Lady bears non-conference schedule

12,390 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by slimecap
TXtoCO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
slimecap said:

Nov 28 v Washington State Paradise Jam: Reef Division St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

Kamie Ethridge, 1986 Wade Trophy winner for National Player of the Year

Nov 5, 2018

"Why is Kamie Ethridge in Pullman, trying to build a successful Washington State program, something no one else has been able to do? It's because her boss sold her on the job.

"I tell people all the time, nothing was really attractive (about the WSU job), until I met (athletic director) Pat Chun," said Ethridge.

The challenge is immense. Washington State has not had a winning conference record since the 1990-91 season, and just two winning seasons in the past 22 seasons. The Cougars were twice 17-15 under June Daugherty, who was let go after last season, her 10th as WSU's coach. Daugherty missed part of the season with health issues, and there were issues among players.

But Ethridge is used to winning. As a senior point guard at Texas, she led the Longhorns to a 34-0 record and the 1986 national title, the first NCAA Division I women's team to finish a season undefeated. Ethridge, 5 feet 5, was named the national player of the year and then led the U.S. team to Olympic gold two years later.

She began working as an assistant basketball coach in 1987 and began working her way up the college ranks before landing the job as an assistant at Kansas State under coach Deb Patterson in 1996 and soon become the associate head coach. Ethridge stayed for 18 years.

"I know it was not the smartest thing ambition-wise, and you should be looking (for jobs) sometimes with your resume ready and sending it out but I was so invested, and I got to do everything," she said. "I had a lot of ownership in it, but I stayed too long. Then, when I really wanted to leave in the later years, my name wasn't as hot."

When Patterson was let go at Kansas State after the 2014 season, Ethridge realized if she wanted to become a head coach at a major program, she would first need to become a coach at a mid-major. She got that chance at Northern Colorado, leading the Bears to an 83-44 record in four seasons.

"We can't always control if the ball goes in the basket, we can't always control if we're better than maybe a top-five Oregon or a top-two Stanford, but what we can control is we walked in and we played our guts out. We played as hard as we could and we got better," she said.

- Excerpts from an article by Scott Hanson, Seattle Times

I remember watching Etheridge and her sister play in high school. They were an amazing duo but it was easy to spot Kamie as the more talented of the two.
slimecap
Possibility of Baylor ?
Have not seen a press release for the game designated as the 2019-20 Jimmy V Women's Classic.

Press release last year was June 12, 2018. Teams were UConn & Notre Dame.
It would be nice if the Baylor @ UConn game was the site of the Classic this year.
historian
And it would be an obvious choice.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
slimecap
slimecap
Nov 30 vs South Carolina

"Dawn Staley once again confirmed that USouth Carolina will seek a waiver from the NCAA to grant University of Texas transfer Destiny Littleton immediate eligibility, adding that "she's got some history, she's got a story behind that, so hopefully we can put a nice waiver package together to see if we can get her eligible to play this year."

Staley also called Littleton an "X-factor" and stressed that South Carolina "needs" her on the floor this season.

Junior Lele Grissett, who has averaged 3.8 points in 67 career games with Carolina, will switch positions from forward to guard, Staley. At 6-foot-2, she'll be the largest guard on the Gamecocks' roster.

"When we've had big guards, we've won a national championship, so we're just trying to go back down memory lane and hopefully that helps us reach the pinnacle again," Staley said.

- Greg Hadley, The State, 26 Aug 2019

mimi25408
I dont mean to be rude but... I dont see why they are applying for a waiver. She transferred she should sit out. Is dawn that desperate. Her father died but that was during the Longhorns season. I wonder what their reason is on why she cant sit out like a transfer is suppose to. I'm confused.
SCspur
mimi25408 said:

I dont mean to be rude but... I dont see why they are applying for a waiver. She transferred she should sit out. Is dawn that desperate. Her father died but that was during the Longhorns season. I wonder what their reason is on why she cant sit out like a transfer is suppose to. I'm confused.

How is it desperate if Dawn wants her eligible? She's a good player who wants to play. There's obviously more to the story than anyone but she and coaching staff knows so that's why the waiver is going in. If she's eligible then great, if not SC will move along according to plan.
mimi25408
Every player that transfers wants to play..... she no different then anyone else. Like I said it seems like a desperation move... but whatever she plays she plays if she doesnt she doesn't. Dont effect Baylor so ...
SCspur
But that's exactly why she's a applying for it. There's more to the story than fans know... if it doesn't involve Baylor not sure why it was posted here in the first place... but I digress...
willtalk
I have never been a fan of Destiny Littleton game on the court. Always thought she was overrated coming out of high school. She just let herself get out of shape and it changed her game completely. Unless she has put in a lot of work in that area, I just don't see her as much of a difference-maker.
mimi25408
It's a fan board ... that's what people do. I'm not sure why you are so offended. I didn't come at her negative or say anything about her character or how she plays. I said I didn't see why see needs a waiver. PERIOD, im not going retract what I said because you are a SC fan. It's a fan fourm. If you dont like I'm sorry I believe SC has a board just for you.
mimi25408
She is a great shooter. She definitely was out of shape at Texas, but she worked hard and lost some weight. But overall I could never see any value in her because Baylor is always burning Texas. I dont think she fit at Texas so maybe she will play to her potential in SC.
SCspur
I'm not offended is the slightest... just confused about your statement saying Dawn is desperate because she's trying to get Littleton eligible. It seemed like a slight remark. You don't have to detract from saying anything because like you said this is a BU forum but since it's an open one you can state your opinion and I will state mines.
mimi25408
Umm ok
ladybears4eva
Transfers gonna transfer
Scottdye
Good Morning Everyone,

Does anyone know if the Exhibition games will be on Baylor Vision? or the BU App?

So excited to start the chase for a back to back title.

Sic'em
Lone Star
Scottdye said:

Good Morning Everyone,

Does anyone know if the Exhibition games will be on Baylor Vision? or the BU App?

Sic'em
Most likely Baylor vision and you may have to connect on a link the University provides. At least that is how I did it last year for the first 2 games. Had to watch them on the computer or iPad.

I don't like that a lot of the games are now going to be on ESPN+ this year (monthly subscription) versus Fox Sports Networks (just a few games this year). I could see almost every game last year on DirectTV, now I have to go buy Apple TV and then subscribe to ESPN+ if I want to watch in the TV (versus iPad).

Guess Cable/Satellite TV is going to die a slow death to all the subscription streaming.
Lone Star
mimi25408 said:

Because they CAN apply for a waiver and the odds are about 1/4 she might get it. However, I doubt it also because of the transfer and the fact she played a full season for them.

Sedona Prince has a better story in her transfer then just about anyone else and yet she will most likely sit out again this year due to transfer rules as Oregon has lost the first appeal but I heard they may be "appealing the appeal?". LOL.

historian
Lone Star said:

Scottdye said:

Good Morning Everyone,

Sic'em
Most likely Baylor vision and you may have to connect on a link the University provides. At least that is how I did it last year for the first 2 games. Had to watch them on the computer or iPad.

I don't like that a lot of the games are now going to be on ESPN+ this year (monthly subscription) versus Fox Sports Networks (just a few games this year). I could see almost every game last year on DirectTV, now I have to go buy Apple TV and then subscribe to ESPN+ if I want to watch in the TV (versus iPad).

Guess Cable/Satellite TV is going to die a slow death to all the subscription streaming.

Instead of buying Apple TV, buy a Firestick from amazon. They are sometimes on sale cheap (mine was $25) and provides access to all the subscription services you will want (ESPN+, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc). Another option is a Roku. Really, any similar device will work. There's no need to go all out with extra expense unless you want to.

If there's enough content on ESPN+ that you want to watch, then $5 a month is not much and it's definitely worth it. But that's a decision each person has to make for themselves.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
SSadler
slimecap said:

Chibears2 said:

Elaine Powell was a tough competitor in her days as a player. I imagine she'll pass some of that along to kids.

Sometimes you get the feeling that Mulkey schedules games
to observe on-court performance of coaches that may be possible future staff prospects.
Slime, you are bona fide as a poster certainly, but if you are serious . . . this is a real reach.

Hurry up November!!
slimecap

NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP CELEBRATION
Nov 5, 2019

Jacques Strap
I want the games to start NOW!
historian
Waiting is so hard!

Worst part for me is I cannot go to the game next week--prior commitment. But I plan to go to the Oct 30 game--even if it means going back Thursday for the football game. It's only 85 miles!

Sic 'em Bears!
slimecap
2019-20 SEC PreSeason Media Poll

01 South Carolina vs Baylor Nov 30 St. Thomas USVI
02 Texas A&M
03 Mississippi State
04 Kentucky
05 Arkansas
06 Tennessee
07 Auburn
08 LSU
09 Missouri
10 Georgia @ Baylor Dec 4 Waco TX
11 Alabama
12 Florida
13 Ole Miss
14 Vanderbilt
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.