Lady bears non-conference schedule

12,331 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by slimecap
mimi25408
How long do you want to ignore this user?

I for one am not impressed
zt1014
I mean it's decent, but could be better. It also could be worse.

SEC- 2
Big 10 - 1
AAC - 2
PAC 12 -1
geewago
Mighty weak with the exception of UConn. Georgia & SC are great and may be better than expected. Other than that - don't expect overflow crowds to watch those other weaklings.
bearbone11
If Texas and the rest of the Big 12 are as weak as I suspect then we won't have a lot to go on for quality opponents. Probably need to run the table in conference and at most one loss to UConn or USCe if we want a one seed.
R11
gone to Tickfaw
Yaaawwwn. Wake me up in March
slimecap
8 Division I Home Games

0 Sat
0 Sun
1 Mon
2 Tue
2 Wed
2 Thu
1 Fri
WacoKelly83
Indiana should be a good game. They are on the rise it seems.

Plus they knocked Texas out of the NCAA tournament first round last year. Lol. I like em already.
Meladee
I agree with Mimi. I wish we had a few more non-conference challenges.
DanaDane
Coach Kim's facial expressions of disgust at the White House revealed her disdain for fast food, but she and Mack sure have a sweet tooth because they love them some non-conference creampuffs!

Seriously though, I was hoping for a much stronger schedule than that but I'm guessing there aren't a lot of top teams wanting to sign up for a December butt whipping in Waco.
slimecap
Why did Morehead State sign up for 2 years in a row?
Morehead was defeated by Baylor 96-58 in 2018.
It must be the OOC visitor money and/or recruiting in the state of Texas.
baylor1984
slimecap said:

Why did Morehead State sign up for 2 years in a row?
Morehead was defeated by Baylor 96-58 in 2018.
It must be the OOC visitor money and/or recruiting in the state of Texas.
$$$
bawitdaball
To be fair, I'm not that upset by any of this. Even when our conference has a down year, we still have a fairly hefty schedule and get everyone's best shot. South Carolina and Georgia will be good tests, as will UCONN on the road. Muley builds her team up to get them in peak position when needed, and sometimes she is able to use lesser challenging games to work on in-game stuff and see how players navigate the floor together. There is more to it than making sure we have a powerful non-conference schedule. I expect Iowa State, Texas, and maybe even West Virginia to be Top 25 teams - we'll be good, and I just purchased my ticket to Storrs. Stoked!

Chest up, our girls are National Champions - they will get a challenge night in and night out, and sometimes everyone's best shot is all you need for a repeat!
Lone Star
It's a LOOOONG season. I see both sides of the argument however, we will have a much tougher conference then many of the other conferences because of the strength of competition this year. PAC-12 and ACC will be a little "down" this year in terms of strength based on all the graduates from ND and Louisville as well as UCLA and transfers out of USC. Oregon, Stanford, and OSU should be the big 3 in that conference this year.

The early season allows the coaches to see who has progressed over the year/summer and allows the now sophomores, the chance to show their stuff and jockey for higher playing positions during conference play.

It will be nice if we stay healthy the whole year and depth will be our best friend this year, like it was last year.

I would have liked one or two more challenging games in there but, I will presume we just couldn't get them scheduled. Surprised that Stanford did not want to sign on to come to our place as it might help them in what is sure to be a fight in their conference this year between them and Oregon (OSU will probably finish 3rd).
slimecap
Lone Star said:

Surprised that Stanford did not want to sign on to come to our place as it might help them in what is sure to be a fight in their conference this year between them and Oregon (OSU will probably finish 3rd).
Stanford signed to play Texas in Austin on Saturday, Dec 21.
historian
The schedule is a bit underwhelming. The Lady Bears will likely win most, if not all, those games and so should have a good seed in the tournament. It's hard to see it as #1, though, unless the other top teams have too many losses.

slimecap

Oct 30 LUBBOCK CHRISTIAN exhibition

Lauren Cox and her sister Whitney will face each other in this exhibition game.
Baylor Dad in Va.
Well I will join the crowd and say that it is a disappointing out of conference schedule to me.

I don't understand why we couldn't schedule a couple of teams from the major conferences in place of some of our "weakies". Seven games of our schedule look be very very weak.

I have no idea how this schedule will play out but SOS accounts for 75% of the RPI calculation, and the selection committee frequently attributes RPI as a big reason in their selection of number one seeds at the end of the year.

But, I am a lady bear fan and I will be rooting for the team regardless of whom they are playing.
I have no idea as to the difficulty of making a schedule. I am sure there are a lot of factors to be considered and I feel confident that KLM considered them all before she approved schedule.
It is quite possible that we tried to schedule better teams and they refused to play us. Coaches get fired for losing too many games, and signing up to play Baylor is like signing up for a loss with the team we have.
gone to Tickfaw
Granted, we have four of the ESPN's way-to-early-top-25 on the schedule. UCONN. South Carolina. Texas & West Virginia.

But the Two OOC matches are away games.

Slimecaps astute breakdown that none of the big OOC games are on the weekend is telling...

Big matchups and big rivalries create momentum. & support.

To get the students in early... to build the momentum, we need a UCONN, Notre Dame, Maryland in the first two weeks... A kickoff... then a schedule full of P5 schools, which we will mostly destroy.

I'm not going to give up my fun social life of studying to watch us wallop Moorhead State or Lubbock Christian.

I like UCONN's OOC schedule.
fredbear
UConn has absolutely no good teams in conference, so they have to play any good team that will play them before they face the likes of SMU ponies. The comparison does not equate when the big 12 has Iowa's State with a great coaching staff, Texas which recruits at an elite level, and West Virginia who can give anyone heck on any given night.
slimecap
Conferences for 12 Division I Opponents

Power 5
(1) BIG 10 (1) PAC 12 (2) SEC
Others
(2) Amer Athletic (1) Amer East (1) Ohio Valley (2) Southland (1) Sun Belt (1) SWAC
historian
Maybe some of those weaker teams are not as weak as we think. I don't know, I'm grasping. In the end, it may not matter too much. Everyone is already picking Oregon #1 in the preseason. But preseason rankings don't mean anything.

It's way too early to predict anything, but it seems we are destined to have a lower seed in the Tournament. Well, if Baylor sweeps the conference again and also wins the Big 12 Tournament again, then that could be a good warm up for the NCAA Tourney and once we get there we just have to keep winning. It will likely be more difficult but we can still make it to the Final Four in 2020.
Chibears2
I suspect one of the difficulties in scheduling is what Geno mentioned earlier, the lack of ease traveling to Waco. Involves both air travel and bus travel for any team traveling commercially. Can almost double time. A next step in Waco's growth really needs to be accessibility by air. ChiBears2 considering retiring to Waco, but hope to travel. Air flights out of Waco one drawback....
slimecap
fujobear said:

none of the big OOC games are on the weekend is telling

Here is my question
The December schedule for the BIG 12 / SEC Challenge offered opportunities for Saturday and Sunday games. I wonder if Baylor was given the choice to select a weekend game instead of a Wednesday time slot. 4 slots were available for Saturday ... 3 slots were available for Sunday. It will be interesting to see which games are televised on different sports networks.

TechDawgMc
I just don't get playing a weak OOC schedule when you have a great team. Two key problems. There is very little room for error here if the goal is a #1 seed. If we lose at UConn, we really can't lose any other games without putting ourselves at risk, unless the B12 is a lot better than expected this year. The other problem is that most of the games in the FC look like yawners. Maybe Texas and maybe, but highly unlikely, Georgia. Otherwise the best bet for a quality game is probably one of those Iowa State playing over their head matchups.
bawitdaball
TechDawgMc said:

I just don't get playing a weak OOC schedule when you have a great team. Two key problems. There is very little room for error here if the goal is a #1 seed. If we lose at UConn, we really can't lose any other games without putting ourselves at risk, unless the B12 is a lot better than expected this year. The other problem is that most of the games in the FC look like yawners. Maybe Texas and maybe, but highly unlikely, Georgia. Otherwise the best bet for a quality game is probably one of those Iowa State playing over their head matchups.
Exhaustion is one factor - playing months of elite competition wears down a body and fatigue can cause you to lose or run out of steam come March. Also, injuries can always creep up when you are playing your starters 35 minutes a game. And lastly, you need competition that allows you to work on things in an in-game situation - most notably with underclassmen. It is also important to allow upperclassmen to lead, teach, and work on things with new players. There is a system in place and Mulkey and her tremendous staff have lead the Lady Bears to 3 National Championships - I think its best to sit back and realize that she knows exactly what she is doing.
ctxbear
Any guesses on which of those games the banner will drop?

Any chance we can hold out doing it until we host Texas?
slimecap
ctxbear said:

Lamar could be interesting

Lamar head coach Aqua Franklin

Lamar assistant coach Empress Davenport

historian
slimecap said:

Quote:

That would be satisfying for a lot of people but I expect it will probably happen pretty early.

Lamar assistant coach Empress Davenport

The horn sign needs to be turned around!
slimecap

Oct 25 Fri LANGSTON exhibition

Head coach Elaine Powell
Point guard born in Monroe LA
"Spent nearly a decade playing in the WNBA (1999-2008), where she earned numerous awards and honors. Under former coach and Detroit Pistons player, Bill Laimbeer, she was a three time WNBA champion with the Detroit Shock. Prior to her professional basketball career, she was a student athlete at Louisiana State University (LSU), where she was a Kodak All American and finished her career as LSU's 11th all-time leading scorer with 1,163 points. She was the first player in LSU history to be drafted into the WNBA."

- Langston University WBB website
Chibears2
Elaine Powell was a tough competitor in her days as a player. I imagine she'll pass some of that along to kids.
We've played Langston before at home but not sure if she was coaching then ....
Pastorron
the lady knows what she is doing....
mlb60
CKM's philosophy seems to be that the REAL season starts in March, and she builds her teams up to peak then. Suppose for a moment that as defending national champions we run the table during the regular season and the B12 tournament, and that nobody else does that. A lot of things can happen, but that's a possibility and the probability is not terribly low IMO. Could the committee really deny a 1 seed? Yes of course they could, but really?
And the days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days.—Ray Wylie Hubbard
slimecap
Chibears2 said:

Elaine Powell was a tough competitor in her days as a player. I imagine she'll pass some of that along to kids.

Sometimes you get the feeling that Mulkey schedules games
to observe on-court performance of coaches that may be possible future staff prospects.
slimecap

Nov 28 v Washington State Paradise Jam: Reef Division St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

Kamie Ethridge, 1986 Wade Trophy winner for National Player of the Year

Nov 5, 2018

"Why is Kamie Ethridge in Pullman, trying to build a successful Washington State program, something no one else has been able to do? It's because her boss sold her on the job.

"I tell people all the time, nothing was really attractive (about the WSU job), until I met (athletic director) Pat Chun," said Ethridge.

The challenge is immense. Washington State has not had a winning conference record since the 1990-91 season, and just two winning seasons in the past 22 seasons. The Cougars were twice 17-15 under June Daugherty, who was let go after last season, her 10th as WSU's coach. Daugherty missed part of the season with health issues, and there were issues among players.

But Ethridge is used to winning. As a senior point guard at Texas, she led the Longhorns to a 34-0 record and the 1986 national title, the first NCAA Division I women's team to finish a season undefeated. Ethridge, 5 feet 5, was named the national player of the year and then led the U.S. team to Olympic gold two years later.

She began working as an assistant basketball coach in 1987 and began working her way up the college ranks before landing the job as an assistant at Kansas State under coach Deb Patterson in 1996 and soon become the associate head coach. Ethridge stayed for 18 years.

"I know it was not the smartest thing ambition-wise, and you should be looking (for jobs) sometimes with your resume ready and sending it out but I was so invested, and I got to do everything," she said. "I had a lot of ownership in it, but I stayed too long. Then, when I really wanted to leave in the later years, my name wasn't as hot."

When Patterson was let go at Kansas State after the 2014 season, Ethridge realized if she wanted to become a head coach at a major program, she would first need to become a coach at a mid-major. She got that chance at Northern Colorado, leading the Bears to an 83-44 record in four seasons.

"We can't always control if the ball goes in the basket, we can't always control if we're better than maybe a top-five Oregon or a top-two Stanford, but what we can control is we walked in and we played our guts out. We played as hard as we could and we got better," she said.

- Excerpts from an article by Scott Hanson, Seattle Times
slimecap

Nov 19 South Florida

10 of 14 players on the USF roster were recruited internationally
Belgium, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Greece, Italy, Latvia, Portugal & Spain (2)

"Later this summer, Kristyna Brabencova (Czech Republic) will join new USF teammates Tsineke (Greece), Elisa Pinzan (Italy), Beatriz Jordao (Portugal) and Luize Septe (Latvia) in competition at the FIBA U-20 Women's European Championship.

"The one thing these kids are doing this summer is they're playing at a really, really high level," said head coach Jose Fernandez.

- USF WBB website, 25 June 2019
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.