Forget national champs...

4,884 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by slimecap
chorne68
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We will not win Big 12 playing like this. Shooting terrible. They should not even try to make the three point shots. I do not think we have a good three point shooter on the team.
Baylorkid
I think Bickle is our best 3 point shooter but Kim is using her more inside for some reason! The only time Kim puts her at the 3 is when they go to the big line-up. I think we need to run more plays for Bickle to get wide open 3's
Brian Ethridge
Staff
2nd game, 1st with Richards, 2 returning starters, USF is picked to win the AAC.
Lion82
This continued obsession with the 3 point shot is ridiculous. Every coach in WBB would love to dominate in the paint like Baylor does.
WNIT in '23
Noghri
Lion82 said:

This continued obsession with the 3 point shot is ridiculous. Every coach in WBB would love to dominate in the paint like Baylor does.

But if we have someone that can shoot outside it frees up room in the paint. And we are missing too many point blank looks
Bruingirl
Missing the experience gained from of all the pre-season games that we normally have played by this time of the year. I think we'll gel and be ok. I would like to see Egbo not be so soft when it comes to battling for the ball. She tends to not hang on the ball when challenged and too many times it seems to end up in the hands of the other team instead of being a jump ball.
Can't it just be game time already?
DanaDane
I would hope that we could dominate in the paint against a Southland Conference team and an unranked AAC school. If not, then we'd have a long way to go to even win a conference championship this year unless we were able to supplement with some outside shooting.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
DanaDane said:

I would hope that we could dominate in the paint against a Southland Conference team and an unranked AAC school. If not, then we'd have a long way to go to even win a conference championship this year unless we were able to supplement with some outside shooting.
USF is picked to win the AAC, so they will be ranked at some point.
BUletters
A few things to remember. Second game, first road game. Didi still getting into game shape.
South Florida is good and BU beat them by 12 in Waco last year. Still deciding on point guard.
Nalyssa had off game, Queen had game of her life. Trinity looked good and will get better.
No Lauren Cox this year. This team will be OK when shooting gets better.
Kim warned us there might be a slow start.
historian
BUletters said:

A few things to remember. Second game, first road game. Didi still getting into game shape.
South Florida is good and BU beat them by 12 in Waco last year. Still deciding on point guard.
Nalyssa had off game, Queen had game of her life. Trinity looked good and will get better.
No Lauren Cox this year. This team will be OK when shooting gets better.
Kim warned us there might be a slow start.
Baylor beat them by 12 last year but it was a struggle for much of the game. I think it's still available on ESPN+ for those who need a reminder. They are a good team and we were playing on their turf.
Big Bear
This thread is the same song, umpteenth verse.
BU82EX
I know its way too early to make any certain impressions, but the only thing that makes me a little nervous right now after watching the 1st game and the 2nd half of last night is that we seem to have no (and I mean ZERO) outside shooting threat. And I'm not even talking about 3 pointers. I'm talking about mid-range jumpers. Given our first two opponents we haven't really needed it so again, its hard to tell if this is a trend or an anomaly. On most nights we can shoot nothing but layups and win given our opponent and size advantage. I don't have a shot chart from last night but just looking at the play-by-play script this is what it showed. We scored 17 baskets on "layups" and we scored 8 baskets on "jumpers". However, I'm guessing most of these so-called jumpers were inside 5 feet as Queen accounted for 5 of the 8 and Gusters accounted for 1. Only Jordan and Trinity Oliver accounted for the other 2. I know its early, but at some point we are going to have to take and make some shots from beyond 5 feet.
blueeyedbear
BU82EX said:

I know its way too early to make any certain impressions, but the only thing that makes me a little nervous right now after watching the 1st game and the 2nd half of last night is that we seem to have no (and I mean ZERO) outside shooting threat. And I'm not even talking about 3 pointers. I'm talking about mid-range jumpers. Given our first two opponents we haven't really needed it so again, its hard to tell if this is a trend or an anomaly. On most nights we can shoot nothing but layups and win given our opponent and size advantage. I don't have a shot chart from last night but just looking at the play-by-play script this is what it showed. We scored 17 baskets on "layups" and we scored 8 baskets on "jumpers". However, I'm guessing most of these so-called jumpers were inside 5 feet as Queen accounted for 5 of the 8 and Gusters accounted for 1. Only Jordan and Trinity Oliver accounted for the other 2. I know its early, but at some point we are going to have to take and make some shots from beyond 5 feet.
Everyone needs to take a blue pill and relax. The outside shots (3's) and intermediate shots (15' - 20') will come eventually......way to much skill level from our perimeter players for it not to self correct (with individual dedicated practice time of course). I am far more concerned with the missed free throws and missed shots in the paint and especially blown breakaway layups on turnovers !!! That is a concentration and focus issue and it can be an immediate fix. The rest is going to take some time.
I look at the UCF game as an important positive and valuable learning experience that we gutted out a win over a very well coached team, a team that should be ranked in top 20 by finding other ways to win when an important part of our total game was not working.
Its early in a very strange world we live in right now. Lets play the schedule and see how this team finds its own identity. I am very confident that we will be ready come tournament time......I expect a few bumps in the road...certainty more then we are used to but that in the end may turn out to be a good thing.
Shakesbear
Big Bear said:

This thread is the same song, umpteenth verse.
LOL! Don't you know it! At first I thought I was on the football board
Retreat Hell! We just got here! The 2/5
BearFan33
Cox was great at the mid range jumper. I hope we find someone to fill the role.

We have size but no Kalani size.

We know the defense is going to be salty (it always is) but offense can sometimes be our weak point. Kim work your magic.
Baylorkid
BearFan33 said:

We know the defense is going to be salty (it always is) but offense can sometimes be our weak point. Kim work your magic.

Bickle and Gusters can hit the mid range jumpers! Smith can too but she's in a funk right now
HoustonBear15
There's a lot of talk about our 3-point shooting but CKM has given them the green light for a reason. She trusts their shooting ability, it just has to fall into place.
historian
Maybe we should trust Kim. She knows a thing or two about coaching WBB.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
BU71
Baylorkid said:

BearFan33 said:

Bickle and Gusters can hit the mid range jumpers! Smith can too but she's in a funk right now
I think all the preseason acclaim and the pressure to to dominate down low in Cox's absence is effecting Smith. She seems to be pressing, once she settles in a little more I think she will start to dominate.
GarlandBear84
historian said:

Maybe we should trust Kim. She knows a thing or two about coaching WBB.

I don't like that cop out answer which I often see on this board. I love Mulkey as much as anyone, but she doesn't teach any of her players how to shoot. That is natural or learned way before college. IMO in recruiting she consistently prioritizes athleticism and defense over shooting ability and the downside is what we've seen so far this year. It has worked out fine in past years.
historian
It's not a copout. It's a fact. We've had lots of Lady Bears who shot very well. Juicy Landrum even holds an NCAA record for most made 3's in a game. If the shooting isn't perfect 2 games into a new season in the midst of a global pandemic I'm not going to jump to conclusions and blame one of the best coaches in the country. Yes, there is room for improvement but that is normal and I expect we will see plenty of that before conference play begins.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Baylorkid
historian said:

It's not a copout. It's a fact. We've had lots of Lady Bears who shot very well. Juicy Landrum even holds an NCAA record for most made 3's in a game. If the shooting isn't perfect 2 games into a new season in the midst of a global pandemic I'm not going to jump to conclusions and blame one of the best coaches in the country. Yes, there is room for improvement but that is normal and I expect we will see plenty of that before conference play begins.

I agree! In the last decade we have had great outside shooters: odyssey sims, Mackenzie fuller(her senior year), Alexis prince, Alexis Jones, Kristy Wallace, Natalie Chou, Juicy Landrum, and t'ea Cooper!
Baylorkid
I agree! She needs to settle down and take better shots and also pass the ball! You don't always have to shoot the ball the first touch you get!
BearFan33
Baylorkid said:

BearFan33 said:

If I recall... can't Richards hit short jumpers too? Someone will step up, I'm sure. My critique from the past (mainly during Griner's time) is sometimes we get stagnant on offense and it seems to me to be from an obsession to work it in to the bigs. With all that said, I'm confident our elite coaching staff will have us playing top 5 quality by the end of the year.

typo
chorne68
We only have 12 players on our roster when we are able to have fifteen. Two players are not eligible due to transfer. That puts us five players short of what most teams have. Three players graduate this year and we only have one recruit coming in. What is going on? I am not an expert but am just wondering. I realize Kim is probably one of the best coaches in the country. This is not a year to be short handed. It could be even worse next year if we do not pick up a lot of grad transfers.
GarlandBear84
Mulkey had always stayed well below 15 and has said it's because she can't give minutes to more than nine or so in most games and she likes to save flexibility to add transfers. I just don't understand why she didn't press for immediate eligibility for Jaden or tell her to lawyer up. Almost every transfer was declared eligible except her and she had one of the best reasons (moving close to home during the pandemic).
Baylorkid
chorne68 said:

We only have 12 players on our roster when we are able to have fifteen. Two players are not eligible due to transfer. That puts us five players short of what most teams have. Three players graduate this year and we only have one recruit coming in. What is going on? I am not an expert but am just wondering. I realize Kim is probably one of the best coaches in the country. This is not a year to be short handed. It could be even worse next year if we do not pick up a lot of grad transfers.

Didi, moon and carrington have another year if they want it! I think they should stay
bowdedg
Baylorkid said:

chorne68 said:

Didi, moon and carrington have another year if they want it! I think they should stay

I surely hope all 3 come back another year.
Baylorkid
bowdedg said:

Baylorkid said:

chorne68 said:

I surely hope all 3 come back another year.

Me too
chorne68
Kim does not recruit shooters. She recruits big girls and very good athletes. It is time that she starts to recruits some shooters. She can train them to play defense. The Arkansas coach recruits shooters and works with them to play defense. I am certainly not being negative on Kim as I think she is the best coach Baylor has ever had at any sport.
BaylorHistory
chorne68 said:

We will not win Big 12 playing like this. Shooting terrible. They should not even try to make the three point shots. I do not think we have a good three point shooter on the team.
Why can't Mulkey recruit shooters anymore like Drew can???????!!!!

Obviously just kidding and Kim is one of the best in the business, but after all these years of "questions" from WBB fans I had to do it.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Stefano DiMera
Yall act like great outside shooters that are female just fall out of trees.
whitetrash
Stefano DiMera said:

Yall act like great outside shooters that are female just fall out of trees.
If they do, they are more likely to tear an ACL.
BaylorRocks
Dominate the paint, and you dominate NCAA D-I women's basketball. CKM knows this, has proved this, and has leaned on it successfully for a several years now. Good for her.

With that said, free throw and (some) long range accuracy certainly would help compliment owning the paint and make them unbeatable.
slimecap
Brian Ethridge said:

DanaDane said:

I would hope that we could dominate in the paint against a Southland Conference team and an unranked AAC school.
USF is picked to win the AAC, so they will be ranked at some point.
Yes, USF is getting closer. Deficit is only 3 votes.
Dec 7 AP Top 25 poll
... USF received 59 votes
... #25 Gonzaga received 62 votes
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.