And the Beat goes on ... in the Pac 12

15,569 Views | 105 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 3rdgenbear
slimecap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jan 19, 2020
FINAL
Stanford 61 @ Oregon State 58
whitetrash
Watched the last 3:30. No FGs made by either team. Some good defense, but mostly ill-advised, off balance shots by both teams. OreSt had a wide open drive to the hoop to cut it to 1 with less than 15 seconds and and left the layup short.

Oregon appears to be the best of the bunch out there, but they have been exposed a couple of times themselves.
ScottS
Those teams out west are going to beat each other up.
Wineguy89
ScottS said:

Those teams out west are going to beat each other up.

Pretty much.....

SirBearALot
Drums keep sounding rhythm in my head and the beat goes on. Org and Org St. Play back to back soon and if one should sweep that will be a separator !!;
Scout Bear
They keep beating each other up. But when a team is fighting to survive it usually makes that team stronger for the tourney. Those teams are going to wind up being a tough out in March.
slimecap
Scout Bear said:

when a team is fighting to survive it usually makes that team stronger for the tourney. Those teams are going to wind up being a tough out in March.
Jan 20, 2020

SirBearALot
at least two of those will probably drop out of the top 20.. I bet one is UCLA and either Org.St or an Arizona team.. ?
BaylorTaxman
They may beat each other up. But make no mistake about it. The PAC 12 is the best conference in WBB this year. There are at least three teams with Final Four potential. The Big 12, SEC and ACC each have one. And of course UCONN. Maybe you can say two for the SEC with Mississippi State.
willtalk
A team to watch out for is Arizona St. The Oregon games was the first that they had Tapley available.--transfer from USC. She has been a beast and most productive player since she has been allowed to play. . Arizona St with Tapley is an entirely different team than without her. Their victories over the Oregon teams were no fluke. They win ugly.
whitetrash
Last year (as in most years) WBB was basically 7 teams deep: BU, ND, Oregon, UConn, Louisville, MissSt and Stanford. After that it dropped off dramatically. And within that 7, there was still a hierarchy of BU/ND above the others, then, Ore/UConn/Lville, and MissSt/Stanford a step behind.

This year, WBB is still only 7 teams deep, maybe 8, but the hierarchy is flatter (i.e., more of the top 7 may be capable of winning it): BU, SCar, Ore, UConn, Lville, OreSt, Stanford, and maybe MissSt. And of that group of 8, only BU and UConn haven't lost to anyone outside the group of 8. SCar lost to Indiana, Ore and OreSt to ArizSt, Lville to OhioSt, Stanford to UT, MissSt to WV.

One near-certainty is that the Pac12 is good enough that its top 4 teams will each land in a different region in the top 4 seeds in the region, with the conference champ going to Portland as a de facto 1 seed even if they are a 2 (see UConn last year as a 2 in Albany). So everyone else will have to get past a Pac12 team, but the roadmap of how to do so is clearly there on each team.
slimecap
Fri, Jan 24
Oregon and Oregon State each has announced a sellout. That means a capacity crowd of 12,364 will pack Matthew Knight Arena on Friday, with another 9,600 in Gill Coliseum on Sunday.
Eball
So who wins tonight? OSU or Oregon? I will go with the home team winning both...so how does that shake up the top 10?

Anyone know how to watch the game?
CavalryRoadie
If they split the games, I'd bet their positions in the rankings don't change.
Malbec
Eball said:

So who wins tonight? OSU or Oregon? I will go with the home team winning both...so how does that shake up the top 10?

Anyone know how to watch the game?
Tonight's game @ Eugene is on Pac12 Network, and Sunday's game @ Corvallis is on ESPN2.

Pac12 Network Link - Oregon State @ Oregon 9PM CST
SirBearALot
I think Oregon has the better team, therefore I will root for the Beavers.. he he ... also Arizona and Arizona St play tonight , they have already played one time a few weeks ago with Arizona beating Ariz. St.. then Az St. beat both Oregon and Org. St a few weeks ago and Arizona lost to both.. I look for AZ st. to win this one ..
SirBearALot
Ariz. vs. Ariz.St. was 10 to 10 after one quarter.. Az.St. shooting 40% Az. shooting 22 %. and now at half time Az.St. has roared out to a 7 point lead at 24 to 17...omg.. that is all ...oh, wait, with no time left on the clock Az throws up and makes a 3 pointer to bring the score to a fire breathing 23-20 at the half.. stay tuned for more exhilarating action from the desert of Arizona folks.. some one call out the trained fire fighters to put the chill on this scoring exhibition.. ....

SirBearALot
Arizona has fire stormed back out scoring State 19-10 in the 3rd quarter to take a 39-33 lead headed in to the last frame.. xciting..
SirBearALot
Arizona pushes on to the end and wins 59-53.. McDonald lead Arizona with 24 points, and Ryan led State with 25.. shut these two folks down and you shut down half of each teams production..
whitetrash
Apparently moving screens, like medical marijuana, are fully legal in Oregon.
Osodecentx
whitetrash said:

Last year (as in most years) WBB was basically 7 teams deep: BU, ND, Oregon, UConn, Louisville, MissSt and Stanford. After that it dropped off dramatically. And within that 7, there was still a hierarchy of BU/ND above the others, then, Ore/UConn/Lville, and MissSt/Stanford a step behind.

This year, WBB is still only 7 teams deep, maybe 8, but the hierarchy is flatter (i.e., more of the top 7 may be capable of winning it): BU, SCar, Ore, UConn, Lville, OreSt, Stanford, and maybe MissSt. And of that group of 8, only BU and UConn haven't lost to anyone outside the group of 8. SCar lost to Indiana, Ore and OreSt to ArizSt, Lville to OhioSt, Stanford to UT, MissSt to WV.

One near-certainty is that the Pac12 is good enough that its top 4 teams will each land in a different region in the top 4 seeds in the region, with the conference champ going to Portland as a de facto 1 seed even if they are a 2 (see UConn last year as a 2 in Albany). So everyone else will have to get past a Pac12 team, but the roadmap of how to do so is clearly there on each team.
Good information
ScottS
Oregon over Oregon State by around 10
whitetrash
UCLA and Washington in OT
Colorado and Stanford in OT
Mulder
UCLA won 85-80.

Natalie Chou, off the bench, was 7-14, 4-9 behind the arc, 4 boards, 3 steals, and 18 points.
An Objective Fan of The Former Baylor Lady Bears.
SirBearALot
Taylor Jones the 6ft 4 forward from Dallas/Forney was 10 if 12 for 21 points with 3 rebounds in 37 minutes of play. Had hoped she would be a Bear. Their other forward at 6ft 5 was scoreless with 12 rebounds From Kansas, she had shown interest in Baylor as well
Eball
Mulder said:

UCLA won 85-80.

Natalie Chou, off the bench, was 7-14, 4-9 behind the arc, 4 boards, 3 steals, and 18 points.

One of Nat's better games this year...but lets look at her year to date...

She has played in all 18 games but only started 7 she was penciled in as a starter but lost that job and now is first off bench. Averaging 20.9 minutes a game. 7.8 pts a game and 3.4 rebounds a game. Three PT % is 34.5%

The team is very good and could challenge for a final 4 spot but with the strength of the PAC 12 they will not win their conference and likely have a tougher draw in tourney.

Her last hear at BU she played in 27 games starting 21 she was injured remember? Averaged 21.7 minutes a game 6.7 pts a game and 3.3 rebounds shot the three at 33.3%.

Did she improve her situation by the transfer? Lost a starting job, missed out on a National Championship and a likely better shot at another championship this year.

I liked her and wish her well but I hope all kids understand that transferring out is no guarantee of anything except a change in your circumstances...which could be better but often times is just different...
Mulder
Coach Cori Close heap praise on Plano West's finest, Natalie Chou.

whitetrash
Eball said:

Mulder said:

UCLA won 85-80.

One of Nat's better games this year...but lets look at her year to date...

She has played in all 18 games but only started 7 she was penciled in as a starter but lost that job and now is first off bench. Averaging 20.9 minutes a game. 7.8 pts a game and 3.4 rebounds a game. Three PT % is 34.5%

The team is very good and could challenge for a final 4 spot but with the strength of the PAC 12 they will not win their conference and likely have a tougher draw in tourney.

Her last hear at BU she played in 27 games starting 21 she was injured remember? Averaged 21.7 minutes a game 6.7 pts a game and 3.3 rebounds shot the three at 33.3%.

Did she improve her situation by the transfer? Lost a starting job, missed out on a National Championship and a likely better shot at another championship this year.

I liked her and wish her well but I hope all kids understand that transferring out is no guarantee of anything except a change in your circumstances...which could be better but often times is just different...
Chou also committed the reach in foul with 4 seconds left in regulation that allowed Washington to hit 2 FTs to send it to OT.

UCLA just got taken to OT in back to back games at home by two teams that are about the equivalent of Tech and KU. That's not good. They will probably end up battling Arizona and ArizSt for 4th place and a likely 4 seed, maybe 3 if they get hot or 5 if they falter.
57Bear
Eball said:

... Did she improve her situation by the transfer? Lost a starting job, missed out on a National Championship and a likely better shot at another championship this year.

I have read elsewhere that she may have had some familial pressure to move.
Chibears2
This made me laugh and nod my head in agreement. Every time I watch our semifinal with Oregon, I find myself yelling, "That's a moving screen!" (or alternatively, "That's an offensive push off!" <SMH>
3rdgenbear
Stanford is #1 in Pac12. Texas beat Stanford. TCU beat Texas. Tech beat TCU. BIG 12 best conference in WBB. I know it doesn't work that way but, thanks to the Horns, the PAC 12 was exposed a bit.

PAC 12 rankings look like SEC FB - over hyped, very subjective. How is TCU not even ranked? Big 12 not getting the respect it deserves.

Thus far, Natalie's decision looks like a classic lose-lose situation. Now that they have started conference play, she's coming off the bench playing about 15 min a game. Had she stayed, I think CKM could have helped to make her the best player she could be.
Mulder
tranquility . . . piece of mind . . . feeling like you belong.
These things are more important than a gaudy ring you're never able to wear.

Coach Cori Close said she was heart broken when Natalie signed with Baylor.
She was meant to be a UCLA Bruin.
ScottS
She walked away from winning a natty. UCLA aint winning one.
slimecap
Jan 31, 2020

#8 UCLA 66 @ #16 Arizona 92
whitetrash
slimecap said:

Jan 31, 2020

#8 UCLA 66 @ #16 Arizona 92
UcLA got badly exposed. IIRC, one of Kim's biggest frustrations w Chou was her lack of aggressiveness on defense. In that regard, she fit right in @ UCLA. At one point in the 3rd, on 4 straight possessions the UA point guard drove past 3 UCLA defenders uncontested through the lane for easy layups. It wasn't like they didn't know it was coming, they ran the exact same play each time.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.