Players Grade For OU Game

2,074 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by GrizBear
Mulder
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Players Grade for OU game.

NaLyssa Smith: A+
16 points, 5 boards, in 24 minutes.

Didi Richards: B-
11 points, 6 boards, 5 dimes, 6 turnovers, 5 fouls, in 35 minutes

Moon Ursin: A+
17 points, 2 steals, 4 boards, 4 assists, in 40 minutes.

Queen Egbo: C-
4 points, 4 fouls, 3 deletes, 6 boards, in 20 minutes.

Trinity Oliver: A
8 points, 5 boards, 2 assists, 2 steals in 28 minutes.

DiJonai Carrington: A-
19 points, 1 board, 1 delete, in 30 minutes.

Caitlin Bickle & Sarah Andrews: B
2 points, 5 boards, 1 steal, in 18 combined minutes.

An Objective Fan of The Former Baylor Lady Bears.
fredbear
I thought andrews looked good enough for more playing time.
Bearprof
This was the first game where I thought having Didi at the point hurt the team. She seemed out of sync and obviously turned the ball over way too much.
Eball
Bearprof said:

This was the first game where I thought having Didi at the point hurt the team. She seemed out of sync and obviously turned the ball over way too much.
DiDi also shot the ball well 5-6 most were jump shots....she had a very good 5'3" quick point guard covering her and they trapped...she faced difficult pressure. she contributed 5 assists and 6 rebounds. While the 6 TO's is a problem it is out of the norm for DiDi and we don't win without her scoring and defense...
lookin4awin
Andrews had one good bucket in transition, but she looked very hesitant when she took over the offense after Richard's fouled out. Mulkey had to bail her out once with a timeout, and I think she had a turnover from the other trap. I think she plays much better when Didi is on the court at the same time, and it is easier for her to get off a shot.

We have put a lot on Richard's shoulders this year. On Defense, she has to guard the opponent's best offensive weapon-and on Offense she has to be the drum major, without a three-point shot, and had someone in her grill all afternoon.

I agree that we are probably going to be in a "pick your poison" situation-especially once we get to the Sweet 16. To our advantage, we have a lot of experience on the court with Richards, Ursin, Smith, and Carrington. Kim is going to have to blend the best 5th spot based on who we are playing. Do we need Queen/Bickle inside, or do we need Andrews or Owens to try to hit from the perimeter?

Every team has some dents in their armor this year. We are no exception. But, on the right night, we have the potential to beat anyone.

I will add, I think we are going to peak at tournament time, and there isn't any team that really wants to see our Defense in their face.
Mulder
Sarah Andrews played with poise and confident. She had a nice one person fast break finish.
The only problems she encountered is when she was instructed to pass/force the ball into the post. . . Turnover!
Then she was instructed to dribble / hold the ball out front as the clock wound down. . . . She was trapped!

We need to see more of her.
An Objective Fan of The Former Baylor Lady Bears.
Big Bear
First half D was not good at all, foul trouble with Smith and then Egbo caused most problem. We had no rim protector. Didi had her worst game in quite some time. Her stats are not going to make KLM very happy. Thank God for Moon and Carrington, without either we would be very bad territory at the half. Second half was the flip of the coin and the D was big winner. Overall this game was not very good. We were not very focused as a team.
gold rewards
I've been waiting for a team to pressure Didi from one end of the court to the other, try to trap her, and press. I think we will see this a lot more going forward. Mulkey is going to have to figure out a way to give her help here. Some screens by teammates would have helped yesterday as she was coming up the floor.
Polarbear
gold rewards, I've been waiting for the same thing. With Didi's length, her dribble is high, and she's a below average ball handler for a D1 PG. It's a mystery why teams haven't been picking her up in the backcourt to pressure her all year. I suppose if you don't have great depth you'd exhaust your guards by making them play 92 feet of defense, but if you're gonna give up size in the post to us you may as well take advantage of any opportunity on the perimeter.

I think OU stumbled into the strategy, because they only had 7 active players yesterday and 6 were guards. They were forced to find ways to challenge and compete with us on the perimeter, and pressuring Didi was too obvious.

Lauren Cox was our press breaker for the last 3 years. She could set up at midcourt and present a large target for any ball handler in distress. She had great hands to catch anything, and then was a wonderful passer to keep the ball moving. Not sure what our best strategy would be with our current roster, but I agree we'll need to develop a press break solution because I suspect we'll see more teams bringing pressure.
IowaBear
Polarbear said:

gold rewards, I've been waiting for the same thing. With Didi's length, her dribble is high, and she's a below average ball handler for a D1 PG. It's a mystery why teams haven't been picking her up in the backcourt to pressure her all year. I suppose if you don't have great depth you'd exhaust your guards by making them play 92 feet of defense, but if you're gonna give up size in the post to us you may as well take advantage of any opportunity on the perimeter.

I think OU stumbled into the strategy, because they only had 7 active players yesterday and 6 were guards. They were forced to find ways to challenge and compete with us on the perimeter, and pressuring Didi was too obvious.

Lauren Cox was our press breaker for the last 3 years. She could set up at midcourt and present a large target for any ball handler in distress. She had great hands to catch anything, and then was a wonderful passer to keep the ball moving. Not sure what our best strategy would be with our current roster, but I agree we'll need to develop a press break solution because I suspect we'll see more teams bringing pressure.

To add to your point I think you may also see teams completely sag off of Didi several feet to clog passing lanes even more and dare her to beat them with a mid range jump shot. It's definitely something to watch going forward
lookin4awin
gold rewards said:

I've been waiting for a team to pressure Didi from one end of the court to the other, try to trap her, and press. I think we will see this a lot more going forward. Mulkey is going to have to figure out a way to give her help here. Some screens by teammates would have helped yesterday as she was coming up the floor.
lookin4awin
gold rewards said:

KM addressed this in the post game conference and acknowledged that they needed to work on getting Didi more help when pressed and trapped like she was yesterday.

KM's overall analysis was that we played a good game against the hottest team in the Big 12 on the road. She was very complimentary of Andrews' contribution to bring us back from a 10 point deficit in the first half. I enjoyed Mulkey's analysis that even if we catch a team fire-cracker hot in the first half, because of the amount of pressure we put on them the entire game, most are going to to eventually wear down-like Oklahoma did today-and miss shots they had been making.

Many here have expressed disappointment with our performance, it was interesting that KM seemed very satisfied, pointing out where we needed to improve.
GrizBear
IowaBear said:

Polarbear said:

To add to your point I think you may also see teams completely sag off of Didi several feet to clog passing lanes even more and dare her to beat them with a mid range jump shot. It's definitely something to watch going forward
Didi's mid range shot is deadly, so teams should go for it if they're that stupid.
IowaBear
We obviously have different ideas of what deadly is then. I'd bet 10/10 teams would live with Did Richards hitting an 15-18 foot jumpshot on them.
Dcheetah
Think you are both right. Longer midrange shots inside the circle but outside about 15 feet are not her forte but she is usually very accurate with a shorter midrange shot about 12-15 feet especially from the baseline.
Polarbear
Quick note after reading some of my own recent posts about Didi.

I adore Didi Richards, just like I adore all of the players on this team. I'm guilty sometimes of getting so into the analysis and conversation about what's happening on the floor, and how we can improve, that sometimes the tone is more critical than I intend. Sometimes I need to pause from all that and note how much I appreciate and respect these players.

I'm a Dad of two college kids, both of whom played competitive sports through high school. I spent many years coaching them, primarily baseball and softball (with some basketball and football), all the way through high school. I have great appreciation for the athletes who are "in the arena", competing and failing and competing again. I also recognize that these Baylor players are young women on a public stage, and I don't want to ever be too critical just because I get to sit on my couch and watch them on tv. I have no idea if the players or their families ever read these boards, but I can imagine how frustrating it could be to read a bunch of Junior Assistant Wannabe Coaches constantly throwing out opinions on how they can improve their game.

Didi Richards is one of my all time favorite Baylor players. I love her passion and energy, her competitiveness and toughness. I've had the pleasure of briefly meeting her a few times, and I am just a Fan Boy random dude, but she could not have been more gracious and delightful each time. She makes me proud to be a fellow Baylor Bear.
GrizBear
Dcheetah said:

Think you are both right. Longer midrange shots inside the circle but outside about 15 feet are not her forte but she is usually very accurate with a shorter midrange shot about 12-15 feet especially from the baseline.
I'd argue outside 15 feet are not midrange shots.

Moon is flat killing teams with her midrange jumpers this year too. The preference has to be to get Moon those shots.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.