Story Poster
Photo by Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports
Baylor Women's Basketball

BREAKING: Baylor WBB adds former McDonald's All American Jaden Owens

April 20, 2020

WACO, Texas – Former UCLA point guard and Plano, Texas, native Jaden Owens signed a National Letter of Intent to play for Baylor University, the Lady Bears announced Monday.

Owens was a highly-touted high school point guard out of Plano West High School, ranking nationally as high as 14th overall and the third-best guard by espnW’s HoopGurlz. The five-star recruit averaged 16.5 points, 4.0 assists 3.3. rebounds and 3.0 steals as a senior at Plano West.

In her freshman season with the Bruins in 2019-20, she averaged 9.6 minutes per contest in 28 games off the bench. She averaged 2.5 points, 1.2 assists and 0.6 steals per contest. Her assists-to-turnover ratio was 1.8:1, and she backed up All-Pac-12 point guard and recent WNBA draft pick Japreece Dean

“I’m excited to welcome Jaden to Baylor University and the Lady Bears basketball team,” said Baylor head coach Kim Mulkey. “Being a young lady from Texas, we are quite aware of the talent she brings to our program. Her experience is an added addition to our backcourt. I’m looking forward to working with her as soon as we can all get back together on campus.”

Current NCAA transfer rules require that Owens serve a year-in residence at Baylor, which makes her eligible for the 2021-22 season with three seasons of eligibility remaining.

Owens played club ball for Cy Fair EYBL. Her high school career produced two All-America selections with both McDonald’s and Jordan Brand selecting her to elite status in the high school ranks. She scored more than 1,700 points in four years on varsity, was named TABC 6A All-State selection as a senior and was her district’s co-Offensive Player of the Year.

Owens comes from a family of ballers with her sisters Devri and Callie each playing college ball. Devri Owens played for Utah and SMU while Callie Owens will be a senior on the North Texas squad in 2020-21.

It marks the third-straight offseason that Baylor has admitted a point guard transfer. Chloe Jackson and Te’a Cooper came as graduate transfers in each of the last two seasons, respectively, for Baylor.

Discussion from...

BREAKING: Baylor WBB adds former McDonald's All American Jaden Owens

8,399 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Dcheetah
Baylorkid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Glad she saw the light and came home to Baylor! Didn't we make her final list coming out of high school but lost to UCLA?
Worley Bear
Why would she not have 3 years of eligibility remaining if she was a 2019-2020 freshman? Has she already redshirted one year? Interesting also that she was on the same high school team as our transfer to UCLA, Natalie Chou, I believe. Trading places so to speak.
jumpinjoe
I'm confused by this... " Current NCAA transfer rules require that Owens serve a year-in residence at Baylor, which makes her eligible for the 2021-22 season with two seasons of eligibility remaining."

If she was a freshman for 2019/2020 season, under the rule five years to play four, (unless she took a red shirt year for 2018/2019,) she would be able to red shirt her transfer year and have three years of eligibility left.

What did the article leave out? Why only two years after sitting out one?
Joined BaylorFans in 1999 under username jumpinjoe. Have always been Jumpinjoe. Proud 4 Year Baylor letterman and 1968 graduate and charter member of Quartermiler U, produced school record in 400 IH.
Baylorkid
I'm pretty sure they forgot to mention one little word additional! When I read that little part I took it as she'll be eligible in 2021-2022 but have 2 additional years after that
Dcheetah
she will have 3 yrs of eligibility whether it starts this year or next.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.