Juicy Landrum - Nation's 3pt Record holder

5,325 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Born_A_Bear
Baylor Dad in Va.
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Juicy is the national record holder of 3 pointers in a game after today.
She made 14 3 pointers, leading the scoring with 42 points
Her stats for the day --
42 points 14-24 FG's, 14-23 3's (61 %), 8 rebounds, 7 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 0 TO's, 0 PF's
The most spectacular 3 point shooting by a player that I have watched!!!
It's a great day to be a Bear Fan! So happy for Juicy!
geewago
And I was an "eye witness". Too bad Scout Bear missed it. He had to do his Lawyering.
Eball
Awesome to watch it on ESPN+ while working...sort of...keeping up with recruiting and eating lunch
Polarbear
What an exhibition from Juicy.

Yes, it's true that her teammates were disrupting the flow of the offense to feed passes to her. And yes, it's true that a few of those shots were really early in the shot clock, before we'd run any semblance of our offense. With 23 attempts from 3, it's reasonable to question what the heck was going on to justify that many shots.

BUT ........ BUT,

a) Every single shot was a quality shot. She was set, squared, balanced, and in rhythm on all 23 attempts. There wasn't a single attempt which was wild, off balance, out of her range, or terribly off target.
b) She shot 61% from 3 point range. 61%! That's outrageous! That's an excellent FG % for total shots, but it's positively nuts from 3 point range.
c) On the majority of the shots, she was taking what the defense offered. AR State played a zone and collapsed on our interior, probably due to their lack of size, which left our players wide open to spot up on the 3 point line.
d) Her teammates seemed to be more excited about her shooting exhibition than she did. There was a point in the 3rd quarter when it felt like she was perhaps forcing shots and it was time to start moving the ball around, but her teammates kept feeding her. They wouldn't let her stop!
e) It was an important message for us to send to our team, and to our opponents, that we are versatile and can score in a lot of ways. We aren't limited to just pounding it inside to our posts. If you try to double down on the posts, we can and will shoot over you and score.

Bone Squad
I could not fathom why Arkansas St. ever let her get open in the second half.
Heart
Juicy!!
fredbear
Record this year, or all-time record?
gone to Tickfaw
all time NCAA Record!

And if you watch the 14 countdown, MOST of Juicy's 3 were well-beyond the MEN's 3 point line. It's hard to discern on a few of them because the video doesn't show her feet.
setshot
This is the first time that I have seen Landrum take the shots that are there for her, rather than deferring to the post-up game that the Lady Bears use year to year. I have often seen her pass up the kinds of shots that she was taking today. Getting off to a fast start no doubt gave her confidence, and clearly Mulkey and the team as a whole were supportive of her once she demonstrated that she was going to hit a high percentage of her shots from the outside.

Outstanding shooters, and Juicy has clearly shown that she is that both in practice and in games, need to feel free to shoot when they are open, and with her quick release and athleticism, she is open far more than her shot chart would indicate. I have seen her in practice shoot astonishingly well from NBA range, some of them from the areas made famous by Stephen Curry, but she is a team player first and foremost and I don't think that the norm for her is to seek the spotlight as she did today.

I have always thought that she could score in bunches if they played to her strengths, cutting off of screens, running the baseline as she did today, reversing the ball and getting looks from the interior players when defenses were collapsing on them. Right now, Te'a Cooper is in a mini-slump of sorts, but she is a better shooter than her recent performances would indicate. When she and Juicy are both on target, with Ursin as well, this team will open up the interior for Cox and Egbo, and also for NaLyssa, though I would prefer to see NaLyssa facing up to the basket either on the high post or on the wing/corner, using her strength and quickness, as well as her fine midrange shot to good effect.
slimecap

Coach Kim Mulkey stated
"At halftime, she had five (3-pointers). We're just casually talking in the coaches' meeting in the coaches' locker room. And they said, 'Juicy could break the record today. She's got five at the half, and she could tie the Baylor record I think at nine.' Well, I had no idea who held the Baylor record. I found out it was Odyssey Sims and Mandy Hayworth.

So, at halftime, I just went in there and I thought, you know, Juicy's so quiet, plays a role, kind of unassuming, just let me fit in, and I'll help you win ballgames, but don't bring attention to myself. And I thought, you know what, when you're feeling it as a shooter, you're feeling it. And, I went in at halftime and I told them, if you get a chance, let Juicy break the record today. Well, I was talking about the Baylor record.

So, she got to nine, and they were like, let her break it. So, I kept her in there. Well, when she got to 10, then it was, 'Coach, she only needs two more to tie the Big 12' or something. It just kept building. So, each time out, I would say, 'OK, well, find her again.'

It's just a joy to watch teammates be happy for each other. When you get to coach an unselfish group, and they understand . . . guys, that's hard to do, to hit that many 3's in a game. You're not going to get that opportunity very often. And for them to find her, for them to be happy for her, and she did it with a lot of young kids here that will always hear that name Juicy for the rest of their lives, because she grew up in Waco. These are Waco little ones. And they're like, 'Gosh, I was there that day when she broke the record.'

- Baylor WBB website, 18 Aug 2019
57Bear
How can the Big12 not select her as player of the week?
longtimebear
Way to go Juicey. No one deserves it more.
slimecap
Video of game

setshot
A while ago Didi Richards was in a press conference with Coach Mulkey and someone mentioned Juicy as a shooter and Didi responded, "Oh, she can really shoot. She can REALLY shoot !" The players know that she is one of the great shooters in the collegiate women's game, and I suspect that they were just waiting for her to have one of those breakout, record setting games that the great ones occasionally have. The expressions of joy over on the bench were great to see.

What a wonderful outing that was for one of the most unselfish and team oriented Lady Bear players in recent memory. And by the way, she had eight rebounds and seven assists, a couple of steals, no turnovers and as usual, an outstanding defensive performance. She has very quietly become one of the finest defenders in the conference.

That team record and conference record may be up there for quite awhile.
Heart
How I love Juicy! So happy for her.
My favorite parts of yesterday - being from Waco Juicy can be an inspiration for the boys and girls who were in attendance, how happy Juicy looked, and joy of her teammates!! It was special alright
blueeyedbear
setshot said:

This is the first time that I have seen Landrum take the shots that are there for her, rather than deferring to the post-up game that the Lady Bears use year to year. I have often seen her pass up the kinds of shots that she was taking today. Getting off to a fast start no doubt gave her confidence, and clearly Mulkey and the team as a whole were supportive of her once she demonstrated that she was going to hit a high percentage of her shots from the outside.

Outstanding shooters, and Juicy has clearly shown that she is that both in practice and in games, need to feel free to shoot when they are open, and with her quick release and athleticism, she is open far more than her shot chart would indicate. I have seen her in practice shoot astonishingly well from NBA range, some of them from the areas made famous by Stephen Curry, but she is a team player first and foremost and I don't think that the norm for her is to seek the spotlight as she did today.

I have always thought that she could score in bunches if they played to her strengths, cutting off of screens, running the baseline as she did today, reversing the ball and getting looks from the interior players when defenses were collapsing on them. Right now, Te'a Cooper is in a mini-slump of sorts, but she is a better shooter than her recent performances would indicate. When she and Juicy are both on target, with Ursin as well, this team will open up the interior for Cox and Egbo, and also for NaLyssa, though I would prefer to see NaLyssa facing up to the basket either on the high post or on the wing/corner, using her strength and quickness, as well as her fine midrange shot to good effect.
You nailed it setshot what a game for Juicy !!!! and it could not have happened to a better person !!! Love that she shot with confidence but I was more impressed with her total game - she really filled the state sheet !!! Hopefully this exposure for the 3 ball record will also showcase to folks the complete player she is - 3 pts, rebounds, deflections, steals, breaking up fast breaks, clogging up passing lanes, blocks and perimeter defense and she can play 40 minutes every game and look like she just came of a weeks rest !!. Lot of people forget when DiDi goes to the bench its Juicy that takes up DiDi's defensive assignment. Way to go Juicy - maybe she can get a GO JUICY airport commercial gig like the Juice had.
Great point on Cooper and Moon (they will be fine) - What a rock and a hard place decision for opposing teams - Do I leave the trio open on the perimeter to pack the paint because of Cox, Egbo, Smith and Degrate or do I guard against the outside bombs and give up layups ?????
What I really liked from Juicy's teammates was how quickly they got her the ball - it wasn't the ol lob the ball over to her like I have seen to much in the past couple of years - it was accurate passes with some pace (yes I know that's tennis but you get the picture) especially from DiDi - she really fired the ball over to Juicy.
Finally I think the question several have been asking myself and Mimi - "Team bonding" Just look at the sheer joy on each and every one of her teammates faces when she hit those last 4 shots and the rush the court - even Katelin and Lauren started to sprint to Juicy and had to put the breaks on (easy Katelin !!). Amazingly CKM called a timeout as soon as the last shot went in or it would have been a bench technical. This team is as solid as last year chemistry goes and this may even push this team beyond last years.
One last word... I have been waiting 10 years to see what happened Wednesday.... All I can say is lets not let this be an anomaly......Its time for SHOWTIME to come to Waco, Texas
Congrats Juicy and Team !!!!!

setshot
Incidentally, I am proud of Coach Mulkey for breaking with her pattern of sitting players even when they have the hot hand in games against weak opponents. Coach Drew tends to do the same thing, as many coaches do.

(forgive the personal reference, but this happened to me once in high school and once at Baylor, though in the former instance I did not sit, but the touches just dried up in the second half. Both were reasonably competitive games, and I recall them to this day.)

For critics of Mulkey's decision to leave her in, let me point out that if what Landrum did was a product of the quality of the opponent, then many fine shooters, present and past, in the collegiate game would have double digit three point games, yet very few do, and none at 14, and that includes the NBA, where only Klay Thompson has managed it, with one attempt more than Landrum's. It is neither common nor is it directly related to the caliber of the opponent.

Arkansas State employed a zone in order to reduce the efficiency of our interior game, where they were clearly at a disadvantage. I recall that Stanford beat the Griner-led team in Hawaii by doing the same thing and yet we continued to try to force the ball into the post, turning down multiple opportunities for midrange and easy three point shots from the corner/wings. Our loss to Louisville was triggered in part by a first half of similar strategy, whereas they hit 12 of 16 three point shots in that awful first half, while we hardly put one up despite ample opportunities to do so.

In short, Landrum did something remarkable no matter the circumstances, and the record book now has her name and standard of excellence engraved in it without an asterisk. Additionally, teams thinking to zone Baylor will now have to rethink that strategy. I give Mulkey a lot of credit for recognizing that she had a player having a remarkable game and she more than took full advantage of it, she fired up that team to take joy in it and to be a full partner in it. They will remember and reference it for the rest of their lives, and that is no small thing.

As for sportsmanship, I suspect the coach and the players on the other bench not only understood what Mulkey was doing, but will also remember and reference it for the rest of their lives. They were a part of something truly historic, something that they will ruefully tell others about without the bitterness that a defeat of that magnitude usually incurs. Those who belittle this for whatever reason almost certainly have never seen the basket when it looked as big as a dipping vat, but if you ever get a chance to talk to Juicy Landrum, she can tell you what it looks like.
SABaylorFan
Excellent commentary as always.

Putting the ability and willingness to consistently hit 3's on tape could pay big dividends in closer games later in the season and especially in tournament time.
Heart
Thanks, setshot
Brownbw
Not only the most three pointers by any college girl or boy but tied for the most three pointers by any level of any basketball ever. Clay Thompson of nba fame is the only person ever to hit 14.. way to go Juicy. So happy for you.
2023 ADOPT-A-BEAR
KADEN SIERACKI #74
6’8’’ 315 RF WOODLANDS
Big boy is going to put some hurt on big 12 foes
Bone Squad
This should by no means take anything away from Juicy, but that is not accurate. The records for NCAA men is 15 in a game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_men%27s_basketball_players_with_12_or_more_3-point_field_goals_in_a_game
setshot
Thanks, Bone
I thought that someone in the men's collegiate game had hit fifteen, but I did not know that three had done it.

Well done.
historian
I would love for Juicy to hit 16 against Texas! OK, I know I'm being silly. But it's a nice dream.
historian
slimecap said:

Video of game

Thanks for posting.

Too bad they had that glitch immediately after (but before the basket) Juicy threw one of her last 3's. It's on the ESPN+ replay too & it's annoying. I don't know if it was part of the original broadcast. My guess is it was, like the 2011 Alamo Bowl glitch, and forever lost--except in Baylor's highlight reels showing all 14 of her 3's that day.
Bone Squad
Her shooting broke ESPN.
Bone Squad
Born_A_Bear
I am posting here instead of starting a new thread about Juicy.
Her improved maturity, poise, and calmness are amazing and demonstrate what college basketball should be. She is so much fun to watch. 2's, 3's or passing to a team mate - she does it all.
BUbackerinET
Yes - have noticed this too, calmness is clear. Has anybody noticed since she achieved this amazing feat, that the sportscasters fail to mention it in subsequent games when talking about her during the game?
historian
Yes I have noticed their silence on the subject--unless it's John Morris on ESPN+. Thank God for John Morris and how well he represents Baylor.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
BUbackerinET
Yes, I was talking about majors and ESPN/ESPN2
Born_A_Bear
Yes. I hope she will get more attention.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.