Natalie Chou.. 28 points.. career high. !!!

3,834 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Dcheetah
SirBearALot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Would she be a starter if she had stayed a Bear ??
Polarbear
Would have been a Senior last year. Hard to see her starting last year over Didi or Juicy, but my view is she would have been a key contributor off the bench in an 8 player rotation along with Queen and Moon. Along with Juicy and Tea, Natalie would have given us three legitimate, quality threats from the 3 point line; it's a huge advantage to have a 40% shooter from 3 that can play valuable minutes against key matchups when we need to spread the floor. Last year's team was a strong contender to make the Final Four, probably a #1 seed, and Chou would have made them even better.

Currently playing for a Top 10 team in UCLA, Chou is starting and averaging 30 MPG, 11 PPG, and shooting 44% from 3 point range. Did she make a good decision to transfer? Only Natalie may answer that question, because we sometimes forget these are human beings, not just athletes. They are living, breathing young women with a full life, and BB is only one component. We would have been a better team in 2019 and 2020 with her, and she missed out on a National Championship and 2 Conference Championships at Baylor, but I sincerely hope that she is happy about her decision to transfer to UCLA.
GrizBear
The 28 point game happened on January 10 versus Utah. Seems like an important omission from your post.
Baylorkid
Polarbear said:

Would have been a Senior last year. Hard to see her starting last year over Didi or Juicy, but my view is she would have been a key contributor off the bench in an 8 player rotation along with Queen and Moon. Along with Juicy and Tea, Natalie would have given us three legitimate, quality threats from the 3 point line; it's a huge advantage to have a 40% shooter from 3 that can play valuable minutes against key matchups when we need to spread the floor. Last year's team was a strong contender to make the Final Four, probably a #1 seed, and Chou would have made them even better.

Currently playing for a Top 10 team in UCLA, Chou is starting and averaging 30 MPG, 11 PPG, and shooting 44% from 3 point range. Did she make a good decision to transfer? Only Natalie may answer that question, because we sometimes forget these are human beings, not just athletes. They are living, breathing young women with a full life, and BB is only one component. We would have been a better team in 2019 and 2020 with her, and she missed out on a National Championship and 2 Conference Championships at Baylor, but I sincerely hope that she is happy about her decision to transfer to UCLA.

I agree with your post! But I feel like juicy never would've started with Chou was still there though. The only reason juicy started the last couple games of the 2017-2018 season was because Chou hurt her wrist. So if Chou never got injured I still think juicy would've came off the bench and Chou would've still started.
SirBearALot
Interesting and it is what it is ...Juicy was a key contributor for us. Juicy was a good rebounder too !
Steve Sadler
Chou gave us an offensive option of the 3 pt shot, but her lack of footspeed would never have stood up longterm in a KMulkey defense. Juicy gave us the same 3 pt. option AND the quickness to play a KMulkey defense on the perimeter.
4th and Inches
SSadler1 said:

Chou gave us an offensive option of the 3 pt shot, but her lack of footspeed would never have stood up longterm in a KMulkey defense. Juicy gave us the same 3 pt. option AND the quickness to play a KMulkey defense on the perimeter.
correct, great shooters will get passed up for good shooters that are great defenders. Kim is always hunting thise unicorn guards that are all american defender as well as shooters
DanaDane
Why do our fans get all excited when someone from another school has a good game?

She hated it here. She left. Who cares.
longtimebear
Baylorkid said:

Polarbear said:

I agree with your post! But I feel like juicy never would've started with Chou was still there though. The only reason juicy started the last couple games of the 2017-2018 season was because Chou hurt her wrist. So if Chou never got injured I still think juicy would've came off the bench and Chou would've still started.
We will never know, will we?
T-REX
DanaDane said:

Why do our fans get all excited when someone from another school has a good game?

She hated it here. She left. Who cares.
makes no sense. she aint here so she no longer matters. if you leave then see ya down the road
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
BaylorRocks
The Chow's learned quickly that CKM's game plan is feeding the low posts.....not lighting it up from the outside. And that was not aligned with Natalie's wishes/strengths. Nor her mother's wishes (key point). So, she was not being utilized to her full potential. She went somewhere where she get ample shot attempts. Plus, her family values a strong education above sports.....and UCLA is an outstanding educational institution that (yes green-n-golds) outpaces Baylor in that regard.

Natalie's plan all along has been to play professionally in China after her college days, following her parent's legacies, and that's exactly what will happen.

Wish her well. Baylor would be significantly better than they are today if she had stayed, but going to UCLA was a great move on her (er her family's) part.

Sic'em
keysjaws
Natalie had to do what she and her family thought was best for her......and we'll never know how it might have turned out had she stayed at Baylor!
bugwub78
bugwub78
Agree with all zunooreo posted except the part about the Lady Bears being "significantly better with her" this year. Just don't see it. Watched her the other night and she looked surprisingly similar to the Natalie that played here: not much speed, slow up the court, slow to get off her shot. And who has the natty ring??
ScottS
She watched us win a natty on TV
StatMan
Natalie Chou fit better at UCLA than at Baylor. Solid shooter, but average defender at best.
whitetrash
Last night in UCLA's 96-51 blowout of USC:

3 points on 1-6 shooting in 26 minutes.
BaylorRocks
whitetrash said:

Last night in UCLA's 96-51 blowout of USC:

3 points on 1-6 shooting in 26 minutes.
Last night Jerad Butler:
5 points on 3-16 shooting in 29 minutes.

So what's your point?
Dcheetah
One is getting over covid and the other is not .
BaylorRocks
Dcheetah said:

One is getting over covid and the other is not .
Butler did not have COVID. In fact, no one knows who did (allegedly)...or did not actually have it. Neither the school or conference released those details.

Jared was quoted in the media last week as saying:
"Seeing everybody else play, I kind of feel like I've been missing out," Butler said Monday during a Zoom call from the campus in Waco, Texas. "What do you call it when your parents punish you and you can't go outside and play with your friends? That's what it's been feeling like."

That says it all for me.......

Sic'em
Dcheetah
Baylor will not announce individual players. 8 players had it. That quote could be interrpreted either way. His play is not near the same since the pause.
BaylorRocks
Dcheetah said:

Baylor will not announce individual players. 8 players had it. That quote could be interrpreted either way. His play is not near the same since the pause.
Sure Sparky.
Sure they did....
Dcheetah
Nice...good supportive argument. Which player is much more likely to carry that stat line? Give you a hint, its not Butler.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.