Smith's status??

4,811 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BU71
ScottS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone hear her status and when she might return?
bearbone11
In the postgame, Kim did not sound concerned and I think said that Nalyssa actually lobbied to play, but they didn't want to risk it. I bet she sits for Tech because we will blow them out anyway and then hopefully return next week.
R11
HoustonBear15
bearbone11 said:

In the postgame, Kim did not sound concerned and I think said that Nalyssa actually lobbied to play, but they didn't want to risk it. I bet she sits for Tech because we will blow them out anyway and then hopefully return next week.
Many also said we would blow TCU out... a team that lost to Tech
bearbone11
HoustonBear15 said:

bearbone11 said:

Despite Tech's somewhat miraculous win over TCU, there is no scenario in which they can defeat us in Waco. They are one of the 2 worst teams in the conference. Massey has it as a 100% win probability by a margin of 34 points. Anything less than a 20 point victory would be surprising.
R11
SirBearALot
I hope the players don't read our over confident post...we hyped beating TCU by 20 or 30. I was one of them. Too many times we brag and then get egg on our face.
BikerBear
At least we will have Wilson basketballs! :-)
HoustonBear15
bearbone11 said:

HoustonBear15 said:

bearbone11 said:

Despite Tech's somewhat miraculous win over TCU, there is no scenario in which they can defeat us in Waco. They are one of the 2 worst teams in the conference. Massey has it as a 100% win probability by a margin of 34 points. Anything less than a 20 point victory would be surprising.
I agree but the Big 12 has really been crazy. Tech also beat Oklahoma who destroyed West Virginia who beat Texas. I don't suspect it'll be a close game but Tech does have some
good players on their roster. Not sure why they haven't been more competitive this year.
slimecap
Kim Mulkey stated

"We're just kind of monitoring it day to day. Each day she's better, the swelling is down. She can run in a straight line, but just defensively, what we expect, I'm not going to take a chance this early in the conference play to have her tweak it again."

- Chad Conine, Waco Tribune-Herald, 22 Jan 2020
gobears20
Staff
To keep her out of a game Kim probably had to tie her to the chair.
lookin4awin
SirBearALot said:

I hope the players don't read our over confident post...we hyped beating TCU by 20 or 30. I was one of them. Too many times we brag and then get egg on our face.

They are probably on here now seeeing what we think about the match up and deciding whether to be overly confident or not.
blackie
SirBearALot said:

Don't be too hard on yourself. You did not know that Smith would not be playing.
SirBearALot
True but some were saying our second team could win the conference..we escaped with the first team minus one.
Eball
SirBearALot said:

True but some were saying our second team could win the conference..we escaped with the first team minus one.
ok...If we at this point in the season suspended our starting 5 and had to play only our subs then yes it would be a problem competing and winning the conference...I think for argument sake though when we talk about our subs we talking about their potential...lets say from the beginning of the year we had Moon, Queen, Bickle, TO and JO starting with EDG and five other subs equal to our present subs level available. Then I do believe we would be very competitive in the B12 and could win it all. Would we be as dominant no... would we lose a few more games probably... but talent wise we would not take a back seat to anyone. I would think with coaching and playing time we would challenge for the championship.
bearbone11
Eball said:

SirBearALot said:

ok...If we at this point in the season suspended our starting 5 and had to play only our subs then yes it would be a problem competing and winning the conference...I think for argument sake though when we talk about our subs we talking about their potential...lets say from the beginning of the year we had Moon, Queen, Bickle, TO and JO starting with EDG and five other subs equal to our present subs level available. Then I do believe we would be very competitive in the B12 and could win it all. Would we be as dominant no... would we lose a few more games probably... but talent wise we would not take a back seat to anyone. I would think with coaching and playing time we would challenge for the championship.
I agree with all of this. It can be difficult to know what we truly have in the backups when their playing time largely comes in garbage time, but the talent is there. In 2 years, our current bench will lead us to a Big 12 title. As for this year, they would certainly be a top 3 team in the conference, and would have no trouble putting away teams like Tech.
R11
DanaDane
SirBearALot said:

We beat them by 9. Smith's almost 17 points a game were missing. That's 26 points. You had no idea Smith wasn't playing. How were you "overconfident"? You were basically correct.
geewago
DanaDane said:

SirBearALot said:

We beat them by 9. Smith's almost 17 points a game were missing. That's 26 points. You had no idea Smith wasn't playing. How were you "overconfident"? You were basically correct.
Well well, let me just say this. Are we assuming that we would have beat TCU by 17 more points if Smith had played? How so? Egbo took her place and scored 14. So you'd have to subtract that wouldn't you? Based on the averages we would have only won by 3 more. Which would have helped but it wouldn't have been earth moving.
bearbone11
Smith would've eaten TCU alive. They would have had no answer to her size and athleticism, and she would not have gotten in foul trouble like Queen did. We never would have had to go to a smaller lineup, which caused some trouble. If Nalyssa plays, the whole complexion of the game changes and we win by 20 easily. Comparing their scoring averages doesn't really show how the game would've turned out.
R11
3rdgenbear
Smith definitely would have made a difference and I hope she comes back quickly and, most importantly, 100% healthy, but there was a lot more wrong with that game than Smith's absence. If we hit 65% of our freethrows we win by 15. They just collectively had an off night offensively....and, surprisingly, they won.

I expect to see a different team today. If Nalyssa isn't 100%, hopefully, she'll get the rest she needs.
ScottS
Will she play tonight?
hitmanmw
I was very surprised by DiDi's answer in the interview following the ISU game that Smith "had not even practiced so they were surprised when she was first off the bench." Can't believe she played after not even practicing but that certainly explains why she looked so tentative. Would nice nice to have full speed Nalyssa tonight but I doubt she will be there yet. Hopefully healthier than last game, though.

BUbackerinET
Didn't want to start a new thread with same title - is she playing (fully healthy) tonight at UT (1-31)?
bearbone11
There is a picture on twitter of Smith practicing yesterday, so unless she was re-injured in the last 24 hours I assume she is a go. It was likely the plan to bring her back for this game all along. The games against the Kansas teams next week should be lower stress games that we can use to give Smith and Cox some rest if needed.
R11
Jayman1963
Wasn't able to watch the game last night due to a conflict but noticed in the box score Smith only played 11 minutes. How did she look? Still hampered by the ankle sprain?
AirBear
Yes. You can tell she is not 100%. Plus Queen was scoring pretty much at will so no need to work Smith back in an risk further problems.
Jayman1963
Thanks for the update, Air Bear!
setshot
A high ankle sprain can plague a player for almost half a season, sometimes more. Mulkey has said all along that she would not play Smith unless the doctor/trainer gave her clearance, but even then it is probably a conditional matter in terms of minutes.. They probably said that she could play without danger of further harm, but that does not mean that she is ready to resume a normal routine effectiveness. She clearly cannot jump nor move with the same ease at this point and Mulkey is trying to bring her along gradually until she shows that she is over the after affects of the injury.

Smith is a luxury in conference games, and though her absence is keenly felt, she needs to be ready for the post season, including the conference tournament as a tune up, so her use in the games up ahead will be carefully assessed and monitored. It is unfortunate, because NaLyssa is a dominant player and against the quality teams we will face up ahead she will be needed..

The upside, if there is one, is that Queen Egbo is getting additional minutes and is taking advantage of them. i thought that she was the MVP of the Texas game, not because she was the leading scorer, but because she was very effective at the defensive end and on the boards and Texas had no answer for her in the deep paint. The baskets that she made were good, but she missed too many inside shots, as she often does, and she still struggles at the free throw line. She is so dominant physically against most teams that it is easy to forget that she is still a sophomore and in the learning stage.

I recall how delighted that I was when we won the recruiting battle over Texas to secure her services, no sure thing at the time, because I thought that she was a key to continued success in the high/low post game that Mulkey prefers, and I now feel the same way about Hannah Gusters, who will arrive as Cox leaves and who will give Coach Brock another major talent to mold into a force in the paint for Mulkey's warriors. Why any player of size or any point guard would not want to play in this system is beyond me, as it is ideal for both kinds of players, and Brock is a huge part of the reason why it is so successful.
BaylorTaxman
Jayman1963 said:

Wasn't able to watch the game last night due to a conflict but noticed in the box score Smith only played 11 minutes. How did she look? Still hampered by the ankle sprain?
She actually started but came out pretty quickly. She came back in and played the last couple of minutes in the second quarter, and then some more in the 4th quarter. She is definitely not where she was prior to the injury. Kim said they are basically just testing how she does on the court.

At times, Queen is just unstoppable on offense, and on defense Lauren was humiliating Joyner Holmes. There was no reason to push Smith.
blueeyedbear
setshot said:

A high ankle sprain can plague a player for almost half a season, sometimes more. Mulkey has said all along that she would not play Smith unless the doctor/trainer gave her clearance, but even then it is probably a conditional matter in terms of minutes.. They probably said that she could play without danger of further harm, but that does not mean that she is ready to resume a normal routine effectiveness. She clearly cannot jump nor move with the same ease at this point and Mulkey is trying to bring her along gradually until she shows that she is over the after affects of the injury.

Smith is a luxury in conference games, and though her absence is keenly felt, she needs to be ready for the post season, including the conference tournament as a tune up, so her use in the games up ahead will be carefully assessed and monitored. It is unfortunate, because NaLyssa is a dominant player and against the quality teams we will face up ahead she will be needed..

The upside, if there is one, is that Queen Egbo is getting additional minutes and is taking advantage of them. i thought that she was the MVP of the Texas game, not because she was the leading scorer, but because she was very effective at the defensive end and on the boards and Texas had no answer for her in the deep paint. The baskets that she made were good, but she missed too many inside shots, as she often does, and she still struggles at the free throw line. She is so dominant physically against most teams that it is easy to forget that she is still a sophomore and in the learning stage.

I recall how delighted that I was when we won the recruiting battle over Texas to secure her services, no sure thing at the time, because I thought that she was a key to continued success in the high/low post game that Mulkey prefers, and I now feel the same way about Hannah Gusters, who will arrive as Cox leaves and who will give Coach Brock another major talent to mold into a force in the paint for Mulkey's warriors. Why any player of size or any point guard would not want to play in this system is beyond me, as it is ideal for both kinds of players, and Brock is a huge part of the reason why it is so successful.
Totally agree.
At first I was not sure on the recruiting trade Queen for Collier because Karen wanted Collier so badly that she basically gave all her recruiting attention to Collier and we ended up with Queen coming over. Make no mistake CKM wanted her but UT was on her list !!!
After what I have seen from Collier and Queen so far this year we got the better part of that recruiting battle. Queen has the most upside mainly because she seems to be coachable - Collier not so much. At least under Karen's tutelage.
BU71
blueeyedbear said:

setshot said:

Totally agree.
At first I was not sure on the recruiting trade Queen for Collier because Karen wanted Collier so badly that she basically gave all her recruiting attention to Collier and we ended up with Queen coming over. Make no mistake CKM wanted her but UT was on her list !!!
After what I have seen from Collier and Queen so far this year we got the better part of that recruiting battle. Queen has the most upside mainly because she seems to be coachable - Collier not so much. At least under Karen's tutelage.
I agree, Collier would excel at BU assuming she would be willing to buy into the system. Queen is bought in and growing into a star right before our eyes. I expect her defense and FT shooting to improve and what is scary if you have to face her is that her offense has not topped out either.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.