SUNDAY AFTERNOON I WENT TO THE A&M VS FLORIDA WBB GAME

1,497 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by historian
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
On Sunday afternoon I was in College Station and someone gave me a couple tickets so I went to the WBB game: A&M vs Florida. It was interesting, to say the least. Long story short: I was disappointed to see a ranked team (yea, I know SECSECSEC) play rather poorly. This was the first time I've ever seen a non-Baylor WBB game (little interest in others) & both teams were disappointing. At the end of the first quarter, the score was 8-8. In the 2nd, the Aggettes began to pull away and they ended up winning comfortably. I must be spoiled by watching the Lady Bears so much!

A few observations:

Their star, Chennedy Carter did not play at all. It's possible I may have missed some play time but I don't think so. I think she's their only really star player. In comparison, Baylor has Lauren, Juicy, DiDi, Te'a, & NaLyssa as high level players and others with star potential. Our bench is deep; what a blessing! Obviously, that's one reason Baylor does so well year in and year out.

Their coach was not particularly bad but from what I saw, he couldn't hold a candle to Mulkey. Of course, I am biased. Also, I am no real evaluator of coaching talent. But so much of what they did and they way they played was different from what I usually see from Baylor WBB.

For example, one thing that stands out from recent Baylor teams (WBB especially but also MBB) is how unselfish they can be. They are always passing the ball to a teammate who might be open for a better shot, often resulting in points made or more points. The Aggettes passed the ball plenty too, but it did not seem so natural to them. My limited perspective is that they were more selfish with the ball.

Florida was not very good at all. They made some really good plays and at times even seemed better than the Aggettes. Yet they were outplayed by a mediocre team. Yes, that's what I thought of A&M. The Aggettes often had some great plays but many of them seemed more like accidental good fortune. Yes, this happens to all teams--including Baylor--but our teams seem more aggressive and determined in comparison. The best plays don't always seem to fall into this category for Baylor. That seemed to be the case for A&M Sunday.

I am no expert on basketball and could be totally wrong on some of this (probably not all). It was a valuable experience because I appreciate what our Lady Bears do every game that much more.

One more thing: I wore my Kim Mulkey gold t-shirt and got a few funny looks but no one said anything. I'm sure I stuck out like a sore thumb! But I didn't care.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
whitetrash
Did Gary hand you a piece of candy before the game?
fubar
Attendance?
Gunter gleiben glauchen globen
whitetrash
fubar said:

Attendance?
Aggy website says 4081. I watched about 90 seconds of it--upper deck at Reed was closed off and dark, lower deck sidelines were maybe 2/3 full, lower deck end less than 1/4 full.

And WRT to the comment about Aggettes' offense, their whole game plan is built around feeding the ball to Chennedy. Without their ballhog playmaker, no doubt they are at a loss as to what to do on offense.
historian
I should have realized it was something like that. Her absence probably explains 90% of it.
HoustonBear15
Chennedy Carter really is a great player but is out with an ankle injury. We know very well what happens when you lose a star player.
historian
So true. But if they had more depth it would not matter as much. That's probably one reason why Baylor lost 1 game during Lauren's absence and the Aggies have lost multiple games.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.