Baylor is at the top of the women's college basketball poll for the fourth consecutiv

3,569 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by wuzzybear
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Great Baylor Merchandise -> https://bit.ly/2M8DuHk
CHP Bear
Only 1 Big 12 team in top 25. Guess Our strength of schedule is questionable? Not after we win the National Championship.
historian
We do have wins over 2 ranked teams--including a road win over #6 UConn (Indiana is the other). Maybe at least one of the other Big 12 teams will be ranked by the end of the month.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
CHP Bear
historian said:

We do have wins over 2 ranked teams--including a road win over #6 UConn (Indiana is the other). Maybe at least one of the other Big 12 teams will be ranked by the end of the month.
Post was tongue in cheek. Except, we will be the champs! I have that much confidence.
wuzzybear
CHP Bear said:

historian said:

Post was tongue in cheek. Except, we will be the champs! I have that much confidence.
I'm glad you have that confidence. However, personally I think Oregon is easily the best team in WBB. Never watched a full game with them, but did so vs UCONN and wow...Ionescu is the total package which I knew, but I did not know how good their supporting caste is. They are big, move well without the ball, and can fire 3's at will.

The PAC 12 is pretty loaded in WBB this year. So they will be battle tested. Would love to play them if they are the best in a FF and let it fly !!!
wuzzybear
...and Oregon St. is not far behind them. They raise some tall lumberjack style women up there in the Evergreens.
historian
I must be dense!
CHP Bear
wuzzybear said:

CHP Bear said:

historian said:

I'm glad you have that confidence. However, personally I think Oregon is easily the best team in WBB. Never watched a full game with them, but did so vs UCONN and wow...Ionescu is the total package which I knew, but I did not know how good their supporting caste is. They are big, move well without the ball, and can fire 3's at will.

The PAC 12 is pretty loaded in WBB this year. So they will be battle tested. Would love to play them if they are the best in a FF and let it fly !!!
Valid points. I should have ended my post with ...however, "Past performance is no guarantee of future results."
Eball
wuzzybear said:

CHP Bear said:

historian said:

Tell that to the two teams that have already beaten them this year...
willtalk
Baylor has the most legit claim to be rated #1, but the eye test does say that Oregon is the most complete and most talented team in WCBB. The main difference between Oregon last season and this, are they have more depth and actually play really good defense.

Yet this year there are more good teams than ever who are capable of knocking off the top teams on any given night. The fewer games a team has against that type of opposition the less the odds they will get knocked off by a slightly lesser team. The NCAA's this year should be interesting to say the least. A lot will depend on matchups and if a good team can catch the top teams on an off shooting night.

Baylor also has the best chance of maintaining their top rating, because, barring a major upset, no one left on their schedule really has a shot at beating them till the NCAA's.
historian
Oregon's advantage over Baylor is that the Pac 12 has multiple legitimately good/great teams while the Big 12 is dominated by Baylor with no others likely to deny us the conference title. They will be more tested by the time they get to the tournament, even if they lose 1-2 games along the way. Other than South Carolina & UConn, we haven't really been tested much & probably won't be until March.
Chibears2
But one thing our conference HAS always provided was a variety of styles. Teams that play inside out; teams that play outside in; teams where all five positions can shoot from outside; finesse teams; physical teams; good three point shooting teams; fast teams that get up and down the court...

Even on defense we see man and zone and Finnelly's "junk" defenses.

At least we see a lot of different styles for which we have to prepare and for which we have film.

I agree it helps sharpen a team to play in a tough conference, but our conference, I think, has more competitive teams than their rankings might show. And we're just darn good. Put us in another conference, and we'd still be making most of the other teams look bad.
Eball
historian said:

Oregon's advantage over Baylor is that the Pac 12 has multiple legitimately good/great teams while the Big 12 is dominated by Baylor with no others likely to deny us the conference title. They will be more tested by the time they get to the tournament, even if they lose 1-2 games along the way. Other than South Carolina & UConn, we haven't really been tested much & probably won't be until March.
So you hold to the theory that good losses are better than bad wins?
Valkyrie
I just wish we had more competitive opponents and games in the Big12.
blackie
Quote:

So you hold to the theory that good losses are better than bad wins?

I just wish we had more competitive opponents and games in the Big12.
I find the these responses very interesting when you view them together. Following the second response could I guess support the first one.

All I know is, be careful what you wish for. You might get it and then find you don't like it so much. Just play the schedule you have and do your best with that and move on. There were years when the conference was more competitive (primarily because we weren't as good) and we got punished for our record in those years (having losses and not winning championships).

It seems recruiting is better with the fewest losses and do recruits look at our record in the Big XII and say well Baylor has won 10 times in a row, but the conference is weak. Probably not....they just look at the 10 times in a row part.
Eball
I would also point out that our bench is likely the deepest, most talented and experienced in the nation. Our bench players average more minutes and more points per game than just about anyone you care to compare them to...Our bench averages 33.9 points a game compared to:

South Carolina 28.9
Oregon 24.9
UL 16.4
UCONN 15.6

Everything is a balance or "two edged sword" while you need tough games to prepare you...the season is a grind and developing depth and avoiding over use of your starters is a key to making a long run in the NCAA's

We have two bench players Queen and Moon who can step into a starting role and compete at a high level if they have to due to injury or foul trouble. They have already proved and will only continue to get better.

Our starting 5 is balanced and shares the ball and is not adverse to playing defense and we have the best depth in the game...I like our chances even if we are in the B12!
historian
No, I'm saying that a team that plays a tougher schedule will be challenged more and the experience might make them better.
Eball
I just went back and watched some high lights from our game with Oregon last year and studied the box score...wow what a great game...back and forth and down to the wire...but for Cox injury much closer than the ND final...

I don't want anyone to think I am over confident about our Lady Bears but by gosh we are if not the best one of the best in the Land this year and while we could get beat unless we have an injury or something unusual it will take a very good effort from one of the other top teams to beat us....
Dcheetah
If refs would call moving screens just a few times each game, and pushing with the off hand on drives, we would have won more comfortably. This doesn't ever seem to get called against them in the games I have watched but we were called for much less contact getting over screens. Need refs to be consistent in their calls. I sure hope Kim will make a push about this pregame with refs if we meet.
3rdgenbear
Didn't the Big 12's third place team beat the Pac 12's 1st place team?

Just because our Lady Bears play very dominantly doesn't mean the rest of the Big 12 aren't competitive against other conferences.
historian
Maybe so. But only Baylor & TCU are ranked now.
3rdgenbear
I don't think that is the Big 12's teams' fault. As Geno recently stated about being ranked #1, "I just laughed, I don't know what they were thinking."

I don't either. It's very subjective.

Hopefully our teams will get a chance to prove it.
historian
The Lady Bears dominate the Big 12. They have swept the conference in regular season play for the past 2 years. They have 9 straight conference titles. They also have won conference tournament titles in every year but two since 2009. And last but not least, they are the reigning national champions. Their goal is to repeat each of these accomplishments in 2020 and repeatedly demonstrate that they might be able to. They beat each conference foe in blowout fashion, most recently beating Kansas by a record 53 points.

I'm not saying the rest of the conference is garbage. They clearly are not. They are very good teams with much talent and several will probably end up in the NCAA tourney. I'm only saying that they do not compete on the same level as Baylor. Baylor is the only team with a realistic chance of making it to the Final Four.
wuzzybear
Eball said:

wuzzybear said:

CHP Bear said:

historian said:

Tell that to the two teams that have already beaten them this year...
If MBB is the best in the country should I tell that to the Washington Huskies? Point is that I'm talking right here and now. UCONN is a pretty good barometer for any WBB team. I watched BU and Oregon both and granted Cox was just getting back into bball shape, but in my opinion, Oregon dominated them much more than we did. That's all. The eye test tells me they will be a FF team FOR SURE. For us I am very impressed by Didi's play this year. Her goofy midrange shot is a magic trick. With that shooting motion I have no idea how she scores so many 12' jumpers. She's really good at both assists and that shot and teams tend to lay off her around the perimeter. Her shot is hard to block too bc she almost puts the ball high and to the back of her head extending which is really hard to block.

Kudos to Moon Ursin to cuz that vertical leap gives her prefect timing on a jumper and she can shoot from anywhere. I wish the coaches would work more on vertical leap for all of them. I get that women cannot explode off the floor, but they still should work HARD on doing that. When I was in junior high (45 yrs ago) I used to jump over a weight bench back and forth left to right etc. Then once I got pretty good and didn't trip over myself I added ankle weights....first 1 lb then 2 etc and stopped at 5lbs. Do that for 5 min, rest 1, another 5 etc til I fell over.

I',m way off the subject now, but I don't care. As far as team practice goes we used to practice offensive plays using 6 players on defense as well. We're talking mid 1970's here so yeah I'm worn out now. LOL But I do like our chances really well for a FF if we get the bracket opposite Oregon and OSU. I'm sure KM would love to top off her career with a natty in Nola. Sorry for the stream of consciousness here...just had to throw in a few things on my mind.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.