Will BU now retire BG's #42?

9,085 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Eball
Onward Go
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I understood that Griner's number had not been retired because she did not graduate in 2013.

I heard something along the way that she had come back and officially finished her coursework in order to gain her diploma.

Mulkey said in her introductory (very purple) press conference on the bayou that all of her players at Baylor had graduated. True?

At the WNBA draft in 2013, Mulkey did not sit with Griner, and Griner's father indicated there had been a falling out. He made a statement something like -- Once you can't do anything anymore for Kim, she is done with you. I'm reaching back 8 years, here.

Had Mulkey decided to never retire #42? Was there some sort of beef there?

It might be a great idea to bring Britney home and retire her number in a Ferrell Center ceremony.
ctxbear
I hope so. It's time.
slimecap
Onward Go said:

I heard something along the way that she had come back and officially finished her coursework in order to gain her diploma..
July 2019 Brittney Griner receives her Baylor diploma

BaylorRocks
Onward Go said:

I understood that Griner's number had not been retired because she did not graduate in 2013.

I heard something along the way that she had come back and officially finished her coursework in order to gain her diploma.

Mulkey said in her introductory (very purple) press conference on the bayou that all of her players at Baylor had graduated. True?

At the WNBA draft in 2013, Mulkey did not sit with Griner, and Griner's father indicated there had been a falling out. He made a statement something like -- Once you can't do anything anymore for Kim, she is done with you. I'm reaching back 8 years, here.

It might be a great idea to bring Britney home and retire her number in a Ferrell Center ceremony.
Brit hasn't stepped ONE FOOT on the Baylor campus since the day she left.

The only thing she has ever done for Baylor after leaving is attack and criticize it.....after her WNBA, International, and endorsements contracts were in hand.

Weak.
EvilTroyAndAbed
zunooreo said:

Onward Go said:

The only thing she has ever done for Baylor after leaving is attack and criticize it.....after her WNBA, International, and endorsements contracts were in hand.

Weak.

She tweeted out all the time the Lady Bears were in a big game. She has publicly supported the team.
robby44
It would be hard for Brittney to step foot on campus since she has played basketball year round since her senior year was finished
Stefano DiMera
Griner steal yo girl?
Proud 1992 Alum
Jerseys are retired during the college basketball season. My understanding is that since Griner's graduation in 2019 the holdup has been her availability due to playing basketball overseas.
chorne68
I sure hope Baylor gives her the respect she deserves and retires her number. I also hope she comes back often and always supports Baylor.
slimecap
ctxbear
zunooreo said:

Onward Go said:

Weak.
Imagine being the greatest player of all time at an institution, doing everything supposedly required of you to receive proper recognition from said institution, and then not receiving that proper recognition from that institution. Would you step foot there?
Eball
she had to graduate which she has now and so it is likely it will happen soon if both sides want it and can work it out...I swear some of you create controversy where none exists....
Leonidas
I need to pay attention next time I am at Ferrell. What numbers has Baylor retired - WBB or MBB?
Lone Star
#0 Odyssey Sims
#23 - Suzie Snider Eppers
#31 - Sheila Lambert
#33 - Sophia Young
#5 - Melissa Jones
Leonidas
Lone Star said:

#0 Odyssey Sims
#23 - Suzie Snider Eppers
#31 - Sheila Lambert
#33 - Sophia Young
#5 - Melissa Jones
Thanks
baylor1984
BG
Nina
Kalani
Cox
Bruin92
I sure hope they don't retire her number...because the day after they do...her and Teurasi (sp?) will be out on social media bashing Baylor.

Britney made her own bed and she allowed Teurasi to be her voice. Sometimes there are consequences for your actions. Today's generation does not understand this.
MattyIce
Onward Go said:

When you can do nothing to help Kim, she is done with you..... Welp seems consistent with many other stories
samoore@swbell.net
BG did amazing things for this program. Kim had an issue with her being gay and they had a falling out but that does not take away anything from her accomplishments.
The class act of this institution would be to retire her number.
Bruin92
If Kim had an issue with gay players..she wouldn't have been able to field a roster for 20yrs.
DFW Bill
Nina Davis #13 was retired before the West Virginia game in January of 2020, I was there and after the game the Tip Off Club had a reception for her in the Stone Room that was jammed pre COVID 19.

Nina looked great in her Green dress and Gold high heals. Super player and a wonderful person.
DFW Bill
Following Griner should be Lauren Cox and Kalani Brown.

Anyone else? How about Kristy Wallace and DiDi Richards in the future?
allstate2000
Onward Go said:

Brittney's name has two Ts.

Also, Griner has gone on the record in countless interviews that her dad kicked her out of the house as a teenager when he found out (?) she was gay.

Not saying Kim was without fault in that situation, but quoting Brittney's father as the source here is very suspect. Reminds me a bit of NBA and NFL guys' dads who were out of the picture or estranged from their sons and magically reemerge when it's paycheck time.

baylor1984
DFW Bill said:

Following Griner should be Lauren Cox and Kalani Brown.

Anyone else? How about Kristy Wallace and DiDi Richards in the future?
Didi yes, Kristy no and I loved Kristy.
Old300Bear
Kim would not have retired BG's Jersey until she apologized to Baylor fans Due to comments published by Kate ***in about being mistreated because of her orientation. Baylor fans loved Griner, knew she was gay, loved her anyway. ***in was a cancer in Griner's life.
Griner and Kim had reconciled but Kim expected her to make things right with Baylor fans .
That is straight from the source.
Fred Barber
caesarscott
Leonidas said:

I need to pay attention next time I am at Ferrell. What numbers has Baylor retired - WBB or MBB?
look just above the water fountains.
Bruin92
Old300Bear said:

Kim would not have retired BG's Jersey until she apologized to Baylor fans Due to comments published by Kate ***in about being mistreated because of her orientation. Baylor fans loved Griner, knew she was gay, loved her anyway. ***in was a cancer in Griner's life.
Griner and Kim had reconciled but Kim expected her to make things right with Baylor fans .
A-freaking-men on this one. You want to come back to the family? Make it right.

I still think Taurasi fanned the flames here though. I'm sure Geno spews hatred about BU and our approach to faith to potential recruits. UCONN players hate Baylor...just watch ESPN.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Old300Bear said:

Nope. The only reason it hasn't happened yet is because of graduation requirement.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Bruin92 said:

Old300Bear said:

I still think Taurasi fanned the flames here though. I'm sure Geno spews hatred about BU and our approach to faith to potential recruits. UCONN players hate Baylor...just watch ESPN.
Geno has tons of respect for Kim and Baylor.
4th and Inches
samoore@swbell.net said:

BG did amazing things for this program. Kim had an issue with her being gay and they had a falling out but that does not take away anything from her accomplishments.
The class act of this institution would be to retire her number.

no, she did not... influential people at Baylor did and Kim protected her.
Onward Go
Old300Bear said:

Thanks for the info!
Onward Go
allstate2000 said:

Onward Go said:

Also, Griner has gone on the record in countless interviews that her dad kicked her out of the house as a teenager when he found out (?) she was gay.

Not saying Kim was without fault in that situation, but quoting Brittney's father as the source here is very suspect. Reminds me a bit of NBA and NFL guys' dads who were out of the picture or estranged from their sons and magically reemerge when it's paycheck time.

Please note -- I phrased everything as questions. I remember only hearing bits and pieces. It does appear that she reconciled with her father long before she received paychecks. He was at quite a few BU games and is on the video of the 2012 NC game.
allstate2000
Onward Go said:

allstate2000 said:

Onward Go said:

Please note -- I phrased everything as questions. I remember only hearing bits and pieces. It does appear that she reconciled with her father long before she received paychecks. He was at quite a few BU games and is on the video of the 2012 NC game.
Fair enough, but there are umpteen stories describing her getting kicked out and her "tumultuous relationship" with her father. Probably at the root of some of her issues that we saw surface in relationship with Glory Johnson etc.
Bruin92
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Bruin92 said:

Old300Bear said:

If you don't think Geno would tell a lesbian recruit that she would struggle at Baylor because of its beliefsyou don't know Geno.

That had nothing to do with respect or a lack there of for Baylor.
allstate2000
Bruin92 said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Bruin92 said:

Old300Bear said:

If you don't think Geno would tell a lesbian recruit that she would struggle at Baylor because of its beliefsyou don't know Geno.

That had nothing to do with respect or a lack there of for Baylor.
I think he would but I also think that makes him more of a hypocrite because he (allegedly) negative recruited against Pat Summit for decades, insinuating to recruits that Tennessee was a "lesbian" program and UConn wasn't. I wonder if Taurasi is who changed his mind or if she didn't come out until after college?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.