FWST: HOW DID WACO BECOME THE BASKETBALL CAPITAL OF AMERICA?

1,699 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by T-REX
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?

This is for both MBB & WBB (I'm posting in both forums):

So just how did Waco, Texas, become the college basketball capital of America?
https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/baylor-bears/article239848433.html

WACO

Quick, where is the epicenter of college basketball these days?

Kansas? Quite possibly.

The research triangle in North Carolina? Plausible.

You wouldn't be wrong to think UConn either.

But these days you need to think Texas, and more specifically the outskirts of Baylor's campus.

Waco is becoming the country's college basketball capital. Just ask David Smoak, a local sports talk host and program director of ESPN-Central Texas (1660 AM), who has a first-hand look whenever his station runs a ticket giveaway.

"We can't give them out fast enough," said Smoak, who has been in Waco for the last 10 years. "Sometimes we'll give it to the first caller, or sometimes we'll say, 'Hey, come by the radio station and the first person here gets them.' And, let me tell you, there's almost a car wreck in the parking lot."

That wasn't always the case. Just two months ago, with the football team playing in the Big 12 championship the same day, Dec. 7, the basketball team had to offer free tickets to the men's gameagainst Arizona.

At the time, both teams were ranked as Baylor was No. 18 and Arizona was No. 12. In the weeks since, tickets to the Ferrell Center aren't as easy to come by.

"The interest and the urgency when we mention tickets to the men's or women's games is at a much higher rate than I've ever seen," Smoak said.

It's understandable given how each team is playing right now. Both teams have identical records 20-1 overall, and 9-0 in Big 12 conference games.

The men's team is No. 1 in the country under Scott Drew and is riding a program-record 19-game winning streak after knocking off Kansas State on Monday night. The Bears had an impressive 68-52 victory over TCU on Saturday, and strengthened their hold on the top spot in this week's AP poll by securing 49 first-place votes from the 65-member media panel that votes on it.

Among Baylor's more notable wins include back-to-back road victories over ranked teams in Texas Tech and Kansas, as well as an impressive 11-point victory at Florida in the Big 12/SEC Challenge.

The women's team, led by coach Kim Mulkey, has been just as impressive as the reigning national champions. The Lady Bears are No. 1 in the coaches poll and No. 2 in the AP poll. They rolled to a 97-44 victory over Kansas on Wednesday night, and also ended UConn's 98-game home winning streak last month with a dominant 74-58 victory at the XL Center in Hartford.

"To me, if you look at what they both do and why they win sure they're talented, sure they've got great coaching but they both play extraordinary defense," Smoak said. "That can travel and that can also help get the fans lit up here at home."

HOSTILE ENVIRONMENT

The Ferrell Center isn't one of college basketball's famed arenas such as Kansas' Allen Fieldhouse or Duke's Cameron Indoor Stadium. But the environment is becoming more hostile.

Saturday served as an example with the 8,830 fans on hand getting involved throughout the game. After TCU had pulled to within six, down 51-45 with 8:53 left, the crowd erupted when Baylor came out of a timeout and scored on a dunk by Freddie Gillespie.

TCU got back to within eight, trailing 60-52, with 3:42 left, but didn't score the rest of the way as the Baylor faithful turned it up. That didn't go unnoticed by the Horned Frogs.

"Baylor's never really had a good crowd honestly," TCU senior guard Desmond Bane said. "They had a good crowd today. They're the No. 1 team in the country. I'm glad people are getting out and supporting these guys."

For longtime Baylor fan Travis Carver, it's a great sight. It's hard to find a more passionate supporter of the Bears.

Carver was decked out in Baylor gear for Saturday's game, a day after cheering on the women's team in Austin.

"I never thought I'd see the day where you come to our house to beat [the No. 1 team]," said Carver, a 28-year-old Euless resident who grew up in Waco.

"The traditional quiet Baylor fans? That tide is starting to turn. You see a lot more people coming to games and getting excited and yelling and cheering and heckling. We're making it a home-court advantage."

Baylor has taken advantage by going 10-0 in home games, already matching its home win total from last season when they went 10-8 at Ferrell. The only other Big 12 team with a perfect home record is West Virginia at 11-0.

Baylor returns home and will be looking to win its 20th straight against Oklahoma State on Saturday. Tip-off is set for 5 p.m.

The Bears have averaged 7,717 fans at the Ferrell Center, which has a capacity of 10,284. This year's attendance is almost 1,500 more compared to last season's average of 6,218. For conference games, the average attendance has increased to more than 8,100.

"Today the fans gave us a great boost," Drew said after the game. "At the end of the day, there's so many different things for fans to choose from. By coming, you affect the game. You watch it, which is great, but if you come, you can actually affect it. I truly believe that. We're truly appreciative of the fans that came today."

BEING NO. 1

The Bears have enjoyed the No. 1 ranking for three weeks now, reaching that milestone on Jan. 20. The last and only other time Baylor held the top spot was Jan. 9, 2017.

That was short-lived, though, as Baylor lost by 21 points at West Virginia, 89-68, in its first game as the No. 1 team.

"We were No. 1 for like a day," Carver joked.

But no one is joking this time. Baylor is poised to hold on to the top spot for at least another week. Since becoming the nation's top team, the Bears have won by an average of 10.2 points the last five games.

Drew dismissed the notion that carrying the "No. 1" label could become a burden for teams.

"It's a great honor," Drew said. "A great platform and a great opportunity to share with the nation what Baylor's about. I'm proud of the guys and how they've handled it.

"At the same time, if you're a coach and you're playing against the No. 1 team, do you need to motivate? Absolutely not. Many people don't have a chance to be No. 1, so you're going to get their best game and no motivation is needed.

"It's hard for your team each and every night to have that commitment level. We've been blessed to have that so far."

The men's team has gotten it done on the defensive end throughout the season. The Bears have held five high-major opponents to season-low scoring totals in Arizona (58), Butler (52), Texas (44), Texas Tech (52) and Kansas (55). TCU's 52 points on Saturday were its second-fewest of the season.

That defensive mentality helps mask any offensive struggles in a given game, such as standout guard Jared Butler being held scoreless in the first half against TCU.

Plus, this is a team that relishes having impact players seemingly come out of nowhere. Gillespie played at Division III Carleton College (Minn.) before joining the program as a walk-on transfer, and junior guard MaCio Teague started his playing days at UNC Asheville.

"It's something we mention probably every single day," Gillespie said. "We have guys that transferred, came from JUCO I came from D-3 guys that may have been overlooked.

"So we pride ourselves on working hard and doing the work that other people may think that they're too good for. That's what we pride ourselves on doing."

COLLECTIVE EFFORT

This isn't the first time Baylor has boasted successful basketball programs.

Mulkey and the women's squad are the reigning national champions, plus they've won the title in 2005 and 2012. Drew and the men have reached the NCAA Tournament eight times, including runs to the Elite Eight in 2010 and 2012.

But to have both as highly ranked and winning at the rate they are is unprecedented for Baylor.

"We've had good teams in the past and the women have been consistently good," said John Morris, who is in his 33rd season as "Voice of the Bears." "But to have them both at this level at the same time is pretty wild."

Morris pointed to the successes of other programs as building to this overall sports craze in Waco.

The football team reached the Big 12 championship and played in the Sugar Bowl. Even though coach Matt Rhule bolted for the Carolina Panthers afterward, Baylor made a splash by hiring LSU defensive coordinator Dave Aranda and retaining popular assistant Joey McGuire.

The volleyball team earned the No. 1 ranking and reached the Final Four for the first time in program history.

The basketball teams have simply continued to build off that buzz and have become the talk of the town.

"Waco is really excited about it," Morris said. "Not just Baylor fans, but you can feel it all around Waco. It's a big deal when your men are No. 1 and your women are No. 2. It helps with crowds.

"We're hoping to get really good crowds at these Saturday home games and keep it going."

Every week seems like a big week nowadays for the basketball programs. And it's something that only seems to grow each night.

Baylor great Ekpe Udoh ranked among the more notable fans on hand for the men's game against TCU on Saturday. Drew made sure to bring Udoh into his post-game news conference, something that was welcomed to all involved.

After all, everyone has bought into the basketball buzz.

"We're proud of this bunch," said Udoh, who played at Baylor for the 2009-10 season and was then the sixth overall pick in the 2010 NBA Draft.

"Just getting those guys in who are hungry, who may not have names but are making a name for themselves as a group."

Waco has taken notice.

BAYLOR'S HOME ATTENDANCE

Men's basketball attendance at the Ferrell Center last five years

2019-20: 7,717 (10-0 at home)

2018-19: 6,218 (10-8 at home)

2017-18: 6,140 (8-10 at home)

2016-17: 6,812 (12-6 at home)

2015-16: 6,919 (10-8 at home)

2014-15: 6,650 (11-7 at home)
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Heart
Thanks, historian. Enjoyed! I love both Baylor teams
GarlandBear84
The reason is pretty simple...Drew and Mulkey. Don't take them for granted.
historian
Exactly!
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
T-REX
Lol star telegram qouted me. Boy if they only knew my opinions of tbem
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.