Will BU now retire BG's #42?

9,086 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Eball
Old300Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I doubt Geno was alone in that. Bet nearly every coach we recruited against leveled that accusation at us.
Fred Barber
allstate2000
Old300Bear said:

I doubt Geno was alone in that. Bet nearly every coach we recruited against leveled that accusation at us.
That BU is a lesbian team?
Old300Bear
That the university is not gay friendly.
Fred Barber
LadyChickBear
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Old300Bear said:

Kim would not have retired BG's Jersey until she apologized to Baylor fans Due to comments published by Kate ***in about being mistreated because of her orientation. Baylor fans loved Griner, knew she was gay, loved her anyway. ***in was a cancer in Griner's life.
Griner and Kim had reconciled but Kim expected her to make things right with Baylor fans .
That is straight from the source.
Nope. The only reason it hasn't happened yet is because of graduation requirement.
She graduated in 2019.
LadyChickBear
Bruin92 said:

I sure hope they don't retire her number...because the day after they do...her and Teurasi (sp?) will be out on social media bashing Baylor.

Britney made her own bed and she allowed Teurasi to be her voice. Sometimes there are consequences for your actions. Today's generation does not understand this.
I so disagree with this attitude especially coming from a "Christian" school. Does anyone realize that she got professional counseling during the summer after leaving the WNBA for professional reasons. Brittney was set up to be used by the WNBA/LBQT group and she was desperate for approval and hurting. If you read her book, you will find that she has had many demons to battle. Without Brittney, who knows if the past 8 years would have happened? She deserves our respect and our forgiveness!! Do you remember that big smile and fun attitude? When she left, she was still just a kid and she had every nasty, vulgar insult in the world thrown at her every time we played away from home and especially in the Big 12. She deserves so much more than she has received from the fan base.

And in that vein, I am so happy we had Kim Mulkey for 21 years, but I think she owed all the loyal fans a press conference to say good-bye and express her appreciation for the fans. 20 year season ticket holder here.

Old high school teacher and I hate bashing kids.
Bruin92
LadyChickBear said:

Bruin92 said:

I sure hope they don't retire her number...because the day after they do...her and Teurasi (sp?) will be out on social media bashing Baylor.

Britney made her own bed and she allowed Teurasi to be her voice. Sometimes there are consequences for your actions. Today's generation does not understand this.
I so disagree with this attitude especially coming from a "Christian" school. Does anyone realize that she got professional counseling during the summer after leaving the WNBA for professional reasons. Brittney was set up to be used by the WNBA/LBQT group and she was desperate for approval and hurting. If you read her book, you will find that she has had many demons to battle. Without Brittney, who knows if the past 8 years would have happened? She deserves our respect and our forgiveness!! Do you remember that big smile and fun attitude? When she left, she was still just a kid and she had every nasty, vulgar insult in the world thrown at her every time we played away from home and especially in the Big 12. She deserves so much more than she has received from the fan base.

And in that vein, I am so happy we had Kim Mulkey for 21 years, but I think she owed all the loyal fans a press conference to say good-bye and express her appreciation for the fans. 20 year season ticket holder here.

I loved Brittney but she made her own bed. When she let that deviate liberal Taurasi speak for her and bash Baylor,,,,,,that was Brittney's choice. Sometimes choices have consequences. I don't need to read her book to know that.

Taurasi is a scumbag and Brittney should not have allowed herself to be used. I sure hope that one day she makes it right with Baylor. I'd love to welcome her back in.
LadyChickBear
Bruin92 said:

LadyChickBear said:

Bruin92 said:

I loved Brittney but she made her own bed. When she let that deviate liberal Taurasi speak for her and bash Baylor,,,,,,that was Brittney's choice. Sometimes choices have consequences. I don't need to read her book to know that.

Taurasi is a scumbag and Brittney should not have allowed herself to be used. I sure hope that one day she makes it right with Baylor. I'd love to welcome her back in.
And we have all made choices that dealt consequences. Forgiveness is also a choice and a commandment.
Bruin92
Old300Bear said:

No doubt. But Taurasi sure led the charge in getting it out there and I'll bet if you ask Lobo (and she would answer honestly) or any of the others, they would tell you the same. Geno is smart enough to use every angle he can use in recruiting.
setshot
I don't think that we have gone head to head against UCONN for very many recruits, though we certainly did with Lauren Cox. Geno has been very successful in recruiting nationally over the years and most of his recruits were not on our radar and vice versa.

The perceptions that have been generated about Baylor over the years have to a considerable extent been ones that we have been responsible for. The proscription against what is seen as undesirable sexual practices is in the handbook and in the university's proclamations, and while it more notably surfaces in women's sports, it is a much broader institutional expression than that. That was true when I was a student seventy years ago, and for many who cite their religious convictions as a rationale, it still is. It is just a fact of life in the athletic fast lane, and I suspect that our coaches have had a version of the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy in place for most of their tenure at Baylor.
4th and Inches
setshot said:

...I suspect that our coaches have had a version of the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy in place for most of their tenure at Baylor.
i know this is 100% fact in a couple of the Baylor womens sports programs, probably all of them.
LadyChickBear
If you are disgusted with Brittney, you won't like my response, but perhaps you should read her book. And she has struggled. Who wouldn't with the things that were said about her at every game by the fans of the other teams? That stopped for her in the WBNA. Suddenly, she was accepted as a complete person. Not that I agree with what happened in the media, but I believe she was heavily influenced by others.

She left the season early last summer in order to seek counseling and I am praying it helped her. There is so much more to this young lady than her sexual orientation and her basketball skills, but it seems we only see her through those two lenses..

According to Brittney's book, all of those girls were saddened by the way Kim reacted to them following the Louisville disaster. And I am not blaming Kim; that was hard for all of us, but it appears that she simply made some vague reference to not seeing most of them anymore and sent them home once they were back in Waco. And we have seen very little of those 4 seniors since that season.

I think that class was tough for Kim. But I also believe Kim and Brittney cared about each other. I hope someday there will be a reconciliation for all involved including Baylor and Brittney. She deserves it.
blueeyedbear
LadyChickBear said:

If you are disgusted with Brittney, you won't like my response, but perhaps you should read her book. And she has struggled. Who wouldn't with the things that were said about her at every game by the fans of the other teams? That stopped for her in the WBNA. Suddenly, she was accepted as a complete person. Not that I agree with what happened in the media, but I believe she was heavily influenced by others.

She left the season early last summer in order to seek counseling and I am praying it helped her. There is so much more to this young lady than her sexual orientation and her basketball skills, but it seems we only see her through those two lenses..

According to Brittney's book, all of those girls were saddened by the way Kim reacted to them following the Louisville disaster. And I am not blaming Kim; that was hard for all of us, but it appears that she simply made some vague reference to not seeing most of them anymore and sent them home once they were back in Waco. And we have seen very little of those 4 seniors since that season.

I think that class was tough for Kim. But I also believe Kim and Brittney cared about each other. I hope someday there will be a reconciliation for all involved including Baylor and Brittney. She deserves it.
Yes, there was a lot of behind the scenes drama on that team.
baylor1984
Hope CNC reaches out to BG. Love BG and she will always be a Bear. BG is the greatest player in Baylor WBB history.
slimecap
Would love to see a May 2022 WNBA exhibition game held at the Ferrell Center.
Phoenix Mercury vs ________.

BUatbirth
slimecap said:

And retire BG's number at the half.
baylor1984
slimecap said:

What an outstanding idea. Retire BG's number at halftime. Hopefully CNC can use some of her WNBA contacts and along with Baylor make something like this happen.
Adriacus Peratuun
Retire BG's number? Yes, as part of a "heal the wounds, let's be friends" campaign.

Do it with the Phoenix Mercury present? Hell no! Why would we give Diana Taurasi the perfect platform to blast Baylor?

It should be done in a way that Baylor......and ONLY Baylor......controls the narrative.

BUatbirth
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Retire BG's number? Yes, as part of a "heal the wounds, let's be friends" campaign.

Do it with the Phoenix Mercury present? Hell no! Why would we give Diana Taurasi the perfect platform to blast Baylor?

It should be done in a way that Baylor......and ONLY Baylor......controls the narrative.

Good point.
longtimebear
chorne68 said:

I sure hope Baylor gives her the respect she deserves and retires her number. I also hope she comes back often and always supports Baylor.
What about Griner giving the Respect Baylor deserves and apologizing for her verbal disrespect.
longtimebear
baylor1984 said:

slimecap said:

What an outstanding idea. Retire BG's number at halftime. Hopefully CNC can use some of her WNBA contacts and along with Baylor make something like this happen.
First thing I have ever disagreed about that SLIMECAP posted. Until Griner asks for forgiveness for her rant of years ago....she can stay living with her liberal friends and stay away from Waco.
baylor1984
longtimebear said:

baylor1984 said:

slimecap said:

First thing I have ever disagreed about that SLIMECAP posted. Until Griner asks for forgiveness for her rant of years ago....she can stay living with her liberal friends and stay away from Waco.
I hope Baylor can be a place where we can still honor and love someone ( BG) even though we don't agree with some of her viewpoints.
BaylorRocks
longtimebear said:

chorne68 said:

I sure hope Baylor gives her the respect she deserves and retires her number. I also hope she comes back often and always supports Baylor.
What about Griner giving the Respect Baylor deserves and apologizing for her verbal disrespect.
1,000%

Griner is not a nice person. She is a women's basketball player.

Can't believe so many green-n-golden's on here translate that into some kind of humanitarian (worship) status because of her success at basketball. She's a basketball player - period. So she can dunk, while most cannot, and was the dominate player across college WBB taking Baylor to an undefeated season. So she has helped lead teams to WNBA championships. So what. Doesn't make her some kind of saint of a person that Baylor (or you) should rain down accolades on.

I could not care any less if she ever returns to Baylor. Or if Baylor recognizes her in any way. That's long past...and I truly doubt that she gives a single rat's ass about it either.

Quit worshipping her......

Sic'em
chorne68
Griner should have her number retired and Kim should have a statue in front of the new field house.
BaylorRocks
chorne68 said:

Griner should have her number retired and Kim should have a statue in front of the new field house.
"Should"?
Why? Make your case.....

Sic'em
Lynnp550
This is how rumors get started. Kim never said ALL of her Baylor players graduated. She said all of her Baylor players who began and ended at Baylor graduated - not her exact words, but her exact meaning. If you want her exact words, they're in the speech she gave at LSU and the one she gave at her Naismith HOF induction.
Lynnp550
Taurasi
Lynnp550
Does anyone on this forum actually know Brittney Griner? Because her "rant" against Baylor may have been well justified, at least from her POV. Thing is you don't have to like her to recognize her contribution.

Schools retire jerseys based on excellence in a particular sport. Brittney and Odyssey were the power behind Baylor Lady Bears second Natty. If there is a better reason to retire a jersey, I don't know what it is.

PS Odyssey also came back to Baylor and finished her degree. Wouldn't it be awesome for both of these stellar athletes to have their jerseys retired in the same ceremony?
chorne68
zunooreo said:

chorne68 said:

"Should"?
Why? Make your case.....

Sic'em
No need. Best ever.
drahthaar
chorne68 said:

Entrances are usually pretty politely scripted and go well. The body of "work" speaks for itself with the HOF giving that an exclamation point. But exits matter, too, and this one was awkward at best. There has to be some time elapse before statues can be truly and accurately considered, and it should be at a time when grace and goodwill override any personal piques. Give it time.
BUVA
Odyssey's number was retired a couple of years ago.
slimecap
BUVA said:

Odyssey's number was retired

January 4, 2016
Lynnp550
Yes, it was. I know that -
and thanks for correcting!
fredbear
Kim lost her statue when she walked away. Her choice. Sad, she let others write her last chapter when she should have stayed and written her own narrative. But, for whatever reason, unlike Pat or Geno or Tara, she did not stay long enough to hear the band play. And no LSU band will play because her time will be so brief there. Time heals wounds, but we've got some huge damage control to take place before the administration starts casting her in bronze (or more appropriately GOLD). She made the mistake of handing them the wheel.
Eball
Administrations come and go who can predict the future still a bunch of Kim fans who believe Mack and admin could have kept Kim but let her walk. Hence a changing of narrative. How often are HOF coaches are allowed to walk ?
BaylorRocks
slimecap said:

BUVA said:

Odyssey's number was retired

January 4, 2016
I am in this picture. Bet you cannot guess which one I am in the background.

Sic'em
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.