Leilani Kapinus

4,525 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by slimecap
LulaBU
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Since I haven't seen her even mentioned, here she is. Anyone have any inside scoop on her?

She is a 5-10 guard out of Madison Memorial HS in Wisconsin. I know she listed BU as one of her 15 finalists and was at one point ranked by ESPNW at #9 in the country. She is currently at #22 by Prospects Nation.

HustleBear
Oh she's been mentioned. Doesn't seem to be that far along in her recruitment.
CHP Bear
What? No UCONN! Seems to me UCONN would complete the list of favorites. When I saw the list my first reaction was, "Wheel Of Fortune."
LulaBU
Leilani Kapinus is touted as being a great defensive player with off the charts athleticism. Her description below reminds me of a shorter Didi Richards. With Kim's unrelenting focus on defense, I believe this young lady would be the right fit for our program.
Quote:

Defense seems to come naturally to her, but her offense is developing quickly. "She was the heart and soul of our team this year," Levy said. "She is a freakish rebounder, just rips them down. She plays wing for us, but when she gets a rebound, she goes. That's where she thrives."

Flowers has given Kapinus man-to-man defensive assignments that range from an extremely quick 5'2 guard to a 6'2 post such as Wisconsin-Green Bay recruit Julia Hartwig of Janesville Parker.

"Leilani's close-out speed is remarkable. and it catches people by surprise," Flowers said. "Defensively, she's a game wrecker."
Here's the link to the full article:
Leilani Kapinus Makes Late Push on ESPNW Hoopgurlz Recruiting Class Rankings
BaylorBearWBBFan
Leilani tore her ACL on November 30, but there is a video of her guarding Paige Bueckers and she was very impressive. Would probably play a lot of two-guard here.
LulaBU
Who did she sign with?
Dcheetah
Penn State
BUbackerinET
I don't see them on her list - am I missing something?
Dcheetah
they were not but that is who she committed to. Maybe their insigna was hidden under the question mark...Sorry, thats all I know.
BU71
LulaBU said:

Who did she sign with?
ESPN has the Penn State logo on her profile and shows her to be signed, http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/235774
BaylorBearWBBFan
Marquette was included on her list and was somewhat of a hometown school, and Carolyn Kieger was building up a terrific program. Since then, she had left Marquette for Penn State. That likely explains it.
slimecap
Found this article in my computer bookmarks

"The 5-foot-11 Kapinus had said last week that her five finalists were the University of Minnesota, LSU, Arizona, Penn State and the University of Wisconsin.

Kapinus, one of the top female basketball players in the state and one of the top recruits nationally in the class of 2020, is coming back from knee surgery after injuring her right knee (torn ACL) during the Spartans' fifth game last season at Madison East.

Kapinus in the video on Twitter thanked her family, friends and teammates for their support during her journey recovering from the injury. She also said she was grateful to the 40 other schools that offered her scholarships prior to announcing she had committed to Penn State."

- Jon Masson, Wisconsin State Journal, 20 Nov 2019
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.