Baylor's second team this year - WBB

14,997 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by abefroman
Tylerbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think Baylor's second team would finish second in the Big 12 this next year and be a sweet 16 team on its own
Anyone disagree?
Bearprof
I think you are right.
5 - Egbo
4 - Bickle - I like her as an outside option and her BB IQ is very high. She's also very physical and already looks to have trimmed off some weight as her knee has continued to heal (if the summer videos are any indication).
3 - DeCosta - potential lockdown defender, the most athletic player on the team other than Moon, great offensive rebounder, and she is a legit 3-point threat.
1/2 - Grayson/Moon
Baylor Dad in Va.
No doubt about it, this is the most talented team depth-wise Kim has ever coached. Baylor has truly become an elite program.

We now only recruit the elite of the elite. It has become rare that we take anyone that is not one of the top few at their position in the country,
Starting with the 2015 class, according to Hoopgurlz recruiting class rankings, Baylor has had the #4, #2, #7, #1 classes, (no ranking for 2019, only signed J.O. #4 G in the country). No other school, not even UConn - that dominated for so long, has done as well.

We can easily put any number of #2 teams together that would be capable of winning the conference, and maybe even going undefeated in the Big12. We actually saw that last year when Kim let our freshmen play some extended time in the non close games
zt1014
I mean Texas won't a slouch though. Yes Coaching is rough, but y'all are forgetting they will have experience and talent.

PG - Higgs
SG - Sutton
SF -
PF - Holmes
C - Collier

Higgs/Sutton combo will be a quick and talented guard duo.
Baylor Dad in Va.
zt1014 said:

I mean Texas won't a slouch though. Yes Coaching is rough, but y'all are forgetting they will have experience and talent.

PG - Higgs
SG - Sutton
SF -
PF - Holmes
C - Collier

Higgs/Sutton combo will be a quick and talented guard duo.
Yeah, they will have some talent, but you forgot that K.A. is their coach. I have faith Kim could beat her even with our seconds.
zt1014
Yes, but experience and talent play huge roles too. Higgs being a 5th year, Sutton & Holmes both Senriors also works in their favor.

Both of those guards are quicker than HSG. Both post are bigger than Egbo and Bickle. I love Mulkey and have all faith in her, but idk about that full 2nd string beating them. Maybe if they were Seniors also.
SirBearALot
Ok. I am confused..I get the second team roster. But where does Erin fit. Is she first string and you let Smith be the sixth man off the bench ? (Sixth woman for all you PCers)..or have you relegated Erin to third String. I am telling you she will help us a ton. In our system she will shine!!!
SirBearALot
I don't think Texas will have much depth..our gang of 13 will wear them down early...jmho
zt1014
I agree. They are adding 5 new players. But you can't deny they talent and experience they have returning.
Chibears2
SirBearALot said:

Ok. I am confused..I get the second team roster. But where does Erin fit. Is she first string and you let Smith be the sixth man off the bench ? (Sixth woman for all you PCers)..or have you relegated Erin to third String. I am telling you she will help us a ton. In our system she will shine!!!
I think Erin is being underestimated a bit. Think she will be a great help in this system with this coaching staff, S &C/ nutritional programs, and being back playing in front of family and friends. She has a lot of ground to make up, but she will be senior motivated....
Bearprof
If Erin can give 12-15 quality minutes per game, then Cox can play more at the 4 (her natural position) and can play fewer minutes to keep her fresh in March.

I think Egbo and Erin will compliment each other very well.
blueeyedbear
I witnessed 2 practices where the fab 5 gave the starters all they could handle. Another time CKM put Richards at the point and fab 5 would have beaten the starters if Queen had hit her free throws at the end of the game.
They may not be able to go undefeated in the Big 12 this coming season but they could more then hold there own maybe 2 losses at Texas and OKC or WV.
W's over the rest.
Dcheetah
Can you expound a little more on what you saw from our backup players in those scrimmages that we may not have seen in their limited time on court. PG besides Didi, vocal leaders style of play -more 3s going up? D s'ils? Thx!
blueeyedbear
Dcheetah said:

Can you expound a little more on what you saw from our backup players in those scrimmages that we may not have seen in their limited time on court. PG besides Didi, vocal leaders style of play -more 3s going up? D s'ils? Thx!
ATHLETES !! GOD GIVEN ATHLETIC TALENT !! Yes more 3's, drives into the paint and spins and dump off passes to open players when defense collapsed on driver. HSG ran point so did Trinity even DeCosta took a turn. Outstanding Quickness in getting to loose balls.
Not as much communication with each other until DiDi came over and then they really started to click. I knew LC was a coach on the floor - I was surprised to find out that DiDi knows the game and is almost as good a coach on the floor as LC in directing teammates where to go and when to move. She is more vocal than LC.
All 6 can rebound ! I am reminded what Lobo said at NC game - "rebounding is not always about being the biggest - its about effort and quickness too"
No offense to KB but they made her look slow - but she put a few of their shots into the cheap seats too. Biggest positive to me - starters never got a fast break - any breakout was covered by half court. I was surprised how fast and quick Trinity and HSG and even Bickel were. Egbo, DeCosta and Smith were rockets compared to KB and LC and LC is not a pedestrian !!
We all know that you only see the tip of the iceberg - believe me there is a lot more below the water line to what I call the fab 6 then we have seen in games.
I really like Trinity at Point - very good instincts and makes good decisions with passes. HSG is a little bit more talented but I would not want have to live on the difference. I can't wait to see Jordan Oliver at point. She was rated 12 but from what little I have seen she is much better than that. I hear that she has been very impressive to her new teammates in the pickup games the team has been playing.
DeCosta is an ASSASSIN at the 3 pt. line and if you crowd her she can blow by her defender for a mid ranger or take it to the rim and I have seen her almost dunk a ball when she has a full head of steam. Trinity and HSG can shoot shot for shot with Juicy.
Bickel has a better 3 pt. shoot then she has shown in games. She is not afraid to mix it up with the trees - she reminds me a lot of Rachell Allison.
Dcheetah
Thank you for the great info. Do you think HSG is quick enough to play pg? I thought she got to the rim well but seemed to have trouble keeping people in front of her on D. May have been the knee and brace.
BaylorBears_254
First team will be Cooper, Juicy, Didi, Smith, Cox
Second team can go either way
LadyBears42
HSG doesn't have a problem keeping anyone in front of her no more than they all do. No one on the team plays perfect defense....smh because every team we play puts up numbers, which means someone lost their man.
The kid is extremely talented and can rock at the highest level with THE BEST of them. She is just being overlooked and under appreciated. She has two choices get the hell up outta there and go somewhere where she's appreciated or continue to sit there and be overlooked.
Hairy Bear
BaylorBears_254 said:

First team will be Cooper, Juicy, Didi, Smith and Cox.
I agree but Queen will be first off the bench in many of the games and will see significant playing minutes.
CavalryRoadie
LadyBears42 said:

HSG doesn't have a problem keeping anyone in front of her no more than they all do. No one on the team plays perfect defense....smh because every team we play puts up numbers, which means someone lost their man.
The kid is extremely talented and can rock at the highest level with THE BEST of them. She is just being overlooked and under appreciated. She has two choices get the hell up outta there and go somewhere where she's appreciated or continue to sit there and be overlooked.
Under appreciated by whom? If it's just some fans, who cares? I seriously doubt HSG is under appreciated by CKM.
Dcheetah
She is not unapprexiated or overlooked. I think we are all excited to see what she can do without a brace. I asked a question, not a criticism. And yes she did get beaten more off the dribble than Juicy or Moon or even Chloe. I also realize she was coming off an injury and playing in a knee brace. I am hoping she is fully healed and confident in her knee and has a breakout seaqon. She is a very good shooter and I hope will really help with spreading the floor and hitting some 3s. Skilledup has been on here and really sung her praises. Mulkey plays the best players who do what she wants on the floor. If HSG does that she will get plenty of time. We all hope she does.
Dcheetah
Thumbs down sign was accidentally bumped. Sorry.
LadyBears42
We are going to agree to disagree on the "being beat off the dribble more than anyone". Everyone was being beat off the dribble.Lol. I'm over the double standards that surrounds this team. I can name a few of the "favorites" who get beat constantly on defense but I'm not going to name names. Like I said, no one plays perfect defense and not only that, the hardly played so, no can truly determine what she can do. That's just the bottom line. She needs to be let loose, they holding the darn kid back bottom line. And for the record, I'm not upset with your opinion cause that's all it is. The kid is DEFINITELY being overlooked BECAUSE she's not appreciated and I'm going to leave it at that. Can't no one stop that kid and given the darn time, that kid will demolish anyone you put in front of her. TRUST ME I KNOW!
Just stop talking about her because y'all don't know nothing about her, TRUST ME I KNOW.
Like I said, she needs to get the heck outta there or continue to sit there and be overlooked. I'm over the double standards.
Chibears2
I think Honesty is much appreciated! And I hope she is more patient than you. If you expect to perform at the highest level for a championship program, you have to "apprentice" by observing the older players, put in the time to perfect your game, and continue maturing as a player. HSG has three championship rings and has cut down four nets. She plays for a coach who has gotten players in the WNBA, a league notoriously hard to break in to because of limited slots. And for heaven's sake, she is only a freshman... I think Honesty will have a great and very productive future and be a major contributor if she stays here.
UBBY
So is this the part where we freak out over who is going to leave or stay? I guess we should expect HSG to be gone soon according to LadyBears42.
BaylorBears_254
LadyBears42 is either a parent or family member of Honesty.

I hope he/she isn't because that would definitely speak volumes on how Honesty actually feels towards Mulkey and Baylor.

Honesty is not overlooked or under appreciated, she was simply a freshman last year and had freshman growing pains.
Just because she didn't get the PT you may have thought she deserved does not mean any of that you were pertaining to.

Im sure if she sticks here, she will receive many minutes as a SOPH, she should be the first guard off the bench in my opinion (if she's as good as advertised).

And if she's better she'll be the starter and Cooper will be first off the bench.
baylor1984
Not for one second do I believe that KM plays favorites. I've watched the Lady coach for almost 20 years now and haven't seen any evidence of it. Kim coaches hard and loves to win to much to do something like that.
LadyBears42
LadyBears42 is not a parent nor a family member. I'm sure you wish I were so, it could validate your statement. First of all HSG is a loyal kid however, she's loyal to a default. Her parents are to laid back if you ask me. She's better (as advertised) than whats being perceived right now. And if I were a family member, I would have absolutely no problem saying it. She played with my daughter and mentors my youngest daughter. You CLEARLY want people to think negative about her to assume how she feels. Get on out of here. Are you a HSG HATTER!? It is what it is, the kid has major support outside of her parents and family. I am a supporter who knows her well. And I personally don't care for the double standards that surrounds the team, bottom line. CKM plays favorites and her favorites friends.
It's pretty obvious how under appreciated HSG is because every time someone does get on here in support of her, people like you try to turn a positive into a negative. Let her support, support her. Now you go on somewhere and have a great day Coach!
BaylorBears_254
LadyBears42 said:

LadyBears42 is not a parent nor a family member. I'm sure you wish I were so, it could validate your statement. First of all HSG is a loyal kid however, she's loyal to a default. Her parents are to laid back if you ask me. She's better (as advertised) than whats being perceived right now. And if I were a family member, I would have absolutely no problem saying it. She played with my daughter and mentors my youngest daughter. You CLEARLY want people to think negative about her to assume how she feels. Get on out of here. Are you a HSG HATTER!? It is what it is, the kid has major support outside of her parents and family. I am a supporter who knows her well. And I personally don't care for the double standards that surrounds the team, bottom line. CKM plays favorites and her favorites friends.
It's pretty obvious how under appreciated HSG is because every time someone does get on here in support of her, people like you try to turn a positive into a negative. Let her support, support her. Now you go on somewhere and have a great day Coach!

Lol look here lady, dude or whatever you may be. I dont have to get on this gotdamn site to hate on a 18/19 yr old girl who represents Baylor. if you check the past threads, i SUPPORT every girl on the team on this site and id do so in real life.
Dont come at me like that at all because i definitely didnt come at you that way, so show respect and you'll receive it. And to think im a Honesty hatwr is just hilarious when i said she'd be a starter or FIRST GUARD off the bench!

Now that that's out of the way, WHO DOES KM PLAY FAVORITES WITH! Please tell me!

Chloe did something that many guards CANT do, and thats come in as a Grad Transfer and win a Championship and replace a Guard who i expected to be the best guard that's came to Baylor behind Sims in Morris.

Juicy waited her time and does things on both ends of the court and is by far our best 3 point shooter and played great defense. Is Honesty more talented? could be.

Moon brings a spark, do i think Honesty is better than her? yes. But its not about whos BETTER, its about the TEAM and what that player brings in that moment.

Cooper is a Grad Transfer and is definitely the real deal. You saying KM plays favorites to those who are "friends" of those favorites lets me know that you're definitely referring to Cooper. Cooper is not set on being a starter, if Honesty is better and proves herself even more, she'll be a damn starter.

STOP GETTING YOUR FEELINGS HURT BECAUSE PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS, sheeesh CHILL.

lSo with that said, YOU GO ON SOMEWHERE
blueeyedbear
Double Standard ??!!?? That's an incredible statement ! Based on what/who exactly ? I am curious who Ladybears 42 thinks HSG should have been getting minutes instead of ????? Sounds like comment is based more on emotion or personal involvement rather then the facts.
Calling people on this blog HSG haters is sad and the animosity Ladybears42 has towards CKM is pathetic. The question is why ?
It is amazing to me that CKM welcomed in a friend of Chloe to the team and you think that's a double standard or playing favorites. She was not given any promise of starting or playing time. She has to earn it so does Honesty Whoever ends up as the starting PG we will be better for it because of the competition for the spot !! Its called TEAM something Ladybears42 seems to know nothing about.
No one on this blog has had anything but positive things to say about HSG. One inquired if she could keep players in front of her Ladybears42 goes off into some rant that is not accurate. Fact is Honesty's lateral movement was restricted by the brace she was wearing. To put it in plain English she was a statue on defense on the perimeter this season with that brace on. That's the cold hard fact !! That's why she did not get minutes nothing to do with favorites or double standards. The brace is off now so I hope Honesty will have confidence in her lateral mobility and she will be the player everyone on this blog hopes she will be. What we do not need is someone poisoning a young persons head with such nonsense like you have expressed here. They have enough drama to deal with as it is.
I have watched Baylor women's basketball since 1974, I was on the original dream team and I can say categorically that no freshman has come into the Baylor women's program and been ready to play defense at the D1 level !! Not even Griner she had plenty of what I call "matador defense" (wave at the ball as it goes by into the net). And defense expectations at BU since CKM's arrival has become even more challenging.
We all have our favorites two of mine barely played at all this year. To insinuate this past year and coming year will be a waste of time is myopia x 10. First of all - HSG will have gotten 2 years of a top flight education at Baylor University, Secondly all the ladies got to cut down the nets for a big 12 Regular Season Championship, Big 12 Tournament Championship, a Regional Championship and the cherry on top a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. That can never be taken away from them its special only a very few experience that in life. What does the TV credit card add say "PRICELESS" There can be more of those moments again this season.
What I can say to Ladybears42 is give CKM and Staff AND HSG a chance. She is out of her brace now, she had a chance to sit and learn what it takes to play at the D1 level and the CKM level. She is in the offseason weight and conditioning program get stronger, faster, quicker, develop her game so she makes it impossible for CKM to sit her. It's called competition it's were you separate yourself from the ones who want it and the ones who maybe have more talent but go through the motions instead. Does she take advantage of it that's up to HSG but putting thoughts like "your not getting to play because coach is not fair" or "coach has a double standard" or "coach plays favorites" is toxic to HSG and this team and not welcome if that's what is going on here Ladybear42 is right she does not need to be here take that BS down I-35 to Texas they seem to enjoy the drama down there or take it somewhere else. I have seen to way to many haters like Ladybears42 poison young athletes minds with their personal bias and blind animosity and the consequences have been tragic and can ruin a life.
CKM is VERY loyal she plays those she feels she can trust. Prime example she put Moon in instead of Queen in the NC game final minutes. Turns out she was right Moon smothered Arike and she never had a chance to hit the winning 3. Not a slight to Queen at all. Coaches have to make those kind of decisions on the spur of the moment and then live with those decesions.
Chloe Jackson was a projected late 3rd round WNBA draft pick prior to coming to Baylor. Getting picked that late she would have been dropped by now but one year under CKM and staff she vaulted into the top of the second round and several of those who were picked ahead of her have been dropped by their teams it's not an accident she is still playing. That speaks volumes how valuable one year under CKM can be what do you think can happen in 3 or 4 ?? PATIENCE !!!
Bearprof
The more I see of Honesty, the more I think she is a 2. She can flat out slash to the bucket and since that knee brace will be off, she'll be even quicker.
LadyBears42
I will not even read all this BS you wrote. Because like I said, the kid is under appreciated and overlooked. Bottom Line! I can care less about your OPINION and what you believe is toxic. We can agree to disagree but, your opinion is just what it is, an opinion. AS long as I've known HSG , she is an extremely smart kid and no matter how I feel or what your opinion is. It looks as if she has made her own decision to stay and I'm sure her parents support her with whatever she feels. If she's still there, then that means she is good FOR NOW however, I pray CKM proves me wrong but, the writing is on the wall. So you can take your long written opinion down whatever highway suits YOU best. But again, the kid has 2 choices, sit there and be overlooked and underdeveloped or get the hell out of there and go somewhere where she will be appreciated, developed and supported (more importantly). I've been around this sport for over 40 years. I know the ins and outs of the political BS, the perceptions that's created and I damn sure know favoritism when I see it, it leads to double standards. Which is what this team presents. Come on a blind man can see it.
LadyBears42
My feelings can never get hurt. Sorry try that with someone else. I'm tough as IRON. Like I said, Go on somewhere.
MrGolfguy
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
mimi25408
I wasn't going to say anything but you couldn't be more wrong. "The writing on the wall".... are you serious. Believe me when I tell you she is not overlooked. I have watched enough practices to know that Kim wants her to shine. She said that HSG is the best shooter on the team, she just have to get the defensive part down.

She been here one year and you think she is overlooked and underappreciated? Freshman year is the hardest year. Did you look at the 4 players with the least minutes? Trinity, Bickle, HSG all had braces from injury. Decosta missed a third of the season from foot surgery. HSG knows she is up next.
BaylorBears_254
LadyBears42 said:

My feelings can never get hurt. Sorry try that with someone else. I'm tough as IRON. Like I said, Go on somewhere.

Oh shut up at this point. You're full of it. Might as well change that name as well cause I can't take you serious.
Maybe it's you who should GO ON somewhere.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.