Natalie Chou Takes Cheap Shot at Baylor

12,254 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ScottS
TxRainMkr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/story/2020-03-22/ucla-natalie-chou-talks-racism-the-chinese-virus
Bearprof
I'm sorry that those of Asian descent, especially Chinese, are being singled out in any way re: the Coronavirus. However, it's wrong to add BU in her comments. She's been gone for a while and she left not due to racism but what was going to be lack of playing time. She left so good for her, and I wish her well in the future.
Lion82
This is the 2nd pandemic caused by Chinese wet markets. Epidemiologists have
Said for years these markets pose a tremendous threat.

The Chinese government is a bad actor and they own this pandemic. There will be a backlash
Against China and their goods. I think many Americans would Be happy to pay a few extra dollars for American made goods.
WNIT in '23
BaylorBears_254
Where's the cheap shot?
GrizBear
It is the Chinese (or Wuhan) virus but Natalie Chou is an American.

Plus, there are a lot of idiots out there. For crying out loud, someone said Carona beer sales took a hit after this came out. And, toilet paper hoarders? Amazing. Most of us would be willing to shame anyone who gave Natalie a sideways look because of her heritage.
historian
The last time I checked, the shelves were still empty of toilet paper, wipes, hand sanitizer, etc. But that has been a few days. Hopefully, more people will come to their senses and stop creating problems for everyone else.
SSadler
Rainmaker, you're fueling a needless fire.

The "cheap shot" is no where in Natalie's direct quote but in the writer's report.

You're a sad evidence of someone who's loose use of words are counter productive and damaging.

Be better.

WacoKelly83
I didn't read it as a slam against Baylor at all. Statement of fact maybe. Conservative Baylor/Texas/McKinney vs UCLA/SoCal lifestyle. Simple as that for me. Not a slam. IMHO.
ScottS
Slam or no slam, BU got a natty last year and UCLA didn't.
LIB,MR BEARS
Regarding the comparison of Baylor and UCLA, allow me to be sexist rather than xenophobic. It wasn't about what Baylor said or did but about what she THOUGHT Baylor would say or do. As with my experience with a lot of women, it is seldom about what is done and said and usually about what they think.

Tell me I'm wrong, men.
rileyroo
I think most rational people know that calling it the China Virus is wrong. It is race baiting. It doesn't matter if it is UCLA or Baylor. She underestimates Baylor students and graduates.
Mulder
Quote:

Chou also credited her coach, Cori Close, with helping her feel like it was OK to express her feelings about social issues and that people would listen and be receptive to her message. Were she still at Baylor, where she spent her first two college seasons, she probably would have remained silent.

"I would have been afraid of the backlash," Chou said, "or it not being really accepted the way the people at UCLA do."

This comment does not portray Waco and Baylor in a favorable light.
An Objective Fan of The Former Baylor Lady Bears.
historian
It's more a cheap shot at Trump and Texas. She's in LA where, no doubt, a lot of people hate Trump and blame him for everything, however illogical that may be. It's quite possible she got caught up in all that. It's also possible that her political/social views are more to the Left and she doesn't like Texas because this state is more to the Right. Intolerance can go both ways. I probably would feel uncomfortable living in LA or NYC.

As for coronavirus being called the "China virus", that's a red herring. It is quite common for major epidemics to be identified with the place of the first major outbreak (i.e. the Spanish flu 100 years ago, although that was an error). A lot people are just following the party line put out by the propaganda machine of the incompetent, illegitimate Chinese government. Those calling the phrase racist are ignorant or dishonest. Many in the media now accusing Trump of racism for using that phrase used it themselves not too long ago.
Edmond Bear

I thought the whole thing was confusing.

• she says she sees her black teammates experience discrimination at UCLA every day but then says she would not have backlash at UCLA but would at Baylor.
  • she says she feels safe in McKinney wearing a UCLA shirt but pulls her hoodie low so she's not seen and that she is scared to go to the grocery store or walk her dog.
  • she says Chinese are being attacked, which is true...in the Bay area and NY but not around her.

ScottS
Mulder said:

Quote:

Chou also credited her coach, Cori Close, with helping her feel like it was OK to express her feelings about social issues and that people would listen and be receptive to her message. Were she still at Baylor, where she spent her first two college seasons, she probably would have remained silent.

"I would have been afraid of the backlash," Chou said, "or it not being really accepted the way the people at UCLA do."

This comment does not portray Waco and Baylor in a favorable light.

Its an opinion and everyone has one. All I know is Baylor got the natty.
Shippou
All she said in the article is at UCLA she's able to speak up and voice her opinion, whereas at Baylor she wouldn't be able to.

She's not wrong, some of y'all look for anything even slightly askew to your beliefs and act like someone murdered your family in front of you.

It's just words, she's not wrong, those of you who call it the China Virus or Wuhan Flu or whatever are a special breed.
LIB,MR BEARS
Support your assertion that she would not have been able to at BU please
buildabear1
This represents you and exactly what she was afraid of. You and the ones think as you due are the real virus Dan.
blueeyedbear
Shippou said:

All she said in the article is at UCLA she's able to speak up and voice her opinion, whereas at Baylor she wouldn't be able to.

She's not wrong, some of y'all look for anything even slightly askew to your beliefs and act like someone murdered your family in front of you.

It's just words, she's not wrong, those of you who call it the China Virus or Wuhan Flu or whatever are a special breed.
Special breed - Really !! What a sick deranged person you must be. What an ignorant ass hole. Have you not heard of Ebola - named for Ebola Region of Africa where it originated. How about the Spanish Flue name for its point of origin, How about Lime disease name for Lime Connecticut where it originated. I can ID several others but I think the point has been made.
Never seen you post here before - what rock did you craw out from under to post your ignorance.
Better everyone thought you were an idiot then you open your mouth and prove it.
Baylor Dad in Va.

Chou wrote. "Calling it the 'Chinese virus' or anything of that sort creates unnecessary xenophobia for people who look like me. It takes literally no effort to call it by its correct name.

Why in the world would anyone not agree with this?

Argue if you wish but I think you have to be pretty blinded to ignore such insensitive remarks from our stupid president.
Baylor Dad in Va.
SSadler said:

Rainmaker, you're fueling a needless fire.

The "cheap shot" is no where in Natalie's direct quote but in the writer's report.

You're a sad evidence of someone who's loose use of words are counter productive and damaging.

Be better.

Could not have said it better.
blueeyedbear
Baylor Dad in Va. said:

Chou wrote. "Calling it the 'Chinese virus' or anything of that sort creates unnecessary xenophobia for people who look like me. It takes literally no effort to call it by its correct name.

Argue if you wish but I think you have to be pretty blinded to ignore such insensitive remarks from our stupid president.
I do not agree with this at all your just a Trump hater because your either to lazy or to stupid to do your own research instead you parrot CNN, MSNBC, New York Times etc.. You and the liberal medal are the real idiots - Virus's are named for their point of origin - its been that way since the first one was discovered before you were even born.
China has a massive disinformation campaign that useful idiots like you and others who have agreed with what you say swallow hook line and sinker. China sat on this virus for a month before acknowledging to WHO that they had a problem - China silenced doctors from the internet who were warning about the virus. Several were arrested and forced to issue retractions and two died - maybe not from the virus. That's a high price to pay so some idiot in Va. can sit behind a computer and play the phony race card against Trump because your political and personal hate blinds you to the truth.
Now the latest lie peddled by the Chinese is that the virus was planted by US Army !!! Tell me this you intellectual midget - what is in Who Han, China that might have some relevance to this conversation ? - why would the Chinese not want that information to get out ? - You have no idea what I am talking about do you ? - look it up yourself and get informed instead of taking the word of your media liars..
China has been totally irresponsible how they have handled this virus and they have caused the world economy to come to a standstill and many thousands have died because of China !! Those of you who say the virus is the killer not China have your heads buried in the sand - China is the real killer here so
China owns this virus fiasco and I have no problem calling it the China virus, the Who Han virus so that the world never forgets what they are responsible for.
Xenophobia - Just how exactly is Chou not the Xenophobic one - she thinks everyone can tell she is Chinese by how she looks. I dare her to pick out who is Chinese, Korean, Taiwanese, Milesians with 100.0% accuracy.
Chinese are very sensitive people - overly sensitive actually.
I know Nataly well - she is very sensitive as is her mother and that was the underlying problem at BU.
She is sheltered at UCLA - If she got out more in LA she would find Texans are more accommodating then LA
ABC BEAR
I thought she left because she wanted more playing time.....silly me.
Eball
Baylor Dad in Va. said:

You mean the President with 60% approval ratings for the way he is handling the crisis?
geewago
Some day we'll live in a perfect world and there will no longer be any:

ENGLISH Bulldogs
GERMAN Shepherds
POLISH Chickens
MEXICAN Food
CHINESE Food
ITALIAN Food
FRENCH Kissing
REDSKINS Football
INDIANS Baseball
SPANISH Flu
RUSSIAN Roulette
PANAMA Hats
HOLLAND Tulips
BELGIUM Beer
SWISS Banks
CUBAN Cigars
ESKIMO Pies
ROMAN Swords
CANADIAN Clubs
HUNGARIAN Gypsies
JAPANESE Spas
DANISH Rolls
GREEK Alphabets
JEWISH Holidays
ARKANSAS Razorbacks
TEXAS Longhorns
MISSOURI Hillbillies
IDAHO Potatoes

Yes, I long for the day when nothing will be called by the place it originated from, or the person or tribe who invented it. Everything must be given generic names, must not be offensive to anyone concerned and by all means must be politically correct .

Bone Squad
What if we started calling all people, places, and things "smurfs"?

Of course that would be racist against blue people, but who cares about blue people anyway. Savages.
historian
Bone Squad said:

What if we started calling all people, places, and things "smurfs"?

Of course that would be racist against blue people, but who cares about blue people anyway. Savages.
Taylor Young might be offended.

https://twitter.com/baylorathletics/status/1193910167781462016?lang=en
historian
If anyone agrees with the media that the term "Chinese virus" or "Wuhan virus" is racist, here is a montage of media people saying just that:

I wonder how many of these same people are hypocritically now criticizing Trump for telling the truth.
whitetrash
geewago said:

ENGLISH Bulldogs
GERMAN Shepherds
POLISH Chickens
MEXICAN Food
CHINESE Food
ITALIAN Food
FRENCH Kissing
REDSKINS Football
INDIANS Baseball
SPANISH Flu
RUSSIAN Roulette
PANAMA Hats
HOLLAND Tulips
BELGIUM Beer
SWISS Banks
CUBAN Cigars
ESKIMO Pies
ROMAN Swords
CANADIAN Clubs
HUNGARIAN Gypsies
JAPANESE Spas
DANISH Rolls
GREEK Alphabets
JEWISH Holidays
ARKANSAS Razorbacks
TEXAS Longhorns
MISSOURI Hillbillies
IDAHO Potatoes

Yes, I long for the day when nothing will be called by the place it originated from, or the person or tribe who invented it. Everything must be given generic names, must not be offensive to anyone concerned and by all means must be politically correct .

You left off Brazilian Wax....
ABC BEAR
whitetrash said:

geewago said:

ENGLISH Bulldogs
GERMAN Shepherds
POLISH Chickens
MEXICAN Food
CHINESE Food
ITALIAN Food
FRENCH Kissing
REDSKINS Football
INDIANS Baseball
SPANISH Flu
RUSSIAN Roulette
PANAMA Hats
HOLLAND Tulips
BELGIUM Beer
SWISS Banks
CUBAN Cigars
ESKIMO Pies
ROMAN Swords
CANADIAN Clubs
HUNGARIAN Gypsies
JAPANESE Spas
DANISH Rolls
GREEK Alphabets
JEWISH Holidays
ARKANSAS Razorbacks
TEXAS Longhorns
MISSOURI Hillbillies
IDAHO Potatoes

You left off Brazilian Wax....
.....and Spanish Fly. Does anyone even use that stuff anymore?
ABC BEAR
geewago said:

ENGLISH Bulldogs
GERMAN Shepherds
POLISH Chickens
MEXICAN Food
CHINESE Food
ITALIAN Food
FRENCH Kissing
REDSKINS Football
INDIANS Baseball
SPANISH Flu
RUSSIAN Roulette
PANAMA Hats
HOLLAND Tulips
BELGIUM Beer
SWISS Banks
CUBAN Cigars
ESKIMO Pies
ROMAN Swords
CANADIAN Clubs
HUNGARIAN Gypsies
JAPANESE Spas
DANISH Rolls
GREEK Alphabets
JEWISH Holidays
ARKANSAS Razorbacks
TEXAS Longhorns
MISSOURI Hillbillies
IDAHO Potatoes

I'll take Italian Food, French Kissing, Eskimo Pies and Danish Rolls ( I have a Dane right here who is wanting a good roll). You can keep the rest of that stuff.
blueeyedbear
ABC BEAR said:

I thought she left because she wanted more playing time.....silly me.
That is the excuse for the general public consumption - Her mother was upset because she took a comment CKM said after the OSU game and interpreted that statement that CKM was blaming her daughter for the loss.
In China they call that "losing face" - its a big thing in Chinese culture. Once mom was in that mind set - it was over for Natalie @ BU.
To your point about wanting more playing time - If Natalie was intimidated by the signing of the #1 class then she is better off at UCLA. I wish her nothing but the best - but in this instance she is over sensitive, over reacting and under informed
Baylor Dad in Va.
Well I thought I could come here and root for the Baylor Lady's basketball team, which I think is the best in the country. But, alas, that is not to be the case. Instead we have to bash ex-players, and shout down anyone that dares disagree.
I will say goodbye to this tread and let you all go on loving your insensitive oaf of a president..
Fortunately in my state voters vote and think very differently than yours
Eball
Well you started it by calling our President stupid...
Malbec
geewago said:

ENGLISH Bulldogs
GERMAN Shepherds
POLISH Chickens
MEXICAN Food
CHINESE Food
ITALIAN Food
FRENCH Kissing
REDSKINS Football
INDIANS Baseball
SPANISH Flu
RUSSIAN Roulette
PANAMA Hats
HOLLAND Tulips
BELGIUM Beer
SWISS Banks
CUBAN Cigars
ESKIMO Pies
ROMAN Swords
CANADIAN Clubs
HUNGARIAN Gypsies
JAPANESE Spas
DANISH Rolls
GREEK Alphabets
JEWISH Holidays
ARKANSAS Razorbacks
TEXAS Longhorns
MISSOURI Hillbillies
IDAHO Potatoes

Boycott Kraft products!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.