South Carolina/UConn 2/10

6,604 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by slimecap
ScottS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Barometer game.
ScottS
And could help us get to #1 in both polls
Wineguy89
No argument here.....will be interesting to see if UConn shows up for this "big game" after going 0-2 vs us and Oregon. Basically the last chance they have at resume building.
MrGolfguy
ScottS said:

Barometer game.
Will there be scalpers?
Eball
This one is going to be fun to watch...South Carolina could run them out of the gym at home...or they could play tight and have Boston get in foul trouble..and it could be a game. UCONN guards need to dominate...they need to hit some threes...and their big girl needs to play big for once in a big game.

I have to go with South Carolina at home but I think it could be closer that UCONN's losses to Oregon and us....

I want to see how the three freshman starters play for USC...

slimecap
Wineguy89 said:

No argument here.....will be interesting to see if UConn shows up for this "big game" after going 0-2 vs us and Oregon. Basically the last chance they have at resume building.
AP Top 25
Feb 10, 2020

1. South Carolina (27)
2. Baylor (3)
3. Oregon
4. NC State
5. UConn
Big Bear
USC with ease, big. And I hope I am completely incorrect.
bearbone11
I've got a hunch that UConn is due for a real "UConn" game, and South Carolina with all their freshmen are a prime candidate to go down. Just a feeling, it could just as easily go the way of the Baylor and Oregon games.
R11
Eball
I think I messed this up in some other posts as well but to be clear South Carolina starts three freshman...they have a sophomore who plays more minutes and more effectively than one of the freshman starters so they do have a good player off the bench. Now Boston is big and if she stays out of foul trouble she is a load to handle...the other two sophomores are good prospects and likely fine athletes...but you look at their assist/TO ratio and shooting % they both play like freshman. Both shoot under 40% from the field and both are TO prone.

The SR point guard for SC is really good Harris, she really covers up for a lot of sloppy play by the freshmen. Also their undersized post Herbert-Harrigan is a SR and really good as well.

if Boston misses some time or if either SR is not on the CRT you would see a totally different team and one that is likely to be subject to the pressures of a close game.

Just like Taylor at UT, I think if we force fed JO minutes like these two freshman perimeter players for SC and Taylor for UT you would likely see similar STATS...I think our way of starting more experienced players is a better way of ensuring long term success.
Lone Star
Eball said:

This one is going to be fun to watch...South Carolina could run them out of the gym at home...or they could play tight and have Boston get in foul trouble..and it could be a game. UCONN guards need to dominate...they need to hit some threes...and their big girl needs to play big for once in a big game.

I have to go with South Carolina at home but I think it could be closer that UCONN's losses to Oregon and us....

Although Megan Walker was no where to be found in Oregon game, it really is Nelson-Ododa who has not lived up to the hype. Athletic big who seems a little timid right now. I am sure Geno will be scouting for a true big after this year. Maybe hopes to get a grad-transfer at the post position.
ScottS
Will there be a dunk in the game?
Eball
ScottS said:

Yes absolutely!
whitetrash
ScottS said:

Yes,

https://gamecocksonline.com/news/2020/1/1/basketball-alcohol-beverage-sales-at-colonial-life-arena.aspx

Oops, I misread. I thought you asked will there be a drunk at the game.
Eball
Lone Star said:

Eball said:

Although Megan Walker was no where to be found in Oregon game, it really is Nelson-Ododa who has not lived up to the hype. Athletic big who seems a little timid right now. I am sure Geno will be scouting for a true big after this year. Maybe hopes to get a grad-transfer at the post position.
I agree that Nelson-Ododa is the key inside against Boston...Walker is just 6'1" and more of a shooting guard she really is not a big banger inside...UCONN is vulnerable inside unless Ododa plays well.

I read today that Walker a JR was #1 recruit when she came out as was Williams a soph this year....so with Paige Bueckers as the #1 recruit they will have three players next year who were all #1 in their respective recruiting year.

That is some crazy talent on your roster...but they do not have a big or a few bigs to carry the load inside.

I would love to see UCONN with Walker, Williams and Dangerfield expose the freshman perimeter players for SC...if ODODA can just provide some push back against Boston I could see UCONN surprising everyone.
Nguyen One Soon
Both teams very cold to start.
Malbec
Good grief UConn.
fubar
11-2 after one. Jeesh.
Eball
Wow 11-2 end quarter 1. SC holds UCONN to 2 points. UCONN is cold as ice playing scared. Ododo can't hit anything including two missed FTs. SC not much better.
GrizBear
What is wrong with Cristyn Williams? She has not been good.
Lone Star
Wow! UConn looks, do I dare say.......ordinary?
Malbec
Lone Star said:

Wow! UConn looks, do I dare say.......ordinary?
Ordinary would be a step up.
geewago
GrizBear said:

What is wrong with Cristyn Williams? She has not been good.
Nobody is coming through for UConn tonight. As Geno said after they played Baylor, "We just don't have enough, we just don't have enough".
Wineguy89
UConn is what Geno said they were (post game after BU and UO)....this team isn't elite or mature enough to handle teams like this. Not to say at all they won't be back (their incoming class is amazing, and USCe turned it around REALLY quickly), but UConn this year is a borderline Elite 8 team at best.
Richard Reese
(True) Freshman - Bellville, TX
152 carries/791 yards/5.2 YPC/12 touchdowns
11 receptions/80 yards
1 game clinching studly TD vs Kansas
ZERO fumbles

Brett “Big Ballz” Yormark- Commissioner Big 12-16 Conference
One badass new TV contract with more goodies to come
KIA
Is UConn still our biggest win of the year? What's 2nd? Are we going to be prepared for Elite-8 competition?
Eball
UCONN down 13 heading into 4thquarter but playing better will SC tire ?
whitetrash
KIA said:

Is UConn still our biggest win of the year? What's 2nd? Are we going to be prepared for Elite-8 competition?

There are 3 teams that have separated themselves from the rest of the pack: SCar, BU and Oregon. UConn is still very good, they're just a level below the top 3. Thugville separated themselves from the top 3 with their performance last week.

Just remember: only 2 teams in the country have not lost to a team worse than themselves: BU and UConn.
slimecap
Mulder
The Yankees scored 2 points in the first quarter!!!
Oh How the mighty have fallen.
An Objective Fan of The Former Baylor Lady Bears.
bearbone11
If UConn could have just made a layup in the first quarter, they may have made a game out of it. They just aren't close to their usual standard this year. Very strange to see.

Tonight's result not withstanding, I still feel that South Carolina is just a shade below Baylor and Oregon when all are at full strength. I hope we get a chance for a rematch with our full lineup together.
R11
DanaDane
I'm not sure why some of you are so surprised and continue to think UConn is a true contender. They're not and haven't been all year. They have mediocre play in the paint, a very average point guard and awful outside shooting against any team with even a halfway decent defense. Add all of that together with essentially no bench strength and you have a marginal team that, if not based on name alone, would be rated properly around 14th to 18th.
Wineguy89
DanaDane said:

I'm not sure why some of you are so surprised and continue to think UConn is a true contender. They're not and haven't been all year. They have mediocre play in the paint, a very average point guard and awful outside shooting against any team with even a halfway decent defense. Add all of that together with essentially no bench strength and you have a marginal team that, if not based on name alone, would be rated properly around 14th to 18th.

True....like they are SHORT......can I say that? Length challenged? Out side of O and the Eastern European girl....
Richard Reese
(True) Freshman - Bellville, TX
152 carries/791 yards/5.2 YPC/12 touchdowns
11 receptions/80 yards
1 game clinching studly TD vs Kansas
ZERO fumbles

Brett “Big Ballz” Yormark- Commissioner Big 12-16 Conference
One badass new TV contract with more goodies to come
Valkyrie
South Carolina has a full deck of cards and they know how to play them. Was that attendance really 18K?
Eball
DanaDane said:

I agree they are not the top team but they still are a contender...they have lost to the top three teams in the Nation. If they get it together and figure out who their fifth starter is and the schedule and injuries break right they could win it all still. They certainly are not the favorite nor are they likely but they have a puncher's chance.
Eball
tremendous home CRT advantage and their PG maybe the best player in the Nation right now or at least playing like it....I just don't think they will stand up to push back from a top team...those three freshmen will play like freshmen.
HoustonBear15
UConn is just not scary anymore.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.