When will new asst coaches be announced?

36,204 Views | 136 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BUatbirth
MrGolfguy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's about time to get going I'd say, times awastin'
Meladee
Collen said her first priority was to recruit her current players on the team.

While I'm sure she's also working on building a staff, she does have her priorities in order.
MrGolfguy
I think that job is done since they all indicated they are staying about a week ago (save Gusters & JO who left before the shiz hit the fan). Time to get a couple top notch asst's on board to recruit future Lady Bear ballers. Bringing back Bill Brock would be a great start.
Saddle Up!
Meladee said:

Collen said her first priority was to recruit her current players on the team.

While I'm sure she's also working on building a staff, she does have her priorities in order.
If I'm a current player, I want to know what the staff is going to look like.
Oldgrizzly
Give her a little time to get her assistants lined up. It has only been one week since she was hired. Now if there are not announcements by the end of this week, you might have a reason to complain.
TxRainMkr
I'm convinced our new coach knows X's and O's, so the key to her success will be recruiting at a high level. The importance of naming the right assistant coaches could make or break her.
Bigkahunaww
She's made one hire so far, looking forward to seeing the rest of her staff.
GO CNC !
Living the American dream in central Texas !
HoustonBear15
MrGolfguy
Tari Cummings & Sophia Young
2 good hires
Baylorbeargirl5
I keep hearing that Alex Olsen is staying. Does he not get an official announcement or is that not official?
Adriacus Peratuun
Baylorbeargirl5 said:

I keep hearing that Alex Olsen is staying. Does he not get an official announcement or is that not official?
There was an announcement from AD's office that he was remaining. Think that it wasn't a Coach Collen announcement because the medical staff don't report to coaches. Don't remember if that change was NCAA mandated or simply a Best Practice item, but team doctors/trainers are now [for past few years] AD office reports.

Good change. Game situations should never impact availability of players in health protocol determinations. Physicians/trainers holding out players for health reasons should be independent of coaching staff. The NCAA occasionally gets stuff right.
Adriacus Peratuun
Went & looked. It was a Best Practice update. Note item #9.

https://www.ncaa.org/sport-science-institute/athletics-health-care-administration-best-practices-0
Baylorbeargirl5
Thanks. That makes a lot of sense.
ScottS
Think Nina Davis gets a look? Brock? Messer?
historian
They will probably continue to announce piecemeal. Most notable of past few days was Sophia Young.
Old300Bear
Sophia is not really a coach. She will fill Jennifer Roberts job of getting players to class, keeping them eligible, and dealing with personal problems. Really glad to have her back. But to this point we still don't have another COACH on staff beside Coach Collen. Not a criticism, just stating fact.
Fred Barber
BUBBFAN
Old300Bear said:

Sophia is not really a coach. She will fill Jennifer Roberts job of getting players to class, keeping them eligible, and dealing with personal problems. Really glad to have her back. But to this point we still don't have another COACH on staff beside Coach Collen. Not a criticism, just stating fact.
Tari Cummings.
Old300Bear
Brain fart, totally forgot about her. So one down.
Fred Barber
BUVA
Is Messer gone for sure? I think I asked on another thread but can't find a reply.
BUatbirth
In CNC's interview on ESPN Central Texas ( posted in another thread)...she said there would prolly be another hire "early next week" (week of May 17). Would like to see her round out her staff this week. Need to get busy recruiting.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
BUatbirth said:

In CNC's interview on ESPN Central Texas ( posted in another thread)...she said there would prolly be another hire "early next week" (week of May 17). Would like to see her round out her staff this week. Need to get busy recruiting.

They're recruiting
BUatbirth
Brian Ethridge said:

BUatbirth said:

They're recruiting
Yes your right. I'm thinking better to recruit with all your cards on the table...so to speak. I know CNC has been on the phone...to Douda we know for sure. The others actively engaged? I know it's only been a very short time. I assume Nicki has reached out to Sammie...maybe Maddie...any word on those two?
Brian Ethridge
Staff
BUatbirth said:

Brian Ethridge said:

BUatbirth said:

They're recruiting
Yes your right. I'm thinking better to recruit with all your cards on the table...so to speak. I know CNC has been on the phone...to Douda we know for sure. The others actively engaged? I know it's only been a very short time. I assume Nicki has reached out to Sammie...maybe Maddie...any word on those two?

Yesterday
Meladee
BUatbirth said:

Brian Ethridge said:

BUatbirth said:

They're recruiting
Looking forward to Brian's interview drop, hopefully, this week.

No one can contact Sammie right now or Maddie, until Sept of this year. But Sammie and Maddie can call coaches and hopefully we get the scoop on if they have.
baylor1984
Brian Ethridge said:

BUatbirth said:

Brian Ethridge said:

BUatbirth said:

They're recruiting

Yesterday

Getting her and Maddie to Baylor will go a long way in ensuring Coach Collen success here at Baylor.
BUatbirth
Meladee said:

BUatbirth said:

Brian Ethridge said:

BUatbirth said:

They're recruiting
Looking forward to Brian's interview drop, hopefully, this week.

No one can contact Sammie right now or Maddie, until Sept of this year. But Sammie and Maddie can call coaches and hopefully we get the scoop on if they have.
Your right...my bad
Old300Bear
Sytia still hanging wit Kim.

Fred Barber
TxRainMkr
After this year, we lose Nalyssa and Queen. The single biggest hire that Collen has to make on the staff is a recruiter with connections to the top players in the next few classes. With Nalyssa and Queen gone, we are going to need some highly regarded posts.
Adriacus Peratuun
TxRainMkr said:

After this year, we lose Nalyssa and Queen. The single biggest hire that Collen has to make on the staff is a recruiter with connections to the top players in the next few classes. With Nalyssa and Queen gone, we are going to need some highly regarded posts.
Grace VanSlooten [Ohio post that transferred to IMG for next season] and Sa'Myah Smith [Desoto, TX] are two quality posts that the prior staff targeted and whose games fit the new offensive scheme.

Article contains video from VanSlooten's sophomore season. Now an inch taller. https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball/2020/11/8/21555815/grace-vanslooten-recruiting-arizona-womens-basketball-finalists-2022-top-10-notre-dame

Comparisons:

VanSlooten is a lot like Lauren Cox. Slightly better ball handler. Slightly less shotblocking.

Smith is a lot like Beatrice Mompremier but with MUCH better shooting form.

Get these two [and 1 perimeter player] and then focus on 2023.
Lone Star
Adriacus Peratuun said:

TxRainMkr said:

Grace VanSlooten [Ohio post that transferred to IMG for next season] and Sa'Myah Smith [Desoto, TX] are two quality posts that the prior staff targeted and whose games fit the new offensive scheme.

Article contains video from VanSlooten's sophomore season. Now an inch taller. https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball/2020/11/8/21555815/grace-vanslooten-recruiting-arizona-womens-basketball-finalists-2022-top-10-notre-dame

Comparisons:

VanSlooten is a lot like Lauren Cox. Slightly better ball handler. Slightly less shotblocking.

I believe Smith is recovering from ACL? She should be good by next year.

No guarantee that Queen is leaving next year. She could use another year of development and experience. Far too many players have short careers in WNBA (Christine Anigwe just got cut, as an example) that you might as well enjoy college to it's fullest unless you are a first rounder.
baylor1984
Lone Star said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

TxRainMkr said:

Comparisons:

No guarantee that Queen is leaving next year. She could use another year of development and experience. Far too many players have short careers in WNBA (Christine Anigwe just got cut, as an example) that you might as well enjoy college to it's fullest unless you are a first rounder.
Keeping Egbo and Bickle an extra year would be a big bonus for Nicki and the program.
Adriacus Peratuun
Lone Star said:

Smith was injured about 1/3 of the way into her sophomore season. She returned this past season [junior year] and played with a knee brace all season. My understanding was that the brace was simply precautionary.

Smith was a National Top 15 recruit and then dropped to National Top 50 this season. Part was the injury, part is her team. That Desoto team had 8ish players likely to get Div. 1 scholarships. None of them got very many shots [compared to top players on other teams] due to their depth.

She is 6'4 and super athletic and has a nice jump shot [good form, good results] out to 15-18 feet.

As far as Queen......so many variables, but most players with pro aspirations tend to go get paid.
Jpbu152001
It would be amazing to get these two players! I guess we can sale early playing time more than likely!
Jpbu152001
So Arkansas just announced a new assistant not named messer. Does that mean she is not going there?
SSadler
I know this may not be what is being suggested, but I'm for Coach hiring the recruiter she wants for the long haul regardless of which coaches might already have connections with players who can help us immediately.

I'm spoiled like everyone else. But I'm OK with a several year rebuild of a roster if that's what it takes Cullen to do (and we all know rebuilding a roster is not the same as rebuilding a program though the two can be parallell processes).

We're going to be fine. Attendance will probably tail off after next year (unless Cullen and next year turn magical). Cullen may prove to be what other coaches who follow greats are--transition coaches for a few years. I hope not; but so be it if it happens.

My barometer for success and what will keep me buying tickets is the same barometer as in past football rebuild years--just coach and play exciting ball. If you're out-athleted, so be THAT. Play the game within the rules; play a game that is fun to watch; recruit TO BAYLOR; graduate your players.

My money and my butt in a seat will follow.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.