Thoughts from yesterday

2,317 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SirBearALot
geewago
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Iowa St & OU: Was able to watch both of these at the same time. OU on Fox, ISU on espn+. Amazing how the commercials worked out. Didn't miss much of either game. OU look about the same as usual. Houston actually has a decent team IMO. They slowed Robertson down and took the game rather easily. ISU played 3 freshmen almost constantly. Their frosh class is very talented. Not a big tall group though. The frosh made typical mistakes but showed great promise overall. I see them as being just about on the same level as last year as well. Ashley Joens being their obvious go to girl.

TX Tech looked very decent. Coaches daughter, who started, didn't perform very well. Vivian Gray is a god send for them. She will keep them within striking distance in most games. Impressed with their coach.

Texas: Now has a coach and the difference is already showing. He is off the bench and pressing them for 4 full quarters. Unlike the Aston era they played solid the entire game. Collier was benched the first half with fouls but came back super strong in the second and looked awesome. Taylor is an extremely great player and they have a frosh that looked really good as well. They will challenge Baylor this year but especially in years to come. Kim better ramp up the recruiting.

Baylor: Obviously without Queen & Didi on the floor a little sloppiness was expected. Sure a lot of missed shots in the first half. It's so frustrating when they miss the simple layup. Both Olivers & Moon under performed IMO, but I suspect much better from them in the future. Carrington is quite the athlete. Has great moves and a good shot but she too wasn't hitting well. Bickle was very solid. I think we were all pleased with what we saw from Andrews and Gusters. SA is a true PG which we need. Time can only help her improve. Gusters appears ready to come in and give instant relief at any time. Just judging from this first sampling I'd say if we can get everybody healed up and out of the doghouse we should have a great starting five. Right now I'd go with Smith, Queen, Didi, Andrews and Carrington with Moon, Jordon, Gusters and Bickle giving superb help off the bench. After the next game I may change my mind LOL. Did ya'll see how Arkansas handled Oral Roberts? We sure could have used the Friday game for some perfecting before we meet them. That will be a real challenge for this team at this particular time.
historian
Thanks for the reviews.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
geewago
The Crowd: I must admit it looked almost spooky in the FC with so many empty seats. At first I didn't think there were over 600 people there as there were empty spots as big as a boxcar all over the place. But I got to counting the people in some of the sections across the way (Which didn't take long) and then I averaged what those three sections had and multiplied by each tier and evidently there were around 1000 to 1200 actual butts in seats. Which means if the tickets are all sold at least half chose not to show up. Strange.

How about that Thanksgiving traffic on 35 !! I crossed the overpass in Lorena about an hour before I left for the game and it looked like bumper to bumper on both sides from Temple to Waco.
historian
I think the numbers reflect more on the holiday than anything else. If not for COVID, they probably would have been significantly higher but a lot of people probably decided not to bother with all the restrictions AND on a major holiday they wanted to spend with family. And most die hard Baylor fans who want to watch WBB will likely have ESPN+ anyway.

As for IH 35 traffic, I drove a short stretch 150 miles south of Waco (New Braunfels to San Marcos and back) and it wasn't too bad in the middle of the day.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
longtimebear
I was overly surprised with Gusters. In time she will be a dandy. Bickle is a cinch to be a starter. Girl looks confident with a high BB IQ that will help us tremendously. You could see her feisty play last night. All in all I feel this may be the first season in a while where we could look like a program in transition. We probably won't be the dominant team we have been in the past. We'll be good, just not dominant IMO.
airforcebear
geewago said:

The Crowd: I must admit it looked almost spooky in the FC with so many empty seats. At first I didn't think there were over 600 people there as there were empty spots as big as a boxcar all over the place. But I got to counting the people in some of the sections across the way (Which didn't take long) and then I averaged what those three sections had and multiplied by each tier and evidently there were around 1000 to 1200 actual butts in seats. Which means if the tickets are all sold at least half chose not to show up. Strange.

How about that Thanksgiving traffic on 35 !! I crossed the overpass in Lorena about an hour before I left for the game and it looked like bumper to bumper on both sides from Temple to Waco.
Empty seats? Two were mine...got off work in Temple at 5:30, 13 hr day...dragging.. watched it on my phone!! Rarely do I miss the Lady Bears!
bearbone11
geewago said:

I find it funny that apparently half the sold tickets weren't used, because I sold a spare ticket for $40. (I only got $12 for the last football game) There was apparently demand for tickets, but perhaps not enough supply on the secondary market. I encourage anyone who has spare tickets to sell or give them away, so we are as close to a full attendance as possible, especially for UConn and conference games. Usually it doesn't matter, since you can almost always buy tickets at game time, but this year will be different. I really hope that no one gets left out without a ticket while ticket holders are letting their seats go unused.
R11
boatergal
You can also call Ticket Office and they will resale the tickets...but my understanding is there is no refund to original purchaser. I was at the game and agree with 1000-1200 in attendance...& yes it was weird!
uglytobone
My new seats are pretty bad -- nosebleed behind the goal. I noticed both center sections were completely empty, so after the game I asked the usher if moving to those better seats after the half was something we could do in future games. I think she misunderstood my question because she looked at me and my brother, saw we were old pharts and said we should contact the ticket office and try to get something closer.
Aliceinbubbleland
You'd think they would encourage fans to move closer in situations like yours I'll never understand their thinking. Or lack of thought.
SirBearALot
The horns looked good in beating UNT. Collier had 44. They will be better than advertised.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.