How was the press conference

8,276 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by LitigiOSO
BaylorRocks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This was a good watch. Thanks for posting it!

I will admit, it is surprisingly refreshing to hear humility coming across the microphone rather than attitude and arrogance. I don't know why any of the current players would not want to stay on and play for (with) her.

I'll probably now keep my mid-court season seats and check the new game out.

Sic'em

I skipped through most of 2 Star and Linda. Useless......
CNC
gobears20 said:

Sorry been in meetings all day

How was it and what did you think?

For those that missed it; CNC takes the stage at about the 20:00 min mark

With a nickname like that, she better be good!
TxRainMkr
In sports, it's easy to know who is the best in the nation because it's the team who wins the game. But I like how all the administrators refer to each other as the best in the nation.
blueeyedbear
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Leonidas said:

This was not from the press conference, but the interview the Trib did with her afterwards and reported this morning. I thought these specific comments about the offense might be of interest to those who have not seen this yet:

• She said part of her job as a WNBA coach has been to evaluate college talent, so she's already familiar with much of the Baylor roster.
    In particular, if Smith, the reigning Big 12 Player of the Year, comes back for the Lady Bears, Collen has a good idea how she wants to use the versatile 6-foot-2 forward.
    "I think where her growth is going to be is can we really help her grown in terms of her perimeter game?" Collen said. "Can we truly stretch her to the arc? Can we get her in dribble handoffs? Can we get her in open space where she can drive? Can she facilitate? We want to drive up her assist-to-turnover ratio. Her versatility is what will translate the most to the pros. At 6-2, she's an elite athlete, but it will be important for her to develop her perimeter game, to shoot it, to handle it."

Along with having a plan for the Lady Bears' best returning player, Collen said she'll implement more of a pro style look on the offensive end of the floor.
    "My goal will be to lead the league in total pick-and-rolls," she said. "We want to play early offense. We want to play in space. We're certainly going to rim run and post up."

That one item is very telling. Due to Baylor's primary transition O, statistics were misleading as to the REALLY slow pace of play that Baylor had in its half court O and the fact that it got almost zero secondary break baskets.

Establishing a secondary break and speeding up the half court O should lead to at least 8ish more shot attempts per game. With a roster full of talent and a far deeper "quality" bench than most teams, could never understand why Mulkey played at such a slow pace in half court O.

Smith should be ecstatic about getting the ball in space rather than facing double/triple teams every possession.
she was smiling through CNC whole introduction program comments
Brian Ethridge
Staff
blueeyedbear said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

Leonidas said:

This was not from the press conference, but the interview the Trib did with her afterwards and reported this morning. I thought these specific comments about the offense might be of interest to those who have not seen this yet:

• She said part of her job as a WNBA coach has been to evaluate college talent, so she's already familiar with much of the Baylor roster.
    In particular, if Smith, the reigning Big 12 Player of the Year, comes back for the Lady Bears, Collen has a good idea how she wants to use the versatile 6-foot-2 forward.
    "I think where her growth is going to be is can we really help her grown in terms of her perimeter game?" Collen said. "Can we truly stretch her to the arc? Can we get her in dribble handoffs? Can we get her in open space where she can drive? Can she facilitate? We want to drive up her assist-to-turnover ratio. Her versatility is what will translate the most to the pros. At 6-2, she's an elite athlete, but it will be important for her to develop her perimeter game, to shoot it, to handle it."

Along with having a plan for the Lady Bears' best returning player, Collen said she'll implement more of a pro style look on the offensive end of the floor.
    "My goal will be to lead the league in total pick-and-rolls," she said. "We want to play early offense. We want to play in space. We're certainly going to rim run and post up."

That one item is very telling. Due to Baylor's primary transition O, statistics were misleading as to the REALLY slow pace of play that Baylor had in its half court O and the fact that it got almost zero secondary break baskets.

Establishing a secondary break and speeding up the half court O should lead to at least 8ish more shot attempts per game. With a roster full of talent and a far deeper "quality" bench than most teams, could never understand why Mulkey played at such a slow pace in half court O.

Smith should be ecstatic about getting the ball in space rather than facing double/triple teams every possession.
she was smiling through CNC whole introduction program comments
I did a little breakdown on the offense and Smith, Andrews, Egbo, Dauda, etc. should be smiling ear to ear on the spacing and motion in her offense, if she brings that from Atlanta.

It'll be much different from what was seen in the past 21 years and more of what you see out of Stanford or Golden State with the elevator picks and screens.
JustWinBears
I'm impressed. We'll see if she can pull it all together, but overall she seems like a great pick. Her play style won't be able to be judged till game time, but I feel her off the court presence is there. I feel the make or break moment will be who she puts around her in terms of coaches and recruiters. It's going to be important to maintain the current team and make a strong run in the tourney next season. The pressure is going to be on next season and if she can't pull it together and make a run with the pieces in place then I feel like she's gonna struggle for many years. If that happens it doesn't mean she won't ever get there, but all eyes are on her next season for better or worse. Fingers crossed she wins another title next year for Baylor and can show recruits she can keep the show going.
PaulW74
She seems down-to-earth, passionate about her family and for basketball, and a "what you see is what you get" personality. She actually kinda-sorta reminds me of Kim when Kim first took the job. When she looked at the team sitting in the audience it was like she was assuring them "I got this!" and that they weren't going to lose a step. Now we have to be patient with her. Its going to take her a season or two to institute her system and get the players to buy into it where the program can return to its previous level. If we can get to the Sweet 16 next season, we can call that a win. If she gets us farther than that, its a bonus.
BluesBear
CNC said:

gobears20 said:

Man....She's a looker bookend by two very unattractive individuals...

Just saying what everyone is thinking...
BaylorRocks
TrustTheProcess said:

CNC said:

gobears20 said:

And Mack is the highest paid person in that lineup. Just like he likes it.........

Sic'em
ScottS
Wait, Mack didn't like that KM made more than him?
GarlandBear84
TrustTheProcess said:

CNC said:

gobears20 said:

How about post a photo of yourself and let us critique away.? I've never heard anyone say Linda or Mack are "very unattractive". They seem average or better to me.
Goldigger
TrustTheProcess said:

CNC said:

gobears20 said:

Post a picture of yourself. It better get better fast because our personality sure is ugly. And no...nobody was thinking that you jerk,
BBWCBear
JustWinBears said:

I'm impressed. We'll see if she can pull it all together, but overall she seems like a great pick. Her play style won't be able to be judged till game time, but I feel her off the court presence is there. I feel the make or break moment will be who she puts around her in terms of coaches and recruiters. It's going to be important to maintain the current team and make a strong run in the tourney next season. The pressure is going to be on next season and if she can't pull it together and make a run with the pieces in place then I feel like she's gonna struggle for many years. If that happens it doesn't mean she won't ever get there, but all eyes are on her next season for better or worse. Fingers crossed she wins another title next year for Baylor and can show recruits she can keep the show going.

Yep, retaining the players and first season are WAY important. I'm hopeful, but in true honesty her last two years of 15-41 does worry me. It was WNBA and not college though.
OddFire71
Damnit I want to talk to Scott Drew too.
TxRainMkr
OddFire71 said:

Damnit I want to talk to Scott Drew too.
Then sign into Cameo.
GarlandBear84
BBWCBear said:

JustWinBears said:

Yep, retaining the players and first season are WAY important. I'm hopeful, but in true honesty her last two years of 15-41 does worry me. It was WNBA and not college though.

From what I read she lost her best player due to injury and then several of the best opted out of the COVID season.
Saddle Up!
I really wish that gobears20 or someone else could find a video of Kim Mulkey's introductory presser to watch. I'd like to see the difference in scope, style, sophistication, etc, as well as seeing how Kim handled it way back then. I found the Trib article on it, which had 6 stills of the occasion, but would love to see the video of her being introduced, and her first remarks to the Baylor faithful.
GarlandBear84
Saddle Up! said:

I really wish that gobears20 or someone else could find a video of Kim Mulkey's introductory presser to watch. I'd like to see the difference in scope, style, sophistication, etc, as well as seeing how Kim handled it way back then. I found the Trib article on it, which had 6 stills of the occasion, but would love to see the video of her being introduced, and her first remarks to the Baylor faithful.

Do you have a reel-to-reel to watch it on?
gobears20
Staff
Great Baylor Merchandise -> https://bit.ly/2M8DuHk
LitigiOSO

https://baylorbears.com/news/2000/8/8/Mulkey_Robertson_Named_New_Head_Women_s_Hoops_Coach.aspx

Not a video, but this press release does include some quotes from KM and her vision and reason for leaving Louisiana Tech for Baylor.

Notable quotes:

"There are three reasons I made the decision to accept the job at Baylor University.

First - I felt it was very important for me to go where I felt my career could develop. At Louisiana Tech we'd been to 13 Final Fours, it's hard to keep that going."

She always mentioned it was hard "feeding the monster" at Baylor.
LitigiOSO
B.A. '92, J.D. '95
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.