2019-2020 Big 12 PRE-SEASON AWARDS

2,182 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by DFW Bill
BiPolarBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://big12sports.com/news/2019/10/9/womens-basketball-2019-20-wbb-preseason-awards-announced.aspx

Te'a Cooper new comer of the year
Lauren Cox Player of the year

2019-20 Big 12 Conference Women's Basketball Preseason Awards
(coaches not allowed to vote for own players)

Preseason Player of the Year
Lauren Cox, Baylor, F, 6-4, Sr, Flower Mound, Texas

Preseason Newcomer of the Year
Te'a Cooper, Baylor, G, 5-8, Gr, Powder Springs, Ga.

Preseason Freshman of the Year
Celeste Taylor, Texas, G, 5-11, Valley Stream, N.Y.

BiPolarBear
Three on the First Team All Conference but not Cooper? If Cooper becomes NOY then we could end up with four on the All Conference Team after all is said and done.

Lauren Cox
Baylor
F
6-4
Sr-3L
Flower Mound, Texas

Juicy Landrum
Baylor
G
5-8
Sr-3L
Waco, Texas

NaLyssa Smith
Baylor
F
6-2
So-1L
Converse, Texas
CavalryRoadie
Is it ironic that NaLyssa Smith is the only Sophomore to make the Pre-Season All-Big 12 Team, but didn't make last year's All-Big 12 Freshman Team at the end of last season?

With Smith, DeCosta, Egbo and Bickle, I hope for big things out of this year's Sophomores.
bawitdaball
Rest assured we will end up with 3 on the First Team and MAYBE two on the second team. But other coaches have shown in the past that they don't love giving Baylor too much conference love - I recall during Griner's senior season only Griner and Sims were on any team (or honorable mention). It's why Mulkey recruits the players that she does - its all about teamwork and winning/losing as a team.
blueeyedbear
bawitdaball said:

Rest assured we will end up with 3 on the First Team and MAYBE two on the second team. But other coaches have shown in the past that they don't love giving Baylor too much conference love - I recall during Griner's senior season only Griner and Sims were on any team (or honorable mention). It's why Mulkey recruits the players that she does - its all about teamwork and winning/losing as a team.
Yes - goes all the way back to the beginning of CKM arrival in the conference. Sophia Young did not get Newcomer of the year despite overwhelming stats and the slights of Baylor athletes continues to present day.
Its sad coaches seem to vote for the individual numbers instead of the actual impact a player has on effecting the game plane. Every team had to change its defense to counter Brown and Cox yet Carlson gets MVP. ?????
The Waco Tribune has its own All Conference selections that balances things out but of course it is accused of being a homer.
I will bet the ranch that the Big 12 coaches and to choke on voting for Tea as newcomer of the year !!! They had to because she has already garnered preseason All American recognition.
As another poster commented It is amazing how Smith is the only sophomore nominated yet disregarded for any accolades for her 2019 season. Go figure.
gone to Tickfaw
Smith's exclusion from the All Big 12 Freshman team was a joke. Her biggest games were against Arizona, UCONN and in the final agains Notre Dame. Without her, we wouldn't have won either. No player on that all freshman squad could have come close to performing that was like hers... she may be POY!
CNC
I think these things are based too heavily on stats..and that's it. To say Didi & Tea aren't among the top 10 players in conference is a joke. Its similar to that Iowa girl picked over Kalani. We could play our starters more than 20-25 minutes, but most scoreboards don't go to 200.

Looking forward to the Lady Bears clinching conference (again) by 3 or 4 games.

Like mentioned above, I can't wait to see what our super sophmores can do.
gone to Tickfaw
don't forget how much of a scoring threat Didi was at the end of last year and her performance in the final 6... she deserves first or second team
DFW Bill
Look at my new Thread.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.