Number 1?

8,451 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Baylorkid
Eball
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So who should be #1 moving forward? How far should Oregon and Baylor fall? USC move up or down since they lost to IU but beat us ?
Baylorkid
All I know is that Stanford will be number 1
DJHONSON
Baylor should be 5 or 6.....
MrGolfguy
I'll say 4th, shouldn't fall too far for losing to top 5 S.Carolina while missing your All American senior in a neutral site holiday tournament.
DanaDane
With a double digit loss in a game we never led at any point in 2nd half, we should probably drop to # 8 or #9. That would be realistic.
saucebob
I wouldn't change a thing in the top 3.
blueeyedbear
saucebob said:

I wouldn't change a thing in the top 3.
I don't think we or Oregon or SC will be penalized for losing 1 game in 3 days on a neutral court. I think it stays pretty much status que.
Not place any bets - there is a reason why I do not have a bookie
BUbackerinET
We will swap with South Carolina - them 2, us 5
Big Bear
3/4 or 4/5, SC/BU.
slimecap
Eball said:

So who should be #1 moving forward?

willtalk
How big is the Stanford win over Miss St? The problem is that Stanford was Miss St. first quality opponent. So do we really know how good Miss St is if they have only played one good team? That is the problem with these preseason ratings. Some teams are rated just on last season or reputation and other teams get the benefit of beating them. Stanford is a good team but with such a young team, they have been inconsistent this early in the season.
gone to Tickfaw
and Stanford has had some close brushes with death:
beat gonzoga by 6, but almost dropped that one
and beat California Baptist by 5

both were down to the wire.
saucebob
Fell 5 to #7
Jack Bauer
No other Big12 in top 25.
blueeyedbear
saucebob said:

Fell 5 to #7
Interesting - Oregon loses to #8 Louisville and falls 2 spots
Baylor loses to #5 South Carolina and we fall 5 spots
Still after all these years no respect
BaylorBearWBBFan
I don't think we fall so far if South Carolina beats Indiana. I think people are kind of forgetting their loss because it happened before a big win. Even though they beat #2, they still dropped for losing to #17.

My guess is we beat SC handily with LC. We weren't firing on all cylinders and they're a very good team. Egbo will be probably the best backup center in the country when LC returns. Cox shifts the whole dynamic of the team with everything she does, and the biggest in that game would be having a legit option at the 5 off the bench.
slimecap
Deb Antonelli voted Baylor #9
DanaDane
We actually ended up a spot or two higher than we should have, so that wasn't as bad as it could have been. SMH at fans who thought we would only fall a spot or two. IT IS A WEEKLY POLL based on wins and losses that week. It's not a ranking who the most likely teams are to win in March. Yes, we would be 4 or 5 if that were the case. But it's not.
SCspur
For me personally I felt the drop from Baylor was a bit much. I don't see 6 or 7 teams better than Baylor or SC this year. Out of the teams that's in the top 10 only Baylor, SC, and Louisville look to be legit defensively so those are the teams who I think has the best shot at the FF. Stanford, UConn, and Oregon St are all overrated to me IMO. Once UConn and Oregon St start playing top 10 teams their true colors will start to show imo.
RSBear
I don't see us any higher without Cox in the lineup.
blueeyedbear
DanaDane said:

We actually ended up a spot or two higher than we should have, so that wasn't as bad as it could have been. SMH at fans who thought we would only fall a spot or two. IT IS A WEEKLY POLL based on wins and losses that week. It's not a ranking who the most likely teams are to win in March. Yes, we would be 4 or 5 if that were the case. But it's not.
I will bet the house that 95.0% of the voters did not see the game - they just saw the final score and cast their vote based on that.
blueeyedbear
slimecap said:

Deb Antonelli voted Baylor #9
Is anyone surprised at that ???
fredbear
We need LC back or we are truly a 7 or below. But it's a long season and much b-ball to be played. Let's hope LC is 100 percent soon!
blueeyedbear
And down goes Louisville ! All the experts saying it is going to be difficult for BU to climb back into the top 4 just got a dose of reality how this season is going to go. U Conn struggled at first, Maryland went down, others will suffer the same fate especially in the PAC 12.
We just need to take care of the games we control and come selection day we will be right there in the top 4
Jack Bauer
I just noticed our path to the Final Four is Waco-Dallas-New Orleans

That's basically 6 home games in the NCAA tourney!
whitetrash
Jack Bauer said:

Ominous stat: BU has never made a FF playing in a regional in Texas or an adjoining state.

4-2 when sent away:

2005 Tempe AZ
2010 Memphis
2012 Des Moines
2014 South Bend (E8)
2018 Lexington KY (S16)
2019 Greensboro NC

0-8 when close by:

2004 OKC
2006 ABQ
2009 OKC
2011 Dallas
2013 OKC
2015 OKC
2016 Dallas
2017 OKC
blueeyedbear
whitetrash said:

Jack Bauer said:

Ominous stat: BU has never made a FF playing in a regional in Texas or an adjoining state.
Where was the Regional in 2005 ??
geewago
blueeyedbear said:

whitetrash said:

Jack Bauer said:

Where was the Regional in 2005 ??
Seattle first round. Tempe - regional.
LOTRADER
For multiple years Baylor fans have seen Oregon State as "overrated". Then after our games in NCAA playoffs, confusion as to how Oregon State beat Baylor? I think this season, in particular, it is difficult to ascertain which teams are overrated, underrated, or rated where they should be rated. Including Baylor and Oregon State.
Eball
UCONN back to number 1...if they beat us and Oregon(two big ifs) then they will likely coast into post season as the Number 1. I guess USF could give them a game but they seem to have come back to earth after some early season success.

I think the PAC 12 will absolutely devour each other...they have some really good teams in the top 6 or so in their conference. Depending on SC, UL, Baylor and FSU...that will tell the tale of just one top seed for PAC 12 or maybe two....I just think it is unlikely any PAC 12 team makes it from now to tournament time without at least 2 more losses each...
setshot
Without Cox, Baylor is a top ten team. With Lauren the Lady Bears are a top three team.
LOTRADER
I see at least 3 losses coming for UConn starting with Baylor on January 9, followed by Oregon and South Carolina.
Eball
LOTRADER said:

I see at least 3 losses coming for UConn starting with Baylor on January 9, followed by Oregon and South Carolina.
I forgot and missed USC...good catch...they could lose all three..
Eball
setshot said:

Without Cox, Baylor is a top ten team. With Lauren the Lady Bears are a top three team.

I agree...for the most part...so much more parity at the top this year though...I might hedge a bit and say even with LC we top 4 team....the two best teams in PAC 12 and not sure who they are would have to be top 4 worthy as well as UCONN, USC and UL perhaps...
DanaDane
You guys know by now that I don't put a lot of stock in the Top 25 rankings, but I did get a chuckle of the worthlessness when I looked at the ballots of 3 writers who cover the Pac 12. When we lost to a top 10 South Carolina, all 3 dropped us 6-8 spots in their next ballot. Stanford loses to an unranked UT and none of the 3 dropped Stanford more than 2 spots. Louisville lost to unranked Ohio St a couple of weeks ago and all three dropped Louisville 10 spots. When Oregon lost to Louisville, all 3 dropped Oregon 1 spot.

This is why rankings are so worthless. The 3 voters probably didn't even watch any of the games.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.