Hailey Van Lith Top 8 schools announced

63,547 Views | 212 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Heart
slimecap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Baylor - Louisville - Notre Dame - Ohio State

Oregon - Oregon State - UCLA - UConn
slimecap
Hailey Van Lith High School Girls' Basketball Profile
by Chris Egan

ScottS
slimecap said:

Baylor - Louisville - Notre Dame - Ohio State

Oregon - Oregon State - UCLA - UConn

Looks like we got some competition.
slimecap
ScottS said:

Looks like we got some competition.
Yep
Heart
Loved watching that video, slimecap! Thanks
I hope HVL seriously considers becoming a Lady Bear and playing for Coach Mulkey! She seems very coachable and driven.
I like her a lot!
hitmanmw
My dream commit!!! Just don't feel very confident. If I had to wager, I'd bet on Oregon State. Hopefully she is open to leaving her home region.
BUbackerinET
This one appears to be in alphabetical order, as opposed to Andrews
DFW Bill
Slimecap put them in alphabetical order. There are two overlaps with Sara Andrews Top 5, Baylor and Louisville. That doesn't mean we will get one or the other, it doesn't mean we can't get them both. It also doesn't guarantee we get one, just saying.

Nice job as usual LMSS.

blueeyedbear
hitmanmw said:

My dream commit!!! Just don't feel very confident. If I had to wager, I'd bet on Oregon State. Hopefully she is open to leaving her home region.
I think she is sweet and sending a little love to all those coaches who went after her really hard.
My opinion: Its really down to three.

Brides Maids
Ohio State - No Chance - Surprised they are even in the running
UCLA - No Chance - This kids town does not even have a stop light - think Beverly Hillbillys in LA !!!! (Don't even think about it - its not a knock on her)
UCONN - Slight chance but again the distance factor and UCONN's last two guard recruits did not perform as well as you would expected in 2019
Oregon State - Chance because they are close
Notre Dame - Chance

Contenders
Louisville - Good Chance - Jeff will run an offense she can be a star in - but can Championships be won ??
Oregon - Good chance - Be the heir apparent to Sabrina - Problem is she will not be their when HVL gets their so no mentor, no serious competition for her to practice against.
Baylor- Good chance - Alexis Jones, Odyssey Simms, Chloe Jackson, Christy Wallace need I go on.

But she is a teenager !! - However I get the sense mom is going to have a big say in this. Remember HVL talking about coming home to mom after a rough practice - - -I think grandma Mulkey might have an edge here. Oh well now its hurry up and wait for HVL to make a decision. I do not think she has had her Official visit yet - love to see her come to a game when the Ferrell Center is packed like last years U Conn game. I guess Georgia might be the one as it might be close enough to Christmas that she can get away for a day or two.

slimecap
blueeyedbear said:

Notre Dame - Chance
Notre Dame 2019-20 Roster

ND 2020 Verbal commits
Natalija Marshall (post) & Allison Campbell (guard)

ND 2020 Recruits Official Visits as of Aug 17
Sep 28 Alasia Hayes & Deja Kelly
Oct 12 Caitlin Clark & Madelyn Westbeld
57Bear
blueeyedbear... said:

... I think grandma Mulkey might have an edge here. ...
Watching the video that slimecap posted, I thought that the intense, competitor CKM might have a good chance if she gets an opportunity to show that passion for the game to HVL.
Dcheetah
Agree with UConn thoughts but for a different reason because if they had room they would be big competition because of her great friendship with Paige Bueckers. She calls Paige her right hand. However UConn has many young guards and needs height.

Louisville will be big competition because they are guard centric as noted here and she has spent weeks playing guard for Walz on the USA team and very possibly has built some strong relationships there.

Oregon has many young guards in the same class and not likely looking for a 1 (they want Caitlin Clark) but not so at Oregon State. They have the bigs, need guards, and are close to home. I think they and Louisville will be our biggest competition.

I am still very hopeful she will sign here. If there was ever a CKM-2 she is it. We have playing time, great complementary players, space at 1 and 2, and her personality and family seem like they would really connect with Kim and her hard teaching. Also, doesn't hurt that we have at least one insider touting our chances. Really really want her to become a Bear. If we could land HVL and SA, Katy Bar the Door!
slimecap
Hailey Van Lith mic'ed up in practice

willtalk
You guys are totally underestimating Oregon St. They have all the bigs they need, but need a point. Goodwin and Slocum will still be there next year, but she would still get playing time at the point because both Slocum and Goodwin are better at the off guard position. The fact that she picked both Oregon schools even though Oregon will have plenty of guards show that those programs will be contenders for top recruits from now on and competition with the schools that used to get the best recruits. I would put Oregon state in among the favorites.
gone to Tickfaw
there's a lot of talent in Texas.

Thankfully.

both the Oregon coaches are likable guys

someone thought distance might be an issue with HVL going to UCONN, but it's a plane flight. Just a bit longer than Waco or Louisville.
blueeyedbear
slimecap said:

Hailey Van Lith mic'ed up in practice

OMG Can you imagine her and DiDi on the same practice court together !! The chatter would be constant and never a dull minute !!
ScottS
Does HVL have a visit to Waco set up?
Dcheetah
I agree with almost all of this. I think Or St has a definite need at PG and good talent at most other positions. I think they will be our main competition for HVL. Not sure what to think about Louisville. They have several advantages mentioned above. I think Oregon is listed as a nod to their long term recruitment and Coach Graves and proximity to home and friendships in recruits. However, they already have 3 PGs coming ( Aussie PG 2019 and Scherr and PaoPao in 2020 not to mention a top 2guard in 2020. Just seems like there are much better opportunities for her elsewhere.
DanaDane
It's a two team race between Oregon St and Oregon, with Oregon St the overwhelming favorite. Baylor has a slim shot and ND and UConn even less of a chance than us. If Andrews shocks and picks UT over us, then our odds for HVL improve, but still most likely she ends up at Oregon St.
bearbone11
DanaDane said:

It's a two team race between Oregon St and Oregon, with Oregon St the overwhelming favorite. Baylor has a slim shot and ND and UConn even less of a chance than us. If Andrews shocks and picks UT over us, then our odds for HVL improve, but still most likely she ends up at Oregon St.
Given the amount of time we seem to have given to recruiting Van Lith, I have to think that we have better than a slim shot. Coaches have limited time, and I can't imagine that they would focus as much as it seems they have if they didn't think they had a good shot. When was the last time we put the full press on a recruit and did not end up getting them?
R11
blueeyedbear
DanaDane said:

Everyone posting makes good valid points for and against. I personally do not see Oregon St being a good fit for HVL - They are fully committed to going BIG with 5 @ 6'3" or bigger, also they have 5 guards on their roster now with only one senior they and grabbed 6'0" Goforth from Arkansas in their 2020 class already - Me thinks there are two many chefs in the kitchen already also HVL is a gunner not a passer and I say that with respect and in no way mean to infer that she does not have passing ability - she does.
I appears to me that UConn, ND, Louisville and Baylor have the up tempo offenses more suited for her game.
Lets remember she is a small town kid and even Waco is going to be Big City to her and believe me I was there many, many years ago and it is a factor !! I still say momma is going to have a lot to say in where she goes and I think that is advantage CKM. Her personality is a perfect fit for BU - I would love to be a ghost chaperone when she takes her official visit and DiDi will probably be assigned to give her the tour - that I think would be something to see.
I noticed in the latest rankings Sarah Andrews has moved up ahead of HVL - interesting
CavalryRoadie
bearbone11 said:

DanaDane said:

When was the last time we put the full press on a recruit and did not end up getting them?

Didn't Brianna Turner break some hearts in Waco?
bearbone11
CavalryRoadie said:

bearbone11 said:

DanaDane said:

When was the last time we put the full press on a recruit and did not end up getting them?

Didn't Brianna Turner break some hearts in Waco?
That sounds about right. If I recall there was a shakeup of the recruiting staff the following year, with obvious results since.

Here is my theory, and forgive me if it sounds like I'm wearing a tinfoil hat. Two months ago, we were told that we were in on Priscilla Williams. Last week, she releases a top 5 without us on it, but included SMU. This may seem arrogant, but it seems unlikely that we would be left off that list unless we had backed off already. That implies to me that we had heard favorable signals from other, higher priority recruits. Whether that is HVL, Treasure Hunt, or someone else entirely, I don't know. I'm basically assuming Sarah Andrews is ours at this point, which I hope isn't presumptuous.

We have 4 seniors this year, along with the loss of HSG. Given that we only took one recruit this year, I expect a class of at least 3 and likely 4. Given the positional breakdown of the current roster, we have plenty of playing time to offer, even if we took multiple at the same position. I have a hunch that Kim will make a serious splash in recruiting come November.
R11
UBBY
bearbone11 said:

DanaDane said:

Given the amount of time we seem to have given to recruiting Van Lith, I have to think that we have better than a slim shot. Coaches have limited time, and I can't imagine that they would focus as much as it seems they have if they didn't think they had a good shot. When was the last time we put the full press on a recruit and did not end up getting them?
Paging Scout Bear...
BearnMI
We missed out on Brooklyn Pope and Alexis Jones...both of which CKM really wanted. Yes, they eventually transfered to Baylor, but we were all crying on their initial school selection.
WacoKelly83
And Moriah Jefferson....
BaylorBearWBBFan
Oregon State will have three or four scholarship guards when Hailey arrives - senior Destiny Slocum (if she returns), senior Aleah Goodman, junior Jasmine Simmons, and freshman Sasha Goforth.

We will have senior Didi Richards, senior Moon Ursin, junior Trinity Oliver, and sophomore Jordyn Oliver.

Oregon will have a ton, so that would be an interesting choice.

Both Baylor and Oregon State should provide early PT for HVL.
blueeyedbear
BaylorBearWBBFan said:

Oregon State will have three or four scholarship guards when Hailey arrives - senior Destiny Slocum (if she returns), senior Aleah Goodman, junior Jasmine Simmons, and freshman Sasha Goforth.

We will have senior Didi Richards, senior Moon Ursin, junior Trinity Oliver, and sophomore Jordyn Oliver.

Oregon will have a ton, so that would be an interesting choice.

Both Baylor and Oregon State should provide early PT for HVL.
You overlooked Noelle Mannen for Oregon State - makes 5
Louisville will have 8 guards on the roster if HVL goes there Yikes !!!!
Oregon has verbal's from 3 guards in the 2020 class to add to the 3 already on campus who will be there if she goes there.
I have not seen any video of HVL playing defense - With CKM that is the deciding factor in who gets the minutes.
We know DiDi and Moon can defend - can Freshman HVL ??? Not to CKM standards I venture.
Not a knock - she obviously has the quickness but its fighting through the screens and switching that all Freshman have difficulty with.
It looks to me that BU will still have the most PT minutes for HVL plus the practice time going against DiDi, Moon, Trinity and Oliver. What does the credit card add say - Priceless
The other factor will be what CKM has been making a point about all season - "These kids parents raised them right - they know its about the team - not individual glory" What will HVL mindset be ???? Will she buy into the philosophy ?? She has been the star for 4 years - is she willing to be a member of a team - for Championships.
BaylorBearWBBFan
Noelle Mannen is a walk-on, and I specified scholarship (just because I don't see a walk-on challenging a top-10 recruit for minutes.

Defensively, HVL is a pitbull. She is strong and solid as heck, she does a good job of keeping her man in front of her.

Louisville is just stacking up on the guards. Balogun is really talented.
mimi25408
I agree. I think all of the schools have their advantages and disadvantages.

Oregon- close to home, but has alot of guards is front of her.

Oregon State - close to home, could possible start if Destiny
Doesnt stay.

Ohio state - haven't kept up with them since Kesley Mitchell.
Pretty sure they will guarentee her a starting
spot to get her there.

UCLA - close to home, may have a guard or two infront.

Louisville- not sure on their guard situation but Louisville is
guard centric team. She played for him under
team USA so she already has a feel for his
coaching style. Large arena, probably will
guarantee her a starting position.

Notre Dame - pretty young class of guards but will definitely
Get playing time. HVL love female
empowerment so she might like the all female
Coaching staff.

UCONN - I believe they already have a 2020 point guard but
Can be a high favorite. Alot of HVL favorite
Players are UCONN alumni. Her best friend is
2020 UConn commit Paige Buckners. Loves to play
In front of big crowds. Geno might start her.
Uconn Is the farthest from home.

Baylor - Kim mulkey doesnt garuentee playing time but I'm
I'm sure she will see alot of PT. If she wants to learn
from someone that actually played Point guard
Baylor would be for her. Passion, enthusiasm, and g
Grit mirrors CKM personality.
mlb60
She belongs at Baylor, playing for Coach Mulkey. Anything less will not be the best use of her talents.
And the days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days.—Ray Wylie Hubbard
Dcheetah
to add on...UConn has taken multiple guards in the 19.and 20 classes. and already has a top 21 player lined up. Oregon and UConn would present the most young guards on the roster for her to compete with. Of course with her self confidence, it may not matter. Right after our national championship it was thought Oregon was the team to beat but that was before all their guard commits. Still think Baylor, Oregon State and Louisville are top 3 but these are guesses.
BaylorBearWBBFan
Oregon State and Louisville will have Destiny Slocum and Dana Evans, so she likely wouldn't start as a PG at either of those. She almost certainly wouldn't start at UConn with Williams, Westbrook, and Bueckers in the backcourt. I think Baylor is her best bet among those three to be a starting PG.
HustleBear
You're absolutely right! That's if it's strickly a basketball decision. Playing closer to home could be more important to her than starting as a freshman. Who know? Fingers crossed!!!
mimi25408
If I'm not mistaken Williams is a point guard and but started with dangerfield. I'm not saying that they would litterly start her but they might tell her that to get her in good favor.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.