Karen Aston

8,696 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by historian
PhoenixBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any rumors about KA being terminated?
geewago
Saved by the virus.
DFW Bill
You can include Sherri Coale in that group.
SSadler
Coale is more secure than Aston.

Aston hasn't won diddly ______, and is a whiner, not a winner.
Coale hasn't won anything LATELY, but has been a winner (and a media darlin') and thus will survive until a severance/retirement package acceptable to her and OU can be had.

My opinion is, OU does not believe in wbb enough to reinvest. OU seems to be willing to live in the past days of Courtney (backend bulldozer) Paris.
fredbear
Glad they were both saved. UT will eventually start winning based on the odds and their talent. We don't need a great coach going there. But we have the best coach so doesn't matter. SC will move to athletic admin in next few years.
GarlandBear84
UT kept Shaka Smart, so I think they'll keep Aston.
drahthaar
GarlandBear84 said:

UT kept Shaka Smart, so I think they'll keep Aston.
Karen had more success than Shaka, relatively speaking. Both had some tough injuries, especially Shaka. Horn would be compounding their troubles by canning these two in the midst of this current crisis, IMO.
slimecap
March 27, 2020

"Shaka Smart will be back for a sixth season at Texas.

[UT athletic director Chris] Del Conte still has to make a decision on women's basketball coach Karen Aston, whose contract expires this summer. The Longhorns were 19-11 this year in Aston's eighth season. While endorsing Smart, Del Conte offered nothing about Aston's status to the Statesman."

- Chuck Carlton, Austin American-Statesman
ABC BEAR
slimecap said:

March 27, 2020

"Shaka Smart will be back for a sixth season at Texas.

While endorsing Smart, Del Conte offered nothing about Aston's status to the Statesman."

- Chuck Carlton, Austin American-Statesman
Sounds like a ringing endorsement.
74Bear
Shaka at least has a personality.
SirBearALot
As they say "cheaper to keep her"..
SirBearALot
As they say "cheaper to keep her"..
Texasjeremy
I think they may just let her contract expire, if so they won't comment until this summer when it officially expires.
ScottS
What day does it expire?
ScottS
A quick Google says 8-31-2020
Valkyrie
They will need to hire someone sooner than later. Karen gets paid thru the end of her contract either way. It all depends if UT is content to play for 2nd place in the Big12 or try to hire someone to be competitive with BU.
Red Bear
Karen out at UT

ctxbear
She's gone.
Red Bear
jumpinjoe
Making this announcement now gives reputable coaches who want to move up a chance to let Del Conte know they are interested and for him to work through his list of replacements that he has been developing. I bet he has someone in place by the time recruiting opens back up.
Joined BaylorFans in 1999 under username jumpinjoe. Have always been Jumpinjoe. Proud 4 Year Baylor letterman and 1968 graduate and charter member of Quartermiler U, produced school record in 400 IH.
Adriacus Peratuun
Expect to hear some NBA names: Becky Hammon [Spurs] & Niele Ivey [Grizzlies].

If UT strikes out with the super hot names, watch for Mark Campbell [Oregon AHC, previously the Oregon St. AHC]. He is going to be a Super Star head coach. But if Del Conte hires a straight male, look for numerous heads to explode in the greater Austin area.
LIB,MR BEARS
Based on her overall record, it looks like she was let go strictly for her record against Kim.

If that is the case, that is a pretty high bar to set for the new coach coming in.
PartyBear
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Based on her overall record, it looks like she was let go strictly for her record against Kim.

If that is the case, that is a pretty high bar to set for the new coach coming in.
No kidding. She has won about 70% of her games as the Texas HC. I personally kind of liked having someone from Kim's coaching tree as the Texas HC.
bawitdaball
She wasn't let go because she couldn't beat Kim. Likely she is being let go because she is no longer recruiting to the high-level Texas expects, is losing out on the recruiting battles, and hasn't been able to get butts in the seats. She has a reputation for doing less with more and that isn't how the Texas program wants to be seen. I've worked for the university athletic department for years and it wouldn't surprise me if they hire a mid-major up and comer who is younger, hungry, and personable. Neither Gail or Karen had that fire under their belly, and neither of them was super involved in the community. At Texas you have to be part of the community - they need to find someone who wants that and wants to make the program their own. Wouldn't surprise me if they already have a list of three or four that they are interested in. I just feel it won't be the big name, but likely one that is highly respected within the field.
ABC BEAR
I would like to apply. Up front I will need to know the size of the buyout and the approximate date of my firing.
GarlandBear84
I still think they'll get the TCU coach.
Hairy Bear
GarlandBear84 said:

Last time the TCU coach was mentioned, I felt someone else, but today it does seem like the most logical choice. Unless the AD goes back to his David versus Goliath model.
fubar
Maybe Asston can get her old job on Kim's staff back?
bawitdaball
They'll go out of the conference. If they were to go in conference the most logical pick would be Tech's coach. She has coached up and done amazing turning that program around in two years. She still has some work to do, but I feel with the resources she has been given in Lubbock, she has done some amazing work. She's also a likable person, which also helps.
bawitdaball
GarlandBear84 said:

Why would they go after a coach who has yet to make it to the NCAA Tournament? Regardless of what anybody thinks, Texas is better than that. A lot better than that.
ScottS
Gail is available
GarlandBear84
bawitdaball said:

GarlandBear84 said:

Why would they go after a coach who has yet to make it to the NCAA Tournament? Regardless of what anybody thinks, Texas is better than that. A lot better than that.

So a 7-11 B12 record earns the TT coach the UT job?
SirBearALot
Now another new sheriff in town ?
bawitdaball
GarlandBear84 said:

bawitdaball said:

GarlandBear84 said:

So a 7-11 B12 record earns the TT coach the UT job?

Didn't say that. She is the best long term coach from the Bog 12 and will be the first to be hired away from the Big 12. Everyone else is here to stay. And no one from the Big 12 will be the dirtier coach at Texas.
ABC BEAR
Dawn Staley? She is more than a one year wonder and has the ear of every top recruit.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.