Brittney Griner fight

7,295 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TXtoCO
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
willtalk
I don't know why Griner is so bent on fighting her. I mean she is not involved in a relationship with her or anything.
SSadler
Doesn't justify the punches, but Griner was being "hooked" at the elbow by defender Anigwe (?).

Griner got "hooked" one time too many time (and shoved) and lost it, absolutely lost it and started swinging.

Griner was ejected for the punches. 5 other players were ejected for coming off the benches for the scrum at midcourt.

Had the stripe not grabbed Griner in almost a "tackle" Griner would have taken it to the other bench.

MrGolfguy
Not a good look
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
Big Bear
If you watch closely, Anigwe had an overhand right to Griner's head before Griner went after her.
gobears20
Staff
fredbear
Yep. In slow motion, u see other player take punches under the basket. BG pauses, reflects, and then explodes. I found it entertaining that the opponent acted like her team had to hold her off once she knew there would be no fight. B4 she was running. My only fear is that teams will now exploit her anger like tech and others did in the big 12. And b4 u lecture me about BG throwing punches In Lubbock, let me say I was there in person and watched brutality against BG only comparable to Louisville mob. They had abused her the whole game. BG will move on and find motivation in this mess.
slimecap
Big Bear said:

If you watch closely, Anigwe had an overhand right to Griner's head before Griner went after her.

"Anigwe was doing the same thing to BG [Brittney Griner] a couple of weeks ago in Connecticut," Mercury guard Leilani Mitchell told reporters after the game. "We just watched the replay and she punched BG first, so of course you can't be mad at BG, she has to protect herself. It got out of hand, that's on the refs, they have to stop that earlier."

- Selby Lopez, Dallas Morning News, 11 Aug 2019
willtalk
It was more of an overhand slap on her part. Didn't put much on it because she was almost running before she finished her downward motion. Watched her play at Cal and was never impressed. The coach sort of babied her. Griner needs to learn how to direct and focus her anger into intensity the game. Some of the greats you never wanted to get them mad because the played twice as hard and destroyed you on the court.
slimecap
willtalk said:

I don't know why Griner is so bent on fighting her. I mean she is not involved in a relationship with her or anything.
????????????
What does a relationship have to do with the incident?

BaylorRocks
Big Bear said:

If you watch even more closely, Griner was forearming and elbowing her around the neck/.head region well before she had had enough. Both instigated it IMO.
WacoKelly83
What you don't see in a short video clip is what happened beforehand. There was some pushing and shoving several minutes before the incident. In my opinion, the refs let it get out of hand before they could stop it.
Mitch Henessey
slimecap said:

willtalk said:

????????????
What does a relationship have to do with the incident?

It was a poor attempt at a Brittney Griner - Glory Johnson domestic violence joke. Because domestic violence is hilarious, and all.
xiledinok
Fwiw, the WNBA is more physical at times than NCAA men's games. Definitely more bad blood on the floor between the women than a bunch of guys who have been playing each other since age 11.
willtalk
I agree, my joke in respect to Griners domestic Violence incident was probable in poor taste in many peoples eyes today. Yet I come from a generation who was not as reactionary and sensitive to certain issues that seems to be the case today. It was meant as a joke and not to be taken seriously. If you would look up my posts in respect to when the incident occurred, you will find that I was actually defending Griner in that case. Not that she was right or wrong, but that relationships can often spiral out of control. We can not make actual judgments because we are not there When we do that it shows our bias or reflects an agenda we wish to promote.

I have always been for and supported equality for women in all area's. I had 3 older sisters whom i respected far more than my older brothers. I still do. Perhaps it is for that reason that I also treat women equally in respect to incidents like this. To many of the Newer women's rights advocates actually, do not hold them as equals reflected in their dancing around on eggs like this. There is always the assumption that it was meant as an attack on women. One reason I am not on the man board is that I prefer and support women's basketball at all levels.

I also believe that the greatest sign of respect you can pay someone is to be honest with them. If they are wrong you tell them. It seems like we now live in a culture that promotes honesty only if it suits our agendas. One thing I have found on Women's Basketball forums is reverse discrimination. On many college sites there is an air of anti-male feelings. They is more often than not a call to hire women replacements rather than the best person for a coaching job. What I really respect Kim for is her honesty and outspokenness even when it might result in negative feedback. Her response to the ND coaches ridiculous statement that she would never hire a male assistant coach spoke volumes. Kim stands by her sense of fairness and that is rare in this PC driven age. Kim catches a lot of criticism with respect to not following the popular PC stances.

I admit I have an off the wall sense of humor and will make jokes about most anything. I especially make jokes about myself. I try never to make jokes about people that I feel actually can not stand up for themselves like the physically or mentally handicapped. But women are not handicapped or incapable of standing up for themselves. Now you might criticize my sense of propriety in respect to my humor, but please do not attempt to make it about it being anti-women. The joke was about two adults. I might admit that perhaps it might have been a cut at those that believe that men are the only ones capable of being abusers in relationships. That sort of anti-male attitude is often found on women's sites. If that intent was so then it certainly was not appropriate. Issues need to be kept separate. We should often reflect on our own motivations.

Oh, i have to add that after reviewing the video in slow-mo it revealed that my first perspective was not correct. I pretty much put it all on Anigwe, the video review in stop-action revealed otherwise. This is another case of how our own personal bias can make us jump to conclusions. I was never a fan of Anigwe and that might have influenced me. Her hit and run was not what it appeared to be. I will not go into detail because other than my perspective on Anigwe I never commented on the incident that led up to the altercation on this site as I did on others. I am just redacting the comment that I feel I was wrong about.
TXtoCO
Anigwe started it by throwing a punch then running away. Then she acted like she wanted some more of Griner when there were 20 people between them.

Anigwe is a big weasel.
gobears20
Staff
Griner weighs WNBA future after brawl

https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Griner-weighs-WNBA-future-after-brawl-539703161.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_KWTX_News_10
TXtoCO
Griner, just like in college, gets beat up more than other players. She and Cambage have to take things into their own hands because the league won't protect them.
CavalryRoadie
I support BG in leaving the WNBA, if that's her decision. The WNBA needs her, more than she needs the WNBA.

Diana Taurasi didn't play in 2015, to honor her contractual agreement with UMMC Ekaterinburg. She was making more than ten times her WNBA salary playing in Russia.

Other than playing near home, what is the benefit of playing in the WNBA for the best players?

WacoKelly83
Mercury's Griner among 5 suspended for fight https://es.pn/33xhzgM

The WNBA has handed down suspensions to five players for their roles in a fight during Saturday's Dallas-Phoenix game, with Mercury center Brittney Griner receiving the longest ban at three games.

Along with Griner, Wings forwards Kristine Anigwe and Kayla Thornton were each suspended two games. Phoenix guard Diana Taurasi and Dallas forward Kaela Davis each received one-game bans and a $500 fine for leaving the bench area, and Mercury forward DeWanna Bonner was fined $500 for escalating the incident.
TXtoCO
WacoKelly83 said:

Mercury's Griner among 5 suspended for fight https://es.pn/33xhzgM

The WNBA has handed down suspensions to five players for their roles in a fight during Saturday's Dallas-Phoenix game, with Mercury center Brittney Griner receiving the longest ban at three games.

Along with Griner, Wings forwards Kristine Anigwe and Kayla Thornton were each suspended two games. Phoenix guard Diana Taurasi and Dallas forward Kaela Davis each received one-game bans and a $500 fine for leaving the bench area, and Mercury forward DeWanna Bonner was fined $500 for escalating the incident.
I think Griner will honor her contract this season but that this will be the last we see of Griner in the WNBA. She really only faces one player that serves as any sort of competition in international play (Cambage), so I don't see the WNBA as a proving ground.
TXtoCO
SSadler said:

Doesn't justify the punches, but Griner was being "hooked" at the elbow by defender Anigwe (?).

Griner got "hooked" one time too many time (and shoved) and lost it, absolutely lost it and started swinging.

Griner was ejected for the punches. 5 other players were ejected for coming off the benches for the scrum at midcourt.

Had the stripe not grabbed Griner in almost a "tackle" Griner would have taken it to the other bench.

Anigwe did not come off the bench. She was the one who initiated the fight by grabbing Griner's arm and punching her in the head, then running like a chicken. Then Thornton punched at Griner while she was being restrained, which resulted in a punch to her head.
historian

“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
BUbackerinET
That wasn't even a fight, that was a Ventura ass-whoopin
historian
It's too bad so many adults have to act like little children before such a large audience. What an embarrassing spectacle!
TXtoCO
historian said:

It's too bad so many adults have to act like little children before such a large audience. What an embarrassing spectacle!
This is world class athletes going head to head, not a Barbie social. Things get heated.
historian
And yet they are still capable of acting like adults instead of children.
Meladee
Holly Rowe interview with Brittney Griner

TXtoCO
historian said:

And yet they are still capable of acting like adults instead of children.
Apparently not.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.