TCU was motivated

2,772 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by lookin4awin
fredbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We looked tired, sloppy, unmotivated, and, somewhat, as if we really could not be bothered to play the game at any level that took effort. We hit free throws at the percentage of an elementary school team. Not sure why the girls could not see this game coming. Is Smith so important now that we can't play wout her? Players picking up their dribble with no idea where the ball is going. No half court execution. Lucky to win because we were outplayed.
etgrowler
I really think not having Smith created some problems for us that were new. Lauren initially dropped to the five position and she looked lost. She really hasn't played a defensive five at Baylor. Queen was also pretty lost on defense, starting at the four. But I believe Lauren being uncomfortable affected us the most...probably the whole team. On offense, we really run through Lauren with the high post pass, and Queen's early positioning was bad on O. Add to that, the lack of offensive rebounding from Nalyssa with a few putbacks and the loss of the kickout pass from the low post and our offense sputtered. I think they will make adjustments if Smith is out more games, but this game was a bad situation that we survived and I think it was a perfect storm. TCU also has good senior players that were able to take advantage of the situation.
BU71
fredbear said:

We looked tired, sloppy, unmotivated, and, somewhat, as if we really could not be bothered to play the game at any level that took effort. We hit free throws at the percentage of an elementary school team. Not sure why the girls could not see this game coming. Is Smith so important now that we can't play wout her? Players picking up their dribble with no idea where the ball is going. No half court execution. Lucky to win because we were outplayed.
As expected TCU was fired up to beat us. The combination of missing our leading scorer and historically bad free-throw shooting added up to an upset just waiting to happen. We were fortunate to get out with a win but I believe CKM and the team will use this as a stepping stone to more consistent effort. We will get out our lunch boxes out and put our hard hats on the next time we are in this situation and grind it out more efficiently. That and a few hundred FT a day should help us avoid another game like this.
BaylorTaxman
We have one of these every year. I think it was OSU last year. Anyway, it had just been to easy lately. This will get their attention.
longtimebear
I was at the game also and pretty much what Fredbear said is accurate to a point. What I saw was a team that didn't have their GAME ON tonight. At times they had some nice plays and occasional fast break that scored. But too often they just didn't look totally with it. Now, to be fair, If TCU wasn't hitting their 3's and their free throws at nearly a 80 to 85 % this game would not have been close and even with our less than usual performance we would have gotten out of there with an easy win. But we didn't make it easy and credit TCU for bringing a hard fought and hustled play that almost beat us.

I enjoy good games but this one nearly got too good.....for TCU!
Eball
fredbear said:

Wow...you would think we lost instead of beating the second place team in the league on the road without our leading scorer, who was a game time decision. Good thing we won pulling away by 9 in the 4th quarter...take the win be happy move on and continue to work on things you can improve
BaylorTaxman
Eball said:

fredbear said:

Wow...you would think we lost instead of beating the second place team in the league on the road without our leading scorer, who was a game time decision. Good thing we won pulling away by 9 in the 4th quarter...take the win be happy move on and continue to work on things you can improve
Yep. Our fan base is beyond spoiled. We played very hard, just not very well.
Valkyrie
I thought TCU brought a defensive effort that was more challenging than expected. Give some credit to the TCU coaching staff because they defended well especially around the basket.
CNC
Was that half-court trap defense the first we've seen that this season?

We did look lost. We had a good run in the first half to go up 25-14 (or so). Then we really didn't wake up again until the 4th quarter.

Strange no one really had a great game, but still won by 9. I thought the refs called it too tight on both sides (had head turn on Egbo's 5th foul, saw Juicy's 4th foul live & on replay, it was a joke).
ScottS
We played a C- game against a pretty good team without our 2nd best player and WON.
Chibears2
As mentioned earlier, this was a good game to refocus everybody. When it's too easy, you can lose some of the competitive fun. Need to get back to having a challenge to enjoy. Sort of like a cat with a mouse...once it's dead, it's not so interesting to play with. (Good for second group though, and BP of fans! ). We've had a lot of dead prey lately....
Mulder
TCU Horned Forgs D'd up The Defending National Champions. Disrupted passes, got back on defense to prevent fast breaks, played tight man defense on the guards. The Frogs caused the Bears to look disjointed.

It was as if the Lady Bears wasn't prepared for their defensive and offensive schemes.
Did they watch film on TCU?
An Objective Fan of The Former Baylor Lady Bears.
Lone Star
Mulder said:

TCU Horned Forgs D'd up The Defending National Champions. Disrupted passes, got back on defense to prevent fast breaks, played tight man defense on the guards. The Frogs caused the Bears to look disjointed.

It was as if the Lady Bears wasn't prepared for their defensive and offensive schemes.
FINAL score: Baylor 66, TCU 57.

Go back to the rock you climbed out from under.
Mulder
Can The Defending National Champions put forth the same, according to ScottS, C- effort, and walk away with a W on the 31st of this month??

I wouldn't bet on it!
An Objective Fan of The Former Baylor Lady Bears.
bearbone11
Mulder said:

Can The Defending National Champions put forth the same, according to ScottS, C- effort, and walk away with a W on the 31st of this month??

I wouldn't bet on it!
Well, TCU is a better team than Texas, with a better coach, so C- would probably get it done. Your Longhorns should be more concerned with their upcoming trips to Oklahoma.
R11
HoustonBear15
Mulder said:

TCU did all of that but still couldn't win. That's important to mention. It's kind of like the men's game vs Ok. State. Played poorly on the road but are clutch enough to not be upset. Teams have off games and that's okay. Good teams have off games and still win.
BaylorTaxman
Mulder said:

I wouldn't bet on it!
Against UT? Of course. But if they were playing a Top 40 caliber team instead, it might get close at the end.

ScottS
Mulder said:

I wouldn't bet on it!

I'll take that bet.
BaylorTaxman
bearbone11 said:

Mulder said:

I wouldn't bet on it!
Well, TCU is a better team than Texas, with a better coach, so C- would probably get it done. Your Longhorns should be more concerned with their upcoming trips to Oklahoma.
Not to mention that TCU has already won in Austin this season.
blueeyedbear
ScottS said:

Mulder said:

I wouldn't bet on it!

I'll take that bet.
I will take that bet as well - have a Benjamin to put on that bet
Iron Claw
CNC said:

Was that half-court trap defense the first we've seen that this season?

We did look lost. We had a good run in the first half to go up 25-14 (or so). Then we really didn't wake up again until the 4th quarter.

Strange no one really had a great game, but still won by 9. I thought the refs called it too tight on both sides (had head turn on Egbo's 5th foul, saw Juicy's 4th foul live & on replay, it was a joke).
Watched online and the TCU announcers were sure the officials missed a travel on every Bear possession. It was comical. I do recall Moon getting away with one but they were really harping on it late in the game, maybe the last 5 minutes.
FKA tri it
lookin4awin
Mulder said:

Did they watch film on TCU? `

Do you really thinnk they didn't? Have you ever been on a sports team that had a bad night? If not, you are the only person I know who didn't.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.