Next Year's Squad

4,394 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BaylorRocks
hitmanmw
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As much as I'm enjoying watching this year's team, I am becoming increasingly concerned about next year's squad. Losing Lauren, Juicy, and Te'a is going to be incredibly hard to overcome, especially at the guard position. Hard to see our freshman PG being ready to run the team next year. What is the plan?? I would have to think Kim is looking to bring in another grad transfer guard. Otherwise, our outside shooting looks like a major concern.

Likely starters:
PG?
Moon
DiDi
Smith
Queen

The bench was REALLY shaky vs Kansas for long stretches. Kim had to yank them all out in the first half.
Would love to hear your thoughts about the team is likely to shape up next year.
geewago
That's not a bad starting lineup there if Sarah Andrews is added as the PG. She can shoot threes and so can Moon. Jordan and Trinity are going to be super solid off the bench, maybe even starters. With Queen, and Smith in the paint others teams are going to have nightmares dealing with them after one more year under their belt. Gusters and Bickle providing plenty of backup to them. And then there's Didi, the icing on the cake.

Bring in a top notch grad transfer, or Juco or foreign star and you've got a top 10 team.
lookin4awin
We will need a grad transfer or two, otherwise we only have nine players.

Kim can count and read tea leaves. I feel comfortable that she already has a few names and a plan in mind.
bearbone11
I don't have even the slightest concern for next year's team. All-Americans graduate, and we replace them with new ones. We have more talent on this team than we can even use at this point. Kim runs a well oiled machine, and it isn't slowing down any time soon. The offense looked a little out of sync the other day when the whole bench was in, but they still played good defense. With experience they will be fine.

Based on recent use patterns and comments, I expect Didi to run the point next year, at least to start with. She has been phenomenal in the last few games and is more than capable of handling it. Jordyn Oliver and Sarah Andrews will also see time in this spot. Sarah Andrews could move into the lineup at some point in the season if she is as good as advertised, but probably not from day one. Even Odyssey Sims didn't start day one.

Moon, Nalyssa and Queen will obviously start. I bet Nalyssa will challenge for the Naismith award next year, she is just that good. Moon and Queen are both outstanding, they just happen to be on one of about 5 teams in which they would not be starters. I expect minimal dropoff there next year.

The final starting spot could go several ways, with any of the returning guards possibly claiming it. Caitlin played pretty well before her knee slowed her down, and Trinity has looked very good recently. Jordyn probably has the most talent of the group, but the least experience. I see little reason for concern among that group.

The depth issue will probably be addressed, but there are no guarantees. We got lucky the last 2 years to find an elite grad-transfer guard, but that won't necessarily happen every year. I would not be overly surprised if we largely just run with what we have, maybe bringing in a transfer for depth. If Sarah Andrews is the point guard of the future, it may be best to get her experience now, at the risk of some growing pains.
R11
Eball
Next Year...

DiDi
Moon
JO
Smith
Queen

These are your starters and the first three will handle the ball...JO has been learning to play point all season...

Bickel
TO
Gusters
Andrews
Are very talented and two of them will be JR's

You could go win with these 9 but I agree it is likely Kim finds at least one more player if not two to add to the roster. If we find another top level guard then JO could get bumped back to the bench but she will have a much bigger role next year no matter what....I expect Gusters and Andrews to be good and get minutes but they are freshmen...
Chibears2
I wouldn't be surprised to see Moon continue to come off the bench. A 6th (wo)man who can instantly up her teammates energy level and put positive stats on the book at the same time is invaluable.
Heart
Chibears2 said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Moon continue to come off the bench. A 6th (wo)man who can instantly up her teammates energy level and put positive stats on the book at the same time is invaluable.
What an athlete Moon is!
hitmanmw
Eball said:

Next Year...

DiDi
Moon
JO
Smith
Queen

These are your starters and the first three will handle the ball...JO has been learning to play point all season...

Bickel
TO
Gusters
Andrews

You could go win with these 9 but I agree it is likely Kim finds at least one more player if not two to add to the roster. If we find another top level guard then JO could get bumped back to the bench but she will have a much bigger role next year no matter what....I expect Gusters and Andrews to be good and get minutes but they are freshmen...

I would be concerned about that starting 5. It's been so nice having a PG that can shoot the 3. That has really opened things up against teams that try to zone us. That would not be a good outside shooting team. You can tell JO is super talented but she was a disaster vs Kansas. Will be fun to see how she progresses and if she's ready to start next year. I plan on seeing Andrews and Gusters play Flower Mound soon. IMO, you gotta have a 1 and 2 that can shoot the 3. We will miss Juicy!
bearbone11
hitmanmw said:

Eball said:

Next Year...

DiDi
Moon
JO
Smith
Queen

Bickel
TO
Gusters
Andrews

I would be concerned about that starting 5. It's been so nice having a PG that can shoot the 3. That has really opened things up against teams that try to zone us. That would not be a good outside shooting team. You can tell JO is super talented but she was a disaster vs Kansas. Will be fun to see how she progresses and if she's ready to start next year. I plan on seeing Andrews and Gusters play Flower Mound soon. IMO, you gotta have a 1 and 2 that can shoot the 3. We will miss Juicy!
We won the national title last year with a point guard who made one 3-pointer all season. Kim will work the offense around the players' strengths. Moon has proved to be a good shooter, and I think Caitlin and Jordyn are as well, though they sometimes lack confidence to shoot in games. All of them, plus Sarah Andrews, should bring enough outside shooting. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Nalyssa extend her range as well.
R11
Polarbear
I think it's pretty clear that, of the returning players, the leaders in minutes will probably be Smith, Egbo, Richards, and Ursin.

I think the real questions on the table are (a) who will be the 5th starter/5th most minutes, and (b) how do we fill the PG position? Regarding PG, it appears we have 4 options:

1) Grad Transfer - this has been our stopgap solution for the last two years with Chloe and Tea. We were forced into this cycle since Morris was dismissed from the program, or she would likely have been a 3 year starter. We've been extremely fortunate because both Chloe and Tea have been marvelous additions. Will we bring in a PG as a grad transfer for the 3rd consecutive season? Who might be out there?
2) Sarah Andrews - assuming she develops into the college player which her talent suggests, she will be the future of the PG position over the next four years. However, how much can we realistically expect from her during her Freshman year? At many other programs, highly recruited Freshmen will start from Day One; just this year we're seeing Espenmiller-McGraw at ISU and Celeste Taylor at UT with major roles. Historically at Baylor under Mulkey, it's harder for Freshmen to get major minutes. This is probably a combination of (a) hard to find minutes on a roster full of talented upperclassmen, (b) Mulkey has high standard for defensive play and for mental decisions, and it takes time for most HS players to learn and grow so they can meet that standard, and (c) we are usually competing at a Top 10 level nationally, and it's hard to a Freshman to consistently play at that higher level of competition. We've seen some Freshmen make major contributions, most recently from Lauren Cox, Alexis Morris , and NaLyssa Smith. However, the more normal path is what we're seeing from Jordyn Oliver this year, in that they'll get some minutes in less competitive games and develop over time in practice.
3) Jordyn Oliver - yes, she's often playing PG this season. However, that's more a function of need since we don't have a true backup PG. She's been up and down this year at PG, capable of excellent passes and strong drives to the hoop, followed by poor passes and unforced turnovers. It's pretty clear that SG is Jordyn's more natural position. Her future at Baylor is very bright, but I'm not convinced her future is at PG.
4) Didi Richards (offense)/Moon Ursin (defense) - this is the more unconventional solution, but intriguing. Didi is frequently handling the ball and initiating the offense this year, and she's doing it very well. In fact, I often think that our best half court offense is when we use Didi to initiate the offense, with Tea and Juicy working the perimeter and Lauren and NaLyssa/Queen working the interior. Didi has evolved into an excellent passer, with good vision, good angles, and good pace on her passes. Much like Magic Johnson, her length also allows her to pass over the top of most defenders so she has more options to deliver the ball. She is more than functional, she is very good with the ball in her hands. The reason I listed Moon in combination is that I believe Moon is an excellent on ball defender, and usually her size matches up best with opponent PG's. In my view, if Didi is our primary ball handler next year, she can still cover the opponent's best perimeter scorer, because Moon can defend the PG.

At this moment in February 2020, I would predict that option (4) is what we'll see next year, with Didi initiating the offense and Moon defending the opponent's PG. That leaves Sarah Andrews in the more appropriate role of backup PG off the bench. It also means we'll see either Trinity or Jordyn as the 5th starter, and that one is a coin flip for me. At this moment, I think Trinity is slightly a better defender and better decision maker, and Jordyn has slightly better athleticism and scoring ability. Wouldn't shock me if they average about the same number of minutes next year.

Eball
hitmanmw said:

Eball said:

Next Year...

DiDi
Moon
JO
Smith
Queen

Bickel
TO
Gusters
Andrews

JO was a disaster v Kansas? I am not sure what you are talking about? I thought she played reasonably well for a freshman running PG for significant minutes....she had three turnovers and was only 1-5 from the FT line but she was 4-7 shooting, 9 points, 2 assists, 2 steals, 1 rebound...Moon and DiDi both had 3 TO's as well but we would not call their performance disastrous!
blueeyedbear
Eball said:

hitmanmw said:

Eball said:

Next Year...

DiDi
Moon
JO
Smith
Queen

Bickel
TO
Gusters
Andrews

JO was a disaster v Kansas? I am not sure what you are talking about? I thought she played reasonably well for a freshman running PG for significant minutes....she had three turnovers and was only 1-5 from the FT line but she was 4-7 shooting, 9 points, 2 assists, 2 steals, 1 rebound...Moon and DiDi both had 3 TO's as well but we would not call their performance disastrous!
CKM sent a very loud and clear message at her presser that 3 players off the bench were not up to her expectations. She would not name them just said they know who they are. No doubt JO was one of the three. I expect we will see a better performance if they hit the floor vs Kansas State. I saw nothing that is not fixable - it will get fixed or they will sit !!!!
setshot
We are losing our top two three point shooters and not replacing them with similar talent, so our offense will be much easier to defend. All three of the senior starters are at the top of our defensive list, along with Didi, and I don't think their replacements will be at that level, at least at this stage of their careers.

We are losing top level talent with great experience, and while I like the players on our bench and expect that both Andrews and Gusters will eventually be very good, the loss of van Lith in this class was huge. We will just have to wait and see who the additional players turn out to be. Right now there is a very large drop off in talent, though more so for Final Four possibilities than for conference play.
bearbone11
Jordyn obviously lacks experience, but she is also playing out of position and learning to defend Big 12 caliber players. I expect her to make a big leap next year, just like many have before her. Anyone remember how rough Juicy was as a freshman? They still poke fun at her for the time she fouled out in 9 minutes against Kansas State. A year later she was starting and a year after that she played all 40 minutes of the national championship game. I think Jordyn is more advanced at this point than Juicy was, so there is no telling how good she might become.
R11
Eball
setshot said:

We are losing our top two three point shooters and not replacing them with similar talent, so our offense will be much easier to defend. All three of the senior starters are at the top of our defensive list, along with Didi, and I don't think their replacements will be at that level, at least at this stage of their careers.

We are losing top level talent with great experience, and while I like the players on our bench and expect that both Andrews and Gusters will eventually be very good, the loss of van Lith in this class was huge. We will just have to wait and see who the additional players turn out to be. Right now there is a very large drop off in talent, though more so for Final Four possibilities than for conference play.
Very good post! I think too many of us are spoiled they believe that we should challenge for a final fourth berth every year....and they do not know how hard that is to do...I don't think we will ever pull a Notre Dame... oh my gosh they really fell off the map...but it is hard to maintain that high standard year in and year out. WE will be good next year. depending on who may transfer in and how well our freshman adjust we could be top 10 quality but we will challenge for the B12 no matter what...
Booray
setshot said:

All true. However, there will likely be one very important returning contributor--Kim Mulkey. Based on that alone, I think we will be ok.

I do think Nalyssa, Queen and Didi will cause even elite schools problems.. And it is worth noting that Oregon and Louisville will lose three starters, UConn and South Carolina will lose two. Stanford should be fully loaded.
lookin4awin
We need to have a really good freshman recruiting class next year too. The ESPN top 100 doesn't list as many state of Texas players as usual, so hope Kim has some out of state talent she's moving toward.

I doubt that Gusters and Andrews are going to come in battle ready. Remember it took a season for Cox and I am not expecting Gusters to be a difference maker next year...hopefully, I am wrong.Odyssey was better than most Freshman guards, and I will be pleasantly surprised if Andrews is going to be a difference maker next year.

We need a couple of grad transfers come in ready to play.
lookin4awin
Eball said:

Next Year...

DiDi
Moon
JO
Smith
Queen

Bickel
TO
Gusters
Andrews

I think we are going to be hurting on the 3 ball next year, which isn't a good thing for Smith and Egbo. The problem with DIdi at Point is that she can't shoot a three ball, and we are losing our top two three ball threats in Cooper and Landrum. I think we have some problems next year without some grad transfer help at PG. Of course problems for a Kim team means maybe up to five losses the whole season.
BU71
lookin4awin said:

Eball said:

Next Year...

DiDi
Moon
JO
Smith
Queen

Bickel
TO
Gusters
Andrews

I think we are going to be hurting on the 3 ball next year, which isn't a good thing for Smith and Egbo. The problem with DIdi at Point is that she can't shoot a three ball, and we are losing our top two three ball threats in Cooper and Landrum. I think we have some problems next year without some grad transfer help at PG. Of course problems for a Kim team means maybe up to five losses the whole season.
Predictions:.
  • JO becomes the next Juicy, strong defense, deadly midrange and able to driver to the basket. Eventually she will be a good 3 point shooter. All this will happen IMO, the question for me is will it be in her sophomore or her junior year.
  • TO becomes a valuable perimeter player, strong defense, deadly midrange game and very good close to the basket.If she becomes a threat from 3 point range her PT goes way up.
  • Can you keep Moon out of the starting lineup next year? Probably not.
  • Didi, All-American, I believe her midrange game continues to grow and so does her defense if that is even possible.
  • NaLyssa and Queen become a shorter, more athletic nightmare for the opposition.
  • The question is will Bickle continue to develop (I believe she will) and how much of a contribution can we expect from Sarah and Hannah (They will be okay by tournament time)
  • In the absence of grad transfers we will be the favorite to win the Big 12. If we strike gold again with a grad transfer(s) and/or faster growth from the freshmen BU is once again a threat to be a final four team.
  • Maybe this is wishful thinking but with the coaches we have and the type of players we recruit this is well within the realm of the possible if not probable.
DanaDane
hitmanmw said:

As much as I'm enjoying watching this year's team, I am becoming increasingly concerned about next year's squad. Losing Lauren, Juicy, and Te'a is going to be incredibly hard to overcome, especially at the guard position. Hard to see our freshman PG being ready to run the team next year. What is the plan?? I would have to think Kim is looking to bring in another grad transfer guard. Otherwise, our outside shooting looks like a major concern.

Likely starters:
PG?
Moon
DiDi
Smith
Queen

The bench was REALLY shaky vs Kansas for long stretches. Kim had to yank them all out in the first half.
Would love to hear your thoughts about the team is likely to shape up next year.
You didn't know who the PG for this year was gonna be at this time last year, nor the year before. Good possibility for a grad transfer or Mulkey may decide to go with Andrews and Jordyn Oliver alternating frequently since Didi can also create within reason on the offensive end. Jordyn Oliver will make a big leap once she's had a full offseason of workouts.

And Moon is not "obviously gonna start" as someone else (not you) responded somewhere in this thread. More than likely she'll play a lot more next year, but it will continue to be as a spark off the bench. A lot of our fans have a difficult time separating their love for a player vs. that player's actual skillset.
GrizBear
DanaDane said:

You didn't know who the PG for this year was gonna be at this time last year, nor the year before. Good possibility for a grad transfer or Mulkey may decide to go with Andrews and Jordyn Oliver alternating frequently since Didi can also create within reason on the offensive end. Jordyn Oliver will make a big leap once she's had a full offseason of workouts.
Agree.

My two cents:
-Mulkey would love to see a healthy Sarah Andrews grab the reins at PG during non conference and be the starter.
-Mulkey would like to move Jordyn Oliver back to her more natural position at SG and be available for backup minutes at PG.
-Didi is always there for backup minutes at PG but is more valuable at other positions.
-It always depends on who is available, but I would expect Mulkey to be on the lookout for another grad transfer who is a combo PG/SG and can fill both roles.
GoldenBear
GrizBear said:

DanaDane said:

Agree.

My two cents:
-Mulkey would love to see a healthy Sarah Andrews grab the reins at PG during non conference and be the starter.
-Mulkey would like to move Jordyn Oliver back to her more natural position at SG and be available for backup minutes at PG.
-Didi is always there for backup minutes at PG but is more valuable at other positions.
-It always depends on who is available, but I would expect Mulkey to be on the lookout for another grad transfer who is a combo PG/SG and can fill both roles.
I suspect more and more interest from exceptional grads wanting to be part of Lady Bears' parade of champions..

hitmanmw
setshot said:

I completely agree! It's hard not to foresee a huge drop off in offensive production. I can't argue the logic that we won a national title with Chloe at PG but you also can't say that it was helpful that teams never had to guard her out to the 3 line. Same for DiDi. When she doesn't look at the basket and teams don't guard her, it bogs down the offense. But the way she is knocking down that mid range jumper lately is HUGE.

Still sick about not getting Van Lith but I'm even more sick about losing Morris. She would've been the missing ingredient. Such a shame...
GarlandBear84
Has Morris been injured this season. I just looked at her season stats and only 57 minutes played with terrible shooting stats and more turnovers than assists. Perhaps all that potential we saw in her was never going to happen.
Dcheetah
I think Moon will prove to be a very capable and consistent scorer both from midrange and the arc. I also think she starts. Someone else will step up sufficiently out of our Olivers or another add on tto help with scoring or D off the bench. Moon's most consistent contribution off the bench this year has been her D and not her O so her offense can be replaced. Moon has needed more confidence in her game in the past and by next year I think she will step into a scorer-shut down defender role very well. I also believe we will add another very capable outside shooter by next season. A more healthy Bickel will help this too. Kim has seen how devastating this inside outside game can be and I expect there won't be near the drop off in scoring many suspect.
BU71
GarlandBear84 said:

Has Morris been injured this season. I just looked at her season stats and only 57 minutes played with terrible shooting stats and more turnovers than assists. Perhaps all that potential we saw in her was never going to happen.
I watched part of a Rutgers game several days ago and Morris was in a walking boot.
lookin4awin
She'd have been an All-American here.
Dcheetah
yep
bbfan89
If there is one coach in Baylor history that has earned our trust, it's Kim. I'm not worried.
Valkyrie
bbfan89 said:

If there is one coach in Baylor history that has earned our trust, it's Kim. I'm not worried.
The sky is not falling because of the above quote. Next year's team will not be like this year's team for sure but Mulkey's record shows she knows how to use whatever talent is available.
Brownbw
Polarbear really enjoyed your take. You may be right for option 4 but i am thinking oliver will step up. Although she has been a little inconsistent , she has only had the kansas game where i thought she played poorly. Mulkey will put together another championship (big 12) how they jell will determine how far we go in NCAA playoffs.
2023 ADOPT-A-BEAR
KADEN SIERACKI #74
6’8’’ 315 RF WOODLANDS
Big boy is going to put some hurt on big 12 foes
setshot
South Carolina and, to a lesser degree Kansas State, gave us a taste of what next year may be like without Cox, whose place will be taken by a frosh player who sat out her junior year of high school. Egbo and Smith are talented, but without the size that Baylor has been accustomed to in the past, something that was often remarked on by our opponents.

Add in the fact that both Smith and Egbo tend to be a bit foul-prone, and it makes the addition of Gusters even more important. I would not be surprised to see Mulkey join Scoitt Drew in scanning the list of potential transfers in search of size for the front line, and in her case a talented point guard, as well.
hitmanmw
Just to clarify, when I said I was "concerned" about next year's team, my "concern" was that we might not be a solid Final Four contender, not that we won't be good and probably favorite to win the Big 12. Yes, we are quite spoiled. With the loss of Morris and the break-up of the Fab Five, our pipeline at guard took a pretty big hit. With us possibly being less dominate in the low post next year, we will need to rely more on the 3-point shot, but I just don't see it with the shooters we currently have.

I personally hope Andrews is the answer but that is probably asking a lot. However, SC seems to be doing just fine starting 3 freshmen. That is pretty shocking...and scary for the future.
BearlyBeloved
Why worry about next year when instead you could worry about the team when Mulkey retires 10 or 12 years from now??

BaylorRocks
hitmanmw said:

Likely starters:
PG?
Moon
DiDi
Smith
Queen

How about you just enjoy this season. THIS team will have a hard enough time making a run in the tournament as it is.

Geez....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.