2023's Making Noise

40,698 Views | 165 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BUatbirth
Dcheetah
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How does Sammie look?
BUatbirth
Sammie looked great! Scored inside, outside, and everywhere in between. Thru contact to the rim. Knocked down a couple timely 3s down the stretch in a close game.

First time to get to watch 2022 Ashlon Jackson...she is impressive. VERY quick, excellent ball handler. Aggressive thru traffic to the rim. Also knocked down the deep ball.

Fun to finally get to watch live competition, played by some very talented young ladies.
Dcheetah
Thank you for the report. Great.to hear first hand accounts of her play. Can't wait to watch Sammie in the green and gold! How did she look on D?

Ashlon has been a UConn lean but hope that Kim can change her mind if Kim decides Ashlon is the PG she is interested in. Have also read Texas and many others are interested in her. She is a true blue, just like Sammie and Maddie.
BUatbirth
A bunch of you have far more expertise than I do. All these games are "on demand" thru the web site I posted.

I'll give it a shot. Good. I would have liked to see tighter D (more aggressive?). Sagging, running out to defend. Got out late to the 3 shot a couple of times.
Dcheetah
Thank you for.your opinions. I appreciate them. FYI - I am still at work - just check in intermittently.
Red Bear
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Hope y'all were just listening to Jason King on SicEm365 Radio as he was at the tournament and coverage coming.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Dcheetah said:

Do you know why?
Family decision
GarlandBear84
Yep, he said he interviewed Sammie and will have something up soon.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Top of the page
Red Bear
2023 Jada Williams officially offered played with Sammie and Maddie at BS30 and Sammie and her played together in Sweden with BS30. Teammate of Maryam.

BaylorBearWBBFan
BUatbirth
Go Maddie!

BaylorBearWBBFan
Baylor has reached out to 6-6 center Aalyah Del Rosario:
https://nychoops.rivals.com/news/girls-bronx-center-s-offers-are-zooming
Adriacus Peratuun
BaylorBearWBBFan said:

Baylor has reached out to 6-6 center Aalyah Del Rosario:
https://nychoops.rivals.com/news/girls-bronx-center-s-offers-are-zooming
Born in Texas. Note that interesting factoid.
Dcheetah
Very interesting and hope she wants to come back this way.as long as it is not further south.
GoldenBear
Interesting to note that on Hoopgurlz 2022 list, DeSoto H S has 3 players in the top 57.

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2022
BUatbirth
For those of you who are starved for live sports, that isn't Pro... Premierbasketballtournaments.com is having a huge girls club BB event Aug 22/23 in Mansfield, Tx. It's 'The Prime Event' tournament. Teams from all over the country are registered. SA Finest with BU commit Sammie Wagner & her teammate, 2022 target Ashlon Jackson, are entered. I believe Pro Skills 16U with Maddie Cox also. All the teams are listed...I'm sure some on here can point to teams, and who's on them, to pay attention to!
The great thing about this tournament is that ALL games are live streamed or on demand at Athletevisionsports.com/LiveStreaming/. It's $10 per day. I tried it out, and it's as advertised, good quality highdef cameras.

Jacques Strap
BUatbirth said:

For those of you who are starved for live sports, that isn't Pro... Premierbasketballtournaments.com is having a huge girls club BB event Aug 22/23 in Mansfield, Tx. It's 'The Prime Event' tournament. Teams from all over the country are registered. SA Finest with BU commit Sammie Wagner & her teammate, 2022 target Ashlon Jackson, are entered. I believe Pro Skills 16U with Maddie Cox also. All the teams are listed...I'm sure some on here can point to teams, and who's on them, to pay attention to!
The great thing about this tournament is that ALL games are live streamed or on demand at Athletevisionsports.com/LiveStreaming/. It's $10 per day. I tried it out, and it's as advertised, good quality highdef cameras.

+1 Thanks for posting. The fact all these tournaments are being played gives me hope the Big 12 season will happen.
Red Bear
Next two weekends are the last BIG weekends for AAU girls b-ball before teams go back to their HS teams. CY Fair Elite is sponsoring a tournament this weekend 8/15&16 also at the Mansfield Field House and streaming video Athlete Vision. Sammie Wagner 23 BU Commit and Ashlon Jackson 22 BU offer playing in the 17U Elite Div with SA Finest and Maddie Cox 23 pLaying in 16U Elite Div with ProSkills. Maryam BU 22 commit will be with Missouri Phenom in 17U Elite along Jada Williams 23 Target. This tournament will feature major talent from across the country as multiple Nike EYBL teams coming including Philadelphia Bells, Cal Sparks United and more. Mansfield Fieldhouse
650 U.S. 287 Frontage Rd, Mansfield, TX 76063
BUatbirth
Great girls AAU...thx Red Bear!
BUatbirth
Dcheetah
Her stat line for that game was 20pts,, 9rb, 5assists
blueeyedbear
Dcheetah said:

Her stat line for that game was 20pts,, 9rb, 5assists
OMG... great play and everyone knew she was going to get the ball and still she drove past them and put up the shot !!!
The only question I have for Dcheetah was how many tackles for loss did she have.... she looks like she can play linebacker !@! She has gained a lot of strength since I last saw her play over a year ago. She cant get here soon enough for me !!
WacoKelly83
What high school class is she in? Looks like she's filled out and is starting to look like Rachel Allison or, dare I say, Lauren Cox. Gonna be a heck of a player
Brian Ethridge
Staff
WacoKelly83 said:

What high school class is she in? Looks like she's filled out and is starting to look like Rachel Allison or, dare I say, Lauren Cox. Gonna be a heck of a player
No offense to either of those players, but she's going to do things neither did.

She's got guard handles and range.
Wbbfan29
I agree, I think she more along the lines of a Katie Lou, or Breanna Stewart type. She might even get taller. I hope maddie joins her in 2023.
BUatbirth
Brian Ethridge said:

WacoKelly83 said:

No offense to either of those players, but she's going to do things neither did.

She's got guard handles and range.
Amen to that! This young lady has game from the rim to beyond the 3. Notice the attempted steal on the inbound...a complete whiff as Sammie went behind the back.
Dcheetah
Agreed she will be great for us!

Also missed 2 sacks, 4 TFL, , 1FF and 11 tackles in her stat line!
airforcebear
historian said:

Not that it means anything, but that's the same high school as Trevor Knight, formerly of Oklahoma & Texas A&M. I'm pretty sure we've had some Baylor football players from there as well, but I'm not sure who (& probably other sports as well).
Trevor, son of retired Air Force Col George Knight..who worked for me. We talk frequently, and it is a great family
Heart
BUatbirth said:

I keep replaying this because I love watching it!! Sammie!!
Adriacus Peratuun
Agree with foregoing comments re Wagner's athleticism. She is far quicker than Cox or Allison. She isn't at their level of defensive competitiveness yet. At Wagner's current height of 6'2.5 it is reasonable to project her at 6'4. Wagner looks very different than a year ago having dropped the bad weight. She is lean and looking like a college "body type". If she continues working on her foot speed, quickness, and footwork than she can play the 3 position. Using KL Samuelson as a comparison makes me chuckle. Samuelson may be the worst defender in the WNBA. If she was assigned to guard a folding chair without any help, the folding chair would easily drop 20 on her. She also can't get her own shot routinely.....pure catch and shoot.

Maddie Cox is Lauren 2 but with smoother shooting motion and playing style. Love Lauren's competitiveness, but smooth she is not. If Maddie gets to Lauren's level of aggression, she will be a huge "get". Based upon her current height, reach, etc. I think she could end up at 6'5 and a reach similar to Lauren [6'11].
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Agree with foregoing comments re Wagner's athleticism. She is far quicker than Cox or Allison. She isn't at their level of defensive competitiveness yet. At Wagner's current height of 6'2.5 it is reasonable to project her at 6'4. Wagner looks very different than a year ago having dropped the bad weight. She is lean and looking like a college "body type". If she continues working on her foot speed, quickness, and footwork than she can play the 3 position. Using KL Samuelson as a comparison makes me chuckle. Samuelson may be the worst defender in the WNBA. If she was assigned to guard a folding chair without any help, the folding chair would easily drop 20 on her. She also can't get her own shot routinely.....pure catch and shoot.

Maddie Cox is Lauren 2 but with smoother shooting motion and playing style. Love Lauren's competitiveness, but smooth she is not. If Maddie gets to Lauren's level of aggression, she will be a huge "get". Based upon her current height, reach, etc. I think she could end up at 6'5 and a reach similar to Lauren [6'11].
I agree, but it is always weird to look at her and forget she's a now Sophomore in HS. We're talking about a 14-15 year old having a college body. I mean that in a respectful way, because when we talked to her and her family, she is better off than on the court.
blueeyedbear
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Agree both have major upside yet to develop !! Although probably will have to wait for Kim 101 to reach defensively the same level as their offensive capabilities.
Adriacus height predictions are absolutely spot on.... I can see a 6'4" Sammie and 6'4" - 6'5" Maddie by end 2022. Both have that long femur bone which usually means more height still to grow.

A lot of fans are concerned that fans/media will always be comparing Maddie to Lauren and fear that could be a reason why Maddie would not sign with Baylor.
Have no fear fans Maddie will be a force on her own merits in two years and she has the maturity and family support from Mom & Dad who love Kim.to handle any Lauren comparison and mark my words before she ends her Baylor career people are going to say "Lauren who" !!! That's no slam on Lauren !!! That's how much potential I see in Maddie.
setshot
It would be a major coup to get an early commitment from Maddie, whose friendship with Sammie has been noted here for quite some time, and whose game is complementary to her friend's. That could become one of the remarkable classes in the history of the women's game if they both commit and bring in another elite player or two as complementary players, though we will likely find a star or two in the 2022 class to put out there with them.

In any event, it is fun to contemplate a lineup featuring talent capable of doing what Mulkey likes best to do, and that is play with tenacity and flexibility at both ends of the floor, and using five star talent to accomplish it. Though she has had notable success short of the Final Four with lesser talent, it takes some of that elite talent to win it all in today's game and some of it will have to come off the bench, as we saw in 2019.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.