Oldbear300, Dana, ScottS, Setshot, Adriacus

15,969 Views | 142 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TechDawgMc
Bruin92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
blackie said:

ABC BEAR said:

Not sure what to make of the new coach. Much of her career indicates she was there during someone else's success. Her husband's record at louisville was strong but his tenure at Arkansas was unimpressive and ultimately he was let go by the Razorbacks and replaced by ESPN analyst jimmy Dykes.

I would like to have seen a hire with more floor coaching and recruiting experience. I know everyone is supposed to be impressed that she comes directly from the WNBA but I am more inclined to value the floor style and winning percentage of Molly Miller. Just my opinion.
Not trying to be disrespectful, your opinion is as valid as mine. But, I think the board got almost obsessed with Mollie Miller. She may indeed be a very fine coach looking back 10 years from now. But I don't think you would find any top 20 program, much less top 10 that would go after someone who has only 1 year experience at the D1 level. Heck, not even Oklahoma who went almost a month in their search pick her or even gave any indication of doing so.

As far as recruiting, I suspect that Collen with her experience as an NCAA assistant coach has more years recruiting experience than does Miller. Collen also brings the perspective that high level recruits may be looking for because of her WNBA background.

I'm not sure where this Miller stuff got started, but it got into the feedback loop frequently found on message boards. Someone throws out a name. Then some twitter nerd tweets it out as if it were fact. Then more message board people treat it as fact because they found it on twitter. And the cycle just feeds on itself. Certainly Miller would be a cheap hire, but I think she would be eaten alive right now by what she would face at the Power 5 level.....Just my opinion.

We just need to let things play out and see how it goes. I would say the same thing regardless of the hire. We have seen flops at UT, TT, Tennessee, and ND, just to name a few when legends get replaced. Some of them tried long-term assistants, some tried bringing in a name coach. We have no control over it anyway. Just let it play out.

The Molly Miller hysteria was ridiculous and had little to do with what candidate was best for Baylor. It was a joke by many because mocking Baylor WBB fans became a sport for some on here as a means of getting back at anyone who defended Kim.

Now that the hire has been made you won't hear from some of those posters again on the WBB board.

Adriacus Peratuun
DanaDane said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

My issues with Mulkey were twofold:

Overall, she was good but I don't subscribe to the "she is elite" school. Elite coaches consistently win when they have better talent and find a handful of wins with lesser talent.

What part of "elite" did you not use in that description, chief? You can keep pedaling sh*t and try to tell us it's sugar......but it's still sh*t and you're still an idiot for saying it. Halls of Fame are made for legends of any sport, and that's where she'll be here shortly.
Please.....if I said water was wet you would scream, attack me and call me names. That nonsense is who you are as a person. Incapable of intellectual debate. Scream, call names. Daily life must be fun for you when people disagree with you using facts.
IowaBear
What facts about the Mulkey and legend talk have you presented AP? In fact you've pretty much stated these are your opinions regarding the legend/elite talk. And while you've never been rude to me before I've seen you be a pompous ass to several posters belittling them for opinions/views. Your far from a victim here
Baylorkid
IowaBear said:

What facts about the Mulkey and legend talk have you presented AP? In fact you've pretty much stated these are your opinions regarding the legend/elite talk. And while you've never been rude to me before I've seen you be a pompous ass to several posters belittling them for opinions/views. Your far from a victim here

He's been a pompous ass to me several times!
IowaBear
I know, you're one I was referring too
Baylorkid
Nice to see people stand up to him! Have an awesome Day sir!
Reverend
AP won't say what makes him/her an expert. "High post V screen" nonsense. "Not elite" nonsense.

AP is just spouting his/ her opinion about nothing he/she knows about.

I'm mad at myself for getting aggravated about it.
DanaDane
Dude. Just give it up. You lost. You're like Prairie View against one of Kim's team. You lost as soon as the tipoff happened and you had a HUNDRED spot hung on you.
Adriacus Peratuun
IowaBear said:

Never claimed to be a victim. Will offer that Dana or Dane or Whatever likes to jump on threads and start name calling rather than debate. Most people understand that debate is substantially different and discourse is healthy.

If people think some of my opinions are pompous, OK. I get that I can be terse. If that bothers folks, I,apologize.

I do find some opinions offered to be either objectively wrong or so outlandish as to be the equivalent. I likely do come down strong on those type offerings.

Facts: championships [number, comparative status] were the relevant fact at issue in this discussion.

Debate me. Bring facts. Back up opinions with data. All of that is good. But name calling is intellectual weakness.

Legend v. Elite is clearly an opinion. But as with all opinions, should be informed by fact and tied to some measurable criteria. I tried to lay out my analysis. At least one other poster did the same. Others simply carpetbombed.
fh94
I was on the fence, but these articles about HCNC won me over:

AJC: Nicki Collen's Dream job a story of compromise, patience, support

NPR: Nicki Collen Was Her Husband's Assistant Coach. Now, She's WNBA Coach Of The Year.

I'm sure she knows the recruiting game as well, but we'll see what kind of results she gets. Whatever you say, you have to admit that KM was an elite recruiter.
DanaDane
You're confusing the word terse with pompous ass, which is a better description of what you've been this entire thread and earned the right to be called names.
Baylorkid
Adriacus Peratuun said:

IowaBear said:

Never claimed to be a victim. Will offer that Dana or Dane or Whatever likes to jump on threads and start name calling rather than debate. Most people understand that debate is substantially different and discourse is healthy.

If people think some of my opinions are pompous, OK. I get that I can be terse. If that bothers folks, I,apologize.

I do find some opinions offered to be either objectively wrong or so outlandish as to be the equivalent. I likely do come down strong on those type offerings.

Facts: championships [number, comparative status] were the relevant fact at issue in this discussion.

Debate me. Bring facts. Back up opinions with data. All of that is good. But name calling is intellectual weakness.

Legend v. Elite is clearly an opinion. But as with all opinions, should be informed by fact and tied to some measurable criteria. I tried to lay out my analysis. At least one other poster did the same. Others simply carpetbombed.

Lol! I literally remember one instance when I posted my opinion and you literally called me a name!
BUbackerinET
None of our current players, and certainly no recruit that has committed should transfer until they talk to her or watch her coach, respectively...
Mulder
Coach Collen impress me as a player's coach.
The players ought to be all in.

She has my support.
An Objective Fan of The Former Baylor Lady Bears.
setshot
The interviews on this site's radio broadcasts were predictably laudatory, but what came through was clear, Baylor has a coach who is a great fit culturally, and the unanimity about how well prepared she is and the manner in which she sets expectations but does so in a nurturing fashion is reassuring. Given the difficulties with the Covid-19 interruptions, the rather shabby ending of the season for a team that deserved better, the loss of their coach, something that could not have been foreseen by these young women, then the uncertainties of the search for a new coach in the shadow of the departure of the previous one -- all of this came like waves crashing on a rocky shoreline.

I cannot but help feeling a surge of sympathy for these players, and I appreciate the fact that amidst so much uncertainty several of those at the very core of this unit have shown a loyalty to the institution and to the program and remained steadfast in their determination to see this through. The leadership and the character of these young women should henceforth be an inspiration to us all, and the incoming coach and the staff that will be assembled should take notice: these are more than outstanding basketball players, they are going to be leaders in their communities and great representatives of Baylor University.

I suspect that they have set their goals high for the 2021-22 season, and the new coach will have their attention from the first to the last day of the season ahead. I think that we are going to see some outstanding basketball this Fall and Winter, and I really look forward to enjoying it. Welcome to a coach who is a remarkable fit for a coaching position at Baylor University. I think that we will be as fortunate as she seems to feel herself to be.
sswienton
blackie said:

ABC BEAR said:

Not sure what to make of the new coach. Much of her career indicates she was there during someone else's success. Her husband's record at louisville was strong but his tenure at Arkansas was unimpressive and ultimately he was let go by the Razorbacks and replaced by ESPN analyst jimmy Dykes.

I would like to have seen a hire with more floor coaching and recruiting experience. I know everyone is supposed to be impressed that she comes directly from the WNBA but I am more inclined to value the floor style and winning percentage of Molly Miller. Just my opinion.
Not trying to be disrespectful, your opinion is as valid as mine. But, I think the board got almost obsessed with Mollie Miller. She may indeed be a very fine coach looking back 10 years from now. But I don't think you would find any top 20 program, much less top 10 that would go after someone who has only 1 year experience at the D1 level. Heck, not even Oklahoma who went almost a month in their search pick her or even gave any indication of doing so.

As far as recruiting, I suspect that Collen with her experience as an NCAA assistant coach has more years recruiting experience than does Miller. Collen also brings the perspective that high level recruits may be looking for because of her WNBA background.

I'm not sure where this Miller stuff got started, but it got into the feedback loop frequently found on message boards. Someone throws out a name. Then some twitter nerd tweets it out as if it were fact. Then more message board people treat it as fact because they found it on twitter. And the cycle just feeds on itself. Certainly Miller would be a cheap hire, but I think she would be eaten alive right now by what she would face at the Power 5 level.....Just my opinion.

We just need to let things play out and see how it goes. I would say the same thing regardless of the hire. We have seen flops at UT, TT, Tennessee, and ND, just to name a few when legends get replaced. Some of them tried long-term assistants, some tried bringing in a name coach. We have no control over it anyway. Just let it play out.

I guess you don't consider Baylor a Top 10 or Top 20 program then, because Molly Miller was in the final 3 candidates along with Cullen
blueeyedbear
From Set Shot: The leadership and the character of these young women should henceforth be an inspiration to us all, and the incoming coach and the staff that will be assembled should take notice: these are more than outstanding basketball players, they are going to be leaders in their communities and great representatives of Baylor University.

Set Shot that is a spot on observation !! I sum your post up with two words that got questioned at lot by some posters last year....TEAM CHEMISTRTY !! The two that left were always the last two to jump up and get excited when a teammate made a great play.
I personally know and regularly correspond with one of these young ladies and she told me early on that no one other then Gusters was leaving (she did not know about Moon's plans) ....I wanted to believe her at the time but I was very cautious and took a wait and see posture. Turns out she was right and I could not be prouder of this teams character and the leadership from the upperclasswomen.
I look for this team to be winners not just on the court but off the court and in life as well irregardless wither or not they win another NT.
sswienton
blueeyedbear said:

From Set Shot: The leadership and the character of these young women should henceforth be an inspiration to us all, and the incoming coach and the staff that will be assembled should take notice: these are more than outstanding basketball players, they are going to be leaders in their communities and great representatives of Baylor University.

Set Shot that is a spot on observation !! I sum your post up with two words that got questioned at lot by some posters last year....TEAM CHEMISTRTY !! The two that left were always the last two to jump up and get excited when a teammate made a great play.
I personally know and regularly correspond with one of these young ladies and she told me early on that no one other then Gusters was leaving (she did not know about Moon's plans) ....I wanted to believe her at the time but I was very cautious and took a wait and see posture. Turns out she was right and I could not be prouder of this teams character and the leadership from the upperclasswomen.
I look for this team to be winners not just on the court but off the court and in life as well irregardless wither or not they win another NT.

This is great insight, ty for sharing!

Do you know what most factored into their decision to stay, or % of different variables that went into their decision making? Ex. Love for Baylor, love for their teammates, potential to win next season, not as big a fan of KM after playing for her, have no interest in LSU regardless of their coach, excited for new start with new coach and new scheme, etc...?
Eball
sswienton said:

blueeyedbear said:

Do you know what most factored into their decision to stay, or % of different variables that went into their decision making? Ex. Love for Baylor, love for their teammates, potential to win next season, not as big a fan of KM after playing for her, have no interest in LSU regardless of their coach, excited for new start with new coach and new scheme, etc...?
There just may not be room to move...transfer portal has to be done right as not all teams you want to move to may have need or roster flexibility...LSU has returning players and a roster as does BU...

Eball
Eball said:

sswienton said:

blueeyedbear said:

There just may not be room to move...tra nsfer portal has to be done right as not all teams you want to move to may have need or roster flexibility...LSU has returning players and a roster as does BU...
picked up a Grad Transfer so with Gusters and at least 10 undergrads on their last years

According to the LSU cite...they had three Sr's announce they were coming back and one Grad transfer. Add in Gusters and 10 undergrads from last years roster and you at 15 for LSU already unless some changes occur...
Eball
Eball said:

Eball said:

sswienton said:

blueeyedbear said:

There just may not be room to move...tra nsfer portal has to be done right as not all teams you want to move to may have need or roster flexibility...LSU has returning players and a roster as does BU...
picked up a Grad Transfer so with Gusters and at least 10 undergrads on their last years

According to the LSU cite...they had three Sr's announce they were coming back and one Grad transfer. Add in Gusters and 10 undergrads from last years roster and you at 15 for LSU already unless some changes occur...
Holy Cow it looks like the old coach signed a class of 6 last November! so Kim has some serious roster issues to deal with!
Stefano DiMera
She is very active on social media. I follow her instragram account. She immediately updated it Monday to Baylor head coach.

Twitter is for dumb old folks.
Eball
Eball said:

Eball said:

Eball said:

sswienton said:

blueeyedbear said:

Holy Cow it looks like the old coach signed a class of 6 last November! so Kim has some serious roster issues to deal with!
LSU had a bad record overall but they are not without talent...they beat A&M and Georgia last year and played USC close and several others very close...I would expect Kim to have them dancing next year even in a tough SEC...

If we can keep our core we have the talent at BU to compete for a Natty!
Bigkahunaww
Eball said:

Eball said:

Eball said:

Eball said:

sswienton said:

blueeyedbear said:

LSU had a bad record overall but they are not without talent...they beat A&M and Georgia last year and played USC close and several others very close...I would expect Kim to have them dancing next year even in a tough SEC...

If we can keep our core we have the talent at BU to compete for a Natty!
If we can beat UT twice, win the conference and make it to the elite eight, it would be an awesome start for the new coach. And the future of Baylor WBB.
Living the American dream in central Texas !
Adriacus Peratuun
Useful insights:

look at the Social Media accounts [InstaGram, Twitter, etc.] of various Mulkey Era ACs, staff, etc. and see which have switched labels to LSU and which remain labeled Baylor.

Not absolutely clear info due to how the contracts [start/end] work, but definitely illuminating. Remaining at Baylor is clearly an option for several folks and "out the door on Kim's coattails" was clearly the path of others.

"Basketball people vs. Entourage people" line is fairly clear.
Texasjeremy
I very much value AP's point of view on WBB, AP is a wealth of knowledge. On this topic, I definitely believe Kim is a legend and will in the future be remembered as such (once some of the hurt feelings have time to heal). However, people have different opinions and thats what these boards are for.
setshot
Thanks for your post, Texasjeremy.
It reminds us that it is a reasonable position to acknowledge the great contributions that Kim Mulkey made to the Lady Bear program and to wish her the best in her return to her roots down in southern Louisiana, and at the same time to warmly greet our new coach and give her our complete support as she undertakes the continuation of the leviathan that Mulkey constructed in Waco.

I think that Kim is a unique individual, superior in many aspects and stubbornly resistant in others. At times her deficiencies worked to her advantage and we profited from them, and at other times the forceful application of her strengths challenged our cringe factor, even as we profited from those, as well.

Fifty years ago I read a comment from a writer I greatly respected and it has challenged me ever since. He wrote, "It is more important that a statement be interesting than that it be true." I could not bring myself to accept the validity of that when, as a young and relatively inexperienced teacher I read it, but I have over the years wrestled with it through complexity and an appreciation of life as an uncertain journey, and while I still have doubts swirling around the statement, it is a sort of self-validation. The statement itself is perhaps more interesting than true, and so are the lives of many people we meet along the way. Our flaws often flavor our lives and make us more interesting, and what after all, in the finality of things are the truths of us that others recognize and respond to? We are what we think ourselves to be, we are what others think us to be, and we are something more that all of that.

I have scarcely met a couple of times a marvelously complicated woman, one that I consider to be a source of major interest and, predictably enough, a challenge. I would tell you who she is, but you already know that from my description. I treasure her and hold her in memory. That is enough.

I am ready for her successor. She starts with an expectation that the difference bridging what was and what is can be creative and productive of a new version of success in the sport we all cherish. The past is always prologue to the future, and the future of the Baylor women's basketball is not tomorrow as it was 21 years ago, it is now. It is a different time, and that calls for a different response. I have more than a hope that we are embarking on a course that institutionalizes excellence. I believe that it is a reality. We will see soon enough.
allstate2000
baylorbear33 said:

I was not blessed with Kim as a coach. I was in the smoke & mirror era prior to her arrival.

Were you my summer basketball camp coach in the 90s? DM me if you want
RitaRivas
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Everyone knows what Kim runs. Her keys are multiple plays from same alignment, solid execution, superior players. It is "win by Jimmys and Joes" not win by Xs and Os.

Name the last time Baylor beat a team that had better players/athletes than Baylor.

I disagree strongly with any opinion that Kim's teams didn't win by X's and O's. She is a great mid-game tactician. If you've played and/or watched games (I know you have) you'd admit this. Of course, BU has had its share of great player talent, but KM wove them together and managed them thru many tough situations.
allstate2000
baylor1984 said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

Think several of you are lacking reading comprehension. The debate wasn't about "elite" coaches but "coaching legends".

Is there a difference between the two labels? Yes.

Jim Calhoun won 3 NCs at UConn. Was he an elite coach? Yes. Was he a coaching legend? No.

Coaching legend would be John Wooden. Possibly Coach K. But not Calhoun.

Same analysis applies to WBB. Coaching Legends: Auriemma & Summitt.

Mulkey: elite but not a coaching legend. And her playing championship doesn't count any more than Bobby Knight's playing championship does.

If you can't understand the difference between the two levels, can't help you.
If Kim somehow wins one at LSU what do you think then since no other coach in WBB history would have done that. I do agree with your assessment as it stands today.

Is Pitino the only one who has done it in MBB?
baylor1984
allstate2000 said:

baylor1984 said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

Think several of you are lacking reading comprehension. The debate wasn't about "elite" coaches but "coaching legends".

Is there a difference between the two labels? Yes.

Jim Calhoun won 3 NCs at UConn. Was he an elite coach? Yes. Was he a coaching legend? No.

Coaching legend would be John Wooden. Possibly Coach K. But not Calhoun.

Same analysis applies to WBB. Coaching Legends: Auriemma & Summitt.

Mulkey: elite but not a coaching legend. And her playing championship doesn't count any more than Bobby Knight's playing championship does.

If you can't understand the difference between the two levels, can't help you.
If Kim somehow wins one at LSU what do you think then since no other coach in WBB history would have done that. I do agree with your assessment as it stands today.

Yes, I believe so.
Eagle11Bear
IowaBear said:

Not sure I agree that Baylor had more talent then ND or even Oregon in 19. But to each their own. But trying to argue that Kim isn't an elite coach is laughable. Using APs theory Geno wouldn't be either... after all he just lost to an AZ team that UCONN was far superior to like what a month ago.
She has had a lot on her plate the last 4 days that are quite a bit more important than her Twitter account.
LadyChickBear
Morgan101 said:

Did anyone notice that Alexis Prince once played for her?
Would love to hear her opinion of her old coach!
Kalani played for her last year and she was very excited for her. Odyssey will be with Atlanta this year as a free agent move so I am sure she has had contact with her. And Sophia Young seems to love her.
bawitdaball
Eball said:

Eball said:

Eball said:

sswienton said:

blueeyedbear said:

There are no scholarship limited in 2021-2022 due to the added year. Gives coaches time to adjust. So she won't have the issues until next year, at which point she'll have either developed or run off the inadequate talent. But given that she'll have to play South Caroline, A&M, Georgia, and Tennessee, there is a possibility that it will be a LONG year. If Sammie recommits, i will speak volumes. Hopefully her and Cox can continue the Baylor surge in talent.
slimecap
allstate2000 said:

baylor1984 said:

If Kim somehow wins one at LSU what do you think then since no other coach in WBB history would have done that.
Rick Pitino American basketball coach who was the first head coach to win a men's NCAA Division I national championship with two different schools
.. 1996 University of Kentucky
.. 2013 University of Louisville
However, his 2013 title was later vacated by Louisville after an NCAA investigation into improper benefits for athletes.

- Source: britannica.com

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.