Ducks

17,348 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by slimecap
fredbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
With their returning roster, and "we will not let it slip away again" attitude the Oregon team will be one to watch. My top 5 teams are:

1. BU
2. Ducks
3. UConn
4. Stanford
5. A&M

Yours?
jumpinjoe
Based on Baylor's color on new uniforms recently announced, which is so similarly matching to Oregon's colors, when we play Oregon in the national championship game this year, will You be able to tell which one is Baylor from Oregon if not familiar with personnel?
Joined BaylorFans in 1999 under username jumpinjoe. Have always been Jumpinjoe. Proud 4 Year Baylor letterman and 1968 graduate and charter member of Quartermiler U, produced school record in 400 IH.
Lone Star
Yes. I believe that Oregon (no less then through their own actions) is the team to beat. Anything less then NC would be an upset/disappointment. Nice to not have that target on your back through the season (like we did last year after we beat UConn).

Not sure UConn will be that good this year. They lost a lot in Samuelson and Collier. It depends on how Ododa develops as their big.

I think Stanford is going to be a real force in the PAC-12, as well as nationally, and should be fun to watch them play Oregon this year. Oregon State may also sneak in their somewhere.

BaylorBearWBBFan
Stanford, Oregon, and Oregon State are all teams I would not want to see in the Tournament, before the championship of course.

Oregon State has obviously given us their fair share of struggles over the past few years. They still have three of the five starters from the team that beat us, plus they now have Destiny Slocum. If Taylor Jones, Kennedy Brown, or one of the 6'7 or two 6'9 girls can step up and play the 5, I could see them becoming very problematic.

Oregon, obviously, will be loaded. If DiDi can guard Sabrina the same way she did last year, we can surely win. The Cox and NaLyssa vs. Hebard and Sabally is a really solid, and quite honestly a pretty equal front court matchup (I still give us a slight edge).
slimecap

April 5, 2019

"Ionescu shot 6-of-24 (25%) from the field, her third-worst field goal percentage in a game this season. Didi Richards and Juicy Landrum were her primary defenders as she went 5-of-20 against those two combined."

Eball
I believe prior to the two transfers we were likely going to be ranked behind Oregon at #2...by most pundits and services...now I think we have a much stronger case from an overall strength of roster and depth.

I think we should be #1 and Oregon #2 until the games indicate something different. They will be very good but so will we. Our defense and inside play on offense should still give us an advantage in head to head.
greggor25
Oregon will be the team to beat this year. They will be out for blood when they play us again.
Dcheetah
We should have several things in our favor with Oregon in a rematch not even taking personnel into account. We will have much better 3pt shooting this year and our D should be more stifling. Minyon Moore is known as a lockdown defender but the rest of that Oregon team has been more O than D focused. We have multiple players at multiple positions capable of lock down D and over a 60 minute game I think that will matter. I also think LC and others have that same passion to return to the podium after the last game.
Steely Dan
Did Miss St. lose a lot? With Vic as their coach, they are always one to watch IMO.
WacoKelly83
Lost a lot but gained a lot via transfers. Just like last year only they don't have another Big T.
Dcheetah
Wbb is getting more and more comptitive. I think UConn-UTenn like runs are a thing of the last. It will take good health and a little bit of luck to be champion. However, I think we will be as well positioned as any to be that team.
Eball
Steely Dan said:

Did Miss St. lose a lot? With Vic as their coach, they are always one to watch IMO.
Big girls like MSU and BU had last year are just rare in the college game but just like BG did not guarantee championships, they sure do help and their ability to do things the other team has no answer for is highly underestimated.

I think our roster overall is much more talented than MSU so we will likely deal with the loss of our big better than they will...however it is going to make a difference.
curtpenn
Just so happens I watched the BU v Oregon game last night (still have the last 4 games of the season recorded). Man, that was so tight for almost the whole game. Could have easily gone the other way. What a tribute to our Lady Bears that it didn't, but I was thinking the Ducks could really be a load next year, too.
UBBY
curtpenn said:

Just so happens I watched the BU v Oregon game last night (still have the last 4 games of the season recorded). Man, that was so tight for almost the whole game. Could have easily gone the other way. What a tribute to our Lady Bears that it didn't, but I was thinking the Ducks could really be a load next year, too.
So will we.
Hairy Bear
My top 4 are,
1. Oregon
2. Baylor
3. Stanford
4. Maryland

Harder to tell about the other traditional power houses such as UConn. Some of them will be in the top tier as well, just harder to anticipate who they will be.
blueeyedbear
curtpenn said:

Oregon will be very good, Stanford will be good but I pick Oregon State to be a real problem by tournament time. If their young players develop which after playing in the PAC 12 (strongest WBB Conference) I do not see how they won't - they will be a really good team. They have a very, very good point guard and 2 @ 6'9", 1 @ 6'7", 1 @ 6'6", 1 @ 6'4" with a 6'3" and 6'2" and couple of 6' shooting guards. Those Erin Degrate doubters out there will be singing a different tune if we draw them anywhere in the tournament !!
UBBY
blueeyedbear said:

curtpenn said:

Oregon will be very good, Stanford will be good but I pick Oregon State to be a real problem by tournament time. If their young players develop which after playing in the PAC 12 (strongest WBB Conference) I do not see how they won't - they will be a really good team. They have a very, very good point guard and 2 @ 6'9", 1 @ 6'7", 1 @ 6'6", 1 @ 6'4" with a 6'3" and 6'2" and couple of 6' shooting guards. Those Erin Degrate doubters out there will be singing a different tune if we draw them anywhere in the tournament !!
I have a feeling Degrate is going to be vital to how this season goes in the tournament.
Lone Star
UBBY said:

blueeyedbear said:

curtpenn said:

I have a feeling Degrate is going to be vital to how this season goes in the tournament.
Well the good thing for Erin is that she will finally be able to develop to her full potential this year as she will be practicing against the likes of LC and Queen during practice. She has never been at a school that has as many talented players with size in the past.
SirBearALot
TEXAS
OREGON
A $ M
BAYLOR

HA HA JUST KIDDING

BAYLOR
OREGON
STANFORD
ORG.STATE
skilledup
Texas A&M should be really good this year and I expect Texas to be pretty good.

Higgs coming back along with Joyner having a complete year without the drama will make them a lot better. With a real coach, they would probably have a season they make an elite 8 run. Texas will probably start 4 McDonald's all Americans this year. I just do not trust the coach as far as X's and O's.

A&M will start 3 McDonald's kids and if they can control the off the court drama, they will be really good also. This A&M team reminds me of the team that won the championship in 2011.

At the end of the day, I expect to see the ducks vs the bears in the championship game. So I guess it may be safe to go to Vegas and bet that a team wearing green and gold wins the wbb National championship game.
slimecap
2019-20 Non Conference Schedule for Oregon

Northeastern. Utah State. Texas Southern. Syracuse. Oklahoma State.
UTA. Louisville. South Dakota State. Long Beach State. UCal Riverside.
Kansas State. UConn.
Steely Dan
skilledup said:

Higgs coming back along with Joyner having a complete year without the drama will make them a lot better....

What's changed in the drama department? I thought KA was the source of a lot of it.
blueeyedbear
skilledup said:

Higgs coming back along with Joyner having a complete year without the drama will make them a lot better. With a real coach, they would probably have a season they make an elite 8 run. Texas will probably start 4 McDonald's all Americans this year. I just do not trust the coach as far as X's and O's.
We all should hope and pray for UT to have a better season this year - last thing we need is for UT to hire a real women's basketball coach !!!
mimi25408
Here is my take on the Oregon vs Baylor game and this coming season.

1.) Both chole and juicy had an off game. Had both of them made the shots that they usually make the game would have been a 10-12 pt victory.

2.) Oregon got away with about 10 moving screens .

3.) Everyone is talking about how good Oregon's offense is but not how good Baylor's defense is.

4.) Although Oregon will return alot of fire power, their offense is predictable. They will run behind screens to shoot 3's and run pick and rolls.

5.) Baylor on the other hand will be on a different ball game. . People forget we beat Oregon without making a single 3 pointer. They are bringing people back but so are we. People will be getting a hefty taste of our number #1 recruiting class that now have a year under their belt. We have good post and deadly 3pt shooter that will get their shine this year.

6.) Now that Kalani is gone I think are tempo goes from fast to turbo. Both Decosta and HSG has moved that can draw and 1's and quickly have the opposing them in foul trouble

Overall Oregon will be hard to beat but... so will we.
blueeyedbear
mimi25408 said:

1.) Both chole and juicy had an off game. Had both of them made the shots that they usually make the game would have been a 10-12 pt victory.

3.) Everyone is talking about how good Oregon's offense is but not how good Baylor's defense is.

4.) Although Oregon will return alot of fire power, their offense is predictable. They will run behind screens to shoot 3's and run pick and rolls.

5.) Baylor on the other hand will be on a different ball game. . People forget we beat Oregon without making a single 3 pointer. They are bringing people back but so are we. People will be getting a hefty taste of our number #1 recruiting class that now have a year under their belt. We have good post and deadly 3pt shooter that will get their shine this year.

6.) Now that Kalani is gone I think are tempo goes from fast to turbo. Both Decosta and HSG has moved that can draw and 1's and quickly have the opposing them in foul trouble

Good analysis mimi25408 ! You missed one important point though - Sabrina's pushing off with her left arm to create space. I counted 2 fouls called on DiDi and two fouls called on Juicy that should have been offensive fouls. One vivid event the broadcasters made a big speech about Sabrina taking a shot to the face from Juicy but completely ignoring the obvious push off before the hand to her face. I am not sure how we counter that other then put it out there in the public view that pushing off is a common tactic she has gotten away with for three years. Maybe Brock since he is the one who sends in the ref evals has an idea how the tactic can be brought to the attention of the officials
BaylorBearWBBFan
Oregon will also have a little bit of a different look replacing Maite Cazorla with Minyon Moore. Moore doesn't really shoot the three, so it actually could help the Baylor defense a little bit as she is easier to sag off of than Cazorla is.

They will be bigger and have better forward/post depth, but I still like our front court over theirs.
CavalryRoadie
mimi25408 said:

Sabally was trying really hard to draw fouls. She was falling down as if she had been shot...glad the refs didn't call those ghost fouls. I expect more of the same, if the LBs play them again.
skilledup
Steely Dan said:

skilledup said:

Higgs coming back along with Joyner having a complete year without the drama will make them a lot better....

What's changed in the drama department? I thought KA was the source of a lot of it.

I was speaking of Joyner when I was talking about drama. Holmes hasn't had a complete off season without some type of off the court issue
ABC BEAR
Regarding the OP: Oregon played all of its tournament games at home until the Final Four, when they lost in the first round. Unlikely they will have the greased rails to the FF like last season, this year they might have to prove themselves in a hostile environment.

They played well against us but choked when the game/season was on the line.
baylor1984
ABC BEAR said:

Regarding the OP: Oregon played all of its tournament games at home until the Final Four, when they lost in the first round. Unlikely they will have the greased rails to the FF like last season, this year they might have to prove themselves in a hostile environment.

Most likely will be in the Portland regional which will give them a Home Court advantage over every team they play in the sweet 16 and elite 8. Hopefully the Lady Bears are in Dallas with the same advantage.
blueeyedbear
ABC BEAR said:

So the reason Oregon lost was because they "choked" !!!
So Baylor women did not win the game Oregon lost the game ???
Reminds me of years ago when Baylor first beat Texas many fans started chanting "overrated - overrated" Made me furious then that their fellow students were essentially saying that the only way Baylor could beat a higher ranked Texas was only because Texas did not deserve their ranking.
Where does this thought process come from ??
Why diminish these wins and take away from theses young ladies who won the game with solid defense and clutch shooting with these ridicules statements that somebody choked or somebody did not deserve their high ranking ??
Did it occur to you that over the course of the game Baylor just wore Oregon's outside shooters down with their pressure defense and by the final quarter when the legs are gone the shots go ???
Can't we enjoy the effort and determination that these ladies played the game with and give them credit for defeating a very good opponent who in hind sight was probably the second best team in the tournament.

historian
In my mind, the #1 team is the reigning national champs until they lose a game.

Baylor
Oregon
U Conn
?

I really have no idea beyond that, although South Carolina could give us some fits this Fall. And we know they will be motivated.
Dcheetah
You nailed it with the D and wearing out their legs. I think our speed and D will be our number 1 advantage. We will also not be outshot 12 to zero from 3 or whatever it was when we played. Finally, I would like to see Kim make a big deal about offensive pushoffs pregame because if we could get a few offensive fouls called early that way, I think it would help our D immeasurably and make them more tentative. Other than Sabally, they really seemed to have trouble separating from our D to get off shots without some major pushoffs.
Dcheetah
So will T'ea
willtalk
I always say that in basketball outcomes are often influenced by matchups and timing. Timing also including if teams are hitting their shots or not. It would also include injuries. For example, if Cox gets injured a couple of minutes earlier in the NCG then ND probably wins. Depth is also important.

Championship teams usually have depth or they will not make it through the NCAA gauntlet. It can be done, but the odds would be against that. It takes a lot of factors coming together to create a championship outcome. That is what makes it such an accomplishment. You can be the best team and still not win.

Last season Baylor was the best team. One reason was that they had plenty of depth. Depth is the greatest insurance one can have for the Matchup and Timing variables. When a starter is having an off day someone else is available to take up the slack.

Oregon's biggest weakness was a lack of depth. Not only did they start with a thin roster, but injuries made them thinner as the season progressed. That was the reason that Stanford beat them in the Pac 12 Championships. Hebert was playing injured. She never recovered and played that way the rest of the season. They were also thin at guard as well due to a late injury. It is no wonder they ran out of gas in the Fourth Quarter. But you see that is all part of the run for a championship.

This is what will make predicting the outcome between Baylor and Oregon so interesting. Oregon appears to have solved all their depth problems for next season. They will be very deep, although Greaves never seems to use his reserves even when he has them. They should be really improved and really strong at the post. Baylor's frosh will have one whole year under their belts, so they should also be improved. Last years should not be the major criteria for judging this year's teams since they will both be different. We could be safe and say that they should be 1and 2 in some order.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.