Ionescu's WNBA opener

11,029 Views | 104 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BUbackerinET
GarlandBear84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
She made 4-17 shots including 0-8 from three. Oops.
GarlandBear84
BTW Griner is playing her opener on ABC now. Scored their first four points, but quickly picked up two fouls and hit the bench.
BUVA
Te'a Cooper looking good for LA vs Phoenix.
GarlandBear84
Cooper finished with 10 points and 2 assists in 16 minutes as her Sparks blew out Griner and the Mercury 99-75.
geewago
Te'a had a great showing today. 10 points in limited time. Joyner Holmes turned in an average performance today as well. Missing all 4 of her shots including 2 from the 3 point range.
BUVA
GarlandBear84 said:

Cooper finished with 10 points and 2 assists in 16 minutes as her Sparks blew out Griner and the Mercury 99-75.

Wow...I only watched a little while and the teams were staying neck to neck. LA caught on fire!
WacoKelly83
geewago said:

Te'a had a great showing today. 10 points in limited time. Joyner Holmes turned in an average performance today as well. Missing all 4 of her shots including 2 from the 3 point range.

Oh Joyner. Is she ever going to find a coach that just lets her Jack up shots from anywhere? Lol.
SABaylorFan
BUVA said:

GarlandBear84 said:

Wow...I only watched a little while and the teams were staying neck to neck. LA caught on fire!

I watched all of the game except for the last 4 minutes or so. LA was up by 4 at the half but outscored the Mercury 30-8 in the 3rd quarter to break the game open. Te'a also went 1 for 3 from beyond the arc and had 2 steals.

Here's a link to the box score for those interested:

https://www.wnba.com/game/20200725/LASPHO/
Swim
It's going to take all the rookies time to adjust. I think her even more than someone like Cooper because she doesn't have that kind of athleticism.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
GarlandBear84 said:

Her athleticism is going to be her issue as I said on here several times.
Eball
I guess I will just have to count on this board for the info about former Lady Bears...I just have no use for this pro-league and all their political statements and disrespect for our Country...I just am done. No NBA or NFL either. MLB has been a no go for several years now. I will miss them some but not that much....
Wbbfan29
I love that WNBA dedicated their season to Breonna Taylor. I knew her personally so this hits home. I will be watching all season, I will keep you updated.
KajunKarlsdad
Eball said:

I guess I will just have to count on this board for the info about former Lady Bears...I just have no use for this pro-league and all their political statements and disrespect for our Country...I just am done. No NBA or NFL either. MLB has been a no go for several years now. I will miss them some but not that much....

Agreed. More time for golfing, fishing, and shooting. All pro sports are dead to me now.
HoustonBear15
Brian Ethridge said:

GarlandBear84 said:

I thought her athleticism looked fine, had a few good quick moves to the basket. Rebounded really well. She's playing off the ball which is something she'll have to get used to and won't be able to create her shot or dump it down to Hebard. Take away her poor 3-point shooting and she was 4-9 from two point. A lot of her 3-point attempts were wide open, but regardless, it was her first WNBA game- we've seen plenty of players have poor debuts who have gone on to be all-stars.
David Lasseter
First let me state I think Sabrina I is a good player, however contrary to ESPN she did not start womens basketball and despite ESPN acting like she was the second coming of Michael Jordan she never won a National Championship. She will be a decent player but the greatest as ESPN would have you believe she will not be. Sorry just my opinion feel free to blast me but I will take Lauren Cox any day
David
blueeyedbear
Eball said:

I am with you E-Ball !!!
NBA, NFL, MLB sucks up to China's even while slave labor makes their Nikes. Then disrespect the Country and the capitalist's system that has enabled them to become multi millionaires. Want to see what real racism looks like ask the Uighurs, Kazakhs, Uzbeks and Kyrgyz in "re education camps". How about the medical doctors that "disappeared" trying to warn about the virus. Wanna talk about profiling.....I was pulled out of line at the airport and questioned for 4 hours about my "real intentions in coming to Beijing"
Total HYPROCRITS.
Wbbfan29
I think sabrina is a wonderful player and will be with the greats but I can't stand the constant love fest. I won't be surprise if some other rookies do better than her. I still see her using her famous push off move.
Eball
Wbbfan29 said:

I love that WNBA dedicated their season to Breonna Taylor. I knew her personally so this hits home. I will be watching all season, I will keep you updated.
I will look forward to yours and others updates...certainly they can and have done what they want in regards to Taylor...although I don't get it but they have freedom of speech and expression....what I don't get is the disrespect to our Country and the National Anthem not sure why they can't support Taylor without disrespecting our Country or for that matter expressing support for BLM which is political group/with Marxist and violent underpinnings. Once again it just is to political... want to make a statement fine but there are consequences...want to have a league and brand of basketball that people will watch and support perhaps cool it on hacking off a large portion or potential of your fan base.

They don't have to be conservative or liberal or democratic or republican...they just need to be basketball players who compete at a high level and give fans a good product to support.
SSadler
geewago said:

a byline for all 4 years at UT (or at least when playing the Ladybears)

Swim
geewago said:

Joyner Holmes also added 3 rebounds and 3 assists in those 10 minutes. Pretty good if you ask me.
Wbbfan29
Everybody has different opinions and views on different matters. For those who don't agree of with their actions is best to not watch. I'm sure your view won't change their minds or theirs won't change yours. People are just different especially when you come from different back grounds. I believe some of the fans are going to have a hard time time liking our new grad transfer as she is very outspoken about these matters and has a double degree, with one in African American studies. She is going to rub a lot of fans the wrong way. You gain some fans you lose some.. Comes with the territory. People stand up for they believe in and I will leave it at that.

Anyways let's end the political debate because we are here to talk about lady bear and former lady bears.

I REALLY WISH LC COULD HAVE PLAYED.. MCGOWN GAVE VERY LITTLE EFFORT . FEVER LOOKED OUT OF BREATH
RSBear
I do not like seeing political statements being forced on me when I tune in to watch a basketball game. I want to enjoy the beauty and athleticisim of the game. I do not care about skin color or sexual orientation. I am a white male and have a lot of black friends and gay friends but shoving social issues at me from all angles is enough. After this weekend, I will wait for the Lady Bears to take the court and forget about the WNBA.
GarlandBear84
I hear you and don't like it either. I just fast forward thru any stuff I don't want to see while escaping to sports. Don't be surprised when you see college athletes making similar expressions. Griner and Kalani are making plenty of statements.
BUatbirth
I believe everyone here believes in one's right to express their opinion. The rub is How/when/where that opinion is expressed. As it applies to Baylor WBB...I don't think that CKM will allow anyone to be disrespectful in any way. I enjoy the games highlighting causes like the T1D game...how special was that!? Or cancer awareness.
AP had a very thoughtful post as this pertains to our student athletes....here it is...

It seems that part of the "teaching process" of a university would be showing student athletes how to express opinions on difficult topics without being unnecessarily confrontational/controversial. Like, for example, kneeling during pre-game [out of solidarity] but not during the National Anthem [to show respect].

Opinions on tough topics can be expressed in a myriad of ways. Why not teach students the ways that will garner support rather than garner a negative reaction?

Respect and Forthrightness are not mutually exclusive.
HoustonBear15
David Lasseter said:

First let me state I think Sabrina I is a good player, however contrary to ESPN she did not start womens basketball and despite ESPN acting like she was the second coming of Michael Jordan she never won a National Championship. She will be a decent player but the greatest as ESPN would have you believe she will not be. Sorry just my opinion feel free to blast me but I will take Lauren Cox any day
ESPN absolutely loved her but most of it was well-deserved. She was a generational player and did some things that no man or woman had ever accomplished before, and did it in the toughest conference in women's basketball . Yes, her team did not win a championship, but we should be careful as Lady Bears fans using that to measure one's career.
Snuf
Just found the answer to my question regarding Lauren Cox not playing. My bad.
fredbear
Sabrina was a great college player, but not invincible as DD proved shutting her down. She should have to earn her accolades in WNBA like every other Rookie. ESPN is being silly about her. Just adds ridiculous pressure and focus to an unproven player.
Mitch Henessey
I see the American flag worship is not only confined to the football board.
David Lasseter
Sorry then i guess DiDi is also a generational player as she stopped her cold when they played each other. All i am saying is she did not discover womens basketball and she sure was not this generational player and again I would take Lauren Cox over her any day. The worship that ESPN gave her won her the player of the year honor as Lauren was just as instrumental on a great Baylor basketball team. Also she will be good in the pro's but not what she was in college and yes her push off move to get open is excellent.
David
Lone Star
GarlandBear84 said:

No surprise. She is one of those great college players that will not pan out in the pros. Sure would have liked to have seen another DiDi/Ionesceu match up in the FF.
historian
HoustonBear15 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

GarlandBear84 said:

I thought her athleticism looked fine, had a few good quick moves to the basket. Rebounded really well. She's playing off the ball which is something she'll have to get used to and won't be able to create her shot or dump it down to Hebard. Take away her poor 3-point shooting and she was 4-9 from two point. A lot of her 3-point attempts were wide open, but regardless, it was her first WNBA game- we've seen plenty of players have poor debuts who have gone on to be all-stars.

Pretty sad to see someone give free advertising (presumably) to a Marxist organization.
BU71
Lone Star said:

GarlandBear84 said:

No surprise. She is one of those great college players that will not pan out in the pros. Sure would have liked to have seen another DiDi/Ionesceu match up in the FF.
It will be interesting to see how she does at the pro level. After all, are some defenders in the WNBA that are ALMOST as good as Didi.
willtalk
My favorite sport saying it that you are never as good as your best game nor as bad as your worst. Every player has games where they just do not miss as well as games when they cannot buy a basket. I believe Sabrina began to shoot desperation 3pt shots even knowing she was off because Nurse was out and she was attempting to make up the point differential. Even in college, she would not have kept shooting if she was missing. This is not just a defense of Sabrina but every other player who had a bad shooting day in a
game.

I am always amazed when fans make rash evaluations of players based on such a little sample size. With respect to team strength, we should consider if a player or players had an above average or below average day. DD is obviously a really good defender, but Sabrina has had subpar shooting days against other teams as well. There are a lot of factors to consider when evaluating how players do against each other. The defense is a major factor but it is not the only one. Because she shut her down once does not mean she would shut her down again.

I even remember a game when Jordan scored under double figures and no one could really stop him. Sometimes a player is just off. Sometimes we do not know how much of that was defense and how much was it just the player having a bad day. If you don't think that has merit, remember that even the best free-throw shooters will sometimes miss two in a row. Now we know those misses were not the result of defense.
HoustonBear15
David Lasseter said:

Sorry then i guess DiDi is also a generational player as she stopped her cold when they played each other. All i am saying is she did not discover womens basketball and she sure was not this generational player and again I would take Lauren Cox over her any day. The worship that ESPN gave her won her the player of the year honor as Lauren was just as instrumental on a great Baylor basketball team. Also she will be good in the pro's but not what she was in college and yes her push off move to get open is excellent.
But no one is asking us to pick one or the other... they play different positions so it's strange to make that comparison anyways. I understand loyalty to our team, but that doesn't have to come with discredit to what Ionescu accomplished in her college career.

- First player, man or woman, in NCAA history with 2,000 points, 1,000 rebounds, and 1,000 assists.
- NCAA all-leader, man or woman, in triple-doubles with 26 (the previous record was 12)
- NCAA record for triple-doubles in a season with 8, and she did it in back to back seasons

You just can't deny what Ionescu brought to the game. I'm not sure why she receives so much discredit. It's not her fault ESPN made her the poster child. Regardless, her records will be long-standing and we may not see anyone come close to them. That, indeed, is generational.

Will she be a great pro-player? Who knows. But certainly not fair to make any predictions based off of her first ever WNBA game. In a sport, where the athletes are already discredited enough, we should be careful as WBB of contributing to that.
David Lasseter
I am not making predictions just dont buy into the ESPN hyped machine like you do. She is good and yes a great college player so was Lauren so was Kalani so was Britney so was Tamika Catchings, so was Sheryl Swoopes and they never got the ESPN hype Sabrina did and those women won a NCAA Championship. We all have our own opinion you are entitled to yours and I am mine. All I am saying is I hope she is just good so ESPN hype machine fails ...all spring it was poor little Sabrina so what about all the other athletes in womens basketball Lauren and the Baylor ladies going for a repeat and what about the South Carolina team that was playing strong and looked like a championship team...what about all other athletes ..that is all I am saying
David
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.