Wow Cherry Cola has retired

7,125 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BUbackerinET
geewago
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Didn't expect that. New coach coming up in OU.
Bear Doc
Hmmm. Seems like a soft landing for her and maybe this was a forced retirement to go out gracefully.
GarlandBear84
She hasn't earned her paycheck in years. We'll see if they can lure someone to coach in a league where they're not likely to finish in the top 2-3.
1975bear
Gonna miss that post game handshake with Kim. Always a highlight of the game.
ABC BEAR
Maybe.....Stacey Dales?
BUVA
One thing she did perfectly was the Mulkey blow by. I won't miss that!
slimecap

Sic Em Bears
"Retired". Mmmkay
slimecap
Sherri Coale Press Conference

Start at approx 26:00 meter mark
https://soonersports.com/watch/?Archive=5841&type=Archive
lookin4awin
I think she did a good job with the team she had this year and OU may have made the tourney if they had not lost to OSU in the quarterfinal of the Big 12 tourney.

Not beating Mulkey teams has caused a few Texas coaches to find the door- I don't know if Sherry's failures of late to beat Mulkey teams played any part of her announcement or not.

I like SC and think she has a lot of spunk. She has had a good run. I will miss seeing her on the court.
GarlandBear84
I think her weak recruiting over the past 5-10 years doomed her. She wasn't able to recruit athletic girls.
blueeyedbear
ABC BEAR said:

Maybe.....Stacey Dales?
Done Deal
highplains
Why? She was one of OU's greatest players, but she has zero experience coaching at any level. They need more than that at this point in their program.
blueeyedbear
highplains said:

Why? She was one of OU's greatest players, but she has zero experience coaching at any level. They need more than that at this point in their program.

That's why she was hired - To replace SC if she did not turn things around. SC sees the writing on the wall and took the retirement route rather then being shown the door.
slimecap
ABC BEAR said:

Maybe.....Stacey Dales?
highplains
blueeyedbear said:

highplains said:

That's why she was hired - To replace SC if she did not turn things around. SC sees the writing on the wall and took the retirement route rather then being shown the door.
Hired where? By who? Are your referring to Jackie Stiles?
Texasjeremy
ACTIVE COACHES WINS AT CURRENT SCHOOL

BIG 12
629 - Kim Mulkey (Baylor) ----- 21 seasons
538 - Bill Fennelly (Iowa State) ----- 26 seasons
513 - Sherri Coale (Oklahoma) ----- 25 seasons
431 - Mike Carey (West Virginia) ----- 20 seasons
194 - Jim Littell (Oklahoma State) ----- 10 seasons
127 - Raegan Pebley (TCU) ----- 7 seasons
125 - Jeff Mittie (Kansas State) ----- 7 seasons
61 - Brandon Schneider (Kansas) ----- 6 seasons
18 - Vic Schaefer (Texas) ----- 1 season
10 - Krista Gerlich (Texas Tech) ----- 1 season

AVERAGE PER SEASON
30.0 - Kim Mulkey (Baylor)
21.6 - Mike Carey (West Virginia)
20.7 - Bill Fennelly (Iowa State)
20.5 - Sherri Coale (Oklahoma)
19.4 - Jim Littell (Oklahoma State)
18.1 - Raegan Pebley (TCU)
18.0 - Vic Schaefer (Texas)
17.9 - Jeff Mittie (Kansas State)
10.2 - Brandon Schneider (Kansas)
10.0 - Krista Gerlich (Texas Tech)
GarlandBear84
30 wins per season for Mulkey and this season she's only got 25 so far due to COVID cancellations!
Old300Bear
Well, I guess that means we just have to win the rest.
Fred Barber
Johnny Bear
Don't know if it was a forced "retirement" or not, but even if it wasn't I doubt the AD or anyone else in a position of power at OU tried to talk her out of it. Ever since the Paris twins left, which was over a decade ago, her program has been on a steady, consistent decline.
Johnny Bear
BUVA said:

One thing she did perfect was the Mulkey blow by. I won't miss that!
We lost the Karen Aston no eye contact blow by this season and now we'll be losing the Sherri Coale no eye contact blow by as well next season. The times, they are a changin'.......
Iron Claw
Sherri was a dead woman walking after the racism kerfuffle this year and the team's records the past few years. I suspect they'll move in the direction of a female POC to show the program isn't racist. (Who knows if I'll be right.)

I really thought they might move her into the fund-raising realm or Women's athletic director if that was available to help her save face but the above issue may have shut those doors.

I wouldn't expect a commentating gig because of her voice, it's too raspy, although I bet she would be pretty good at it.
FKA tri it
highplains
I finally watched the press conference. There were no direct questions about any of the underlying factors although a couple of questions hinted at them. So, this may simply be what Coale says it is, namely, she has been at it 25 years and is ready for a change.

HOWEVER, there are several underlying factors that point toward at least a mutual parting of the ways for Coale and OU. Some of these have already been mentioned:
1. The allegations last summer that Coale was racially insensitive to her black players.
2. Minimal success on the court for the past several seasons.
3. Minimal success in recruiting for the past several seasons.
4. Several players choosing to leave the program in the past several years before their eligibility expired.
5. Hiring her son as asst coach despite the fact that he has virtually no coaching experience.
6. Growing criticism from the shrinking OU wbb fan base.

Coale did an outstanding job for the first 15 years she was HC, especially in light of the fact she restarted a program that had been suspended for a short while, but since their FF appearance in 2010 the decline has been steady.
boatergal
Jackie Stiles would be an excellent choice for HC. She seemed to be very involved with players and had an active role coaching during games. We'll see what transpires. Jackie Stiles reminds me of Raegan Pebley at TCU.
slimecap
Iron Claw
highplains said:

...Coale did an outstanding job for the first 15 years she was HC, especially in light of the fact she restarted a program that had been suspended for a short while, but since their FF appearance in 2010 the decline has been steady.

For accuracy, Coale did not restart the program. Two years before she took over, the team made it to the second round of the NCAA Tournament and the year prior to that won the WNIT. Legendary Oklahoma girls coach Burl Plunkett led the team during the three years prior to Coale's hiring.
FKA tri it
historian
GarlandBear84 said:

30 wins per season for Mulkey and this season she's only got 25 so far due to COVID cancellations!
Maybe Mulkey will get 6 more this season.
blueeyedbear
historian said:

GarlandBear84 said:

Maybe Mulkey will get 6 more this season.
Ex Pres Obama say CKM will get the 6 wins and NT
slimecap
TechDawgMc
Iron Claw said:

highplains said:

...Coale did an outstanding job for the first 15 years she was HC, especially in light of the fact she restarted a program that had been suspended for a short while, but since their FF appearance in 2010 the decline has been steady.

For accuracy, Coale did not restart the program. Two years before she took over, the team made it to the second round of the NCAA Tournament and the year prior to that won the WNIT. Legendary Oklahoma girls coach Burl Plunkett led the team during the three years prior to Coale's hiring.

The program was canceled at a time when it was averaging 65 in attendance. It may not have been canceled long but it was restarted with Coale as coach. More of a restart than most rebuilding situations
Iron Claw
TechDawgMc said:

Iron Claw said:

highplains said:

The program was canceled at a time when it was averaging 65 in attendance. It may not have been canceled long but it was restarted with Coale as coach. More of a restart than most rebuilding situations

It was dropped in 1990 and restarted a WEEK later. That was six years before Coale became coach. I wouldn't call it a restart with a very recent WNIT championship and NCAA tournament appearance (with a first round win). She took over a program with recent, albeit brief, success.
FKA tri it
TechDawgMc
Iron Claw said:

TechDawgMc said:

Iron Claw said:

highplains said:

It was dropped in 1990 and restarted a WEEK later. That was six years before Coale became coach. I wouldn't call it a restart with a very recent WNIT championship and NCAA tournament appearance (with a first round win). She took over a program with recent, albeit brief, success.
Apologies. You are right. I knew it wasn't killed for long but I always thought she replaced the coach from the killing of the program.
slimecap
Possible replacement teams in seed order

historian
It would be nice to have another Big 12 team in, even if they don't go far. But that seems unlikely.
Iron Claw
TechDawgMc said:

Iron Claw said:

TechDawgMc said:

Iron Claw said:

highplains said:

Apologies. You are right. I knew it wasn't killed for long but I always thought she replaced the coach from the killing of the program.

No problem. I remember having a discussion on this topic several years ago and looked it up. I talked to a BIG TIME OU fan today about her retiring and he even thought she was the first coach hired after the pause. I told him I looked it up and she wasn't. He believed me but did look it up himself to verify.
FKA tri it
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.