Voepel article: "Returning Longhorns to nation's elite"

3,072 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BiPolarBear
slimecap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Excerpt

"Baylor -- a program that wasn't even relevant during Texas' 1980s glory days -- has become the boss of the Big 12, winning three NCAA titles since 2005. The Lady Bears are coming off their 10th consecutive Big 12 regular-season title.

Futility against Baylor -- a 1-18 record - cost former Texas coach Karen Aston her job despite a 184-83 record, one Elite Eight and three Sweet 16 appearances in eight years. Aston, a former Longhorns assistant, had taken over at Texas the same time, in spring 2012, as Schaefer did at Mississippi State.

Vic Schaefer's success with the Mississippi State Bulldogs made him Texas' first choice when Aston's contract wasn't renewed. He'll be the third person to try to replace Jody Conradt, who went 783-245 from 1976 to 2007 at Texas and embodies the best of times for Longhorns women's basketball.

"We've had our ups, and we've had our downs," said Conradt, who is a special assistant to the athletic director at Texas. "We're sitting in a hotbed of girls' basketball recruiting. The No. 1 challenge is to try to entice them to your university and to keep the momentum going.

"Vic's history of recruiting is extraordinary; he knows this state, he knows the players and I think he will make an immediate impact in terms of the types of recruits he can attract to the program."

Link for entire 23 June 2020 article by Mechelle Voepel
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29349929/vic-schaefer-texas-sized-task-returning-longhorns-nation-elite
DanaDane
There wasn't a lot wrong with Aston's recruiting. She and her staff just couldn't or didn't coach them when she got them there.
bawitdaball
I can confirm that the only reason Aston Is no longer the head chow here is her inability to beat Mulkey. I had a hard token believing it but it has proven true. Not sure Schaffer will do much better. He'll provide better competition, but the Big 12 is so much different and there is no one who competes or demands the level of precision on defense as Mulkey. Thise who have beaten her have normally been a one off and not a consistent threat. She is the best coach in the Bog 12, and if it weren't for jealous or tiredness from the others, she'd win the award every year. Can't wait for her to continue her domination.
SerbinGold
Schaefer is the real deal, plays crazy obsessed defense. He's going to win, and there will be a new focus on Big 12 women's basketball. Finally. Baylor only power in the conference for too long.

Schaefer will motivate Mulkey. She's the toughest competitor in sports, and a tad younger. He's got his hands full.

Just keep bringing in the recruits, BU.

This next five years is gonna be fun.

Texasjeremy
TOP 100 RECRUITS FOR BAYLOR & TEXAS SINCE 2012 (when Aston got to UT)

11. Imani Stafford - Texas
16. Alexis Prince - Baylor
43. Niya Johnson - Baylor
44. Chardonae Fuqua - Baylor
57. Kristina Higgins - Baylor
71. Empress Davenport - Texas

19. Ieshia Small - Baylor
31. Imani Wright - Baylor
52. Nina Davis - Baylor
58. Nekia Jones - Texas
82. Breanna Hayden - Baylor

3. Ariel Atkins - Texas
29. Brooke McCarty - Texas
41. Dekeiya Cohen - Baylor

7. Lashann Higgs - Texas
11. Kalani Brown - Baylor
16. Jordan Hosey - Texas
20. Beatrice Mompremier - Baylor
66. Alexandria Gulley - Baylor
71. Christina Aborowa - Texas
87. Justis Szczepanski-Beavers - Baylor

1. Lauren Cox - Baylor
2. Joyner Holmes - Texas
6. Alecia Sutton - Texas
8. Natalie Chou - Baylor
18. Juicy Landrum - Baylor

3. Rellah Boothe - Texas
4. Chasity Patterson - Texas
19. Didi Richards - Baylor
20. Alexis Morris - Baylor
33. Destiny Littleton - Texas
64. Moon Ursin - Baylor

2. Charli Collier - Texas
3. Aquira DeCosta - Baylor
7. Queen Egbo - Baylor
8. Sedona Prince - Texas
13. NaLyssa Smith - Baylor
20. Honesty Scott-Grayson - Baylor
29. Caitlin Bickle - Baylor
56. Joanne Allen-Taylor - Texas

12. Jordyn Oliver - Baylor
40. Celeste Taylor - Texas

12. Sarah Andrews - Baylor
16. Hannah Gusters - Baylor
86. Ashley Chevalier - Texas
90. DeYona' Gaston - Texas
97. Shae Holle - Texas

2021 (Commits)
7. Aaliyah Moore - Texas
20. Rori Harmon - Texas
24. Maryam Dauda - Baylor
bear67retired
A lot of talent left Baylor....not complaining...just struck by how many sought their fortune elsewhere.
DanaDane
bear67retired said:

A lot of talent left Baylor....not complaining...just struck by how many sought their fortune elsewhere.

But isn't that common in any top 5 program, whether women's or men's basketball? You have players transferring out of UConn every year; previously when they were a power, a school like Tennessee faced the same. After 4 years you've recruited 10-12 young ladies who could were told by everyone as they came at of high school that that they "were the next greatest thing." So, with only 5 spots on the court for starters those one-time top recruits who aren't in those top 5 spots or at least some type of rotation become disillusioned and transfer somewhere they can potentially start.
BluesBear
I believe there is some figure out there that states 1/3 of basketball players transfer during their college career. Regardless- enjoys the times because Km won't coach forever.
historian
I will be happy to see Longhorn WBB improve, not that it was terrible under Aston (pretty good record), so long as they remain winless against the Lady Bears. It will be good for Baylor & the Big 12 to increase the level of competition. Not for one instant, however, do I want to see Baylor domination end or slack off in the slightest. In fact, I would love to see Mulkey continue to dominate at the state & national stage so that she achieves something comparable to what Geno did at UConn.

I'm not saying I expect it, but she is a brilliant coach and still a young woman. I expect she could continue coaching at Baylor for years or as long as she wants to. I hope we have her for a few more national titles.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
BiPolarBear
I don't think those years in the same conference hurt UCONN or Notre Dame.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.