Alexis Jones to WNBA Atlanta

2,212 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by DFW Bill
slimecap
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Feb 18, 2020

"The Atlanta Dream have claimed guard Alexis Jones off waivers, the team announced Tuesday.

Jones appeared in 20 games for the Los Angeles Sparks last season, where she averaged 4.0 points and 1.8 assists in 12.2 minutes per game. She saw her career-best performance on August 20, 2019 against Minnesota, where she put up a career-high 15 points and pulled down two rebounds.

Traded to the Sparks prior to the 2019 season, Jones played her first two seasons with the Minnesota Lynx, where she earned a WNBA Championship ring in 2017. She was drafted 12th overall by the Lynx in the 2017 WNBA Draft out of Baylor and played 55 games for Minnesota.

At Baylor, Jones helped lead the Lady Bears to a pair of Big 12 Championships and back-to-back NCAA Elite Eight appearances. She was a two-time All-Big 12 first team selection and just the second player in Baylor history to record a triple-double."

- WNBA Atlanta website
slimecap

#21 Kalani Brown. #4 Kristy Wallace. #30 Alexis Jones.

Alexis Jones & Kalani Brown reunited in Atlanta
geewago
Good move for Atlanta. I think Waco should get a WNBA team and cater to Baylor players.
slimecap
WNBA Atlanta head coach Nicki Collen
Feb 19, 2020

Q: You also claimed Alexis Jones off of waivers. What did you see with that pickup?

A: I did a lot of research on Alexis. Obviously, as someone who was waived, we had a right a first refusal on her and you know, spent a lot of time talking to former teammates, her agent, her. That 48 hours, I did a ton of research, watched every shot she's taken in the WNBA, an analytical dive really, and looked at her threes in terms of her ability to make 3's and what types of 3's she's taken.

And you know, for us right now, in that we're not re-signing Alex Bentley, she provides kind of a combo guard. From a skill perspective, she's got a lot of really good tools and has shown glimpses of it in the (WNBA), but you know, hasn't had a consistency to it or even a consistency to her playing time. The more research I did, I felt like was was low risk and potentially high reward.

- Bria Felicien, Atlanta Journal-Constitution
slimecap
BUVA
Wow...if Kristi ever came back...
Bone Squad
Kristy - now there's a young lady I would love for them to interview and find out what's new with her.
DFW Bill
Kristy Wallace is working for the City of Melbourne and is doing lots of walking and rehab work on her knee. We all pray for her recovery and return to basketball. One of her career goals was to represent Australia at the next Olympics. Great player, wonderful young woman and one of the most popular Lady Bears ever to play.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.