Rumblings

5,265 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Malbec
Adriacus Peratuun
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Kyra Lambert [Grad Transfer PG from Duke, Cibolo TX grad] looking at Baylor.

Bridge the gap to Sarah Andrews as starter. Athletic PG who can shoot the 3. Multiple knee surgeries while at Duke. Needs limited minutes. Good choice to split time with freshman. Announced in portal.

6'5 teammate Jade Williams [The Colony, TX] also looking? More of a stretch 4 than post in the lane. No announcement yet. Few hours short of graduating. May be Summer decision.
DFW Bill
I watched Jade play in high school several times. Played for Prestonwood Baptist at that time. Was closer to 6'3"/6'4", may have grown. Has athletic frame with length, smooth lateral movement, showed defensive potential,
I have not followed her in college. Very good student, coachable. Worth visiting with, will check her college numbers.
Dcheetah
Kyra:
https://goduke.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/kyra-lambert/11763

Jade:
https://goduke.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/jade-williams/11768
DFW Bill
McDonalds All American, Top 20 player in 5 rating systems, USA National Team member. Is listed at 6'5" on Duke website. Still slim, build similar to Smith. Started 26 games as a Junior, shot .530 from the field, poor free throw shooter, average rebounder. I liked her in high school as a possible Lady Bear, saw her matched up against Charli Collier in a summer event in Flower Mound, played well against her. Toyelle was there to watch the event. Good thread, I think she would have an interest in Baylor now, close to home, play for Kim. I think most Big 12 schools will have a high level of interest. Has the potential to be a quality rim protector and shot blocker! Has anyone see her play this year at Duke?

We still have six scholarships available this fall.
SABaylorFan
Since Kyra is from the San Antonio area, she may have played against NaLyssa in high school. I wonder if they know each other?
slimecap
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Kyra Lambert [Grad Transfer PG from Duke, Cibolo TX grad]
16 Jan 2014 article prior to Duke commitment
https://www.espn.com/espnw/news-commentary/story/_/id/10303117/kyra-lambert-excelling-junior-varsity-espnw
DanaDane
If Jade decides to transfer, you'll likely find her at TCU.
Adriacus Peratuun
Some more info:

Baylor: "players have really noticed the improvement (in play and in draft position) for Chloe Jackson and Te'a Cooper at Baylor". "If Cooper gets drafted in 1st Round, expect the phone to be ringing often."

Lambert: solid but not spectacular shooter. Good floor general. Not great at dribble penetration [some may be due to Duke's O scheme]. Decent defender but not great ["flashes on D"]. Square peg in round hole at Duke. Game didn't fit schemes. Should blossom in new system. Solid accent piece. Needs limited minutes to be at best.

Williams: can float on perimeter at times. Good but not great rebounder. Melds well with teammates. Not a ball stopper. Willing passer. As her offensive confidence grew, her whole game blossomed. Missed shots can haunt her on other end. Shot blocker but not rim-protector. Duke's Most Improved Player this year [especially 2nd half of season]. Best ball is ahead of her. Needs to get stronger and tougher.

Both Lambert and Williams are great students.

Unspoken issues in Duke's WBB program. Doesn't think such issues relate to these players.

On an unrelated topic, thinks Geno may be close to done [retiring not leaving] at UConn. Serious budget constraints on both BB programs related to massive budget deficits in athletic department.
blueeyedbear
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Some more info:

Baylor: "players have really noticed the improvement (in play and in draft position) for Chloe Jackson and Te'a Cooper at Baylor". "If Cooper gets drafted in 1st Round, expect the phone to be ringing often."

Lambert: solid but not spectacular shooter. Good floor general. Not great at dribble penetration [some may be due to Duke's O scheme]. Decent defender but not great ["flashes on D"]. Square peg in round hole at Duke. Game didn't fit schemes. Should blossom in new system. Solid accent piece. Needs limited minutes to be at best.

Williams: can float on perimeter at times. Good but not great rebounder. Melds well with teammates. Not a ball stopper. Willing passer. As her offensive confidence grew, her whole game blossomed. Missed shots can haunt her on other end. Shot blocker but not rim-protector. Duke's Most Improved Player this year [especially 2nd half of season]. Best ball is ahead of her. Needs to get stronger and tougher.

Both Lambert and Williams are great students.

Unspoken issues in Duke's WBB program. Doesn't think such issues relate to these players.

On an unrelated topic, thinks Geno may be close to done [retiring not leaving] at UConn. Serious budget constraints on both BB programs related to massive budget deficits in athletic department.
Geno ready to move on - there is no budget constraints at UT WBB
Dcheetah
are you saying Geno to Ut?
willtalk
Dcheetah said:

What does Ut even mean? University of Texas? University of Tenn? Utah? come one people just a few extra letters would clear things up. You probably mean Texas but that would just be the most likely guess.
bearbone11
willtalk said:

Dcheetah said:

What does Ut even mean? University of Texas? University of Tenn? Utah? come one people just a few extra letters would clear things up. You probably mean Texas but that would just be the most likely guess.
On a Baylor board, or anything involving the state of Texas, UT will always mean the University of Texas.
R11
Texasjeremy
bearbone11 said:

willtalk said:

Dcheetah said:

On a Baylor board, or anything involving the state of Texas, UT will always mean the University of Texas.
While true, this is also a womens basketball board and Tennessee is a much bigger program than Texas.
Bone Squad
I will never cease to find this confusing.

Longhorns:

Volunteers
BaylorGrad&Dad
After I finished up at BU, I got a job teaching economics and finance at a small Baptist university in western Tennessee. Several students commented that they were using that school as a springboard before transferring to 'UT'. I thought, 'Wow, the University of Texas sure is popular here'. It took me 2 or 3 weeks before I figured out they were talking about the 'other' UT.
Russell Gym
BaylorGrad&Dad said:

After I finished up at BU, I got a job teaching economics and finance at a small Baptist university in western Tennessee. Several students commented that they were using that school as a springboard before transferring to 'UT'. I thought, 'Wow, the University of Texas sure is popular here'. It took me 2 or 3 weeks before I figured out they were talking about the 'other' UT.

Rick Barnes had a similar experience.
Russell Gym
Bone Squad said:

Longhorns:

Volunteers

At least Tennessee has a unique font for its T. The Texas block letter comes straight from a generic Sears catalog.
57Bear
Russell Gym said:

Bone Squad said:

Longhorns:

Volunteers

At least Tennessee has a unique font for its T. The Texas block letter comes straight from a generic Sears catalog.
FYI: The last Sears catalog was published in 1993. Many posters may not know what one is.
Dcheetah
typing on a phone. U Tex will very likely be looking for a new coach, U Tenn just got one.
baylor1984
The cancelling of the tournament will save Karen's job. Texas can't justify firing Karen when they're not going to fire Shaka. She might only get a 1 or 2 year deal but under these circumstances we have now I don't think she gets the axe which 2 weeks ago looked very likely.
Lone Star
baylor1984 said:

The cancelling of the tournament will save Karen's job. Texas can't justify firing Karen when they're not going to fire Shaka. She might only get a 1 or 2 year deal but under these circumstances we have now I don't think she gets the axe which 2 weeks ago looked very likely.
Or, it gives Texas more time to interview and hire a new coach seeing how there is currently no recruiting travel going on and no AAU or NCAA tournaments being played. Haven't heard anything about Texas renewing her contract.
Texasjeremy
baylor1984 said:

I thought her contract was expiring. This might be an opportunity for her to just go away quietly.
gone to Tickfaw
Geno at Austin would make the Big 12 the premier WBB conference in the country and make it a dogfight each year between the two best coaches in WCBB

And if UCONN is broke, Austin is the place you ougtha be...

If I was Geno, I'd ask for the same contract they gave the men's coach...

slimecap
Auriemma turns 66 years old on March 23. He has television broadcasting experience should he elect to retire from active head coaching.
Adriacus Peratuun
Folks: the person that mentioned Auriemma to me was quite adamant that he isn't moving to another program. Retirement [possible broadcasting] was the buzzword [not necessarily now but within foreseeable future]. Didn't discuss deeply but was mentioned that his kids are all living close and [opinion] he would never leave area.

Personally, have a hard time seeing him "not on East Coast" and "in Austin". Severe "square peg meets round hole" situation.

The lack of "rumored" interest [either way] being leaked by [other coaches] agents seems telling. Aston may get one more year. That holding pattern is great since 2022 & 2023 currently appear to be great recruiting classes.
Lone Star
Adriacus Peratuun said:

The lack of "rumored" interest [either way] being leaked by [other coaches] agents seems telling. Aston may get one more year. That holding pattern is great since 2022 & 2023 currently appear to be great recruiting classes.
Agreed Geno isn't going anywhere....

...and we have seen what Karen does with great recruiting classes.
slimecap
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Folks: the person that mentioned Auriemma to me was quite adamant that he isn't moving to another program. Retirement [possible broadcasting] was the buzzword [not necessarily now but within foreseeable future]. Didn't discuss deeply but was mentioned that his kids are all living close and [opinion] he would never leave area.
It would be puzzling if Coach Auriemma would take on a program makeover at this stage of his career:

- Dan Madigan twitter feed, 16 April 2016
SirBearALot
Urinary Track infection color is a burnt yellowlll
slimecap
Adriacus Peratuun said:

6'5 Jade Williams [The Colony, TX]
Malbec
fujobear said:

Geno at Austin would make the Big 12 the premier WBB conference in the country and make it a dogfight each year between the two best coaches in WCBB

And if UCONN is broke, Austin is the place you ougtha be...

If I was Geno, I'd ask for the same contract they gave the men's coach...

You think Geno would rave about how well the fans in Waco treat him if he comes to town wearing a burnt orange tie?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.