Story Poster
Baylor Women's Basketball

BREAKING: WNBA COTY Nicki Collen hired as Baylor's WBB Coach

May 3, 2021

» Get 70% off an annual subscription! « 

WACO, Texas - Baylor University Vice President and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Mack Rhoades announced Monday that former Atlanta Dream Head Coach Nicki Collen would be named the fifth Head Coach in Baylor women’s basketball history. Collen will be formally introduced Wednesday at 2:30 p.m. at the Ferrell Center.

“Today is an exciting day for Baylor University and our women’s basketball program. Nicki is a passionate leader of young women and an elite basketball mind and teacher of the game,” said Rhoades. “She is a great mission fit who shares in our vision of Preparing Champions for Life by commanding excellence both on and off the court. Nicki’s professional experience will be invaluable to developing players for the next level. Her addition sustains our commitment to the women’s basketball program at the highest level. We welcome Nicki, her husband Tom and children, Connor, Reese and Logan, to the Baylor family.”

Collen comes to Baylor from the WNBA’s Atlanta franchise, where she spent the last three seasons at the helm for the Dream. Her rookie season in Atlanta resulted in a 23-11 season in 2018, where she earned WNBA Coach of the Year honors and helped the franchise to the WNBA Playoff Semifinals.

Prior to her arrival in Atlanta, she spent two seasons under head coach Curt Miller of the Connecticut Sun, helping the franchise improve from fifth in the East Division to second from 2016 to 2017, respectively.

“I am thrilled to be the head coach at Baylor University. I believe it is the top job in the country for women’s basketball,” said Collen. “I am excited to begin working with this extremely talented team and I am grateful for the unwavering support of President Livingstone and Mack Rhoades. The success of this program speaks for itself, and I will begin working today to ensure Baylor women’s basketball continues to be a program that excels at the highest levels.”

Collen’s collegiate coaching career spanned for nine seasons prior to her WNBA arrival. She spent two seasons as an assistant at Colorado State from 2000-2002, one season at Ball State from 2002-2003, one at Louisville from 2003-2004, three at Arkansas from 2011-2014 and two at Florida Gulf Coast from 2014-2016.

Her teams’ combined record in nine seasons as an NCAA Division I assistant was 214-74, good for a .743 win percentage. As an assistant, Collen guided four different squads to the NCAA Tournament, reaching the second round in three of those seasons.

She spent six of her nine seasons as an assistant under her husband, Tom Collen’s head-coaching tenures at Colorado State, Louisville and Arkansas. She also discipled under Tracy Roller at Ball State and Karl Smesko at Florida Gulf Coast, who has the third-highest active winning percentage in NCAA Division I. Collen helped the FGCU program to a 64-9 record and the school’s first NCAA Tournament win in her two-year tenure.

In her nine seasons at the collegiate level, Collen coached three All-Americans and saw three players selected in the WNBA Draft.

“We are excited to have Nicki lead our women’s basketball program, and we look forward to welcoming her into the Baylor Family,” said Baylor President Linda A. Livingstone, Ph.D. “I appreciate the work of Mack Rhoades and his team in identifying our next coach who understands our commitment to an elite program, aligns with Baylor’s Christian mission and appreciates how we prepare champions for life at our University. After visiting personally with Coach Collen, I can’t wait to see her and our student-athletes as they represent our great University both on the court and inside the classroom as well as throughout the Waco community.”

Collen’s collegiate playing career began at Purdue in 1993-94, when the Boilermakers made an NCAA Final Four run with a 29-5 overall record and a 16-2 mark in the Big Ten. Her sophomore season, Purdue made another deep run with an Elite Eight appearance to go with a 24-8 overall record. She transferred to Marquette, where she tallied 421 assists in her final two seasons, averaging 7.0 per game in her last 60 collegiate games. She helped the Golden Eagles to two-straight NCAA Tournament appearances in 1997 and 1998.

Nicki and her husband Tom have three children, Connor, Reese and Logan. 

WNBA ACCOLADES

• 2018 WNBA COACH OF THE YEAR

• JULY 2018 WNBA COACH OF THE MONTH

• AUGUST 2018 WNBA COACH OF THE MONTH

Discussion from...

BREAKING: WNBA COTY Nicki Collen hired as Baylor's WBB Coach

25,814 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by curtpenn
whitetrash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BleedGreen&Gold said:

Self Made Bear said:

BleedGreen&Gold said:

I'm so glad we hired a coach who is a strong proponent of LGBTQ rights and equality and is a Christian. Hoping she can push Baylor more in the direction of equality in this area, which Baylor has already been heading towards under Livingstone...

Is she? I see her support for LGBTQ on her Twitter feed, but nothing about her being a Christian.
yeah her twitter page at the top..Head Coach WNBA Atlanta Dream
#DreamOn mom, wife, daughter, sister, Christian
Night Ranger fan?
Michibear
whitetrash said:

BleedGreen&Gold said:

Self Made Bear said:

BleedGreen&Gold said:

I'm so glad we hired a coach who is a strong proponent of LGBTQ rights and equality and is a Christian. Hoping she can push Baylor more in the direction of equality in this area, which Baylor has already been heading towards under Livingstone...

Is she? I see her support for LGBTQ on her Twitter feed, but nothing about her being a Christian.
yeah her twitter page at the top..Head Coach WNBA Atlanta Dream
#DreamOn mom, wife, daughter, sister, Christian
Night Ranger fan?
Or is it Aerosmith fan?

possible12
Mothra said:

BaylorB254 said:

Mothra said:

BleedGreen&Gold said:

OntheRecord said:

She's outspoken pro-LGBTQ. Livingstone is trying to checkmate the BOR into wokeness. She will succeed.

https://twitter.com/nickicollen/status/1145887845044891650?lang=en

What a great tweet by her! BTW, supporting LGBTQ rights isn't wokeness -- it's basic human decency.

Depends on the rights...

Go on...

Not sure biological men playing WBB is a good thing, among others.
That ship's already sailed. If can't beat'em, join'em, then beat'em.. Just like all the other state schools. It's 'culture", man.

Brought a winning football team as well. Some cried out to God, but won't make that mistake again. Sic'em.
Gonzo62x
We have the strangest f^cking fans in the nation. Under the circumstances I can't think of many better hires. If Kim still wanted to be a Baylor Bear she would, but she chose to leave and we have to move on. As long as Drew stays and keeps winning in one of the big two sports then the rest is a cherry on top. I will miss Mulkey though regardless of her ego and pettiness.
OntheRecord said:

She's outspoken pro-LGBTQ. Livingstone is trying to checkmate the BOR into wokeness. She will succeed.

Oh, cool. I suddenly like this hire now. Inclusiveness is never a bad thing. Thanks for the link, pal!
Bobby in Bellmead
I'm curious to know if Molly Miller was interviewed, and if so did she turn the position down?
BleedGreen&Gold said:

OntheRecord said:

What a great tweet by her! BTW, supporting LGBTQ rights isn't wokeness -- it's basic human decency.
Not to mention that Kim was without question "pro-gay" despite media reports to the contrary. These fans living in a delusional world of denial (about Kim and WBB in general) think otherwise because their blue-haired noggins are buried too deep in the sand.
longtimebear
BleedGreen&Gold said:

OntheRecord said:

Your out of your mind. I'd rather be known as a racist than support that group of freaks.
Bearprof
Well, you may get your wish...
starneslaw
BUbearinARK said:

Watch this zoom video, and no one will question that Mack Rhoades got it exactly right AGAIN!!!
longtimebear said:

BleedGreen&Gold said:

OntheRecord said:

Your out of your mind. I'd rather be known as a racist than support that group of freaks.
Man, you sound really insecure for some odd reason.

Also, it's *you're.
Bobby in Bellmead
There is no scientific evidence to date that one is born gay..
Mothra
possible12 said:

Mothra said:

BaylorB254 said:

Mothra said:

BleedGreen&Gold said:

OntheRecord said:

Depends on the rights...

Go on...

That ship's already sailed. If can't beat'em, join'em, then beat'em.. Just like all the other state schools. It's 'culture", man.

Brought a winning football team as well. Some cried out to God, but won't make that mistake again. Sic'em.
There's not a single biological man playing WBB in Div. 1 that I am aware of. I don't think good people should so easily concede the culture war.
MattyIce
longtimebear said:

BleedGreen&Gold said:

OntheRecord said:

You would rather be a racist then a bigot???
Got it.
bear2be2
MattyIce said:

longtimebear said:

BleedGreen&Gold said:

OntheRecord said:

You would rather be a racist then a bigot???
Got it.

Those aren't mutually exclusive. There's room on that sheet for both badges.
bear2be2
longtimebear said:

BleedGreen&Gold said:

OntheRecord said:

It's sad that someone could (mis)use religion to take such an unChristlike stance.

If anyone's curious why young people are leaving the church in droves, they can find their answer in this post and the hateful mentality behind it.
samoore@swbell.net
Let it go for heaven sakes. We are born gay.
samoore@swbell.net
Yes we are.
BayouCity
bear2be2 said:

longtimebear said:

BleedGreen&Gold said:

OntheRecord said:

It's sad that someone could (mis)use religion to take such an unChristlike stance.

If anyone's curious why young people are leaving the church in droves, they can find their answer in this post and the hateful mentality behind it.

Misusing religion to take an un-Christ like stance? Kind of like when people claim that God allows people to be born gay despite no biblical or scientific evidence? The Bible gives us a great example of how to be tolerant of those who we don't agree with but I can't seem to find any reference to a gender other than male or female. Additionally, there's a pretty defiant stance on homosexuality.
ImABearToo
No wonder many avoid the WBB board. Can't talk women's sports without digressing to pro gay chatter. Back to men's board, much less social justice crap.
bear2be2
BayouCity said:

bear2be2 said:

longtimebear said:

BleedGreen&Gold said:

OntheRecord said:

Misusing religion to take an un-Christ like stance? Kind of like when people claim that God allows people to be born gay despite no biblical or scientific evidence? The Bible gives us a great example of how to be tolerant of those who we don't agree with but I can't seem to find any reference to a gender other than male or female. Additionally, there's a pretty defiant stance on homosexuality.

The Bible is not a science book. No one should treat it as such.

But my point had nothing to do with science or gender. It was, instead, highlighting how badly longtime -- and all who share his views -- have missed on the foundational tenants of their professed religion. I'm talking about Christ and his radical love, both of which are becoming increasingly difficult to find in the modern American church.
JustWinBears
Bjkacal@gmail.com said:

There is no scientific evidence to date that one is born gay..

Whether born gay or not, the fact that you even put any energy into someone else's life is a sign that you aren't doing enough to focus on your own. Be humble, be Christian, and be a true fan of Baylor and realize that some of those players and coaches you root for are gay and shouldn't face any external pressure from the likes of anyone on that subject. I ask everyone that thinks that way to seriously ask what you gain by being closed minded? I can't imagine that it brings any value in life.

Anyway as for the topic at hand I'm excited now that I see the players are warming to the idea of the new coach. I feel this is a great decision, and while like many I would have been interested in seeing someone like Molly get a shot I think we got a great coach that with given the same tools KM had May be able to carry on and be highly competitive. My only concern will be recruiting as she's been in the WNBA and not on the recruiting trails so may not have as many connections. However I'm sure she can utilize those that are staying to maintain the current recruiting channels and it sounds like she's great at building relationships so could be a great recruiter.
BleedGreen&Gold
longtimebear said:

BleedGreen&Gold said:

OntheRecord said:

You clearly are a bigot either way.
JustWinBears
ImABearToo said:

No wonder many avoid the WBB board. Can't talk women's sports without digressing to pro gay chatter. Back to men's board, much less social justice crap.

Lol the funny thing is you think it's an issue with social justice being the problem and not the ones antagonizing the subject. If people wouldn't come in here trying to impose on others their idea of what sexuality is then there wouldn't be a need for people to defend themselves. Literally by just being accepting of others or even apathetic to the issue rather than judging their life you remove all need to even discuss the topic.
ImABearToo
Made one last sweep through WBB board for the very last time. Why is "who's gay and who's not," or "what's the new coaches opinion on gay athletes" ever discussed on men's sports boards as it relates to a coaching hire?
BayouCity said:

bear2be2 said:

longtimebear said:

BleedGreen&Gold said:

OntheRecord said:

That very same writer took an incontrovertible stance on women keeping their heads covered and sitting silent in church, separated from the men. Funny how you're not bothered by that one.

You also conveniently ignore the issues that Jesus (not Paul or some unknown writerthe ones you're referencing) actually talked about, including his not so subtle condemnation of the rich (didn't Kim just get an 80k annual allowance for personal TRAVEL?), divorce (Kim has been divorced for 10+ years--and, sure, she's totally and completely abstinent), etc.

This is EXACTLY why the church is dying and it's only going to get worse. Thanks, bud. If you don't believe me, check out Beth Moore's recent writings. But she's a dying breed since a large chunk of her followers now consider her a heretic because she doesn't ascribe to the Holy MAGA agenda.

That's all. I'm not engaging any further. It's already going downhill and I probably shouldn't have contributed to this ridiculous debate. No opinions are going to change.
JustWinBears
ImABearToo said:

Made one last sweep through WBB board for the very last time. Why is "who's gay and who's not," or "what's the new coaches opinion on gay athletes" ever discussed on men's sports boards as it relates to a coaching hire?

It's because there was an article on KM regarding her players being gay so of course that will fuel more discussion on the new coach. You're acting like the whole subject is out of left field and that it was social justice advocates that brought this subject up for no reason other than to do so. We've had gay players on the team so if the coach has a problem with it, like some of the users here seem to have, then it may be a locker room issue. If there were openly gay players on the men team then Drew's handling of those situations would be discussed, but that's not a situation that's been had yet so of course it's not a discussion on the men's forum.
bear2be2
BayouCity said:

bear2be2 said:

longtimebear said:

BleedGreen&Gold said:

OntheRecord said:

And you should also probably ask yourself, as a Christian, why you feel compelled to defend a poster who essentially just referred to roughly 4.5 percent of the population as "freaks" undeserving of love and dignity. That is a wholly unChristlike stance.
ImABearToo
Starting to look and sound like a Whorn forum. I miss the Baylor of old.
samoore@swbell.net
Are you kidding me??
BaylorB254
longtimebear said:

BleedGreen&Gold said:

OntheRecord said:

I'm sure you would and I'm sure you are
BaylorB254
Mothra said:

BaylorB254 said:

Mothra said:

BleedGreen&Gold said:

OntheRecord said:

Depends on the rights...

Go on...

Was that her stance?
BaylorB254
BayouCity said:

BleedGreen&Gold said:

OntheRecord said:

This is a "hate the sin, love the sinner" situation but it's pretty freaking close to crossing that line.

Everyone deserves to have basic rights to be whatever they want. However, changing your gender because you think that God got it wrong when he made you in his image isn't basic human decency. It flies in the face of everything that Baylor adheres to in their biblical mission.

Committing a sin, feeling the weight of that sin, and asking for forgiveness is human - living in that sin as a proud way of life is not what God wants for our lives.

Well you're assuming those who agree believe in god.
Mothra
BaylorB254 said:

Mothra said:

BaylorB254 said:

Mothra said:

BleedGreen&Gold said:

OntheRecord said:

Depends on the rights...

Go on...

Was that her stance?

No clue. If you recall, I was responding to your position that it is always a good thing to support LGBTQ rights.
Eagle11Bear
Doug Gottlieb was on SicEm365 radio & said she was one of 3 finalists. He knows Molly & Nicki. He says Nicki is fantastic and has known her for over 20 years.

Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.