Apparently Mulkey is Unhappy with Something....

2,826 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by fredbear
Adriacus Peratuun
How long do you want to ignore this user?
as she is basically starting the bench in the first game.

Practice habits? Classroom issues?

She does know how to get players' attention quickly.
DanaDane
This team is gonna miss Lauren Cox's leadership as much, if not more, than her basketball skills. I said it last Spring and I'll keep repeating it without mentioning specific names -- several of the high profile players are great players, but score very low in the leadership department. That void, along with lack of a proven big center and PG, will be the hinderance that keeps us from advancing beyond the Sweet 16 unless corrected at some point over the season.
Baylorkid
The obvious leader for this team is didi Richards! We go as she goes this year
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Baylorkid said:

The obvious leader for this team is didi Richards! We go as she goes this year
Agreed. I will say Carrington will bring some as well.
Baylorkid
For sure I've always liked carrington when she was at Stanford
airforcebear
naive question here...but where is the starting lineup posted?
SABaylorFan
Its in the preview article on baylorbears.com:

https://baylorbears.com/news/2020/11/24/womens-basketball-wbb-opens-2020-21-with-central-arkansas-at-home.aspx
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Adriacus Peratuun said:

as she is basically starting the bench in the first game.

Practice habits? Classroom issues?

She does know how to get players' attention quickly.
DiDi replaced by Jordyn
Moon
Trinity
Bickle (Smith)
Smith

Looks like Egbo is the only one not starting that would usually be, unless injured, like Richards.

Carrington likely starts later at the 3, but have not heard anything else.

Now is the time to experiment as well.

Can the 3/4/5 be Smith/Egbo/Gusters?
Valkyrie
Not what most of us expected but, I don't have a problem with that starting lineup. It would probably win the Big12 most years.
Adriacus Peratuun
Thoughts:

When an expected starter appears in "dunking" videos [using term loosely] but doesn't start a game soon thereafter, it is unlikely to be an injury issue [and thus it is something else].

Starter is a misleading term. Maybe "finisher" is better or MPG players. Example: Manu Ginobili rarely started for the SA Spurs but generally played "starter" minutes and finished games. To get scoring off of the bench, Mulkey may start someone in place of Carrington. But expect Carrington to get the Starter minutes and finish tight games.

Richards has averaged the least MPG of Starter perimeter players each of the past 2 years. That is to be expected [energy expended defending best players and related foul issues]. If she now is expected to play more minutes and expend PG energy on offense, the D will have to adapt. Richards can't have the energy/foul issue of guarding small/quick PGs. Fortunately, Ursin is great on those players. Expect those players to overlap minutes to the maximum. That allows Richards to primarily defend the wing [her more natural defensive position] and allows Mulkey to give her time with the easier D assignment [using J. Oliver and Carrington to soak up D minutes on the tougher assignment]. Those changes are needed for Richards to average 33ish minutes per game.

Gusters will have to play when Baylor faces size [South Carolina, Oregon, KSU, etc.]. Will she earn minutes against more equally sized teams?

If Andrews can earn 7ish minutes per game that will be a huge plus. Ursin/Carrington/J. Oliver need to absorb [at least] 80-90 MPG collectively. Andrews provides "minutes flexibility" with every minute she plays. If Gusters isn't ready to go, Richards is going to be faced with spending some minutes defending the 4 [extremely "not ideal"].

Assuming health, no foul trouble, etc........expect Egbo, Smith, Richards, Carrington and Ursin to finish close games [unless J. Oliver makes a huge leap].
Brian Ethridge
Staff
I see Andrews as garnering more minutes as the season goes. Think Jordyn can carry a heavier load, similar to Moon. Carrington coming back from injury will likely be eased in.
fredbear
If my memory serves me well, it is not unusual for her to experiment the first few games. I would not make too much of it.
Chibears2
Also, Queen has always seemed to respond best off the bench. May be a quick few minutes between tip and Queen making an appearance.
Baylorkid
My only reasoning is that with 9 players available she needed someone who is a spark off the bench and Queen is that!
Adriacus Peratuun
Folks:

This isn't experimenting or spark off of the bench..... it is discipline. When a key player that has waited two years to become a "true" [as opposed to situational/health related] starter doesn't start, the Coach is unhappy about something.

Coach will eventually [second half of December against directional schools] experiment with Small Ball and Uber Big lineups. But right now she will be working out her normal substitution patterns/minutes. That means starters start, subs sub [unless someone screws up and gets disciplined].

The only question is what is the discipline: sit out a game [or more], sit out a half, miss a start? Maybe the player wasn't practicing hard. Maybe she missed a study hall. Maybe she missed classes. Something happened.

Fortunately this year's "season start" discipline involves fewer players than last year.
Baylorkid
"I know people really want to know who starts," Mulkey said, "but that doesn't mean a whole lot to me when I've got a team that's relatively different and new. What matters to me is watching them through the course of a game to figure out who needs to be on the floor together."
Baylorkid
I think you're looking way too hard into it!
BUVA
I'm looking forward to seeing Andrews and Gusters in the rotation. Hoping they will get some playing time early to help them adjust to speed of college game before the schedule toughens up.
hitmanmw
Anxious to see how we shoot the ball. Feels like 3-point shooting is going to be a major problem this season.
Baylorkid
I think we'll be fine
blueeyedbear
hitmanmw said:

Anxious to see how we shoot the ball. Feels like 3-point shooting is going to be a major problem this season.
From what I have seen you are in for a pleasant surprise !!!
slimecap

fredbear
Ok AP, you are right.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.