How was the press conference

8,272 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by LitigiOSO
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Sorry been in meetings all day

How was it and what did you think?

For those that missed it; CNC takes the stage at about the 20:00 min mark

Great Baylor Merchandise -> https://bit.ly/2M8DuHk
BUBBFAN
It was good. I like her.
mcleod66
BUBBFAN said:

It was good. I like her.

AGREED!!!
Wbbfan29
I like her. Can't wait to watch her girls play under her.
ABC BEAR
The local car dealership needs to give her a Vette to drive for a year.....paying it forward and tweaking at the same time.
fubar
What did you guys like about her? (genuine question)
GarlandBear84
Anyone who bashed the hiring should watch the event and will likely be a big fan.
Adriacus Peratuun
Collen isn't an overwhelming public speaker but she definitely comes across as knowledgeable and genuine.

She gets bonus points for dropping a "damn" at her opening presser in front of the BOR, Livingstone & Rhoades.

She worked the current players extra hard. It is clear that preventing defections is her #1 priority BY FAR.

Got the feeling that the search committee grilled her hard about job hopping... she went out of her way to explain it and emphasize that she wants to be at BU long term.

Rhoades definitely needs to be enrolled in Remedial Public Attire 101.
joe2021
I thought she was genuine, modest, and positive. She checked every box for me. The players seem to like her and so do I.
Lion82
I hope she goes out and hires a top recruiter. X's and O's won't keep this program in elite status. Having consistent top WNBA drafts picks annually who play hard will.
WNIT in '23
DanaDane
Watch out, Lion Someone will pop in soon and say recruiting doesn't matter, you can "coach them up".

Here's the 6 players on Stanford who played 20 minutes or more in the National Championship game and their corresponding recruiting rating for the year recruited:

Haley Jones - 5 stars - #1 recruit in 2018
Lexie Hull - 5 stars
Cameron Brink - 5 stars
Kiana Williams - 5 stars
Anna Wilson - 5 stars
Ashten Prechtel - 5 stars
Bigkahunaww
Did she possibly say or hint who are going to be on her staff?
Living the American dream in central Texas !
jdrs
I liked how she acknowledged CKM and how she said she needed to rerecruit the current players. So important to keep our players here and to buy into her approach. Wish her the best.
bawitdaball
Recruiting matters - as does development. Aston recruited impressively; however, never developed her talent. Eventually, if you don't develop, recruits stop trusting you with their future.
DanaDane
Gotta have both, no doubt. But you can coach all you want to you with 5'4" 2 star recruits..........and you ain't making it to the Natty.
DanaDane
Bigkahunaww said:

Did she possibly say or hint who are going to be on her staff?

Direct quote from the press conference:

'I'm going to hire a staff that understands Texas; that has relationships; that continues to relationship build"

Sounds like she's still working on that. No names mentioned.
DanaDane
Wow. Very impressed with the press conference and her answers. She definitely comes across as a straight shooter. She handled the Kim related questions superbly too. There are at least 4 players who should be giddy about next year if they listened closely to her style on offense:

1. Smith
2. Bickle
3. Egbo
4. Dauda
DanaDane
Just listened to her interview this afternoon with Smoaky and Catalina.

Double WOW! I can see why she shines in interviews.

Couple of tidbits for those who haven't gotten to listen:

1. She's good friends with former Bear Melvin Hunt.

2. She spoke with Jordan Lewis Monday night, and actually already knew her from having her at camps on FGCU campus while she was coach there. Sounds like Jordan is definitely coming here.
Lion82
I've been pissed at Baylor over Mulkey leaving. They could have done more but I do want Cnc to be successful here and coach a decade or more.

Press conferences are mainly bull***** Most of that crap said up there today by 2 Star and Livingstone was virtue signaling and fluff. And not presented very well by either

Cnc is in a tough place replacing kim and inheriting a loaded team that just took geno to the wire. The pressure to succeed here is enormous and wore even kim down. I hope Cnc know what she got herself into and is ready

WNIT in '23
juliejay84
fubar said:

What did you guys like about her? (genuine question)
Opening words were to thank Kim Mulkey. And there was a consistent respect to the program, yet she didn't miss a beat at saying she was focused on being the best version of herself. She's a straight-shooter. She clearly loves the game and is very focused on the players. Good vibes . I'm in.
fredbear
I saw queen, smith, Owens, bickle, Andrews

Who were the other players there?
MrGolfguy
Moon, T. Oliver, Carr, & McDaniel were also there
fredbear
Great! Thank you! Lewis is on board too, and I'm very hopeful that Maryam Dauda will join them as well.
blackie
Lion82 said:

I've been pissed at Baylor over Mulkey leaving. They could have done more but I do want Cnc to be successful here and coach a decade or more.

Press conferences are mainly bull***** Most of that crap said up there today by 2 Star and Livingstone was virtue signaling and fluff. And not presented very well by either

Cnc is in a tough place replacing kim and inheriting a loaded team that just took geno to the wire. The pressure to succeed here is enormous and wore even kim down. I hope Cnc know what she got herself into and is ready

I doubt any of us will ever know the complete story on Mulkey leaving. I am not going to take sides as I do not know. I will say that at some point if you have done all within reason to anyone's standard of "within reason" to keep someone and it still isn't enough, you just have to let them go, even your prized coach. The privates can't run the Army. Not saying this was the case and perhaps more could have been done. But without any facts likewise it also can be said that everything that should and could be done was done and it still wasn't enough.

Time to get behind CNC. I think she is a great fit.
fredbear
I'm all in.
Michibear
Her interview with Smoak and Co. knocked it out the park. She's gonna be great if given the chance.
Meladee
I like her so far. Good things being said about her. The players seem happy which to me is huge. She needs a solid staff and a good first season.

I'm hopeful this is as good a hire as I think it is. we will know in the next few years for sure.
longtimebear
As I promoted gloom and doom a few days ago, I have to say CNC has my support and the faith things will work out fine.
bearmission8
Great introduction
Love Coach Collen
Lets go and win another National Championship
NC are addictive after four you want #5
Sic Em
“If anyone wants to come after Me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow Me." Luke 9:23
Baylor University Class of 93-94
joseywales
Kim has been out coached in many big games and the uconn game was no different..19 straight points by uconn after injury to dee dee with one timeout should have called two
joseywales
Mack was happy she left...
Leonidas
This was not from the press conference, but the interview the Trib did with her afterwards and reported this morning. I thought these specific comments about the offense might be of interest to those who have not seen this yet:

• She said part of her job as a WNBA coach has been to evaluate college talent, so she's already familiar with much of the Baylor roster.
    In particular, if Smith, the reigning Big 12 Player of the Year, comes back for the Lady Bears, Collen has a good idea how she wants to use the versatile 6-foot-2 forward.
    "I think where her growth is going to be is can we really help her grown in terms of her perimeter game?" Collen said. "Can we truly stretch her to the arc? Can we get her in dribble handoffs? Can we get her in open space where she can drive? Can she facilitate? We want to drive up her assist-to-turnover ratio. Her versatility is what will translate the most to the pros. At 6-2, she's an elite athlete, but it will be important for her to develop her perimeter game, to shoot it, to handle it."

Along with having a plan for the Lady Bears' best returning player, Collen said she'll implement more of a pro style look on the offensive end of the floor.
    "My goal will be to lead the league in total pick-and-rolls," she said. "We want to play early offense. We want to play in space. We're certainly going to rim run and post up."

BaylorRocks
Coach Brock already in his retirement attire. Believe it. Good for him. He's earned it.

Sic'em
BBWCBear
Leonidas said:

This was not from the press conference, but the interview the Trib did with her afterwards and reported this morning. I thought these specific comments about the offense might be of interest to those who have not seen this yet:

• She said part of her job as a WNBA coach has been to evaluate college talent, so she's already familiar with much of the Baylor roster.
    In particular, if Smith, the reigning Big 12 Player of the Year, comes back for the Lady Bears, Collen has a good idea how she wants to use the versatile 6-foot-2 forward.
    "I think where her growth is going to be is can we really help her grown in terms of her perimeter game?" Collen said. "Can we truly stretch her to the arc? Can we get her in dribble handoffs? Can we get her in open space where she can drive? Can she facilitate? We want to drive up her assist-to-turnover ratio. Her versatility is what will translate the most to the pros. At 6-2, she's an elite athlete, but it will be important for her to develop her perimeter game, to shoot it, to handle it."

Along with having a plan for the Lady Bears' best returning player, Collen said she'll implement more of a pro style look on the offensive end of the floor.
    "My goal will be to lead the league in total pick-and-rolls," she said. "We want to play early offense. We want to play in space. We're certainly going to rim run and post up."

Thanks for her comments. Her points looked very exciting and helps novices, like me, gain a little more confidence.
Adriacus Peratuun
Leonidas said:

That one item is very telling. Due to Baylor's primary transition O, statistics were misleading as to the REALLY slow pace of play that Baylor had in its half court O and the fact that it got almost zero secondary break baskets.

Establishing a secondary break and speeding up the half court O should lead to at least 8ish more shot attempts per game. With a roster full of talent and a far deeper "quality" bench than most teams, could never understand why Mulkey played at such a slow pace in half court O.

Smith should be ecstatic about getting the ball in space rather than facing double/triple teams every possession.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.