When will new asst coaches be announced?

36,321 Views | 136 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BUatbirth
IowaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You're right Kim is SCREWED. Bet she goes like 10-25 next year. After all shes garbage and the reason she won was because of her assistants right ?
MJ Bear
I never said that. Kim is the most successful coach in Baylor history. She is a dear friend of mine. I was at the last two national championships and 7 of the Big 12 championships. Going to a party for one of the departing coaches as soon as I leave the office. I think the world of Kim and her staff, but, I am a Baylor fan.
BUbackerinET
I too thought it was Stiles.
BUatbirth
My gosh. One could start a thread describing how to nail two pieces of wood together and someone would find a way to weave Kim Mulkey into it. This thread is about Nicki Collen and her staff hires. Focus people, focus.
Bone Squad
Wait, are we nailing or weaving?
IowaBear
Kim was brought into this thread by Sicem45 not me. And you are correct Kim has nothing to do with this thread. Starting to think Kim slept with Sicem's husband
fredbear
Sadler,

I know you are a great fan and better man. NC will win you over quickly and you'll be carrying her flag. Not because she wins all the games, but because you like quality people. And I agree long term pic is more important than a recruit here and there by coaching hires. That is a desperation move whenever schools do that. Tech comes to mind. Blessings

BaylorRocks
fredbear said:

Sadler,

I know you are a great fan and better man. NC will win you over quickly and you'll be carrying her flag. Not because she wins all the games, but because you like quality people. And I agree long term pic is more important than a recruit here and there by coaching hires. That is a desperation move whenever schools do that. Tech comes to mind. Blessings

fredbear, err Mack, I'll say it again that it is not good or healthy for you to follow and post on this site. Go back to focusing on running Baylor athletics into the ditch.

Counting the days until you leave......

Sic'em
Bear2019
zunooreo said:

fredbear said:

Sadler,

fredbear, err Mack, I'll say it again that it is not good or healthy for you to follow and post on this site. Go back to focusing on running Baylor athletics into the ditch.

Counting the days until you leave......

Sic'em
Too many late night walks with lysergic acid diethylamide. All of the bulbs are officially burned out.
fredbear
You guys can do better than that, surely.
Bone Squad
fredbear said:

You guys can do better than that, surely.
Eball
sicem45 said:

Oldgrizzly said:

I thought by now we would have a coaching staff developed. Now I am getting concerned.
Just have one more hire to make.

Meanwhile, Kim only has one hired person in two months since being hired and Rice may be receiving a demotion as well potentially.
Ok...I am not concerned with the hiring of coaches...that will come in due time...everyone can double up and work harder to recruit...what does concern me is lack of depth for next year...we only have 8...a very good 8 but just not enough for an entire season? Any word as to when we will be adding some more bodies for next year? Do you have any concern about next years roster as of end of June?
Old300Bear
We have a banged up 8. Concerning, but it is what it is.
Fred Barber
slimecap

Unless an assistant coaching announcement is made soon
I will be scheduling an appointment with an orthopedic hand surgeon

Most popular name that continues to be texted to me
Andrea Robinson
Adriacus Peratuun
Don't be surprised if the wait lasts another 4-6 weeks.

Don't be surprised if the final hire is a current WNBA coach with international coaching experience [ties for recruiting].

Don't be surprised if the final hire functions as an Offensive Coordinator of sorts.
DFW Bill
For those of you that don't know Adrea Robinson. She is the current Head Coach of the DeSoto Eagles and the new Class 6A State Champions, She also was the Head Coach at Ft Worth Dunbar when they won two 5A State Championships with Brooklyn Pope. Well known not just in the DFW area but statewide as well. She has gotten to the Final 4 in Austin 6 times, winning 3, There is more good background information on Andrea, nice resume.

Do we need another WNBA Coach or someone that can recruite Texas?
drahthaar
DFW Bill said:

For those of you that don't know Adrea Robinson. She is the current Head Coach of the DeSoto Eagles and the new Class 6A State Champions, She also was the Head Coach at Ft Worth Dunbar when they won two 5A State Championships with Brooklyn Pope. Well known not just in the DFW area but statewide as well. She has gotten to the Final 4 in Austin 6 times, winning 3, There is more good background information on Andrea, nice resume.

Do we need another WNBA Coach or someone that can recruite Texas?
I know where I would start....
BUatbirth
I wouldn't be upset with Andrea. However, I'll counter that Tari, Tony and Sophia all have Texas coaching experience. Sophia was running her own AAU program in San Antonio. I feel this staff can hold their own in Texas. I believe that CNC's 'W' coaching experience will be viewed by recruits as a definite plus. I don't know who AP has in mind. But my guess is hiring this person has less to do with being a coach in the W than having a pipeline to international talent. AP didn't say, this is just my thoughts.
Adriacus Peratuun
I think this last hire has two major criteria:

1) heavy Xs & Os experience on the offensive side [with emphasis on 1 In 4 Out & 5 Out sets], and

2) ability to open a secondary recruiting area.

Baylor WBB has always been [rightfully so] focused on Texas as its primary recruiting base and had Louisiana & Arkansas as secondary recruiting areas [with the occasional player from elsewhere]. Neighbors has turned off the Arkansas tap with his success. Mulkey will turn off the Louisiana tap. Texas alone is not a large enough talent pool. Baylor has looked to Florida, California, and Atlanta AAU programs with some success. Those areas are also REALLY competitive areas to recruit. Oregon successfully dabbled in international recruiting but lost its hookup. UConn uses international players routinely. It is a large pool of talent with players who already understand the type of offensive schemes Baylor will be running.

Having a coach with connections to international players is more important than having a 3rd coach connected to Texas AAU where Baylor is already the biggest fish in the pond.

BUbackerinET
I'm with you here
slimecap
slimecap said:

Unless an assistant coaching announcement is made soon
I will be scheduling an appointment with an orthopedic hand surgeon

Most popular name that continues to be texted to me
Andrea Robinson

slimecap
Since May 3, texting traffic has been an avalanche about BU assistant coach choices!!

Because CNC did not announce the 3rd assistant yesterday
Here is the timeline we are viewing:
July 01 Last day for transfer portal entry
July 11 Last WNBA Connecticut game prior to Olympic break
Aug 15 First WNBA Connecticut game after Olympic break

If the choice is Chelsea Lyles
It would appear that the announcement would be made after July 1. Since CNC was an AC for current HC Karl Smesko 2014-15, you might speculate that she would respect Smesko by making announcement after the transfer portal closed. Therefore, players recruited by Chelsea Lyles would not leave FGCU to stay with Lyles.

If the choice is Brandi Poole
It would appear that the announcement would be made after July 11. WNBA Connecticut HC Curt Miller has always referred to Brandi Poole as "my Chris Dailey". Since HCCM & CNC are good friends, you might speculate that she would respect Miller by waiting until the 4 week Olympic break to allow time for a transition for her replacement.

If the choice is Jackie Stiles
I do not know the medical screening requirements that are required for Baylor assistant coach applicants.

Earlier on this thread, I posted this information
"Most popular name that continues to be texted to me
Andrea Robinson"
Since none of my texters have verified that they have had a direct conversation with Robinson on this topic, I am keeping her name in the "Rumors" category.
BUbearinARK
Slimecap:

Always poised amd ready to pounce on new intel.
slimecap
BUbearinARK said:

Slimecap:

Always poised amd ready to pounce on new intel.
Luv it !! Thanks BUbearinARK
slimecap

WNBA Connecticut Sun guard Jasmine Thomas gives WNBA Atlanta Dream head coach Nicki Collen a hug as Sun coaches Curt Miller, left, and Brandi Poole look-on before the Sun play the Dream on July 19, 2019 at Mohegan Sun Arena.
BUatbirth
Yea, Brandi Poole seems like the odds on favorite at this date. But I don't get the holdup. If it's Brandi, I would expect a press release announcing her departure whenever from the Sun to join CNC.blah blah blah. Done all the time. Not like there is a need to keep a Poole hire quiet the way a college coach might be. I don't know, thinking out loud cuz things are really slooowww.
TxRainMkr
You don't think hiring an assistant coach to bring a talented player makes a difference? Bill Brock was hired, and brought Shelia Lambert. Jennifer Roberts was hired, whose Dad funneled Kim a player named Sophia Young. Kim Mulkey herself has to take credit for Brittney Griner. Coaches were limited by player contact recruiting restrictions. Kim got her daughter, Mackenzie, placed as a player on Brittney's summer team. The NCAA allowed Kim to attend every game to watch her daughter play, and thus talk to Brittney and her parents at every game while other NCAA coaches were only allowed limited contact periods.

Of course, the worst move is hiring the coach who ends up not bringing the player - our men's program's experience hiring Dwon Clifton who ended up not being able to bring John Wall.

If we hired the DeSoto coach, I'd hope we'd have our choice of DeSoto players to sign.
slimecap
slimecap
UPDATE July 12, 2021
WNBA Connecticut is 3rd overall in WNBA standings

July 11 Last WNBA Connecticut game prior to Olympic break
Aug 15 First WNBA Connecticut game after Olympic break

If the choice is Brandi Poole
It would appear that the announcement would be made after July 11. WNBA Connecticut HC Curt Miller has always referred to Brandi Poole as "my Chris Dailey". Since HCCM & CNC are good friends, you might speculate that she would respect Miller by waiting until the 4 week Olympic break to allow time for a transition for her replacement.
TxRainMkr
And today is July 12
BUatbirth
Figured Slimecap was on to something. Now what is the holdup? With the Olympic team in some capacity?
Paint is almost dried. I'll keep watching.
slimecap
Hi BUatbirth
Rumors, rumors rumors ...
I am ready for an announcement on the 3rd BU assistant coach.
Now a new wave of chatter is circling about the tweet below. My texters are asking if Baylor would pick up one of the assistant coaches at the university where the change is happening.
BUatbirth
Thanks slimecap! Yea, I was joking around to break the silence. This sounds interesting. You do so much for this sight. Thank you again.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.