Time to retire #42

7,285 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TXtoCO
ctxbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It has been noted many times on this board that the one thing holding BG's number back from being retired is the fact that she never graduated. It'll be interesting to see how many Baylor fans will support it being retired now that this is no longer an issue. There is now no reason it shouldn't be.

https://www.wacotrib.com/sports/baylor/lady_bears_basketball/griner-the-graduate-headed-to-sixth-wnba-all-star-game/article_deda290f-b0fa-5daa-8646-e1334f444b23.html?fbclid=IwAR35Jma9gs5-rtBTMa-P7agbNGeRENtAa3gqVOmM5gY1k6nvWSXHyBLFca8
Meladee
Just saw this and I agree 100 percent. Glad she has finished. Let's retire it.
chorne68
Proudly hang it.
Dcheetah
I hope this is done. Would be Nice to see her jersey hanging in the rafters.
gold rewards
Enjoyed the article. Griner was very complimentary of the University and Kim Mulkey. Retire the Jersey. Give her the acclamation she well deserves for being a fantastic athlete, a national champion, National Player of the Year, and now an ambassador for Baylor.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Glad she graduated.
slimecap

Old300Bear
Don't hold your breath. She will need to apologize for the untrue things she said about Baylor fans while Kate F a g I n had her hooks in Brittney. Don't think Kim will relent on that.
Fred Barber
Chibears2
I think you might be surprised...
NeuroBear
Look at you. So edgy. Using spaces to try and sneak in a homophobic slur.

Old300Bear
Not a slur. It is her name and it stars it out if you type is correctly.
I am all for Brittney getting recognized, but have heard Kim say more than once in the past that Brittney had to do two things. 1. Get her degree. 2. Apologize to Baylor fans for the untrue things about our fans that were attributed to her.
If you notice, my name is at the bottom of my post. I will own what I say. I am sometimes wrong , but my mistakes are honest mistakes.
Fred Barber
Chibears2
I read the book. Thought it was a little unfair to Kim, and I thought it portrayed only the negative part of the portrait of Baylor fans, but didn't necessarily think the negative that WAS portrayed was entirely false; it just left an incomplete, and therefore, somewhat unfair to the entire fan base, picture of Baylor and its people.

The story was about how Brittney felt at that time, and I think it would be unfair to ask her to apologize for how she felt or for verbalizing that.

What I would hope for is that our leadership could model Christ and forgive, and that a more mature Brittney could verbalize that she really is now comfortable in her own skin, that Baylor is and always will be, a significant part of her history, and that maybe she was more accepted and beloved than she ever realized.
Chibears2
And as an addendum to that, I think there are a lot of backdoor channels that could help that happen.
NeuroBear
Then why not just type her name instead of adding spaces? Because you're trying to highlight a three letter slur. At least have the courage to admit that's why you did it. Don't try and play dumb or innocent. I doubt you're either.
fubar
NeuroBear said:

Then why not just type her name instead of adding spaces? Because you're trying to highlight a three letter slur. At least have the courage to admit that's why you did it. Don't try and play dumb or innocent. I doubt you're either.
Kate ***in.

That's what happens when you type her name. Don't fall and hurt yourself getting off your high horse.
Old300Bear
NeuroBear said:

I did it for exactly the reason I said. Not playing at anything.
Fred Barber
ftblbob5
If Kim is OK with retiring BG's number, i'd Be just fine with it. Griner was certainly in a class by herself despite Baylor having a lot of terrific players in women's basketball.
2022 Adopt A Bear: Jackie Marshall - 6'3",281, R-Fr, East St. John HS, LaPlace, LA

Respect the game.
Malbec
NeuroBear said:

If those are your first two posts after almost two years on the forum, you might want to wait another 4 years instead this time for post #3.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
NeuroBear said:

Get over yourself. We *** out slurs and other items.
Old300Bear
I PM'd Neuro and we are all good. Just a misunderstanding.
Fred Barber
bawitdaball
I thought Kim and Baylor doesn't retire numbers - just something in the hallway that the girls walk by before every game. Could be wrong, but there are several other players who would deserve the honor if it was handed out.
slimecap

MrGolfguy
Retiring BG's #42 should be a slam dunk
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
NeuroBear
Lol. K, thanks Mom.
Malbec
NeuroBear said:

Lol. K, thanks Mom.
Well, that's an improvement. Now eat your vegetables.
CNC
So to recap:
1. Baylor should retire #42. I agree. Whatever happened in the past...let it go.
2. Old300Bear is actually a good guy. I think he was "OwlBear" back in the day; had a son play FB at Rice.
drahthaar
I'm of the old school--probably archaic one--of not making icons of people until a larger life story has been written. Don't retire jerseys or enshrine people in "halls of fame" based on athletic success alone but on a larger body of work that brings honor to both individual and institution.
Old300Bear
CNC said:

So to recap:
1. Baylor should retire #42. I agree. Whatever happened in the past...let it go.
2. Old300Bear is actually a good guy. I think he was "OwlBear" back in the day; had a son play FB at Rice.

Thanks for the compliment. I was actually LubBear until I no longer lived in Lubbock. Who knows what Kim will do on this. I was just going on what I have heard her say in the past. And yes my son did play for Rice. He is now an attorney in Waco.

Fred Barber
BaylorTaxman
bawitdaball said:

I thought Kim and Baylor doesn't retire numbers - just something in the hallway that the girls walk by before every game. Could be wrong, but there are several other players who would deserve the honor if it was handed out.

We have retired numbers/jerseys. They used to hang in the rafters but now reside in the main lobby of the Ferrel Center
IslandBear
Time to retire #42 but the greatest Baylor jersey retired by Kim will always be #5.
TechDawgMc
The list of retired jerseys that I'm aware of:

Eppers (23)
Lambert (31)
Young (33)
Jones (5)
Sims (0)

Griner is a rather obvious one to add to that list. It appears that any animosity has been cleared up; I agree that forgiveness should be the way Baylor approaches the issue.
PapaBear6
Has BG graduated yet? I believe I read once that CKM won't retire a jersey unless they graduate.
zt1014
If you read the article at the top of the post you would understand why this is now being brought up again.
CarmelBear
Baylor shouldn't hesitate to retire her number now that she has graduated. I would hope they can do it this coming season.
CNC
After Griner's 42 (which I agree, I hope they do it this year), who do you think will be next? Or do you think they'll wait for a while?

I assume top choices are:
Cox #15
Brown #21
Nina #13

The 2005 & 2012 NC teams are represented. Thinking 2019 NC team will in time.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.