Debbie Polk

2,657 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by etgrowler
Bone Squad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Prayers to her and her family.
DanaDane
That's awful. Prayers for her and her family. Does anyone know the approximate time period she played? I've followed the Lady Bears since the mid-90s and don't recall that name.
Bone Squad
"Debbie Polk (1980-82): A nominee for the Wade Trophy as a senior, Polk ranks second in school history with a 21.1 scoring average. She's the only Baylor player to score 40 or more points in a game twice, and holds the single-game record for steals with 12 against Texas Tech in January of 1981."

https://wacotrib.com/blogs/bear_blog/bu-women-s-hoops-dream-team/article_ad17439c-a127-5a86-88bb-4c07a9a1cc04.html
fubar
I remember well watching her when I was at BU (1980 - 84). Cannot name a single other Lady Bear from those days.

Sorry to hear of her passing.
geewago
Debbie Polk came here before I got interested in Baylor womens basketball. I watched a lot of HS & JC back then and it wasn't until Danielle Crockrum was recruited to BU that I got interested in the Lady Bears because I had seen her play in some of the tournament games in Houston.

I may be dreaming here but I would almost swear that I went to a tourney one time down in Victoria and I saw Debbie play there. Seems to me like she was from a school not very far from Victoria, like maybe Port Lavaca. or Palcious or Peaster or some town that started with a P. Help me out here old timers, didn't she play HS ball down on the coast somewhere?
IslandBear
You were on the right track. Palacios High School.. RIP Debbie.
Chibears2
https://baycitytribune.com/obituaries/article_71c41688-f9cc-11ea-9ff9-7f5a498ec6a5.html

Link to nice obituary write up from The Bay City Tribune. I was there during this time and our service sorority had supporting women athletes as one of our projects. Made goody bags, made signs, attended the games. She was really good. RIP Lady Bear. (Back then, they were the Bearettes...)
etgrowler
Jackie Valentine was probably the best player other than Polk in those years. They were both great players. Jackie Reiter and Sharon Kelly were close to that time too. Enjoyed a lot of lady bear games my freshman year!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.