ReviewCentral Arkansas Game

1,554 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Baylorkid
Adriacus Peratuun
How long do you want to ignore this user?
After watching parts of the game again, the following items stand out:

Good: team is as athletic as people hoped.
Good: the team is progressing well on defensive fundamentals. Rotations were really good for a first game....obviously there is much room for improvement. Speaking relatively......good for a first game.
Good: team played fast [often too fast]. Playing fast has obviously been a point of emphasis in practice. Lead to several turnovers but also to several buckets. Work on channeling that aggression is next. Team will have to continue to play fast [see later comments].
Good: roles are already becoming apparent.
Good: Smith was really solid from the FT line.

Bad: Other than Smith, the team shot 50% from the FT line. That is terrible. Terrible.
Bad: way too many turnovers. Especially live ball turnovers.
Bad: blind passes.
Bad: players leaving their feet WAY TOO OFTEN and often with no real purpose.
Bad: no way to avoid this topic.......this is a BAD jump shooting team. BAD. 18% from 3. Look at the shot chart.....scoring was primarily point blank range. Opponents will pack the paint if the team doesn't improve its jump shooting.

Smith: stupid fouls. She has to learn not to foul in the backcourt and save fouls. She was really aggressive on O [often too aggressive]. Hopefully having Egbo and Richards back [at some point] will help her play within the system. Again, great at the FT line.
Bickle: good game. Knows and plays within her limits. That said, she has many limits. Helped by size and athleticism of opponent. She can be a useful 4th post to absorb minutes.
T. Oliver: not much playing time in her future.
J. Oliver: flashes of ability but much disappearing. She needs minutes at "not point guard".
Ursin: she is who she is. She will be the same player this year as she was last year. Not seeing a jump.
Andrews: nervous. Not ready for big minutes but has skills. Better defensively than anticipated. Typical freshman......great until the first option fails......she needs to be in the front row of the next video session "Move to 2nd Option and utilize ball reversal".
Gusters: really solid game. Slow on some rotations but generally OK. Great at finishing with off hand. Progression in her fitness. Still has a lot of cardio and strength work in her future. Solid first game.
Carrington: played fast and aggressive. That lead to playing out of control at times. She was impacted by lack of true PG more than most. She needs to be coming off screens not ball handling.

Team was great "playing down hill". Penetration [and often overpenetration] was consistent. Smith was trying to create way too much but understandable. As always, Baylor WBB's half court offense is the last piece of the puzzle. D is 9,478% ahead of the O.

Ball handling by committee......understandable but hate it. We may have installed 5 half court plays. Will be nice
to see Team when even 35% of O is installed. Running the exact same Half court play 5 times in a row is not a recipe for success.

Overall: D looked solid for first game, transition O was good in spurts, half court O was poor. Typical for this team in a first game.
GarlandBear84
Thanks for your detailed analysis. I haven't had time to watch this game and it sounds like it would be frustrating to watch.
DanaDane
Agree with the overwhleming assessment of the OP except for 2 areas:

1. Andrews didn't appear nervous to me. In fact, she appeared the opposite -- confident and aggressive, which is highly unusual for a first game freshman. Both she and Gusters surprised me there. But, I do agree that Andrews displayed the standard freshman "first option only" looks. Gusters was surprisingly agile (at least I was not expecting her to be that agile) for her size and showed signs that Brock will be able to develop her skills quickly. Like any frosh, she's gotta learn how to use her big frame properly under the boards and that will come with time and experience. I also feel like both will perform even better once they have a leader like Didi on the court helping to direct them.

2. Biggest issue with this team looks like it is gonna be as I feared last Spring -- we have limited outside shooting capability. I'll never understand how Mulkey can recruit at the high level she does with 4 and 5 stars, but we never have a couple of really pure outside shooters from the high school ranks the way Iowa State seems to find every year. I know Mulkey's base offense doesn't really require that, but when you get down to that final 16 teams in the country at the end of the year, that is one of those areas that can rear its ugly head and result in a team exiting sooner than expected.

The one area I have to keep an eye on is boxing out. It's the fundamental skill on both ends of the court that every Top 5 team has. Cox was one of the most fundamentally sound players we've had at it, and it was a big key to her overall success. We were horrific at that last night and outside of Didi, I'm not sure we have anyone who knows how. We simply played a shorter squad and used height to get boards. That will work against teams like UCA, but that won't play against good teams like Arkansas or UConn, or when you get down to the Sweet 16 or Elite 8 and you're playing squads with similar skills and similar size.

I was pumped about a lot of positives I saw last night. Every team has areas where they need additional work.
ChapBear
Overall, this team should be very fun to watch. Quicker and a little faster than last year's team. Addressing the shooters. I think we will be able to depend on Carrington, Moon and Trinity. Andrews needs to help us from the 3. Jordan has to be able to hit midrange and threes as well. She hasn't had enough playing time to allow us to see that part of her game. We lost 2 great shooters in Tea and Juicy. Bickel may be our best 3 point shooter. Nylissa needs to add a midrange shot to her game. Strength of the team may be on the inside with Queen, Guthers, Smith and Bickel.
Adriacus Peratuun
DanaDane said:

Agree with the overwhleming assessment of the OP except for 2 areas:

2. Biggest issue with this team looks like it is gonna be as I feared last Spring -- we have limited outside shooting capability. I'll never understand how Mulkey can recruit at the high level she does with 4 and 5 stars, but we never have a couple of really pure outside shooters from the high school ranks the way Iowa State seems to find every year. I know Mulkey's base offense doesn't really require that, but when you get down to that final 16 teams in the country at the end of the year, that is one of those areas that can rear its ugly head and result in a team exiting sooner than expected.
Take a look at the last "bad" comment in the OP. Don't think we disagree on this topic. The team is not very good at making jump shots.
Adriacus Peratuun
ChapBear said:

Overall, this team should be very fun to watch. Quicker and a little faster than last year's team. Addressing the shooters. I think we will be able to depend on Carrington, Moon and Trinity. Andrews needs to help us from the 3. Jordan has to be able to hit midrange and threes as well. She hasn't had enough playing time to allow us to see that part of her game. We lost 2 great shooters in Tea and Juicy. Bickel may be our best 3 point shooter. Nylissa needs to add a midrange shot to her game. Strength of the team may be on the inside with Queen, Guthers, Smith and Bickel.
Depend on Carrington, Moon & Trinity?

Has Trinity ever made a 3 point shot in a game at Baylor? Has she ever scored more than 5 points in a game at Baylor? Not sure?

Moon makes her first shot in a game she is OK. Misses that first shot and she tends to run cold.

Carrington is more scorer than shooter.

Smith has a solid midrange jumpshot.......did you watch the 2019 NC game?

Mulkey is forcing super fast pace because she knows the team isn't a top shooting team.....transition buckets will be the key to winning big games.
Baylorkid
Trinity made a 3 in the Arkansas state game last year. And last year trinity was 5-5 at Kansas for 10 points. She actually has a nice midrange game! Just needs to run more screens for her to take some
Adriacus Peratuun
Baylorkid said:

Trinity made a 3 in the Arkansas state game last year. And last year trinity was 5-5 at Kansas for 10 points. She actually has a nice midrange game! Just needs to run more screens for her to take some
18/19 Season: 13 for 33 [0 three pointers] in a 38 game season.

19/20 Season: 24 for 46 [1 three pointer] in a 30 game season.

There is a valid reason that statisticians don't cherry pick isolated outcomes to support arguments.

Basically 1 bucket every other game for two years doesn't substantiate the original comment.

"I think" or "I believe" are substantially different than data or "she has" statements. I can understand belief without data but not statements of fact that are merely belief. Cherry picking data/outcomes also tends to undermine arguments.

Show me a 5-10 contiguous game data set [preferably against decent competition] and I will believe it.

Baylorkid
That's why she's playing these games and minutes so she can show what she can do. Trinity will be fine. This team will be fine.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.