If Aston gets fired

6,767 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by wuzzybear
Lion82
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Who will texas hire?
WNIT in '23
Big guy
I'll be the first one to throw out a name..... the TCU coach - Raegan Pebley.
Self Made Bear
I think she needs 6 or 7 more years to really prove herself. Patience Horn fans, patience.
EatMoreSalmon
Frank Martin

then the coaching progression would be Aston-Martin
setshot
Big guy, you are on to something. The job that Pebley is doing at TCU has been impressive.
WacoKelly83
Mackenzie Robertson.... definitely.
geewago
WacoKelly83 said:

Mackenzie Robertson.... definitely.
I don't know about that. That would be a , uh, well a real job.
Johnny Bear
Lion82 said:

Who will texas hire?
I have a pretty good hunch that Shaka Smart is going to be available soon.

Oh wait.....
Herb1986
Bill Brock
AirBear
setshot said:

Big guy, you are on to something. The job that Pebley is doing at TCU has been impressive.
And TCU has a senior heavy team. So now is the time for the TCU coach to make a move versus having to reload and wait on young players.
beardoc
Did Del Conte hire the current TCU coach when he was there?
AirBear
Yes.
drahthaar
Maybe that will direct some frog hate to horn for pilfering a coach.
BUVA
Charli Thorne from AZ State. Consistently ranked, and she might want to get out of the Pac12 meat grinder. She just hit 500 wins.
setshot
BUVA, that is a good one, too. Pebley does indeed have a senior laden team that has profited from transfers, but her first year at TCU impressed me a lot. She knows the conference, the recruiting territory, and has enough experience to make a strong case.

Thorne has been around longer and has an impressive resume. Her teams are usually good defensively, and well schooled and disciplined. She is one of several top coaches in the PAC 12 who stand out.
skilledup
I hope they give Travis Mays an opportunity
Wineguy89
witchmo said:

Maybe that will direct some frog hate to horn for pilfering a coach.

Froggies don't care about WBB, especially the way we do. Would barely be a blip on their purple radar.
Richard Reese
(True) Freshman - Bellville, TX
152 carries/791 yards/5.2 YPC/12 touchdowns
11 receptions/80 yards
1 game clinching studly TD vs Kansas
ZERO fumbles

Brett “Big Ballz” Yormark- Commissioner Big 12-16 Conference
One badass new TV contract with more goodies to come
Singletary63
Mark Morefield from MHBU would be our worse nightmare as he can recruit and coach. Don't think it will happen but he would make UT competitive and a legit power again in the conference.
Singletary63
blackie
Singletary63 said:

Mark Morefield from MHBU would be our worse nightmare as he can recruit and coach. Don't think it will happen but he would make UT competitive and a legit power again in the conference.
Actually anybody that could coach would make them a threat.
Johnny Bear
blackie said:

Singletary63 said:

Actually anybody that could coach would make them a threat.
While there are likely multiple coaches out there that could do a better job than Aston, UT's best bet as far as being a consistent power/threat in the conference again is to wait for CKM to retire which is hopefully still a long ways off.
BUVA
Singletary63 said:

Our Niya Johnson is an assistant coach for Morefield--he might take her along!
Lion82
Tcu coach would be my first choice. They might interview that turd waltz or maybe Vic Newman but I doubt they would pay what it would take to get either.
WNIT in '23
kbrun
What's going on down there in Longhorn Land? Coach Gail couldn't get it done and now Aston has a team with talent and the result is the same. Has to be more than just the coach.
AirBear
I believe it has to do with a coach 90 miles to the north.
Singletary63
BUVA.....Niya Johnson only coached with Coach Morefield for 1 year and that was last year. She moved on in another direction. Niya is no longer one of Morefield's assistant. Fred Ellis (former Baylor basketball player) is now on Coach Morefield's staff fyi.
Singletary63
drahthaar
kbrun said:

What's going on down there in Longhorn Land? Coach Gail couldn't get it done and now Aston has a team with talent and the result is the same. Has to be more than just the coach.

I'm here for the time being. Coach G didn't forget all her BB when she crossed the Sabine River and Aston has an excellent record by most standards....

I believe there must be something else at Forty Acres involved, and I'm not superstitious and don't believe in talismans. Shaka might be another example here, to go with Strong and Sledgehammer.
Malbec
witchmo said:

kbrun said:

I'm here for the time being. Coach G didn't forget all her BB when she crossed the Sabine River and Aston has an excellent record by most standards....

I believe there must be something else at Forty Acres involved, and I'm not superstitious and don't believe in talismans. Shaka might be another example here, to go with Strong and Sledgehammer.
Wineguy89
kbrun said:

Same sense of entitlement that afflicts the Football team. McDonald's All Americans react just like the 4* and 5* football kids. They peaked very early and don't take well to being coached hard. They hit their ceilings much earlier than the type of kids we try to bring in.

Another reason Kim doesn't lose many recruiting battles to UT (some, but not many).....she makes it very clear how she will catch the kids and won't take or keep ones that can't take that type of instruction. The same can't be said for Aston, or many of their coaches for that matter.
Richard Reese
(True) Freshman - Bellville, TX
152 carries/791 yards/5.2 YPC/12 touchdowns
11 receptions/80 yards
1 game clinching studly TD vs Kansas
ZERO fumbles

Brett “Big Ballz” Yormark- Commissioner Big 12-16 Conference
One badass new TV contract with more goodies to come
Lion82
I think it has to do with the type of player texas gets. We get Cox they get Holmes and boothe. Kim doesn't recruit snowflakes. There was a center from a local high school
A few years back that we didn't recruit. It seemed weird at the time but kim knows the ones that can't play for her.
WNIT in '23
bowdedg
Singletary63 said:

ABC BEAR
Wineguy89 said:

kbrun said:

Another reason Kim doesn't lose many recruiting battles to UT (some, but not many).....she makes it very clear how she will catch the kids and won't take or keep ones that can't take that type of instruction.
I had never applied a 'catch & release' philosophy to basketball, but I can see that it works.
ScottS
Lion82 said:

I think it has to do with the type of player texas gets. We get Cox they get Holmes and boothe. Kim doesn't recruit snowflakes. There was a center from a local high school
A few years back that we didn't recruit. It seemed weird at the time but kim knows the ones that can't play for her.

Cokie Reed?
whitetrash
ScottS said:

Lion82 said:

Cokie Reed?
Found a second career driving the Weinermobile.

BearFan33
IMO Aston is doing ok for UT. Sure she can't beat Baylor, but few can. As far as it come to recruits, UT has always done less with more.
ScottS
I think Aston is doing great and should remain there for years.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.