Will the Real Vic Schaefer Please Stand Up...

2,328 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Threebears
Adriacus Peratuun
How long do you want to ignore this user?
exactly how good a coach is Vic Schaefer?

Records with Teaira McCowan: [all at MSU]

28-8 Sweet 16
34-5 Finals
37-2 Finals
33-3 Elite 8

Records w/o Teaira McCowan:

Sam Houston State

11-16
9-18
6-20
10-17
13-14
18-10
13-15

MSU

13-17
22-14 WNIT Quarters
27-7 NCAA 2nd Round
27-6 [2020 postseason cancelled]

Without Teaira McCowan he has never coached a team to a win in the 2nd round of the NCAA Tourney.

Think he is a good coach but the lack of season/postseason production without that one player is eye opening.
BaylorBearWBBFan
He was pretty good at doing "more with less"

The year they beat Baylor, his team was nowhere near as talented, but Baylor gave up jump shot after jump shot to Morgan William and she converted them.

He didn't land a single McDonald's All-American until 2019, and I'm guessing not too many WBB teams have made back to back NCAA title games without a single one in recent memory.

He appears to be a pretty good player developer. McCowan was nowhere near Brown as a freshman, but ended up a higher draft pick and had a more productive rookie season (on a team nowhere near as good).

I assume he'll land higher recruits at UT, so it'll be interesting to see how he does.
BU71
BaylorBearWBBFan said:

He was pretty good at doing "more with less"

The year they beat Baylor, his team was nowhere near as talented, but Baylor gave up jump shot after jump shot to Morgan William and she converted them.

He didn't land a single McDonald's All-American until 2019, and I'm guessing not too many WBB teams have made back to back NCAA title games without a single one in recent memory.

He appears to be a pretty good player developer. McCowan was nowhere near Brown as a freshman, but ended up a higher draft pick and had a more productive rookie season (on a team nowhere near as good).

I assume he'll land higher recruits at UT, so it'll be interesting to see how he does.
Based on what little I have seen from Schaefer's teams I think we can expect to see UT play a high pressure defense.and put lots of pressure on our guards. If Charli Collier plays up to her defensive potential and becomes an eraser this could be very effective. If our guard play and 3 point shooting is where I think it will be it will be a struggle for both sides with BU coming out on top. (Okay, so I'm biased but that's what believe!)
Adriacus Peratuun

The attached shows the defensive FG% [Coach Mulkey's favorite stat] for Mississippi St. last year [first season post-McCowan]. As a whole, it is OK but isn't outstanding. In the 7 losses the defensive FG% is often poor.

This isn't bad Miss St. he inherited, this is "well into his tenure" and a roster comprised solely of his recruits. The "great defensive team" moniker came with a 6'7 shot blocking center [Baylor can identify with that concept]. Can Schaefer recreate those and results without that player?
Adriacus Peratuun

These are the defensive FG% stats for the year prior to McCowan's arrival. Miss St. had solid D efficiency against poor teams but good teams had high offensive efficiency against them.

It is easy to remember the window of success and the nature of that team, but not sure that the career-wide stats support labeling Schaefer as a D wizard.
Adriacus Peratuun

Final example. Even with McCowan [Senior Season] the D wasn't great against top opponents. The stats above are from the 2019 NCAA Tourney Elite 8 game. Oregon shot 54% from the field, 50% from 3.

The very next game against Baylor, same Oregon team shoots 37% from field and 37% from 3. Scores 21 less points.

When Miss St. beat Baylor in the 2017 Tourney it was because of our turnovers. They had 4 turnovers, we had 17. Baylor shot 53.3% from the field. But Miss St had 14 extra shots, shot 50% from 3 [at high volume], and shot 83.3% on FTs as Baylor shot 72.7% (similar volume). Minor change in any of those areas and Baylor wins. Baylor's backcourt had 12 turnovers in that game. 12. Credit pressure D for some of that nonsense, but also recognize the players simply didn't take care of the ball. 12!
Threebears
Most Aggie fans wanted Blair to retire over the last two years so they could rehire Schaefer. At one point, Blair asked for a big raise but was told by the AD, " I thought you were coming in to tell me you were retiring."
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.