What's a sports photo you'll remember forever?

5,536 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bone Squad
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Great Baylor Merchandise -> https://bit.ly/2M8DuHk
Jayman1963

BaylorGrad&Dad
The scoreboard after BU beat UT in 1974.

Oops, sorry. I see this is the WBB board. I apologize.
whitetrash
If keeping it in the WBB realm, then this (shades of which reappeared last night with Vital's block):

roadrunner
This is my favorite BU sports photo for two reasons. First, it perfectly captured the power of LC's blocks. Second, I am in the background of the full original photo. I remember that moment well, and it was thrilling!
SMU grad, Baylor women’s basketball enthusiast
gold rewards
Whitetrash posted mine.

And, if someone can find it, Walter Abercrombie diving over the offensive and defensive lines into the end zone. I think there is one where he is diving over but doesn't have the ball and Jay Jeffrey (?) ran it around end for a touchdown. Entire defense focused on Abercrombie.
whitetrash
gold rewards said:

Whitetrash posted mine.

And, if someone can find it, Walter Abercrombie diving over the offensive and defensive lines into the end zone. I think there is one where he is diving over but doesn't have the ball and Jay Jeffrey (?) ran it around end for a touchdown. Entire defense focused on Abercrombie.
1980 Arkansas game. ABC was televising it, focused on Walter's leap and replayed it a couple of times before they realized Jay had kept it and walked in around left end.
whitetrash
In the 1976 issue of Texas Football, there is a full page photo taken by Waco attorney Cullen Smith at the 1975 BU-TCU game. On a carry up the middle, BU RB Cleveland Franklin had cleared the line of scrimmage, but behind him you see the arm of a TCU DL with a hold of the waistband of Franklin's jockstrap, pulling it out of his pants and stretching it out about 18 inches behind him.

I might still have a copy somewhere in a box in the attic somewhere.
BaylorGrad&Dad
Whitetrash, I think it was Mike Ebo, not Franklin. But I could be wrong.
Steve Sadler
2005 Baylor Baseball dogpile at Baylor Ballpark after winning the Super Regional to advance to Omaha/College World Series. Josh Ford, Ryan LaMotta, et al.
BUVA
Terrance Williams catching the pass from RG3 to beat Oklahoma in 2011. Have an autographed copy on the wall. WBB would be Odyssey and BG pic in Waco paper under headline "PERFECTION 40-0" when they won the Natty in 2012.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
SSadler1 said:

2005 Baylor Baseball dogpile at Baylor Ballpark after winning the Super Regional to advance to Omaha/College World Series. Josh Ford, Ryan LaMotta, et al.

What a time that was.
Nguyen One Soon
SSadler1 said:

Was there, and it was hot. It really surprised me that most CWS day games were even hotter.
Steve Sadler
Yep. Was fortunate to have box seats. BU fans in left field bleaches were toast--literally.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Then future girlfriend and now wife, used my tickets while I was at work.
GarlandBear84
So that's how you got her!
Brian Ethridge
Staff
GarlandBear84 said:

She wouldn't date me, just used my tickets. One day she got smart.
GarlandBear84
Brian Ethridge said:

GarlandBear84 said:

She wouldn't date me, just used my tickets. One day she got smart.

LOL you know she reads this board. When the way to a woman's heart is sports tickets you've found a good one.
br53
SSadler1 said:

I like the one of LaMotta in a state with the Arizona State coach who thought he was gonna make a mound visit while Ryan was pitching.
Mulder
Sophia Young and Chameka Scott, God rest her soul, carried The Baylor Lady Bears to their first National Championship.

An Objective Fan of The Former Baylor Lady Bears.
gobears20
Staff
Steve Sadler
br53 said:

SSadler1 said:

I like the one of LaMotta in a state with the Arizona State coach who thought he was gonna make a mound visit while Ryan was pitching.
Rice Super. Yes. Classic.

Ryan may be my all time, all-around Baylor BBaller. Would be tough to decide between him and David Murphy, with a Chris Durbin in the conversation as well.
whitetrash
SSadler1 said:

low quality and pixelated, from the BigXII website:

gobears20
Staff
EatMoreSalmon
Not Baylor or actually a photo,, but hard to forget if you ever saw the old ABC sports intro.
Jayman1963
EatMoreSalmon said:

Not Baylor or actually a photo,, but hard to forget if you ever saw the old ABC sports intro.

ABC's Wide World of Sports - that was a Saturday afternoon staple - before all the multiple sports outlets.
Task Force 2015
The agony of defeat.
Steve Sadler
SSadler1 said:

br53 said:

SSadler1 said:

Rice Super. Yes. Classic.

Ryan may be my all time, all-around Baylor BBaller. Would be tough to decide between him and David Murphy, with a Chris Durbin in the conversation as well.
I had that photo of Ryan stepping toward Arizona Coach Murphy enlarged to an 8 x 10. That photo shows well that Ryan was only one step off the rubber toward Murphy while Murphy was still at field level headed toward the mound. I sent it to Ryan with a request he personalize it He did so with the caption, "Dr. Sadler, always hold the high ground!" One really sharp young man.

historian
gobears20 said:

MVP of the national championship game.
fredbear

And a hundred victory screams like it.
ABC BEAR
whitetrash said:

In the 1976 issue of Texas Football, there is a full page photo taken by Waco attorney Cullen Smith at the 1975 BU-TCU game. On a carry up the middle, BU RB Cleveland Franklin had cleared the line of scrimmage, but behind him you see the arm of a TCU DL with a hold of the waistband of Franklin's jockstrap, pulling it out of his pants and stretching it out about 18 inches behind him.

I might still have a copy somewhere in a box in the attic somewhere.
That's the photo I also thought about I believe the caption was: "Strapped".

Kim wearing a leopard print top is memorable too.
historian
whitetrash said:

If keeping it in the WBB realm, then this (shades of which reappeared last night with Vital's block):

That's always been one of my favorites!!

I found this gem from Lauren's freshman year:

https://www.espn.com/espnw/culture/the-buzz/story/_/id/18226744/you-really-need-see-monster-block-baylor-lady-bears-freshman-lauren-cox
Pecos 45
My brother and I just after Baylor capped off its 21-point comeback against TCU. We were in the end zone seats, and the entire 4th quarter took place in front of us.
I was getting up to go to the car with 6 minutes left, and he said, "No, if the Bears come back I want to be here."
Reluctantly sat down and witnessed the greatest comeback I've ever seen. I get chills just typing this.

He passed away suddenly last April, so that makes this photo ever that much more special.
Two Baylor siblings, at what could arguably be called the Game of the Century.
I still miss the guy, but I'm glad we had so many good times at Baylor games.

“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
BUBBFAN
Nguyen One Soon said:

SSadler1 said:

Was there, and it was hot. It really surprised me that most CWS day games were even hotter.
I was in Omaha for those games. Hot as I have ever been.
Steve Sadler
BUBBFAN said:

Nguyen One Soon said:

SSadler1 said:

I was in Omaha for those games. Hot as I have ever been.
You musta been one of those BU faithful stuck in left field bleachers. Brutal full sun in your face all game.

Fortunately I had managed 3b line seats that were tolerable.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.