19-20 Transfer Portal

17,046 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Dcheetah
BaylorBearWBBFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
- Alexis Morris no longer listed on Rutger's roster.
- Former Texas HS star/Duke PG Kyra Lambert has entered the portal as a grad transfer. She was recently granted a sixth year after dealing with multiple knee injuries in her career.
Scout Bear
What a shock.
Hairy Bear
Alexis Morris was such a talented player as a freshman. Her history as a college player after that first year was not the career she had in mind. What a shame!
Dcheetah
Shakira Austin 2018 6"5 center from Maryland is in the portal. Anyone think we will have interest?
Baylor Dad in Va.
Dcheetah said:

Shakira Austin 2018 6"5 center from Maryland is in the portal. Anyone think we will have interest?
Quite a surprise to see this type of talent available in the portal. She is just a sophomore, and probably the best "big" in the Big 10. I have watched her in couple of games the past season. She is still developing. I think she could be a star at Baylor with the coaching she would get and our style of basketball -- i.e. get ii inside for for the sure two points. Unless Kim knows something I don't (and I am only a fan) I think Baylor will be interested.
Lone Star
It is indeed interesting however, I would think we need to tread lightly when we start to get excited over players in the transfer portal. You may end up "trading spaces" with the posts we currently have.
slimecap
Dcheetah said:

Shakira Austin 2018 6"5 center from Maryland is in the portal.
April 09, 2018

"She said she committed to Maryland over programs like UConn, Notre Dame and UCLA due to the Terps' coaching and atmosphere.

Austin is the No. 3-ranked senior in the nation, according to ESPN. She won high school championships as a junior and senior and is a 2018 McDonald's All-American. On Sunday, the 6-foot-5 forward was named MVP of the away team at the 2018 Jordan Brand Classic after finishing with 18 points and 14 rebounds."

https://www.dbknews.com/2018/04/09/maryland-basketball-shakira-austin-recruiting-riverdale/
Baylor Dad in Va.
Lone Star said:

It is indeed interesting however, I would think we need to tread lightly when we start to get excited over players in the transfer portal. You may end up "trading spaces" with the posts we currently have.
A very good point indeed. We have a very talented team as it currently stands and I don't want to lose a single one of ours via the transfer portal. It would be very damaging to bring in players from the transfer portal if it meant we were going to lose some of our current ones.
We have some great players. All of my dreaming was intended to be to get transfers that would supplement and strengthen our team -- not to damage it in any way..
Dcheetah
If she was a good fit, it would allow Hannah a year to redshirt if willing, Shakira could play 4 or 5 like LC did, and give us 2yrs of experienced bigs. If Hannah balked at that, not sure we would try. it. Would definitely like to have at least a good GT big for 1 yr. Not sure we would get more talented than Shakira though.
chorne68
Lady basketball players do not red shirt. Especially high ranked recruits. You are thinking like a football fan.
BU71
Dcheetah said:

If she was a good fit, it would allow Hannah a year to redshirt if willing, Shakira could play 4 or 5 like LC did, and give us 2yrs of experienced bigs. If Hannah balked at that, not sure we would try. it. Would definitely like to have at least a good GT big for 1 yr. Not sure we would get more talented than Shakira though.
We have two talented posts, 6'2" & 6'3", with 2 years of eligibility left. They are known quantities and we have a top rated post coming in next season (hopefully there will be a next season) and as much as I like what we have done with outstanding post players and it would be good to have another however, I trust CKM and company to make the right choices in these matters. That is assuming Shakira is interested in BU. If so it is well worth considering but talent must be balanced with team chemistry when considering transfers. Intriguing yes and we must also consider both sides of the coin.
BUbackerinET
Seems like a very good player, but it appears we were not on her radar coming out of HS, but she did show interest in others: UCONN, Domer, and UCLA - thinking she may wind up landing with one of them
Dcheetah
We do have 2 good Jrs with 2 yrs left but we need better height vs the top teams and so far Queen has not shown the ability to stay on the court consistently without fouling. Nalyssa is not a post for any length of time. Maybe Hannah will be ready to be a solid post first year but I think it is more likely she will take a year to really get her fet under her. I hope I am wrong. Definitely agree maintaining our chemistry is essential. Kim will do her best to keep that. Still hope that can be managed with a taller quality post to add experienced help.
Dcheetah

I read she is leaving Maryland to avoid the center position and wanting to play the 4. Doubt she would want to take a seat behind Nalyssa if that is true. Fun to imagine her splitting time with Nalyssa. Very formidable if it happened.
Baylorkid
I mean she can always slide to the 3 but we already have didi at the 3! She can be like Lauren cox and play the 3 when we had the big line up in
Wbbfan29
Didi wont be here by the time she plays
Baylorkid
I thought the new transfer rule is that when you transfer to your first school you don't have to sit out a year?
Task Force 2015
The new rule is still proposed.The NCAA Council has it on its agenda for the April meeting which I think will occur by video conference.Stand by.I realize the Baylor hearing was delayed.Council meetings can proceed because they are legislative in nature and not like a trial.And all of D-1 is governed by the Council's action.
BaylorBearWBBFan
Four of Auburn's top-6 leading scorers are transferring. Will be interesting to follow HSG, they'll have her and Unique Thompson.
Baylorkid
Unique Thomson is transferring too though
BaylorBearWBBFan
Destiny Slocum is grad transferring from Oregon State.
roadrunner
Wow, this is a very surprising development! Do we have a chance to get her? She has been very productive at OSU.
SMU grad, Baylor women’s basketball enthusiast
Adriacus Peratuun
Don't be surprised to see South Carolina take 1 or 2 grad transfers.

UConn is also in the mix for one key grad transfer and one other notable transfer.

Dcheetah
AP, are we.competing for the same.transfers? Wouldn't be surprised to see one of the 2 TN transfers with USCe.
WacoKelly83
As much as I like her game, I think Slocum ends up at SC. Maybe I'm wrong, just a hunch.
Adriacus Peratuun
Top Grad Transfers generally are looking for two items: chance to compete at higher level to increase draft position and chance to win NC. Clear playing opportunity/fit also a key.

ESPN's Way Too Early Top 5 is South Carolina, Stanford, Miss St., UConn & Baylor.

South Carolina, UConn & Baylor all graduated their starting PG and don't have a returning player that is clearly lined up to take over that spot.

Stanford is not competition. They will never be a grad transfer competitor while it is almost impossible to gain admission into their grad programs.

Miss St. returns all of their rotation players [save 1 combo guard] plus a key redshirting transfer.

South Carolina, UConn & Baylor all have current guard and post needs, all need additional scoring, all could easily take a grad transfer for early playing time at both PG & post. All of them are also NC contenders.

UConn: biggest brand, players love their 5 out motion O, HOF coach, players excel in WNBA, etc.

but bad conference and most question marks with current team.

South Carolina: AA coach [meaningful to some players], hot program, coach played in WNBA and on National Team, clear NC favorite (maybe shouldn't be).

but least prestigious of 3 programs.

Baylor: name program, name coach, WNBA quality D taught, recent history of successful grad transfers at PG.

but O is slower pace than other options and impression that O is post oriented (not correct).

Two high quality grad transfer PGs in portal. Baylor needs to land one. If I had to guess, Baylor & South Carolina each get 1 of the 2. Guessing that UConn gets a big time undergrad transfer. Assuming the One Time Transfer Amendment fails, UConn may be facing another meltdown when their transfer has to sit but transfers at other schools do not.
BuinmyBlood
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Top Grad Transfers generally are looking for two items: chance to compete at higher level to increase draft position and chance to win NC. Clear playing opportunity/fit also a key.

ESPN's Way Too Early Top 5 is South Carolina, Stanford, Miss St., UConn & Baylor.

South Carolina, UConn & Baylor all graduated their starting PG and don't have a returning player that is clearly lined up to take over that spot.

Stanford is not competition. They will never be a grad transfer competitor while it is almost impossible to gain admission into their grad programs.

Miss St. returns all of their rotation players [save 1 combo guard] plus a key redshirting transfer.

South Carolina, UConn & Baylor all have current guard and post needs, all need additional scoring, all could easily take a grad transfer for early playing time at both PG & post. All of them are also NC contenders.

UConn: biggest brand, players love their 5 out motion O, HOF coach, players excel in WNBA, etc.

but bad conference and most question marks with current team.

South Carolina: AA coach [meaningful to some players], hot program, coach played in WNBA and on National Team, clear NC favorite (maybe shouldn't be).

but least prestigious of 3 programs.

Baylor: name program, name coach, WNBA quality D taught, recent history of successful grad transfers at PG.

but O is slower pace than other options and impression that O is post oriented (not correct).

Two high quality grad transfer PGs in portal. Baylor needs to land one. If I had to guess, Baylor & South Carolina each get 1 of the 2. Guessing that UConn gets a big time undergrad transfer. Assuming the One Time Transfer Amendment fails, UConn may be facing another meltdown when their transfer has to sit but transfers at other schools do not.
Just for clarification, which 2 point guards in particular are you referring to as the "high quality" grad transfer possibilities?
Adriacus Peratuun
BuinmyBlood said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

Just for clarification, which 2 point guards in particular are you referring to as the "high quality" grad transfer possibilities?

Slocum and Lambert. Slocum is higher profile, but Lambert has many coaching fans. The 2nd half of this past season shows that Lambert can still play at a high level despite the knee issues. Slocum is clearly the higher regarded transfer [and better O weapon], but these two are well ahead of other options.
BaylorBearWBBFan
South Carolina does have a solid point guard in Destanni Henderson. She was ranked the top-PG overall in the class of 2018, and should be primed to step into a starting spot as a junior.

I'm not very high on Slocum's ability to run an offense, OSU's offense never looked quite as good with Slocum running it as it did in 17-18 when they defeated us (they also had the terrific post player Cox and Brown could not stop), but she can score the ball, and I would love to see what Kim could do with her. Similar to Te'a in that she'll probably be looking for her shot first, and would likely lead the team in FGA next year.

Regardless, she's super talented and it would be great for Andrews to have a year behind/with Slocum.

DFW Bill
Accurate assessment, thanks for posting.
Adriacus Peratuun
BaylorBearWBBFan said:

South Carolina does have a solid point guard in Destanni Henderson. She was ranked the top-PG overall in the class of 2018, and should be primed to step into a starting spot as a junior.

I'm not very high on Slocum's ability to run an offense, OSU's offense never looked quite as good with Slocum running it as it did in 17-18 when they defeated us (they also had the terrific post player Cox and Brown could not stop), but she can score the ball, and I would love to see what Kim could do with her. Similar to Te'a in that she'll probably be looking for her shot first, and would likely lead the team in FGA next year.

Regardless, she's super talented and it would be great for Andrews to have a year behind/with Slocum.

Henderson played a lot of minutes this year [774] and didn't wow me. Shooting % was low [42%], 3 pt. shooting % was average [32%], and assist to turnover ratio was poor [less than 1.5 to 1]. Many of her minutes were in low stress situations [team already with 10+ point lead]. And, equally important, she seemed to have poor footwork/positioning on the defensive end of the court.

But I might be wrong.
Dcheetah
per Raoul: Kyra Lambert - PG. Duke - reporting more than 40 inquiries since entering portal. She is not in a hurry to make a decision.
DanaDane
Jaden Owens will end up as a PG either here, down in Austin or in Fort Worth. Not saying she'll be a starter, just that she'll transfer to one of the 3.
Dcheetah
Alexis Morris now back in the transfer portal.
BUVA
Dcheetah said:

Alexis Morris now back in the transfer portal.

Hope she doesn't come to a Big12 team.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.