Is OSU Coach Littrell really any good?

3,084 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Eball
GarlandBear84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Kim always praises him as do many on this board, but is he really any good? His team is 3-7 now and firmly entrenched in next-to-last in a weak B12. He's got a very good player in Vivian Grey and another one in Asberry. He's been there a long time to build a program.
Chibears2
And Mack. Very good transfer. Not sure what the issue is there.
geewago
Actually, THIS year - any team not named Baylor or TCU appears to have rather poor coaching.
bearbone11
They lost to Iowa State, Texas, and TCU playing without Natasha Mack. They were all close losses, and likely wins if she had been available. They also had a total fluke meltdown against Oklahoma. Basically they are some bad luck and an injury away from being 7-3. Basically all the teams in the conference except for Baylor and Kansas are pretty evenly matched this year, so there is almost no margin for error.
R11
3rdgenbear
I think the Big12 is stronger than you might think. Certainly, the NC Lady Bears set the bar very high, but most of our teams compete very well out of conference. They just beat each other up in Big 12 conference play. In non-conference, even Kansas beat a Florida team that just beat #15 Kentucky. I think most of our teams could play with any team outside of the top 10 or 12.

OSU lost to Oregon by 17. Oregon beat UConn by 18.

We have some great programs and coaches in the Big 12, OSU included. Several more of them should be ranked.

geewago
So based on their records right now, who else but TCU should be ranked in the top 25 ??
bearbone11
geewago said:

So based on their records right now, who else but TCU should be ranked in the top 25 ??
I would argue that Texas is playing well enough to be ranked right now, but their ugly early-season losses will hold them back unless they keep winning for the next couple weeks. The rest of the conference is good enough to be competitive, but not good enough to really push for a ranking.
R11
3rdgenbear
Tech, WVU, even Texas with their 7 losses (based on their Stanford win).

Arizona is a 6 loss team and they are in top 20.

TCU is in 8th place among teams with 4 or more losses.
GarlandBear84
I won't be surprised if the B12 only gets four teams in the NCAA tournament and that would be pitiful.
Chibears2
Tech is finding their groove. Not looking forward to our game up there. Think they will be a program to contend with in upcoming seasons. Will have to up recruiting some, but have a good coach, I think.

Will be interesting to see how TCU reloads after this year's seniors graduate. Think they have a good coach, as well.

West Virginia is the team that perplexes me. Have the players, have the coach. Maybe it's the travel rigors.

Will be interesting to see who gets on a roll in second half....
GarlandBear84
TT is 3-6 in conference.
geewago
GarlandBear84 said:

TT is 3-6 in conference.
Yeah, every time they find their groove they lose the next two.
3rdgenbear
GarlandBear84 said:

I won't be surprised if the B12 only gets four teams in the NCAA tournament and that would be pitiful.

If that turns out to be true, it will be because of the strength of the teams in our conference, not the weakness.

It is very hard to come out of Big 12 conference play with the required record to qualify. If it was based on the best teams, we would have 5 or 6.

Chibears2
I'll stand by this. You guys can dog me if I end up way off, but I do think Tech is becoming more confident and therefore more dangerous. I am talking about what I believe might happen, not what has happened, so, of course I may be wrong. Still there it is, my gut feeling.
bearbone11
The ACC is currently projected to get only 5 teams in, and they have 15 to choose from. Getting 4 teams from the Big 12 wouldn't be a terrible result, though it would be nice if we weren't the only ones advancing to the 2nd weekend.
R11
geewago
Chibears2 said:

I'll stand by this. You guys can dog me if I end up way off, but I do think Tech is becoming more confident and therefore more dangerous. I am talking about what I believe might happen, not what has happened, so, of course I may be wrong. Still there it is, my gut feeling.
Chibears2 I didn't mean to be dogging you. I was just being funny. I actually agree with you. I think Tech has made some improvement under their new coach. If they could manage to win at least 4 more games they might actually get a tourney bid. Although their ooc record will probably be held against them as they played the weakest of all schedules. I figured after they walloped OSU last week they would beat KSST tonight. But no they are just as bi-polar as TX. They have the dubious honor of being the only team in conference that KU has beat. That's pretty sad.

Keep you're eye on their upcoming game at home with TX. That could be interesting.
BaylorTaxman
Tech is awful. I am not sure how it is possible to lose to Kansas, but they did. And they lost again tonight, this time to Kansas State. We had zero focus when we played them.

At this point, I think the Big 12 gets three teams in. WVU has completely fallen apart and is now a long shot at best. OU may be as bad as Tech. UT will probably make it with its non-conference wins. I think TCU will also. So BU, TCU and UT.
setshot
Tech lives and dies by the three point shot, much as Oklahoma does. We defend the arc very well, and since Oregon also does a lot of shooting from distance, this will be good practice for us as we prepare for the NCAA Tournament. We lose focus occasionally because we have a commitment to help out on defense. Against good three point shooting defenders cannot help out nearly as much.

I like our chances to go undefeated in conference play and again in the conference tournament at the end of the regular season. We are defending very well, and when Smith is healthy we score more easily and rebound more effectively. Egbo is showing to good effect on the boards and defending well. Her chief weakness at the moment seems to be at the free throw line, but she has time to work on that and improve. If not it will make it difficult for Mulkey to use her in late game situations.
Malbec
Chibears2 said:

Tech is finding their groove. Not looking forward to our game up there. Think they will be a program to contend with in upcoming seasons. Will have to up recruiting some, but have a good coach, I think.

Will be interesting to see how TCU reloads after this year's seniors graduate. Think they have a good coach, as well.

West Virginia is the team that perplexes me. Have the players, have the coach. Maybe it's the travel rigors.

Will be interesting to see who gets on a roll in second half....
WVU has some serious team chemistry issues.
Chibears2
geewago said:

Chibears2 said:

Chibears2 I didn't mean to be dogging you. I was just being funny. I actually agree with you. I think Tech has made some improvement under their new coach. If they could manage to win at least 4 more games they might actually get a tourney bid. Although their ooc record will probably be held against them as they played the weakest of all schedules. I figured after they walloped OSU last week they would beat KSST tonight. But no they are just as bi-polar as TX. They have the dubious honor of being the only team in conference that KU has beat. That's pretty sad.

Keep you're eye on their upcoming game at home with TX. That could be interesting.
Didn't think you were dogging me...yet. Just figured that would be coming if I end up missing on this. I like to be right, but I don't HAVE to be right all the time (which is good, 'cause I'm not...). What I had in mind when I said watch out for Tech is that they looked confident on their home court shooting lights out against OU in that blowout. And I know OU isn't good this year, but I watched that game, and they could have beaten a lot of teams that day. Now, it's easier to have a game like that on your home court where one is familiar with lighting, site lines, etc., but the confidence from a game like that travels.

I just think by conference tourney time, they could mess up someone's fun. I also see our conference game there as a dangerous game for us, if they hit three's like they did in OU game and the refs let them defend our posts overly physical without calling it, and/or we get in foul trouble. The team has to take that game seriously and I know Coach will prepare them, but those players can't just forget the history of how bad Tech has been.

Anyway, I get most don't share my gut feeling and that's okay with me...it's all good!
Chibears2
BaylorTaxman said:

Tech is awful. I am not sure how it is possible to lose to Kansas, but they did. And they lost again tonight, this time to Kansas State. We had zero focus when we played them.

At this point, I think the Big 12 gets three teams in. WVU has completely fallen apart and is now a long shot at best. OU may be as bad as Tech. UT will probably make it with its non-conference wins. I think TCU will also. So BU, TCU and UT.
Don't see Tech as awful. A team can be better than their record, but you certainly make your point well. As far as teams in tournament, we are in agreement on the three that get in. TCU has been knocking on the door with its WNIT post season invites. It will be interesting to see what happens with this team when it looses its seniors. Notre Dame certainly hasn't faired well this year after loosing their team from last year!
GarlandBear84
I won't be surprised if the TCU coach parlays this season into a new job. It's smart to strike while the iron is hot. After losing five starting seniors I expect their record to fall off next season.
GoldenBear
setshot said:

Tech lives and dies by the three point shot, much as Oklahoma does. We defend the arc very well, and since Oregon also does a lot of shooting from distance, this will be good practice for us as we prepare for the NCAA Tournament. We lose focus occasionally because we have a commitment to help out on defense. Against good three point shooting defenders cannot help out nearly as much.

I like our chances to go undefeated in conference play and again in the conference tournament at the end of the regular season. We are defending very well, and when Smith is healthy we score more easily and rebound more effectively. Egbo is showing to good effect on the boards and defending well. Her chief weakness at the moment seems to be at the free throw line, but she has time to work on that and improve. If not it will make it difficult for Mulkey to use her in late game situations.
Yes,Egbo is coming on, Against KU, she stoked her first 4 FTs beautififally but after that she seemed to lose concentration and just aimed the ball.
Eball
Good enough to beat WVU!
GarlandBear84
Eball said:

Good enough to beat WVU!

You mean 4-6 WVU who is in sixth place in the B12?
Eball
The same yes
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.