Sherri Coale is skating on thin ice per OU fans

5,267 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by DFW Bill
DFW Bill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
See OUwomensbb.board.com for details. She may be gone for her lack of empathy and understanding in dealing with her players, serious accusations from both former and current players. Trying to word this carefully.
Adriacus Peratuun
The question OU faces is whether the cost of firing & hiring is worth it when the upside is moving from 9th/10th place to 5th/6th place in annual standings.
boatergal
OU has way too big of a sports tradition to continue with such mediocrity if not downright poor play...change has got to be coming. Coales has lost her enthusiasm for coaching and developing players.
GarlandBear84
I have assumed for the last few years she has knowledge of some bad stuff on higher ups at OU, so they're afraid to fire her.
Adriacus Peratuun
Own property in OK, visit often, have many friends. You would be shocked (or not) at how little anyone cares about women's sports. Even the women don't care. Sooner football. Other. There are a handful of fans for every other sport but not many. Other sports got some fans when FB was bad. Once FB got good again....bye.
DFW Bill
The current problem has nothing to do with wins and loses. It's supposedly her comments, attitude and empathy towards black players, so far 11 current and former players have called her out.
GarlandBear84
Is my perception wrong that in recent years her roster has been more white than the average team?
Adriacus Peratuun
Bill:

The complaints are an issue like any bad press can be [especially in the current environment].

My point, badly made, is that the program has no financial supporters. Coale is owed $1,100,000 per year for two more years. OU can't afford to swallow that amount [and hire a new coach] absent help. Unless OU has a "for cause" situation, Coale remains. No contract extensions coming.......but that was true before the complaints.

OU and OSU are horrifically mismanaged on the financial side of the formula. They are both currently in a tenuous spot. Every time someone equates OU to UT, I laugh. UT's financial situation is light years ahead of OU.

DFW Bill
AP

As a lawyer having been involved in thousands of employment contracts I know the possibilities and arguments on both sides. One of the problems OU has is Sherri has been continually extended by Joe C, earlier this summer, now through 2024 I believe. OU has serious financial problems, But why continue to extend her. I think in the latest available Oklahoma University IRS Form 990, Sherri made over $1,300,000. In 2017. Mulkey's is just under $2,500,000. from all sources at Baylor for 2017, as shown on the Baylor University Form 990
DFW Bill
GB1984

Your eyes are working fine.
beardoc
"Unless OU has a "for cause" situation,"
See: TTU WBB situation.
Adriacus Peratuun
DFW Bill said:

AP

As a lawyer having been involved in thousands of employment contracts I know the possibilities and arguments on both sides. One of the problems OU has is Sherri has been continually extended by Joe C, earlier this summer, now through 2024 I believe. OU has serious financial problems, But why continue to extend her. I think in the latest available Oklahoma University IRS Form 990, Sherri made over $1,300,000. In 2017. Mulkey's is just under $2,500,000. from all sources at Baylor for 2017, as shown on the Baylor University Form 990
Bill:

I was told [assume they were truthful] that Coale's extension was equipped with a de minimus buyout and was granted solely for the purposes of helping recruiting. She has this year and next at full salary and the 2022-24 extension can be bought out cheaply at any time before the end of next season.

Side Note: Coale is supposedly a favorite of the Austin Family [as in the "Jimmy Austin OU Gold Course" Austins] and OU Regent Michael Cawley [who is connected with the Austin family].

DFW Bill
AP

Sherri also has the strong backing of The Stilettos, an organization made up of 150 professional women, all OU graduates that support women's athletics and a number of them write big checks annually. She does have friends in high places.
fredbear
At 2,500,000 is Kim highest paid? Geno is 2,000,000? Anyone seen a list on this?
DFW Bill
Geno's latest (2018) contract gives him a base of $2,400,000. That goes up every year and the average is $2,650,000. Plus incentives that put him around $3,000,000. now.
fredbear
I bet Kim is in the top 5, if not top 3. Geno's salary Is a burden to a school that is experiencing financial hardship.
fredbear
https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/uconns-athletic-deficit-grows-2m-totals-42m-68331095

That is BEFORE covid crisis.
keysjaws
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Own property in OK, visit often, have many friends. You would be shocked (or not) at how little anyone cares about women's sports. Even the women don't care. Sooner football. Other. There are a handful of fans for every other sport but not many. Other sports got some fans when FB was bad. Once FB got good again....bye.
I too, own land in OK, have family who have lived there (but UT fans, and have OU friends who support Women's sports. Because of Kim and her staff, and the success of Baylors progam, support stays steady.....maybe has peaked, but still has much more potential for growth. OU does not have the overall support of athletics despite continuous successes with gymnastics and softball. After Boren, Gallogly, started to make many cuts in all programs including Athletics which upset the core followers of womens sports. Gallogly is gone...resigned, so who knows how the new President will affect sport's successes, or failures. The diehard Sooner fans are looking forward to a new President.
fredbear
They have a new president
fredbear
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp-oklahoma/college/oklahoma/football/joe-harroz-named-ou-president
Iron Claw
I live in OK, 10 miles from where Sherri grew up and my wife played against her in school (made all-state team with her) and college. I know several big supporters of her program. They have said that she would be coach and leave on her own terms. I expected that to mean she might step into an AD role. That may change now. I don't know if I will talk to them anytime soon about this to gain any insight.

I can't see Sherri letting this take her down. Not sure how this will play out, but she, like most coaches, wouldn't want this to be their legacy.

She has very little support from the community at large now. She might get 2k at games at the most. When she was going to Final 4s, she was filling LNC. She was bringing in UTenn, UConn, etc., and my wife and I would go to see good basketball. Now we only go to watch the Bears.
BearFan33
I always thought Coale was a good but not great coach. The level of play has really been slipping over the 5-10 years and recruiting the same. She seems to be going through the motions.
Scout Bear
DFW Bill said:

See OUwomensbb.board.com for details. She may be gone for her lack of empathy and understanding in dealing with her players, serious accusations from both former and current players. Trying to word this carefully.
Why? Tell it like it is! You're a man! You're over 40! ...50...60...well .... you're quick!
slimecap
Scout Bear said:

you're quick!

Scout Bear
There you go. Slime knows. Are you still out of state or have you returned?
Task Force 2015
Over the years,Sherri had Dales,Paris and D-Rob before 2010.Has there been any OU player at that level since then?
DFW Bill
No, not even close. Her recruiting has gone in the toilet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.