Cal HC hired as assistant coach for NBA Cleveland

2,184 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by slimecap
slimecap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"NBA Cleveland Cavaliers have hired Cal Berkeley women's coach Lindsay Gottlieb to be an assistant coach on John Beilein's staff. Gottlieb -- a Final Four and seven-time NCAA tournament head coach for the Golden Bears -- is the first women's collegiate head coach recruited to an NBA staff."

Link
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26956684/cavaliers-hire-cal-women-coach-gottlieb-staff
GarlandBear84
Maybe she got tired of losing to Baylor in the NCAA tournament.
EatMoreSalmon
Better pay for her work, I imagine.
Meladee
I'm really pleased how the NBA is making a concerted effort to bridge the gender gap
willtalk
EatMoreSalmon said:

Better pay for her work, I imagine.
Next, to Tara, I believe she was the highest paid Women's coach in the Pac 12. Even though her record was not equal to the talent on her team she was pretty much set for the remainder of her contract. She would have been too expensive to buy out. She certainly wasn't working for peanuts.
DFW Bill
She has a reputation as a players coach, good recruiter and very smart. Her contract extension at Cal goes through 2021, I believe her base was around $700,000. , plus incentives

The NBA plays most assistant coaches over $1,000,000., some make well over $2,000,000.

I do not remember anything negative about her.
PartyBear
I didn't see this here. Just posted on the men's board.
Lone Star
Wow! Big hole in the Cal program. They lost their top 2 coaches to professional jobs. Gottlieb a good coach and a better person. Well deserved and I think she will do well in the NBA.
slimecap
Cal hires Charmin Smith as the new head basketball coach.

"Smith was hired as an assistant with the WNBA's New York Liberty in April, but she returns this month to the place she's helped turned into a perennial national contender. Smith was an assistant at Boston College (2003-04) and Stanford (2004-07) before joining Cal's staff under Joanne Boyle in 2007. In 2012-13, Gottlieb promoted Smith to associate head coach in Berkeley, and she helped the team advance to the program's first-ever Final Four."

- Rusty Simmons, San Francisco Chronicle, 21 June 2019
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.